Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Specialized Sirrus (Sport or Elite) or Cannondale Quick 4

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?
View Poll Results: Which Hybrid to Choose?
Specialized Sirrus Sport
12.50%
Specialized Sirrus Elite
29.17%
Cannondale Quick 4
58.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-12, 07:14 PM
Bumer

Bikes: 2011 Trek Rumblefish (FS)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

Sorry for another "help me" thread. I was trying to find pros and cons between two (or) specific bikes - Specialized Sirrus (Sport or Elite) and Cannondale Quick 4 - but with no luck.

Few months ago I almost bought Trek FX 7.5. I rushed too fast, and thought that I might be making a mistake by going with hybrid, and not road bike. So, I wanted to think it over and almost was going to buy road bike. Then I decided to stop... cool off... and re-visit this idea few months later... Which is now.

So... as much as I wanted to find an excuse to go with road bike, I can't for one simple reason - I'm not going, and I don't want, to ride on roads. And if I'm not going to ride on roads, it does not make sense to buy road bike. With me so far?

Then, that leaves hybrid, because I do want faster bike, lighter than my FS MTB, bike with no suspension, that I can just take for a ride anywhere other than off-road. Makes sense?

After visiting few shops and reading this board about different bikes: I think I narrowed my choices down to:

- Specialized Sirrus Sport (~ $550) or Elite ($650 for 2012, or $730 for 2013)
- Cannondale Quick 4 (~$580 for 2012, or $620 for 2013)

Ohh, almost forgot... If I take it to bike trails, I'm planning to ride 20+ miles, time permitting 30-35 miles. That probably mean that I need bike with carbon fork, and can cross Sirrus Sport off the list?

How do bikes Sirrus Sport compares to Quick 4. Are there any reasons to favor one lot more than the other. I will tell you that Quick 4 looks insanely hot-hot-hot, especially 2013 model - black with red accents! Did I say hot?

All that being said, and assuming I like them equally, what I should think about or know picking the finalist?

Thank you very much!
Old 08-03-12, 07:59 PM
Noize4

Bikes: ‘16 Domane 4.6 Disc, ‘17 Bianchi Impulso S-Sport, ‘12 Giant Escape 0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Elite way better on the road, Quick 4 better on trails, mainly due to tires. Why can't you ride on the road?
Old 08-03-12, 08:37 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Lemme get this straight- you want a bike, other than your FS mtb? You don't want to ride on the road, yet want to ride everywhere other than off-road?
Old 08-03-12, 09:13 PM
Bumer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize4
Elite way better on the road, Quick 4 better on trails, mainly due to tires. Why can't you ride on the road?
Most of the roads around here are narrow, most times with no shoulders. Just don't want to ride on roads with cars.
What is it about tires on Elite vs Quick 4?

Originally Posted by no1mad
Lemme get this straight- you want a bike, other than your FS mtb? You don't want to ride on the road, yet want to ride everywhere other than off-road?
That's correct - everything in between, like railroad trails, bike trails, parks, sidewalks. I know I can ride my fs mtb, but it's heavy, and I want something light.
Old 08-03-12, 09:33 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
The Specialized has 700x28 tires and the Quick 4 has 700x32. Wider tires help with cushioning and a bit more stable on rougher surfaces.
Old 08-04-12, 07:52 AM
Bumer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Specialized has 700x28 tires and the Quick 4 has 700x32. Wider tires help with cushioning and a bit more stable on rougher surfaces.
Thanks for clarification!

Speaking of wider tires; will I be able to switch tires on Quick 4 to smaller, like 28 or even smaller, if I decide to take a long ride on pavement?
Old 08-04-12, 08:22 AM
treadtread

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Sirrus base has 32 tires, and even with the stock tires I can hit 20 miles per hour easily (with potential for more, I can't sustain higher speeds yet).
Old 08-04-12, 12:20 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bumer
Thanks for clarification!

Speaking of wider tires; will I be able to switch tires on Quick 4 to smaller, like 28 or even smaller, if I decide to take a long ride on pavement?
It's easier to go smaller on a bike than larger, due primarily to frame/fork clearances. It may look a little odd, comfort level is decrease with the width of the tire, and I don't know how narrow you can go on your stock rims, but it can be done.
Old 08-04-12, 12:21 PM
Bunnicula

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by treadtread
The Sirrus base has 32 tires, and even with the stock tires I can hit 20 miles per hour easily (with potential for more, I can't sustain higher speeds yet).
Yes, 32c tires are not a problem on pavement as long as you have the right tire. 20mph and faster is sustainable. I've done 40 mile rides on my hybrid, and been almost as comfortable and just a few mph slower than on my road bike.

I honestly like the Sirrus a lot. It's very road oriented, and would be a fine choice, but I think that the Quick line absorbs road vibration better. The carbon forks DO help. Plus, you think the bike looks hot (as do I), and loving how your bike looks increases your desire and pride in riding it.

If you can find a Quick 3, a 2012 or even 2011 discounted model at a really good price, I think that would be your best choice of these lines.The Quick 3 has Continental tires, which are better for riding on pavement than the Kenda tires on the Quick 4. As I said, I've done 40 mile rides on mine very comfortably. The 3 is so versatile - it handles light dirt and gravel paths, like MUPs, just fine. It's nimble, energetic, and fairly fast.

You could also just get the Quick 4, and swap out the tires to something better for pavement, like the Continentals. But in the end, get the bike that you enjoy riding the most. I would NOT buy from a shop that didn't let me ride the bike, and not just around the parking lot. Most shops allow you to ride on neighborhood roads or paths, and will suggest where to ride to try the bike out.
Old 08-04-12, 08:04 PM
Bumer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by treadtread
That's not bad. I assume that is no pavement?

It's easier to go smaller on a bike than larger, due primarily to frame/fork clearances. It may look a little odd, comfort level is decrease with the width of the tire, and I don't know how narrow you can go on your stock rims, but it can be done.
Got it. I did hear that too that the smaller the tire, the less comfortable it is. It does, however, offers less rolling resistance. That's where decisions have to be made.

Originally Posted by Bunnicula
Yes, 32c tires are not a problem on pavement as long as you have the right tire. 20mph and faster is sustainable. I've done 40 mile rides on my hybrid, and been almost as comfortable and just a few mph slower than on my road bike.

I honestly like the Sirrus a lot. It's very road oriented, and would be a fine choice, but I think that the Quick line absorbs road vibration better. The carbon forks DO help. Plus, you think the bike looks hot (as do I), and loving how your bike looks increases your desire and pride in riding it.

If you can find a Quick 3, a 2012 or even 2011 discounted model at a really good price, I think that would be your best choice of these lines.The Quick 3 has Continental tires, which are better for riding on pavement than the Kenda tires on the Quick 4. As I said, I've done 40 mile rides on mine very comfortably. The 3 is so versatile - it handles light dirt and gravel paths, like MUPs, just fine. It's nimble, energetic, and fairly fast.

You could also just get the Quick 4, and swap out the tires to something better for pavement, like the Continentals. But in the end, get the bike that you enjoy riding the most. I would NOT buy from a shop that didn't let me ride the bike, and not just around the parking lot. Most shops allow you to ride on neighborhood roads or paths, and will suggest where to ride to try the bike out.
I'll have to check with LBS how much Quick 3 cost, as it could be good choice - with better components, and (I'm guessing) quicker than 4 because of different crank. But I'm afraid that will be way out of my price range.

Another bike I saw today at LBS was Scott Metrix 20 for $720. Very nice bike with decent components - same level as Quick 3. And it rode well on pavement. It does not, however, has carbon fork.

P.S.: I still think Quick 4 is the hottest of them all.
Old 08-06-12, 10:47 AM
Bumer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I went to LBS, they were sold out on Quick 4, so I did not have a chance to ride it yet. Tested Quick 5, but was not impressed. It was not bad, it was just a bike. Will wait until Quick 4 is in stock, so I can ride it.
Old 08-10-12, 05:09 PM
Bumer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any more suggestions, comments?
Old 08-21-12, 07:24 AM
Bumer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone?

I'm still looking at different bikes, and my head is spinning.
Would it make sense to get cyclocross bike instead? It will cost more, but it seems like 2-in-1 bike - road / hybrid.
Old 08-21-12, 07:32 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Get the Scott Metrix. The carbon fork thing is hype. The psi in your tires is more important.

Old 08-21-12, 09:01 AM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebik...legrocomp.html You might like the Jamis Allegro Comp, it has the same 700cX32 tires that I have on my Coda Sport and they handle hard pack dirt and paved rail trails nicely.

Old 08-21-12, 11:25 AM
jbchybridrider 

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 390 Times in 149 Posts
^^ Stand out from the crowd and get that Scott.
Old 08-21-12, 11:28 AM
Bumer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Get the Scott Metrix. The carbon fork thing is hype. The psi in your tires is more important.
I did try Scoot Metrix at LBS, and the ride was great. Did not ride much though.
How that I'm thinking about cross bikes, do you think that upgrading to cross bike sounds like a good idea?

Originally Posted by bjjoondo
https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebik...legrocomp.html You might like the Jamis Allegro Comp, it has the same 700cX32 tires that I have on my Coda Sport and they handle hard pack dirt and paved rail trails nicely.
Unfortunately, Jamis dealer is ~40 or 50 miles away from me. If I could do all tune-ups and adjustments myself, I might have given Jamis a shot.
But I need LBS near me, so when something does not seem to be working perfectly I can stop by and have them look at it (at least for first year when all tune ups are included).
Old 08-21-12, 11:35 AM
Bumer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jbchybridrider
^^ Stand out from the crowd and get that Scott.

Will I stand from the crowd if I get this Cannondale instead?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
c_12_2xr6c_bbq.jpg (53.8 KB, 11 views)
Old 08-21-12, 11:44 AM
Noize4

Bikes: ‘16 Domane 4.6 Disc, ‘17 Bianchi Impulso S-Sport, ‘12 Giant Escape 0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I vote for the drop bar Cyclocross bike! Super versatile and more hand positions.
Good luck!
Old 08-21-12, 01:54 PM
Bumer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I vote for the drop bar Cyclocross bike! Super versatile and more hand positions.
Good luck!
Your vote is counted my friend. Thank you!
Old 08-21-12, 08:02 PM
Leo90604

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3 Di2 | 2012 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was in the market for Giant Escape 0 ($649), Specialized Sirrus Elite ($800) but I read about this post. It made me realize to test Cannondale too since the Quick 4 had a big nod over Specialized Sirrus on his poll. REI had Quick 3 Msrp $940 (REI Price $849) Sale price $699.93. This was the most comfortable ride I had out of 4 bikes I tested (2 giants and 1 spec elite). Only one left within 100 miles too so I took it home tonight.

It is comfortable ride and the components are much better. If you can find a Quick 3 try it out .

Thanks for this post.

Last edited by Leo90604; 08-21-12 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-21-12, 08:57 PM
jbchybridrider 

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 390 Times in 149 Posts
Originally Posted by Bumer
Will I stand from the crowd if I get this Cannondale instead?
Yep that'll work!
Old 08-22-12, 06:29 PM
Bumer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leo90604
I was in the market for Giant Escape 0 ($649), Specialized Sirrus Elite ($800) but I read about this post. It made me realize to test Cannondale too since the Quick 4 had a big nod over Specialized Sirrus on his poll. REI had Quick 3 Msrp $940 (REI Price $849) Sale price $699.93. This was the most comfortable ride I had out of 4 bikes I tested (2 giants and 1 spec elite). Only one left within 100 miles too so I took it home tonight.

It is comfortable ride and the components are much better. If you can find a Quick 3 try it out .

Thanks for this post.
You're welcome! I was just on REI website yesterday, and saw the sale too.
However, while looking at all hybrids I came across Cannondale cross bike and decided to go for it. Otherwise, I would get Quick 3 from REI, because that sale price is sweeeeet!

Congratulations on you bike!!!

Good luck!
Your vote counted and I ordered CAADX 6 today!

Originally Posted by jbchybridrider
Yep that'll work!
Awesome, will see how I stand out from the crowd next week when I get my CAADX 6. Can't wait!
Old 08-22-12, 07:25 PM
Bunnicula

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leo90604

Thanks for this post.
Congrats, Leo! The Quick 3 is a very nice riding bike, comfortable as you said, well-balanced and agile. I'm sure you're going to love riding your new bike. I keep saying, the Quick 3 CAN be found at very reasonable prices, if one searches a bit!

To the OP, that CAADX looks sweet! Cannondale does a nice job with their frames. Hope you enjoy your new ride!
Old 08-23-12, 06:45 AM
Bumer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bunnicula
To the OP, that CAADX looks sweet! Cannondale does a nice job with their frames. Hope you enjoy your new ride!
Thanks! I agree, Cannondale lately seems to be doing great in design department.