Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Hydration / Nutrition on Long/Hilly Rides as a Clyde

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-16, 07:36 AM
Pakiwi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I guess I am still trying to figure out my nutrition / hydration for rides.
I am a clyde at 225 lbs 5'6" and have been riding 2.5 years
So far this year have around 1100 miles in and most trainer rides have been strength training and mixture of low cadence hi power and hi cadence work. Have about 20,000 ft of climbing on the road due to weather keeping me inside more than I wanted. I am in much better shape than I was a year ago.

I am training for some big rides this year. The first one in 2 weeks which is 75 miles with 5800 ft of climbing.
Saturday I went out and did 3 hours with a mixture of hill repeats and a loop ride. Stats were 30 miles 3500ft of climbing. I felt really good, felt strong and could have repeated without any issue.
Yesterday I went out and was to do 4 hours on a flatter ride. I cut short after 3 hours. Legs felt fine, couldn't get heart rate over 145. Rode 40 miles 1500 ft of climbing. I ate before I went out. 2 pieces of toast and peanut butter. I ate on the ride a protein bar, a gu gel and scratch labs chews, about 500 calories as well as 3 bottles of fluid. So not sure what my problem is. Saturday was a much harder day.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Allan
Old 04-18-16, 08:36 AM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pakiwi
I guess I am still trying to figure out my nutrition / hydration for rides.
I am a clyde at 225 lbs 5'6" and have been riding 2.5 years
So far this year have around 1100 miles in and most trainer rides have been strength training and mixture of low cadence hi power and hi cadence work. Have about 20,000 ft of climbing on the road due to weather keeping me inside more than I wanted. I am in much better shape than I was a year ago.

I am training for some big rides this year. The first one in 2 weeks which is 75 miles with 5800 ft of climbing.
Saturday I went out and did 3 hours with a mixture of hill repeats and a loop ride. Stats were 30 miles 3500ft of climbing. I felt really good, felt strong and could have repeated without any issue.
Yesterday I went out and was to do 4 hours on a flatter ride. I cut short after 3 hours. Legs felt fine, couldn't get heart rate over 145. Rode 40 miles 1500 ft of climbing. I ate before I went out. 2 pieces of toast and peanut butter. I ate on the ride a protein bar, a gu gel and scratch labs chews, about 500 calories as well as 3 bottles of fluid. So not sure what my problem is. Saturday was a much harder day.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Allan
That's a lot of calories for a three hour ride. I typically eat very light before a ride (one cliff bar max), and then I live on Gu for the rest of the ride, taking one gel every hour, no more no less. Oh, I always take one gel before setting out.

On hot days, I'll also take in one Emergen-C powder every two hours. I usually just pour the powder directly into my mouth and force it down with some water. I never eat solid food while riding.

I do feast when it's over though.
Old 04-18-16, 08:41 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Sounds like the effects of over training to me. Your legs were likely more tired from the ride on Saturday than you realized, and the Sunday ride, despite being flatter, had you run out of steam. I doubt nutrition was the issue, based on what you ate, more likely just fatigue.
Old 04-18-16, 08:58 AM
Pakiwi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by baron von trail
That's a lot of calories for a three hour ride. I typically eat very light before a ride (one cliff bar max), and then I live on Gu for the rest of the ride, taking one gel every hour, no more no less. Oh, I always take one gel before setting out.

On hot days, I'll also take in one Emergen-C powder every two hours. I usually just pour the powder directly into my mouth and force it down with some water. I never eat solid food while riding.

I am trying to figure out what my issue is as last year when I did Storming Thunder ridge, I hit the same issue after 65 miles and couldn't finish the ride. Thinking it was either hydration or nutrition, decided I would eat and drink more on the bike. Storming Thunder ridge is a 100 mile 10000 ft of climbing with a 3300 ft climb at mile 30 which I got over, but then hit the wall when I hit the next hills at mile 65.
I know it was cooler Saturday when I was doing the hill repeats
Old 04-18-16, 09:00 AM
Pakiwi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thing is I felt fine. I felt strong Saturday after the ride, and felt like I could have done another couple of repeats no problem at all.
I felt good yesterday, not tired or sore.
Today my thighs are achey.
Old 04-18-16, 09:07 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Thing is I felt fine. I felt strong Saturday after the ride, and felt like I could have done another couple of repeats no problem at all.
I felt good yesterday, not tired or sore.
Today my thighs are achey.
Yes, your thighs are telling you that you did too much over the weekend! Rest/recovery days are as important as training days.
Old 04-18-16, 09:10 AM
Pakiwi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today is a recovery day. Zone 3 on Tuesday.
Agree recovery and rest days are important and built into my schedule as well as good sleep.
Old 04-18-16, 09:13 AM
ypsetihw

Bikes: s-1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 it just sounds like you're tired. treat yourself to some carbs and get a good night of sleep, and you'll probably feel much better.
Old 04-18-16, 09:25 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
Sounds like the effects of over training to me. Rest/recovery days are as important as training days.
This.
Old 04-18-16, 09:28 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The longer I ride, the more I realize that I feel the effects of a hard day on the day(s) after than I do on the day. So its up to me to moderate that output accordingly.

Live and learn or rather ride and learn in this case.
Old 04-18-16, 09:36 AM
Pakiwi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. I guess it surprised me because I have felt so good this year and nice to get 3500 ft of climbing in. Its days like that the extra weight really sucks.
Old 04-18-16, 11:06 AM
ohiogsp

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac, Guru Flite, Santa Cruz Superlight, Origin 8 Crawler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by baron von trail

Same here 1 gu every hour but as everyone said your legs r tired. Rest then when u ride again it will feel like u can do anything.
Old 04-18-16, 01:46 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Give Perpetuem by Hammer a try. You can buy it in individual packets so you can try it without committing to a large quantity. I take it with me on loaded tours when there will be days when I won't have access to food for long, hilly/mountainous stretches.
Old 04-18-16, 02:16 PM
baron von trail 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ohiogsp
Same here 1 gu every hour but as everyone said your legs r tired. Rest then when u ride again it will feel like u can do anything.
Oh yeah, definitely. I cannot believe how strong I feel after a day or two off the bike.
Old 04-18-16, 02:26 PM
baron von trail 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am trying to figure out what my issue is as last year when I did Storming Thunder ridge, I hit the same issue after 65 miles and couldn't finish the ride. Thinking it was either hydration or nutrition, decided I would eat and drink more on the bike. Storming Thunder ridge is a 100 mile 10000 ft of climbing with a 3300 ft climb at mile 30 which I got over, but then hit the wall when I hit the next hills at mile 65.
I know it was cooler Saturday when I was doing the hill repeats
Barring the fact that maybe you just hit a wall based on fatigue, I found that nutrition can be tricky. Like I said, eating solid food on a hard ride often does not agree with me. The problem is it takes so damned long to digest.

Of course, I am over 50. So that plays a part. What I do now is eat as little as possible until I am done biking. On days when I ride over a century, I will stop for lunch. But, that's more for fun than anything else.

When I do eat, I try to eat light,and I usually spend the first hour after eating riding at a moderately slow pace. If I am not careful: eat the wrong food, eat too much or try going too fast right after eating; my body rebels. It's far worse than if I just chose not to eat and stuck with the gels. Far worse. But, just riding all day without stopping for a nice lunch is sort of a bummer too. Can't have everything, I guess.
Old 04-18-16, 03:00 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I think how you feel on the day of a ride also depends on what you ate / drank / slept the preceding few days.
Old 04-18-16, 07:07 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
over training

And forget the protein bars on the bike.
Old 04-18-16, 07:34 PM
Pakiwi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Correction that was Cliff bar
Old 04-19-16, 09:20 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
So far this year have around 1100 miles in and most trainer rides have been strength training and mixture of low cadence hi power and hi cadence work.

Yesterday I went out and was to do 4 hours on a flatter ride. I cut short after 3 hours. Legs felt fine, couldn't get heart rate over 145. Rode 40 miles 1500 ft of climbing.
You over-exerted yourself for your current fitness level.

To over-simplify, fitness can be summarized as a weighted, exponentially decaying (with six weeks an average time to lose half your fitness) daily average from the product of intensity squared and time.

IOW, for a given level of fatigue you could ride four times as far at half the speed.

How fresh you are is the difference between that and what you've been averaging (with seven days an average time to lose half your fatigue) recently.

If you were doing something equivalent to those three hours six days a week you wouldn't notice.

OTOH, 1100 miles / 11 miles per hour = 100 hours and not 1 hour a day since the beginning of the year.

I ate before I went out. 2 pieces of toast and peanut butter. I ate on the ride a protein bar, a gu gel and scratch labs chews, about 500 calories as well as 3 bottles of fluid. So not sure what my problem is. Saturday was a much harder day.
You're doing too much for your current fitness level, and eating more won't help.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 04-19-16 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-19-16, 10:27 AM
Pakiwi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. Good information. Still learning with lots of learning to do.
Old 04-19-16, 10:43 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 275 Posts
your eating is on point IMO. Your stomach and only digest 3-400 cals per hour so pointless to eat more than that. Problem is finding fast digesting food that won't take long to break down. You generally don't need to eat for the first hour (unless you didn't eat breakfast), so hour 2&3 you added 500 cals total + what was in the drinks.

Chalk it up to tired day after a hard ride (sat). Keep it up, keep eating like that and you should be OK. If you put more effort it, maybe get a few more Gel will Caffeine to help give you a boost. Or a coffee stop is always good on long rides. Try to remember you are eating to fuel your body for later in the ride, not at that exact moment.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 04-19-16, 02:21 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Originally Posted by jsigone
your eating is on point IMO. Your stomach and only digest 3-400 cals per hour so pointless to eat more than that.
It can be closer to 250 although that may be enough to cause digestive distress when riding.

Problem is finding fast digesting food that won't take long to break down.
Energy bars like those from Clif are fine, made mostly of carbohydrates which you can digest, plus fat for satiety and protein to stave off mental fatigue.

You generally don't need to eat for the first hour
It's more complicated than that. Your fraction of energy coming from glycogen varies with exertion level, training, and diet. How much energy varies with intensity.

Riders with good aerobic bases can usually do without food on rides under four hours. Much beyond that you need to eat from the beginning to stay ahead of your needs.
Old 04-19-16, 02:24 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Absent eating, hydration, and fit issues which don't show up until later you can usually do your weekly total time in one ride provided you're still fresh from not riding more than your usual daily average.

Take a couple easy days before then (don't ride if you can't restrain yourself), and don't plan on intense rides the following week.

You'll also need to pace yourself appropriately. For five hours you can't average more than your aerobic threshold which is where breathing becomes rhythmic, conversation doesn't flow, and lactate starts to accumulate. That's somewhere in Friel Z1 or Z2 depending on training.

Doing that in hills may take lower gears than you have.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 04-19-16 at 02:32 PM.