Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Battery life in wireless Cateye bike computer

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-11, 09:51 AM
aracauna

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a used road bike and it came with a wireless cateye bike computer (can't remember the exact model number since I'm not at home). My question is about the battery life. It uses the 2032 watch-style battery, one of them in the computer part, but the battery goes dead in less than two months. The instruction manual I downloaded for the model doesn't mention any way to turn it off when it's not in use and I've taken the battery out and put it back in to rule out the possibility that the model is just in power saver mode and the buttons the manual says to push to awaken the computer just aren't working. The only way to get the thing working is a fresh battery.

Is this the normal battery life for a wireless bike computer? Is there something I can do to significantly improve the battery life of the unit? If not, I'm just going to stick to the GPS on my phone and Runkeeper/MapMyRide.

Jacob
Old 09-01-11, 04:33 PM
Steve530

Bikes: Klein

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Cateye Strada Double WIreless and my wife uses a Cateye Wireless on her bike. The battery life in both of these computers has been much longer than 2 months. More like 12 months, but I don't really keep up with it.

You might want to call tech support at Cateye and ask them about the model you have.
Old 09-01-11, 07:26 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
I have a year, adding to 3,500 miles and 240 hours on my Garmin cadence and speed sensor, with the original battery.

Is it your wheel sensor or your computer that needs a new battery?

A good source of inexpensive 2032 batteries is batterybob.com's 2032 page. They have 5 for $1.50 each, or 11 for $1.36 each, with free shipping.
Old 09-01-11, 08:00 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve530
I have a Cateye Strada Double WIreless and my wife uses a Cateye Wireless on her bike. The battery life in both of these computers has been much longer than 2 months. More like 12 months, but I don't really keep up with it.

You might want to call tech support at Cateye and ask them about the model you have.
I've had the Strada for years, and the previous 2 generations of Cateye wireless computers.

IIRC, the Strada goes into sleep mode after several days with no signal from sending unit. It stays this way until it gets a signal, then comes back on without any button pushing.

Batteries typically last a year or more.

I second Steve530's advice - call Cateye.
Old 09-02-11, 09:32 AM
ddimick

Bikes: 2011 Look 566 Ultegra, 2010 Specialized Sirrus Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Different parts of the display will start blinking depending on which battery is low. I can't remember which exactly, but check the manual and you'll see it there. Mine lasted about a year.
Old 09-02-11, 11:50 PM
timtim2008

Bikes: Schwinn Searcher E8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
is yours a CatEye Vectra Wireless Cyclocomputer?