Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

I used to be a good bike mechanic ...

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-20, 12:23 PM
Oakman

Bikes: Road, hybrid, and SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 37 Posts

Until I stripped a cable bolt on an Ultegra derailleur. At least it was the front.

I am embarrassed. For more than 50 years I've worked on bicycles and other forms of transport, and even screwed a couple things up, but never stripped a screw on a bike. Steel, aluminum, carbon, you name it, I could torque it. Hell, I even had a plastic Simplex derailleur for many years.

So I'm looking for an excuse. Do old people (67) lose their touch? Must I now use a torque wrench on every single screw? Or should I find a LBS to change my shift cables from now on?
Likes For Oakman:
Old 11-22-20, 12:35 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Don’t beat yourself up over it. I do that all the time and there’s like twenty one years between us.
Likes For Rage:
Old 11-22-20, 12:36 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,412 Times in 2,750 Posts
I've recently seen some Shimano Allen head bolts that aren't a good fit for the wrench. That's not to say we don't lose all sorts of functionality as we age.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 11-22-20, 12:38 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
I'm just a little older, and when something like that happens, it's because things just aren't made as well as they used to be. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! (and it might even be true!)
Likes For freeranger:
Old 11-22-20, 12:39 PM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro, Klein Attitude, Azuki SS, Merckx AXM, Klein Quantum Race, Klein Quantum

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 87 Posts
Speaking for 55 year old mechanics...I think you just start to let your mind wander too much as you age....if I’m thinking about something stressful while wrenching I tend to over-tighten! Maybe we need to re-read that “Zen of bicycle maintenance” book? More importantly, how did you fix it? Longer bolt and add a nut, or re-tap with a thicker bolt?
Likes For Sonofamechanic:
Old 11-22-20, 01:45 PM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 109 Posts
We all have our moments.

At least you weren't performing brain surgery, eh?
Likes For John Valuk:
Old 11-22-20, 01:51 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
thinks happen, but IMHO parts are more sensitive to torque.....I have started using a torque wrench even tho I am still a steel frame and aluminum cockpit kinda guy. what I have notices id some things I torque MORE than is used to to get to standard and other less...

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 11-22-20, 02:21 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 6,478 Times in 3,205 Posts
Match the tool's lever to the job, and you don't have to worry about it. For cable anchors, I use a socket driver so only my wrist is applying the torque.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 11-22-20, 03:01 PM
daniell

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
I am 74 and I still work on my bikes. At my age, I don't need to worry that the repairs wont last long.
Likes For daniell:
Old 11-22-20, 03:03 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
FWIW, at 69 I was proud of never stripping a good thread. I didn't yet, but the other day broke an 1/8" tap on 3/16" steel stock. Had to tap 2 holes, the first one went OK, the second - aaargh!
Later, I tried to calm myself by thinking this was a 2nd tap (the only one I had), should have started with the 1st...
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 11-23-20, 06:25 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
How old is the bike?

Maybe the part was just ready to fail.
Old 11-23-20, 07:15 AM
Oakman

Bikes: Road, hybrid, and SS

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
How old is the bike?

Maybe the part was just ready to fail.
Can't really blame it on that since my current rides are 28 and 42 years old with mostly original parts. I stripped a derailleur that is only two years old. I like the excuse of "not like they used to be".

There MIGHT be enough of the steel insert left to rethread it.
Old 11-23-20, 10:06 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
I'm about your age and I feel that I make fewer mistakes than in my younger days, primarily because I now know (if I remember) what not to do. I've always, with a bit of effort, been able to recover nicely from my errors as I expect you will as well.

You could fix your current problem by just tying the cable into the hole while tensioning it sufficiently. I found this particular "fix" on a donor bike I was rehabbing at my local coop. The hole was not stripped so I'm guessing that the previous owner lost the anchor bolt and plate - how in the heck does that happen?
Old 11-23-20, 10:48 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Oakman
Until I stripped a cable bolt on an Ultegra derailleur. At least it was the front.

I am embarrassed. For more than 50 years I've worked on bicycles and other forms of transport, and even screwed a couple things up, but never stripped a screw on a bike. Steel, aluminum, carbon, you name it, I could torque it. Hell, I even had a plastic Simplex derailleur for many years.

So I'm looking for an excuse. Do old people (67) lose their touch? Must I now use a torque wrench on every single screw? Or should I find a LBS to change my shift cables from now on?
I am 82 and grew up on a farm working on machinery at an early age. My life's work was working on electro mechanical office machines with adjustment down to 5 ten thousands of an inch. When friends and family have mechanical problems they still come to me. BTW I use a torque wrench where needed.
Old 11-23-20, 11:08 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
50 years before your first stripped bolt.... I think you are doing just fine.
Old 11-23-20, 02:45 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
Your hands are not a torque wrench, it is always good practice to use one. There are sometimes to use your hands and guess but these days it is just better to torque it properly. A good torque wrench is quite a pleasure to use and if you are a mechanic playing with and buying more tools is always a good choice.

Don't be embarrassed though it happens my guess is at least every mechanic makes a mistake at least once. When we let our minds do the torquing instead of the proper tool we can easily make mistakes.
Old 11-23-20, 03:34 PM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
I never had a torque wrench all my life and when I finally got one and played with it, I don't have much faith in it. Talking about the click kind with about a foot long handle, for low torque range. I was told, besides it being oiled, it needs some training use after it wasn't used for longer time (or when new like in this case).

Perhaps one can rely on those 'T' handle wrenches that fit into your palm and that handle only low torques, I think in preset ranges? One more likely strips screws on those bike parts that are the low torque ones anyway.
Anyway, if I work on my bike, I tend to tighten less than it should be and monitor it for a few rides and check on it after some time and tighten more if needed. But if you work on other people bikes, you want to make sure it will be tight because they may not watch for bolts coming lose and come back to you, also it might not reflect good on you.

When it comes to age, I think it is not the age, but more likely being too sure of oneself. That, coupled with more sensitive materials, or questionable metal of Chinese provenience, can lead to a problem. Happened to me several time in life that a seasoned pro couldn't watch me being careful anymore and took the tools in his hands and caused disaster.
Old 11-23-20, 04:38 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I'm 65 and my biggest issue when wrenching is being able to see the small parts. They keep getting fuzzier. Today OTOH I decided to replace the faucets on my bathroom sink, it all screws together easily right? Yea, right. Every step of the way there was a problem to deal with, most caused by my inability to bend my old body into the tiny space under the sink.
Old 11-23-20, 05:07 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
I'm 65 and my biggest issue when wrenching is being able to see the small parts. They keep getting fuzzier. Today OTOH I decided to replace the faucets on my bathroom sink, it all screws together easily right? Yea, right. Every step of the way there was a problem to deal with, most caused by my inability to bend my old body into the tiny space under the sink.
Plumbing repairs almost always pose unexpected problems in my experience.
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 11-23-20, 05:08 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
They ain't making parts like they used to.

I have no idea if that's true, but it's my story and I'm sticking with it.
Old 11-23-20, 05:13 PM
EddyR

Bikes: 1992, Cannondale R900. 1991 Paramount pdg

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 66 Posts
Oakman. I think you are just looking for something to talk about. I am 80 and do not feel like you seem to.
After all these years you have not stripped or broken any part you have been living under a halo.
OK enough picking on you. I have broken hundreds of parts in cars ,cameras watches and bikes. I owned a camera and watch repair business for many years and did replaces a lot of parts that I wrenched to hard .
Flipped 700+ bikes and I did strip a few parts. I learned to fix almost anything broken on a bike.
EddyR
Likes For EddyR:
Old 11-23-20, 06:20 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
plumbers yoga just plan hurts after a certain age

Old 11-23-20, 06:29 PM
CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
With all due respect to those manufacturers involved, I have found over the past several decades a trend that Chinese-made items are likely to have inaccurately drilled and poorly threaded holes, and nuts and bolts of soft materials, also inaccurately made and threaded. That combination of fastenings often results in poor fit, stripped bolt heads, or stripped threads. It is what it is. We make our choices, pay our money, and live with what we get.
1988 Pinarello Montello, 1990 Masi Nuova Strada Super Record,
1995 Bianchi Campione d'Italia, 1995 DeBernardi Thron

Last edited by CroMo Mike; 11-23-20 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-23-20, 06:59 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I haven't stripped a screw in the last 10 days.

I also have broken $600K lab equipment.

Keep it in perspective.
Old 11-24-20, 01:12 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I have wondered since I used to work on airplanes why working on bikes is more difficult. It's because even the good bike stuff has horribly cheap fasteners.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.