Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Raising handlebars on a Trek 7.2 FX to upright ride??

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 06-28-11, 08:51 AM
thehikerbiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi-

I am looking at moving to a hybrid type bike after riding mountain bikes for several years. I used to ride trails and hills but for the last few years its bike paths and mostly paved bike paths. My riding will be 90% paved bike path/road and 10% crushed limestone bike path. Primarily with friends or for some exercise. With the right bike I would even commute to work-its 15 miles each way.

Looking for a hybrid I can sit upright on as I get a sore back when bent over leaned out on my mountain bike or a road bike for long rides.

Test rode bikes like Trek 7000 and 7300, Specialized Crossroad, etc. Also looked at more fitness bikes like the 7.2 FX or a Canonndale Quick. Like the lighter weight of the fitness bikes but would like to sit up straight. Do not think I need the shock that some hybrids come with.

Wondering if it is possible to get something like a 7.2 or a Quick and change out the stem to an taller adjustable stem so I could ride upright?

I really like the upright riding position of something like a 7000 but wondered if it is possible to mod a fitness bike it to ride totally upright.

Make sense?

Could not get a straight answer from the one bike shop guy I talked to.

Is the do-able? Is it advisable? Or would raising it not work on the frame geometry?

If it is not I think I might just get the Trek 7000. Entry level-yes, but no suspension so lighter.
Old 06-28-11, 11:53 AM
jimbojonez

Bikes: 2011 Trek 7.5 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can easily switch out the stem to either an adjustable one or one with a higher angle.

You should be able to talk your LBS into doing the labor for free if they dont offer if your buying the bike new.

Id give a thought to trying out the FX or Quick as is for a few weeks, my last bike was more of a comfort bike that had a high adjustable stem and i quickly learned to like the lower handlebars on my FX better.

Last edited by jimbojonez; 06-28-11 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-28-11, 08:04 PM
G47

Bikes: Trek FX 7.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am having the same situation. June 20th I bought a FX 7.3 for my wife and a FX 7.5 for me. We both love the way the bikes feel but the low stem has both of us complaining about our wrists and lower backs hurting. My LBS ordered two stem extensions for us today. They assure me that this will be the ticket for pleasurable riding. I am skeptical but willing to put out the money if it will help me enjoy riding my new bike instead of looking forward to getting back home after less than a 10 mile ride. I think I will begin to enjoy the FX when I'm sitting more upright. I will update when I get the new stem/extensions installed and test them out. Suggestions are welcomed.
I also have an Electra Townie (Comfort Bike) that I bought in May for the wife and it is very comfortable even though it is heaver and slower than the FX.
Old 06-29-11, 05:08 AM
thehikerbiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
?Thanks for the input. I would like to hear your impressions when they get stem extension in and if it truly lets you ride upright.
Old 06-29-11, 07:09 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
don't do it. get a road bike with a relaxed geometry and raise the bars even more. this roadified hybrid commuter is my most comfortable bike. also my fastest. but it took a lot of work after I realized i bought the wrong kind of bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_8522.jpg (104.1 KB, 152 views)
Old 06-29-11, 10:15 AM
knobd

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
don't do it. get a road bike with a relaxed geometry and raise the bars even more. this roadified hybrid commuter is my most comfortable bike. also my fastest. but it took a lot of work after I realized i bought the wrong kind of bike.
I found this to be true for me as well. I previously owned both a Trek 7100 and 7.2 FX and neither were as comfortable to me as my current drop bar bikes. This was also due to those bikes being too small for me but I totally love the multiple hand positions and overall feel of my bikes. The geometry on my cyclocross bike is very comfortable and along with it's carbon fork I get virtually no hand discomfort. I've actually made the bike a tad more aggressive recently by lowering the bars and increasing the length of the stem. I had the stem shortened when I purchased the bike but now my body is getting used to being stretched out.

The FX's are nice bikes as well and if you want to stick with that then, like the above posters have said, you can easily get an adjustable stem installed that will solve your problems. A pair of barends would also be a good idea to give you more hand position options.
Old 06-29-11, 12:28 PM
buzp

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, Trek 7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Trek 7200 and was thinking about raising the bars until I started riding against some strong winds and realized that the upright position was kind of like raising a sail, it really creates more work for you. I tried lowering the bars and that actually seemed to make peddling easier. I have recently purchased a drop-bar road bike and I am really liking it. It is much more easy to ride for longer distances. As far as back pain, it really doesn't bother me any more than the hybrid and I am 65 years old with a bit of arthritis in the lower back.
Old 06-30-11, 10:24 AM
thehikerbiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rumrunn6- that is a great looking setup! Perhaps I will do something like that for bike two.

After talking to a couple of more bike shop and emailing Specialized and Cannondale I got a wide variety of responses. One dealer says no. The Trek dealer tells me the 7.2 fx can have a short adjustable in BUT it will not be a full upright ride. Canondale email says they can do it. Specialized did not seem to understand the question......

Well a few more test rides has led me to deciding that the Trek 7000 is the one. It is not perfect but had the best balance of what I was looking for.

All the Specialized, Cannondales, Fuji's etc I was able to ride or see all had front suspension which made them heavier than the 7000. I would have really liked the Alpha Black Alum frame the 7500 comes with as well as the higher components but again its heavier than the simple 7000.

So the plan now is to get the 7000, swap out to the hardcase tires, maybe upgrade the rear derailleur. Might even goto a slimmer saddle. Gives me a bike lighter and cheaper than other options.

Then if I find I need more I might look at the relaxed road mod.

Thanks for all the input. You folks rock!
Old 06-30-11, 06:34 PM
teicher

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have you consider bikes from Giant or Jamis? Something like the Giant Escape or Jamis Commuter might give you the riding position you are looking for.