Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

2013 Cannondale Quick 4 or BB9

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-13, 12:38 PM
zx6rrninja

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello community,

I am looking for a commuter/recreational/all-around bike in NYC. My budget is around $800. I plan on commuting to work once a week and mainly riding the bike on paved roads, parks, and streets on the weekends. I do not plan on taking the bike on trails or off road. I'm 6'0 and 165lbs.

After much searching and checking out the bikes in person, I have narrowed down my choices to two bikes. The 2013 Cannondale Quick 4 and the Bad Boy 9.

I would very much appreciate your opinions, pro's/con's, etc... to help me decide on a bike.

The obvious differences between the two bikes for me are (Quick 4 vs BB9) - brakes (disk vs pads), fork (carbon vs alum), and stock wheels/tires.

As I do not plan on riding in wet conditions, the brakes seem like a non issue.

The Quick 4 comes with fatter tires and fewer spoke count. Weaker rim due to lower spoke count? The BB9 has a slim tire. How does that fare for street riding? I don't plan on hitting large pot holes, but I will cross some bumps here and there.

The highly debated fork. There seem to be many people debating the following. A carbon fork is better for shock absorption but is weaker. Aluminum forks have worse shock absorption but can take more of a beating. My concern here is that I am not sure on the durability I want/need for NYC street riding.

Lastly, the BB9 has a wider fork which I assume can accommodate many different tire sizes. The Quick 4's fork is narrow, and the stock tire seems like the biggest tire it can handle. Should I consider the fork width for future proofing the bike? Am I over thinking this?

Thank you all in advance, and I apologize for the long post full of what might seem as reiterations of facts

Zx

Last edited by zx6rrninja; 04-06-13 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Adding weight/height as it seems relevant
Old 04-07-13, 11:20 AM
Bunnicula

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really, it's whatever bike you like the best. I would recommend the Cannondale Quick 3, which you can pick up for around the $800 mark, if you shop around. That price seems high for a Quick 4. The 3 has better components than the 4, is lighter and faster.

Carbon forks are very nice to have. Plenty strong enough. As are the spokes on the Quicks.

But get the bike you enjoy riding the most! A hundred dollar difference in price won't mean much a year or two down the road. But if your enjoyment of the bike is blemished by some quality of the bike that bothers you, or you are compromising on, that will become magnified the more you ride. With me it was the speed of the bike. Within several months of getting my first hybrid I was looking for a faster, lighter bike. The Quick 3 solved that.
Old 04-07-13, 12:13 PM
zx6rrninja

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply Bunnicula.

I should clarify that I can get both the Quick4 and BB9 for around $650. The next step up in the Quick line is the Quick SL3 ($850) and the BB5 ($1000)

I welcome any other opinions

Zx
Old 04-08-13, 05:53 PM
Big Lebowski

Bikes: Trek 9th District, CAAD 10, Crux

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think that if you like the look of the Quick, then get it. The seat stays on it and the Synapse are unique. Some like the look, others don't.
Old 04-09-13, 12:54 PM
zx6rrninja

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm really liking the Quick4 because of the carbon fork and overall look. I visited some LBS' and the BB9 is flying off the shelves. No idea if it's because of the plain, stealthy look or if people consider it a great by for NYC. I'm going to test ride both bikes this weekend and hopefully that will help me make a decision. Please feel free to chime in gents Zx
Old 04-09-13, 11:31 PM
TheOtherBob

Bikes: 2012 CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, riding in NYC -- a topic near and dear to my heart.

Brakes: You'll use them. Believe me, you'll use them -- I don't worry so much about being rear-ended by a taxi as I do rear-ending taxis. They stop suddenly, and for no good reason. That being said, you don't need disk brakes to stop -- you can stop fine with the pads.

Forks: Carbon is just as tough as aluminum, and will soak up some of those bumps that would otherwise go into your hands. The people telling you that carbon is weaker may...not know what they're talking about. All else being equal, carbon is probably a better choice -- just a more expensive one. It's light, it absorbs vibrations, and it's strong. (They build mountain bikes out of the stuff, you know.) When it breaks, it breaks rather than bending, sure -- but if your aluminum fork is bent, it goes on the same trash pile.

Tires: Thin makes you a little quicker, so I always go as thin as I can get. That being said, thicker will help soak up some bumps here and there. But, again, that's a comfort issue -- lots of people ride skinny road tires all over the city, and they aren't breaking their bikes.

And, yeah, you're over thinking this.

By the way (and I know this is the hybrid forum), if you're only ever going to ride on roads, have you considered a road bike?
Old 04-11-13, 07:46 PM
zx6rrninja

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the input Bob. I have not considered a road bike yet. Speaking of which, can anyone please enlighten me on the purpose of the Quick and Bad boy line of bikes? What type of riding are they meant for? Zx