Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

buy a bike questions and musings does any one know ...

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-12, 08:59 AM
scooterfrog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

please pick apart the concepts in the post

I currently have my eye on 2 flat bar road bikes from bikes direct. (i know they make their bikes themselves and the brands are just brands and there is some risk in buying from them.) I don't want a suspension fork.
The avenue fb 299 https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/.../avenue_fb.htm
the galaxy tour. 349 https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...alaxy_tour.htm
they both seem like a hell of a lot of bike for the money, but i want to have a "plan" to cover for what i see as potential.

They are very similar. Different frames and forks but same components
The galaxy has a carbon fork but the frame doesn't look as nice.
the avenue the frame is the same frame they use up their entire range.
50 buck seems like a good premium for a carbon fork. thoughts.

second as these are mostly road bikes i think the gearing may be a bit too road for me. (and that may be just for now as I get stronger it may not matter)
they both have the same gearing sunrace 12-25 8speed sora in the back and 52/42/30T in the front.
there is an sunrace 11-32 on amazon for $15.
https://www.amazon.com/SunRace-CSM66-Bicycle-Cassette-11-32/dp/B002G3BMJM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3NRRNL2AJ4PAS&coliid=I326DAJDNR92AS

Should I be looking at Shimano hyperglide to go with the sora 11-30 (this might be best) 0r 11-32(similar to above) or 11-34 (assume I wont use a small front small back or a big front big back))
https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-CS-HG4...glide+cassette

i think that would move the gearing to make it more wide. I am not sure I would ever use a 52-11, but being able to go down to 30-32 should be Plenty low enough.

Does that makes sense or would I be better off changing the chain rings in front 52/42/30T if so what (i can't tell if it's a compact crank or not so I can't figure out what to get. the front dr is clamp on so I can move it down a bit if i need to. 48/38/28T? educate me

third the tires are only 28c that's pretty narrow 1 1/4 ish these bikes have caliper brakes so I have an email out to them to see what will fit but I think a 32? or 35? might be better (more compliant). I also will need new tubes probably so this is a) a more expensive change than $15 but it may make a bigger difference.

the above options seem like better options than buying a new touring bike and converting to a flat bar. which means bar, shifters and brakes

looking for a used bike doesn't seem economical to me. any hard tail mtb i fins will need tires and a new fork at least and I probably wont get 700c wheels. any road bike i find will need a flat bar conversion also not particularly cheap. If I find a steal i might buy it but I haven't seen one yet.
Old 08-08-12, 09:09 AM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
You need to ask if the Sora derailluer will handle a 32 or 34 tooth cog, I think a Sora max's out at 27 and could possibly handle a 30 tooth cog but no more. Tire wise, I use 32's on my everyday/utility bike and 28's on my weekend/road bike, my 32's have a bit of raised tread (not knobbies) and my 28's are semi-slick road tires. Unless your doing loose dirt a lot, I'd go no wider than 32's, they handle a hard packed dirt trail fine but don't "suck" to the asphalt like 35's did, (jmho, ymmv).

Old 08-08-12, 09:12 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Are you sure you really want these bikes? You seem to want to make lots of changes right off the bat.

I had a look at those two bikes as attached and in my opinion they have very basic componants which are not worth spending any money on. How about you use the extra money you were thinking about spending on upgrading / changing, to put towards a decent bike that you don't have to swap parts on so quickly?

There are so many better hybrid bikes out there that would probably suit you, instead of the road bikes you linked to, and the conversion of a touring bike you mentioned.
Old 08-08-12, 09:50 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
What about the Motobecane Cafe Latte for $399? https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...fe_latte_x.htm

It says you can get it with a 11-32 cassette, though you may get one with a 12-26. Not sure why it says "no choice".
Old 08-08-12, 09:58 AM
scooterfrog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bjjoondo
You need to ask if the Sora derailluer will handle a 32 or 34 tooth cog, I think a Sora max's out at 27 and could possibly handle a 30 tooth cog but no more. Tire wise, I use 32's on my everyday/utility bike and 28's on my weekend/road bike, my 32's have a bit of raised tread (not knobbies) and my 28's are semi-slick road tires. Unless your doing loose dirt a lot, I'd go no wider than 32's, they handle a hard packed dirt trail fine but don't "suck" to the asphalt like 35's did, (jmho, ymmv).
you answered my tire question.
on the sheldon brown site it says that most rdr as specked conservatively to handle user mistakes like using the small front and small back and vice versa) but its worth considering.
Old 08-08-12, 10:02 AM
scooterfrog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
What about the Motobecane Cafe Latte for $399? https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...fe_latte_x.htm

It says you can get it with a 11-32 cassette, though you may get one with a 12-26. Not sure why it says "no choice".
it says no choice be cause you get what you get which is based upon the current supplier deals to the manufacturer.

that bike isn't much different from the avenue (or the galaxy except of for the carbon fork)
but it will definitely have lower gearing. it has cantilever brakes so large tire clearance isn't a problem. it was on my list

But i could buy the avenue and change the cassette and be out lets say 320 instead of 400. or the galaxy and have a carbon fork for 370.
Old 08-08-12, 10:13 AM
scooterfrog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you sure you really want these bikes? You seem to want to make lots of changes right off the bat.

I had a look at those two bikes as attached and in my opinion they have very basic components which are not worth spending any money on. How about you use the extra money you were thinking about spending on upgrading / changing, to put towards a decent bike that you don't have to swap parts on so quickly?

There are so many better hybrid bikes out there that would probably suit you, instead of the road bikes you linked to, and the conversion of a touring bike you mentioned.
links please.
lets say sora or equivalent mtb set, carbon fork, al frame, flat bar, no suspension with the equivalent of 1.07:1 for a low range (30:28) and 4.3:1 (52:12) for a high for less than 370. (that would be the galaxy with a new cassette)

tires with new tubes might add another 60 but I am not sure I need either of these things

I am really not sure I can do better than that.

also i am not sure I want to make these changes, but I want to understand what I might have to do. I am sure i can grow into the cassette, but for $15 i may not want to.

jamis allegro sport 580 Shimano Acera
Jamis coda sport (steel) 560 Shimano Acera
the allegro x looks too mountaininy for me 38c and its listed as 5lbs heavier than the allegro. I assume they list wiehgts so I can compare within the brand I know it varied by size.

i think Acera is similar to sora these both have better (lower for now) gearing and 32 c tires

Last edited by scooterfrog; 08-08-12 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-08-12, 10:14 AM
scooterfrog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bikes direct says both bikes can take a 700x30c tire i have trouble believing they could fit a 30 but not a 32. A quick google shows this is a cyclocross size (knobies)
so I need to figure out if that is a deal breaker. but the kendra quick is $15 on amazon and I could use the same tubes. so it would be $30 more for those tires. lots of 32s for low prices easy to test.

Last edited by scooterfrog; 08-08-12 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-08-12, 01:40 PM
scooterfrog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
its funny if I said I found a used bike for 350 that was perfect except i thought hte gearing was too high would everyone be suggesting what I initially suggested. (change the cassette or the front rings)
Old 08-08-12, 09:57 PM
bjjoondo 

Originally Posted by scooterfrog
links please.
lets say sora or equivalent mtb set, carbon fork, al frame, flat bar, no suspension with the equivalent of 1.07:1 for a low range (30:28) and 4.3:1 (52:12) for a high for less than 370. (that would be the galaxy with a new cassette)

tires with new tubes might add another 60 but I am not sure I need either of these things

I am really not sure I can do better than that.

also i am not sure I want to make these changes, but I want to understand what I might have to do. I am sure i can grow into the cassette, but for $15 i may not want to.

jamis allegro sport 580 Shimano Acera
Jamis coda sport (steel) 560 Shimano Acera
the allegro x looks too mountaininy for me 38c and its listed as 5lbs heavier than the allegro. I assume they list wiehgts so I can compare within the brand I know it varied by size.

i think Acera is similar to sora these both have better (lower for now) gearing and 32 c tires
Think of the Allegro as a "flat bar road bike", the Allegro X as a "Dual Sport", different missions, the X set up makes it more, DIRT worthy!! Take all weight listings with a "grain of salt" as usually they are set at a certain rider weight and frame size, which might not work with the particular unit you NEED, jmho. Acera is a decent mtb/hybrid derailer, just under Alivio and the Acera is very popular in Europe, where the Alivio seems more popular in the USA. (Acera isn't listed with the MTB/Hybrid derailleurs on the Shimano USA site, FYI.)

I own both a Coda Sport and a Allegro 1, which is a 2011 Allegro Sport basicly, the Allegro 1 I use for my "club/road" hybrid with it's Alum. Frame/cro-mo fork, the Coda Sport I use as my everyday/utility/trailer tugger, (I don't own a car!). Think of the Coda as a BMW 7 Series Coupe and the Allegro as a BMW ZX-4 Roadster, (LOL, yes I Like BMW cars! ) Hope this info. helps.

Old 08-09-12, 01:30 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
I'm a bit suspect if the Sun Race cassette isn't really a free wheel
Old 08-09-12, 01:41 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
...Does that makes sense or would I be better off changing the chain rings in front 52/42/30T if so what (i can't tell if it's a compact crank or not so I can't figure out what to get. the front dr is clamp on so I can move it down a bit if i need to. 48/38/28T? educate me...
A compact crankset is a double not a triple.
eg. https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...551_1111800_-1

How about looking at this Hybrid. A little more expensive but may be closer to what you're after...

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/....2/8910/48614/
Old 08-09-12, 07:48 AM
scooterfrog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by giantcfr1
A compact crankset is a double not a triple.
eg. https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...551_1111800_-1
huh... I thought compact was defined by the bcd. regardless swapping the cassette is a better option.

How about looking at this Hybrid. A little more expensive but may be closer to what you're after...

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/....2/8910/48614/
That looks great.

I have a feeling this is going to come down to what tier I can run. changing the gearing is relatively easy. but if the gravity above can only go to 30c (and going there will cost me on the order of $50 + the gearing change at 15- 25 (I need a freewheel tool) i end up at $375. we are within kissing distance. of that giant.
Old 08-09-12, 07:54 AM
scooterfrog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bjjoondo
Think of the Allegro as a "flat bar road bike", the Allegro X as a "Dual Sport", different missions, the X set up makes it more, DIRT worthy!! Take all weight listings with a "grain of salt" as usually they are set at a certain rider weight and frame size, which might not work with the particular unit you NEED, jmho. Acera is a decent mtb/hybrid derailer, just under Alivio and the Acera is very popular in Europe, where the Alivio seems more popular in the USA. (Acera isn't listed with the MTB/Hybrid derailleurs on the Shimano USA site, FYI.)
I am not interested in the allegro X. as with the weight i was only using it compare the 2 models. thinking jamis would take 2 "medium' frames and compare them. its not an absolute. i figured it was the difference an aluminum frma might make over the steel

I own both a Coda Sport and a Allegro 1, which is a 2011 Allegro Sport basicly, the Allegro 1 I use for my "club/road" hybrid with it's Alum. Frame/cro-mo fork, the Coda Sport I use as my everyday/utility/trailer tugger, (I don't own a car!). Think of the Coda as a BMW 7 Series Coupe and the Allegro as a BMW ZX-4 Roadster, (LOL, yes I Like BMW cars! ) Hope this info. helps.
the allegro sport looks about right. its 'less road' (gearing and tire) then what I highlighted above but i think its closer to what I want.
Old 08-09-12, 07:59 AM
scooterfrog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
I'm a bit suspect if the Sun Race cassette isn't really a free wheel
why? the one i linked to says cassette and it's the same 'family' as the one on the bike. they do have a freewheel on amazon tat is similar so I may have gotten it wrong.
Old 08-09-12, 08:42 AM
scooterfrog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok I am beginning to get it. there are basically 2 types of hybrids I am looking at. I am simplifying here. both have flat bars.

roadbikes that have evolved towards mtbikes like I initlay posted (and lots of others I have seen) these are basically road bikes (with caliper brakes and gearing, skinny tires ans sora or tiagra ot 105 components)

and mountain bikes that have evolved toward road bikes (fitnes sbikes?) the acera or alivio,or deore lower gearing cantelever brakes wider tires and many have suspension forks

there is also frame geometry etc.

quite simply i need to decide which i want. cost wise the bike i posted are cheap, but I am worried i may not like them, but I will probably grow into them. for more money i can get something i like today (anything wil lbe better thatn my 42lb craptastic full suspension bike) but I may need to replace as I get stronger but may not. (or add to my collection) to get a real road bike
Old 08-09-12, 08:46 AM
scooterfrog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i need to be cheap which is where i started.
this not a flat bar road bike, but the other kind.
diamond back insight2
https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...27_-1___202398

comments on quality?
Old 08-09-12, 11:02 AM
scooterfrog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work from home so I can post a lot with out the boss man over my shoulder.
sometimes I feel like I am talking to myself. but it helps to type it out.
at lunch I went and rode a trek 7.1 20 inch for 429. 20 minute ride a bit of hill etc. I like the shop as well so I bought a water bottle for their time.

musings. way faster that n my craptastic. gearing was too low. same as craptastic. really 28 front 34 rear on a bike that light. i could barely pedal fast enough to not fall over. (this is the same as craptastic by the way). when I mentioned it to the guy at the shop he told me all of this type of bike is geared that way (he called it mega range) and he told me not to worry he could change out the cassette for $25.

he then tried to steer me to the road bikes and said something about a flat bar conversion. (shorter stem, flat bars, new shifters and brake levers. now this was a considerable up sell in cost but I never gave him a budget, but it kind of puts me back where i started in post 1. except .... I am no longer concerned about the gearing
Old 08-09-12, 03:16 PM
bjjoondo 

i need to be cheap which is where i started.
this not a flat bar road bike, but the other kind.
diamond back insight2
https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...27_-1___202398

comments on quality?
Ok except for the POS Shimano M-131 Crankset, the chainwheels are Pinned together, can't replace them seprately, jmho.

Old 08-09-12, 03:17 PM
bjjoondo 

I work from home so I can post a lot with out the boss man over my shoulder.
sometimes I feel like I am talking to myself. but it helps to type it out.
at lunch I went and rode a trek 7.1 20 inch for 429. 20 minute ride a bit of hill etc. I like the shop as well so I bought a water bottle for their time.

musings. way faster that n my craptastic. gearing was too low. same as craptastic. really 28 front 34 rear on a bike that light. i could barely pedal fast enough to not fall over. (this is the same as craptastic by the way). when I mentioned it to the guy at the shop he told me all of this type of bike is geared that way (he called it mega range) and he told me not to worry he could change out the cassette for $25.

he then tried to steer me to the road bikes and said something about a flat bar conversion. (shorter stem, flat bars, new shifters and brake levers. now this was a considerable up sell in cost but I never gave him a budget, but it kind of puts me back where i started in post 1. except .... I am no longer concerned about the gearing
28/34 is for UPHILL, long grades uphill or loaded touring, FYI.

Old 08-09-12, 05:45 PM
Bunnicula

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
its funny if I said I found a used bike for 350 that was perfect except i thought hte gearing was too high would everyone be suggesting what I initially suggested. (change the cassette or the front rings)
Have you looked for used on CL? I see plenty of hybrids in my area, people trading up to road bikes quite often. Would certainly be cheaper, could prolly find a higher level FX than a 7.2, which will be more roadish, and the Specialized Sirrus is also very road-like. I'd be looking to get carbon forks. Besides absorbing vibration, bike is lighter and easier on climbs. Fuji also makes nice bikes at a cheaper price point.

musings. way faster that n my craptastic. gearing was too low. same as craptastic. really 28 front 34 rear on a bike that light. i could barely pedal fast enough to not fall over.
Really? Why?
Old 08-09-12, 06:26 PM
scooterfrog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bunnicula
Have you looked for used on CL? I see plenty of hybrids in my area, people trading up to road bikes quite often. Would certainly be cheaper, could prolly find a higher level FX than a 7.2, which will be more roadish, and the Specialized Sirrus is also very road-like. I'd be looking to get carbon forks. Besides absorbing vibration, bike is lighter and easier on climbs. Fuji also makes nice bikes at a cheaper price point.

Really? Why?
Because I need to be going about 4 mph to not wobble. I could not spin fast enough. I think I would fall over loaded or not. Uphill or down. maybe I just need to spin much much much faster. How slow can you go before you wobble. Maye it's just me

And yes I have looked on c l I am not finding any thing great on the North side of Boston. Any thing cheap is either old and in need of some tlc, that I must budget for, or of unknown quality. How good is an old nishiki. ?

Last edited by scooterfrog; 08-09-12 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-09-12, 06:57 PM
Bunnicula

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because I need to be going about 4 mph to not wobble. I could not spin fast enough. I think I would fall over loaded or not. Uphill or down. maybe I just need to spin much much much faster. How slow can you go before you wobble. Maye it's just me

And yes I have looked on c l I am not finding any thing great on the North side of Boston. Any thing cheap is either old and in need of some tlc, that I must budget for, or of unknown quality. How good is an old nishiki. ?

So now you lost me. You cannot get to 4 mph on a Trek 7.0? Yes, put the bike in a different gear and get some peddling going on. Even this bike is much lighter than your old bike. You should be able to do 12mph and upwards, no problem.
Old 08-09-12, 08:10 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
He's saying 28/34 is useless to him because he can't spin fast enough to keep the bike upright in that gear. I guess he wants all gears to be useful to him.

I dunno, I can go about 2.5 mph in a low gear and stay upright on my bike. Maybe a small bit of weaving, but still upright.

My lowest gear I think is 26/28, and I used it recently going up a steep grassy hill while hauling my son in his trailer behind me. I managed to stay upright and not have to put my feet on the ground. Just had to stay far forward over the bars to keep my front wheel from lifting up.
Old 08-09-12, 08:26 PM
scooterfrog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
He's saying 28/34 is useless to him because he can't spin fast enough to keep the bike upright in that gear. I guess he wants all gears to be useful to him.

I dunno, I can go about 2.5 mph in a low gear and stay upright on my bike. Maybe a small bit of weaving, but still upright.
Maybe 4 m p h Is an exaggeration, but you get my point. The gear seemed useless.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.