Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Foam for packing DSLR

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Foam for packing DSLR

Old 11-17-20, 06:51 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
The camera is a Pentax K5. Fairly durable piece thus far. I have been carrying it around in a trunk bag on the rear rack with nothing more than a folded up wash rag underneath it for some shock protection. Since a tent and sleeping gear will be on the rack, I have put a rear rack on the front of my bike (yes, looks like it was made for that position) and have the trunk bag on that instead, however the trunk bag is carrying food stuffs, tools and some other necessities.
What I have devised is using a cheapo atb handlebar bag from years ago that my wife's aunt gave me when she gave up riding. It hangs from the front rack much like a pannier and is secured to the rack stays. I have some white closed cell foam used by Wahoo in the packaging of their fitness bike. It is shaping up quite nicely and I do believe it will work out OK. For the record I also have a Pentax MX from 1978 that has traveled all over the world in a shoulder pack or in a tank bag of a motorcycle. The frame counter stopped working 4 years ago, but the rest of it keeps on trucking. The body is well dented, been dropped from waist height several times, flew off the top of a car once, and generally not well cared for. Still takes really clear images, but the composer has a lot to be desired anymore.lol
Old 11-17-20, 07:11 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 785 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
The camera is a Pentax K5. Fairly durable piece thus far. I have been carrying it around in a trunk bag on the rear rack with nothing more than a folded up wash rag underneath it for some shock protection. Since a tent and sleeping gear will be on the rack, I have put a rear rack on the front of my bike (yes, looks like it was made for that position) and have the trunk bag on that instead, however the trunk bag is carrying food stuffs, tools and some other necessities.
What I have devised is using a cheapo atb handlebar bag from years ago that my wife's aunt gave me when she gave up riding. It hangs from the front rack much like a pannier and is secured to the rack stays. I have some white closed cell foam used by Wahoo in the packaging of their fitness bike. It is shaping up quite nicely and I do believe it will work out OK. For the record I also have a Pentax MX from 1978 that has traveled all over the world in a shoulder pack or in a tank bag of a motorcycle. The frame counter stopped working 4 years ago, but the rest of it keeps on trucking. The body is well dented, been dropped from waist height several times, flew off the top of a car once, and generally not well cared for. Still takes really clear images, but the composer has a lot to be desired anymore.lol
I almost went Pentax way back when, simply because the MX (I think) a mechanical body, was so small and compact, like their good lenses. Problem was that there were so few pentax top lenses around used---so going nikon was the most practical bang for buck and ability to find top used nikkor lenses.
Old 11-17-20, 07:17 PM
djb

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Maybe I should bring this on a bike trip?

I have not used this lens for several years, now thinking I need to make sure it still works. But won't fit in my handlebar bag.
youre just waiting for someone to comment on your big lens arent ya? My guess is a 5 or 600 f8?
I once borrowed a 500 f4.5 for a motorsport event, lugged it around with a 300 f4 , (didnt shoot sports enough to make money to have a 300 2.8, but at that time, had a 1.5 factor nikon, so the 300 and 500 made for good 450 and 750mm options. Plus my 80-200 was really a 160-300 2.8 so had a pretty good range. Worked well but sheeeet I was tired after lugging all this stuff around for hours and hours, and walking and walking and walking. Sport photographers are tough characters. Was a cool experience though the times I got to do motorsport, plus I always followed it, so was very cool being inside the action, pits, team garages etc.
Anyway, I was just small potatoes anyway all in all over the years.
Old 11-17-20, 10:08 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
youre just waiting for someone to comment on your big lens arent ya? My guess is a 5 or 600 f8?
I once borrowed a 500 f4.5 for a motorsport event, lugged it around with a 300 f4 , (didnt shoot sports enough to make money to have a 300 2.8, but at that time, had a 1.5 factor nikon, so the 300 and 500 made for good 450 and 750mm options. Plus my 80-200 was really a 160-300 2.8 so had a pretty good range. Worked well but sheeeet I was tired after lugging all this stuff around for hours and hours, and walking and walking and walking. Sport photographers are tough characters. Was a cool experience though the times I got to do motorsport, plus I always followed it, so was very cool being inside the action, pits, team garages etc.
Anyway, I was just small potatoes anyway all in all over the years.
Yup.

Pentax used to use the name Takumar for their lenses in the M42 days. But the 500mm f4.5 was often called a Tankumar, which is what I have on the tripod. Plus, I have a Vivitar 2X focusing extender between the lens and camera body. Images at f4.5 are pretty soft, but at f8 and smaller aperture are pretty sharp. Not autofocus, but the camera will beep when in focus. Bought it used years ago on Ebay but rarely have used it. Mostly bought it for curiosity, it needed some work. That is a very heavy lens and if you have it sitting down and pick it up by the focusing ring, there are some tiny screws that hold the ring tight and it loosens up if you lift it with the focus ring, which I think is why there were so few bidders on it so I got a good price. You can't hand hold it, must use the tripod. Weighs a ton. When I saw that lens in the Ebay listing with what looked like rifle sights on it for aiming, I knew I needed another toy.

I was the newspaper photographer in my high school for two years. Buying Tri-X film in 50 foot rolls, and rolling my film cartridges myself, that and all the dark room time, that burned me out on photography back then. But about 15 years after that I slowly started getting back into it again. Which I am sure you figured out since so many of my posts have photos.

The camera body in the photo on the Tankumar is a Pentax K-30. Several years old now, but has everything I could want. 16 megapixel is plenty for me. Can use it with modern zoom lenses or with vintage M42. Have three K-30s, so I do not have to change lenses very often, the K-30s were all Ebay finds too.
Old 11-18-20, 05:09 AM
TiHabanero

Finished the camera bag project last night. Cut the repurposed foam to shape and securely hold the camera in the bag. When the weather moves out of the 20's and into the 40's I will give it a whirl on the bike. The best part of this whole project was repurposing the bag and shipping materials into something useful instead of them going into a landfill.
Old 11-18-20, 06:38 AM
djb

TiHab, I'm sure your setup will work well enough. Past that, use common sense with riding in terms of not whamming over rough stuff full bore.

Tourist, it looks heavy, I have no recollection of how heavy the Sigma I borrowed was, it worked well with a quick release monopod and in a pinch I did use it handheld a few times, but was on the limit.
And yes, I did the 50ft roll thing for a number of years, but when my batch of reloadable cannisters started to get iffy, I didnt want to take the chances of ruining an exposed roll. re darkrooms, I worked doing darkroom work and as a printer, so spent half my life in a darkroom. Don't really miss it, slightly, but not really. Havent had my hands wet from developer or whatever for ....who knows, might be 15 years almost now. Times flies when you don't smell like fixer.....
Old 11-18-20, 07:47 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
I carried my old Praktica FX2 through my years in high school to take candid photos for the school yearbook. Since I didn't have to put the camera up to my face my 'victims' didn't know they were 'had' until the 'THWOK' of the mirror flipping up and the cloth shutter flying... (the top cover opened to a small view screen, viewed by looking down at the top of the camera.), In school, I used either the Praktica's original 50mm f2.8 lens, or I'd 'borrow' one of my dad's screw mount (Pentax) lenses (usually the Vivitar 85-205 zoom) or occasionally the 500mm fixed...

I later carried it on the rear Pletscher rack of my old Fuji S-10S on several TOSRVs 1977-80, just in its original case inside of a plastic bag, and then wrapped in my spare sweats. Then 1981 I opted for a 110-format pocket camera for that year's TOSRV (terrible, grainy photos)...

After years of abuse, the shutter started getting a bit lazy, so sometime around 1990 I gave it to one of my co-workers who collected old cameras
Old 11-19-20, 02:13 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 514 Posts
I know it is not a DSLR but I carry my Sony a6100 in either a trunk bag or an Acorn handlebar bar.
Old 11-19-20, 04:27 PM
TiHabanero

Testride today. Works as planned, but need to use velcro fastener to secure more tightly to the rack stays. Loaded bike with 20 pounds rear and 10 pounds plus camera front and forgot how weight on the front of the bike affects steering. Once adapted to it and moving 5 pounds to the rear panniers all was OK, with the exception of the 30mph gusts of wind! Makes for a wild ride when that happens! The camera is in the bag on the side of front rack. Looks like a mini pannier, no?
Old 11-19-20, 06:13 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 228 Posts
Testride today. .....The camera is in the bag on the side of front rack. Looks like a mini pannier, no?

i dunno......this is a dslr with a mechanical mirror..........i'd think attached to the side of the front wheel there, it'd be directly subjected to a heckuvalotta road shock. don't think the mirror will be long for the world. carried in a handlebar bag would dampen a good bit of the vibration and shock.

https://tse4-mm.cn.bing.net/th/id/OI...pr=1.5&pid=1.7

bestest option, if you can find one on ebay, would be the old kirtland bag with the steel rod mounting bracket.

https://www.khurramhashmi.org/khurram...ges/bt-118.jpg

Last edited by saddlesores; 11-19-20 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-19-20, 06:17 PM
djb

Originally Posted by saddlesores
i dunno......this is a dslr with a mechanical mirror..........i'd think attached to the side of the front wheel there, it'd be directly subjected to a heckuvalotta road shock. don't think the mirror will be long for the world. carried in a handlebar bag would dampen a good bit of the vibration and shock.

https://tse4-mm.cn.bing.net/th/id/OI...pr=1.5&pid=1.7

bestest option, if you can find one of ebay, would be the old kirtland bag with the steel rod mounting bracket.

yesireebob. You pays you money you takes your chances.
and I have one of those bags in the garage, but have misplaced part of the mounting bracket, its gotta be around somewhere, but can't bring myself to throw the bag out as the part will turn up one day, then I can give it to someone to actually use.
Old 11-19-20, 06:21 PM
saddlesores

Originally Posted by djb
yesireebob. You pays you money you takes your chances.
and I have one of those bags in the garage, but have misplaced part of the mounting bracket, its gotta be around somewhere, but can't bring myself to throw the bag out as the part will turn up one day, then I can give it to someone to actually use.

your twin brother had one of those! donated to goodwill cause he lost the bracket.
i picked it up for a dollar.

made a new bracket with a piece of steel rod from the home depot.
Old 11-19-20, 06:25 PM
TiHabanero

I have an Eclipse front bag that uses the same type of mount the Kirkland uses, however I want the larger capacity of the rear trunk bag in lew of the smaller handlebar bag, hence the idea of mounting the camera in a handlebar bag on the side of the front rack. The old school MX I had was so darn tough I figure this K5 is in the same league, albeit, the electronics are far more sophisticated.
Old 11-19-20, 06:32 PM
saddlesores

I have an Eclipse front bag that uses the same type of mount the Kirkland uses, however I want the larger capacity of the rear trunk bag in lew of the smaller handlebar bag, hence the idea of mounting the camera in a handlebar bag on the side of the front rack. The old school MX I had was so darn tough I figure this K5 is in the same league, albeit, the electronics are far more sophisticated.
it's not the electronics. the newfangled digital bits are generally bulletproof.

it's the oldfangled glass-'n-steel mirror on a physical pivot behind the lens that's the weak spot.

https://www.better-digital-photo-tip...pha-mirror.jpg
Old 11-19-20, 08:00 PM
djb

your twin brother had one of those! donated to goodwill cause he lost the bracket.
i picked it up for a dollar.

made a new bracket with a piece of steel rod from the home depot.
seems to me the part I cant fine is a part with a turny tighteny wheely thing that clamps the bracket in place, listen its been so long since ive used it the memories are vague....
but honestly, I figure it may turn up one day and one of my kids could use it if they ever feel like touring. Mind you I just bought a used Ortlieb hbag, so hey...we'll see...
Old 11-19-20, 08:02 PM
djb

I can't really say not really seeing your setup close up, but just be sure to think about transfer points for shocks and whatnot, and cushion things well with material that will absorb and rebound back in place really well.
Let us know how it holds up over time.
Old 11-19-20, 08:28 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I was thinking about the balance between a camera case that is safe and one that is convenient. If it takes a lot to deploy one would probably be inclined to take fewer pictures. In that case (pun intended) I could see a handlebar bag being set up as a padded camera bag with some egg crate foam thick enough to cradle the camera. You lose the carrying capacity of the bag for other things but have a convenient location for deploy. . . . . . . . .
I also believe that fast and easy access to my camera is important. My wife and I carry our cameras in padded cases in our waterproof Ortlieb bar bags.

I made these open top, modular, padded cases to use in our bar bags. They can be sized to fit different camera and lens combinations. We both use Sony series 6000 cameras, but it will also work for DSLRs.

There are also times when I want to get my camera out fast or while riding without stopping. We don't use lens caps so the camera can be removed from the bar bag, turned on as it is taken from the padded case, and to the eye in a couple of seconds.

I saw this picture coming as I rode behind my wife. It would have been hard to get if we stopped and tried to set it up. I took out my camera, and was almost ready as we closed in on the older woman. I shot it while riding behind my wife, and came close to getting the picture I was looking for. We were riding from the airport into Copenhagen, DK on our start of a 2-month tour.

Last edited by Doug64; 11-19-20 at 08:46 PM.
Likes For Doug64:
Old 11-19-20, 09:53 PM
djb

Re easy and fast access in a handlebar bag. I've found that if you add up all the photo taking time in a day, especially on a long trip and especially on a long and hard day, it really helps to just stop bike, stay on bike, and quickly take a shot.
it often makes the difference of taking a photo or not, so like Doug, I've always had my cameras within reach in just seconds.
Sure, sometimes it's good to get off bike for better angles and whatnot, but it's great to make quick shots and be back riding in a minute.
Old 11-19-20, 10:32 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Re easy and fast access in a handlebar bag. I've found that if you add up all the photo taking time in a day, especially on a long trip and especially on a long and hard day, it really helps to just stop bike, stay on bike, and quickly take a shot.

it often makes the difference of taking a photo or not, so like Doug, I've always had my cameras within reach in just seconds.
Sure, sometimes it's good to get off bike for better angles and whatnot, but it's great to make quick shots and be back riding in a minute.
Getting pictures on a tour does take a lot of time. I did a rough estimate of the time used to take pictures on a 3- month European tour. I used the following parameters to figure out the time used: pictures taken = 5,700, time per picture = average of 1 minute, time in hours = 87.5 hours. My wife took close to the same number of pictures, and we did not always stop for the same shots. She had a lot more "old churches" and "flower" pictures than I did; and I had a lot more "people" pictures than her. A lot of the photos were also taken when we were wondering around on foot. Getting pictures takes a lot of time, but that is one of the main reasons we tour.

Photography has always been a major component of most of our activities. It also helps that we are both enthusiastic about it.

Last edited by Doug64; 11-20-20 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-20-20, 06:04 AM
TiHabanero

Quick access to the camera is not important to me as I am more of a landscaper than people or event shooter. Have seriously considered buying larger rear panniers and using the Eclipse bar bag for the camera and some snacks, but I am seriously frugal and like the challenge of using what I already have on hand.

Doug64, looks like you sewed fabric around foam sheets to make the carry case. Looks well made and a perfect fit. The camera is snug as a bug in a rug.
Old 11-20-20, 07:27 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

bestest option, if you can find one on ebay, would be the old kirtland bag with the steel rod mounting bracket.

I have an old Aveneer (spell?) bag that used a steel frame like that. The frame did not fit on threadless stem, so I bent my own and used that for several years. But it had a weight limit before things start to bend. It would hold a DSLR, but not much else in the bag.

My complaint about that bag was that it was not easy to remove quickly to take in a restaurant or grocery store with my valuables, I wanted a quick release bracket. Now use one with a quick release bracket. I think the new bag has enough flex in the mounting system that there is as much vibration reduction in the new one as in the old one.

My new bag however had a very flexible box shape to it and it badly sagged. I reinforced that with two pieces of aluminum, 1/8 X 1 1/2 inch aluminum bar stock. Tried 1/8 X 3/4, but that bent too easily, the 1.5 inch width works very well. The aluminum support is easy to see in the photo.

I stretched a bit of old inner tube rubber over the ends of teh aluminum on the bottom so that the fabric of the bag does not chaff and wear a hole in the bag.
Old 11-20-20, 09:57 AM
Happy Feet

Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
Doug, I like that bag insert, just the sort of thing I was thinking.

---------------------------------

I'm a big believer in taking a lot of pictures. Have toyed with the idea of starting a blog/website just to talk about that concept in various activities and even own the domain adventurephotography.ca (currently dormant).

It's especially important if we use our pics for storytelling. To me it's a matter of numbers. If we assume 1 out of 10 being a decent pic, the stats are one or two good shots if we take a few or 10 or 20 if we take a lot. The more convenient the camera, the more likely we'll take pics.

I also agree on the time thing and it's one reason I choose to tour solo ( Doug's lucky to have a wife that shares his passion ). One time we did a driving trip as a family and they got annoyed with all the times I stopped to take pics (around every corner) so I decided to return solo and repeat parts of it just so I could take my time. Bike tours for me are covering an imagined route and documenting it with pictures.

I did a 2 week SUP trip in the Rockies this year with my wife and her friend, joking that I was their photographer. In all I think we paddleboarded 11 Mountain Lakes. The friend kept saying "I just need one picture, that's all". She is going to pleasantly surprised when she gets the coffee table book of her travels for Christmas

Last edited by Happy Feet; 11-20-20 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-20-20, 12:23 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 724 Posts
Originally Posted by cinva
I travel with a DSLR - Fuji XT-20 - as well. I use a hybrid system that is modular and allows me to create whatever shape I need for whatever gear/bag combo I'm using. Most of the time, I carry the camera in a handlebar bag, but this could work for most bags. This is very similar to the Ortlieb bag mentioned above.

I got mine on Amazon. Search for camera bag inserts or for a very specific one: Selens High-Capacity Shockproof DSLR Camera Padded Bag Case. I've traveled on and off the bike with this setup without any issues.
I carry an XPro-1. I have an insert for my handlebar bag from Ortleib, but don't use it. I simply place the camera in the bag with everything else. I do have a neoprene cover for the camera that I use when think about it, but often simply place the camera on top of the neoprene cover. I have used the camera on tour with no issues. I carry it in a tank bag on the motorcycle as well.

I travel for work, and this has been with my on planes, and in less than ideal conditions. It has taken a lot, as have all my cameras. I don't neglect them, but I use them. They are more robust than most people think.
Old 11-20-20, 01:37 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I'm a big believer in taking a lot of pictures. Have toyed with the idea of starting a blog/website just to talk about that concept in various activities and even own the domain adventurephotography.ca (currently dormant).

It's especially important if we use our pics for storytelling. To me it's a matter of numbers. If we assume 1 out of 10 being a decent pic, the stats are one or two good shots if we take a few or 10 or 20 if we take a lot. The more convenient the camera, the more likely we'll take pics.
Yeah, I take a lot of photos too. No interest in a blog, but I often send some photos to friends and family after a trip with maybe a page of text about the trip. My Iceland trip, almost a thousand photos over a month long trip. My South Florida trip, about 700 over two weeks. Canadian Maritimes, about 700 over five weeks. Plus, several hundred on each kayak and canoe and backpacking trips.

After I did GAP and C&O, when I got home I was thinking that I took so few photos along the trail, until the realization that I have very few photos on the rainy days. Did not want my camera to get wet. So, my next trip I had a new waterproof point and shoot camera. And that was one of the best purchases I have ever made when it comes to photography, that camera goes on all bike trips, canoe trips, kayak trips, backpacking trips, etc. If I am sleeping in a tent and spending most days outside, that camera makes the most sense. It easily fits in a side pocket in my handlebar bag where it is close to hand.

Electrons are cheap, I take a lot of photos. When I was a high school newspaper photographer, I usually assumed about 1 out of a roll of 36 would actually be in an issue of the paper, same with baseball games. Basketball and hockey, maybe 2 photos out of a roll would be published, I needed a flash for the indoor sports so could not take photos while the flash was charging. So, early in my photo taking I never had a reason to be frugal with the shutter button.
Old 11-21-20, 06:31 AM
TiHabanero

Tourist in MSN, I was a school photographer as well and we had to buy our own film and develop it on our own as well. My partner, who shot events with me, knew the photography prof at a local college and we were able to process and print using their equipment and supplies. Frugality was the word of the day, every day we shot and were in the lab. I think that has carried with me into the digital world as I still think that way. Did your school pay for supplies?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.