Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Towing another bike idea

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Towing another bike idea

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-08, 10:17 AM
HSean

Bikes: Many. Ralieigh sports`s, Raleigh Superbe, sears Spaceliner, Firestone supercruisers, many vintage mountain bikes, random cruisers, and other unique bikes.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Towing another bike idea

So anyway, on garbage day I go out to find bikes people throw out, theres always alot, and I have to bike home everytime I find one, but wouldn't you wanna find more then one when your riding a bike and don't drive a car? I thought of a very easy item to use to fix this problem, simple thing, bike forks, two of them, and a set of bull horns, i'm making the item today and will post pictures when done, if you wanna very low budget way to tow a bike, best with no rider on it, this this is awsome for the job, pictures today or tomorow of finished product.
Old 06-15-08, 11:54 AM
HSean

Bikes: Many. Ralieigh sports`s, Raleigh Superbe, sears Spaceliner, Firestone supercruisers, many vintage mountain bikes, random cruisers, and other unique bikes.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
beta

This is what I came up wit, it pulls lighter bikes no problem, heavy is more diffacult to mount,, if this is put on a heavyer bike it may be easy, also it aint welded yet so lighter is best, this is a basic idea, mines quick release,

Old 06-15-08, 12:06 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
That's an innovative solution. Well done!
Old 06-16-08, 11:02 AM
Giro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it strong enough over bumps/potholes? Pannier-type or QR mount on rear rack?

Originally Posted by HSean
This is what I came up wit, it pulls lighter bikes no problem, heavy is more diffacult to mount,, if this is put on a heavyer bike it may be easy, also it aint welded yet so lighter is best, this is a basic idea, mines quick release,
Nice. I've wondered about how to do this so that I could meet someone with a second bike for the other person. I've seen workers at my LBS ferrying a second bike just by holding the second bike (by the seat or handlebars; I forget) and having it roll along in parallel to the bike they were pedaling; not something I will ever attempt!

My one concern is if your set-up is strong enough if you hit a bump or small pothole while trailing a second full-size bike. If that is a problem, a second connection to the seat or rear rack would convert your cantilever design into a triangular structure and be stronger.

I had been thinking of a pannier-type arrangement with a narrow rigid box that the front wheel of the second bike would drop into and be secured (bungees?). The second bike's front wheel axle would be just to the side, almost directly over, the first bike's rear axle. This should allow a very strong connection. Although the two bikes would not be exactly in line, I don't think it would be a problem.

Alternatively, with a quick release front wheel on the second bike, I thought of putting a quick release mount (sold for mounting a bike's front fork to the bed of a pickup truck, etc.) on the top of the tow-bike's rear rack. Then you could mount the second bike's fork to the rear rack, have a separate arrangement for the second bike's front wheel (pannier-type arrangement or maybe on a front rack). The QR mount would have to be on a hinge or pivoted for this to work well.

Never got beyond the concept stages, however, unlike you. Congrats!

Last edited by Giro; 06-17-08 at 07:49 PM. Reason: diamond -> triangular; QR needs to pivot/hinge
Old 06-16-08, 02:24 PM
lookingforcool

Bikes: 1996 Cannondale Delta V500 [hey, it rolls...], 2008 Trek 7.3FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this seems to work pretty well:

https://www.bikerubbish.com/bikey/index.php?itemid=260
Old 06-16-08, 05:06 PM
HSean

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

It is not finished yet, this is only for light bikes, it will eventualy be very solid and hold even a person, i'm also making one of those extrabikes i like that idea and mine will have a cargo box like a cube van lolthat detaches into flat bed, Extra are the ****, awsome things lol
Old 06-17-08, 11:41 PM
Giro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
YouTube video of towing second bike

Originally Posted by Giro
I had been thinking of a pannier-type arrangement with a narrow rigid box that the front wheel of the second bike would drop into and be secured (bungees?). ...
Searched and found someone who did almost exactly this. Seems to work well in the YouTube video: LINK

Last edited by Giro; 06-17-08 at 11:51 PM.
Old 06-21-08, 10:26 PM
Black Bud
One Tough Cookie.

Bikes: Too many and not ENOUGH!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lookingforcool
Originally Posted by Giro
Searched and found someone who did almost exactly this. Seems to work well in the YouTube video: LINK
Both neat ideas which I could use on occasion. The second one (attach front of bike to rack on one side) would likely work better for everyday use.

My discussion board, another resource for the "utility" and commuter cyclist: "Two Wheeled Commuter: The Everyday Cyclist"
Old 06-24-08, 01:52 PM
auk
Coasting makes you grumpy

Bikes: Specialized Stumpjumper M2Comp; Habanero Ti-Team; Slingshot Road; 1962 converted Raliegh fixer aka: The Beast

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And then there is this one too. Not mine, but it makes me want one badly.