Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Drill a Steel frame for Bottle cage mounts?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-16, 10:31 AM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi all, Can I drill holes in a 35-40 year old steel frame that doesn't have any bottle mounts, or should I just use some kind of clamp-on mount?
Old 07-13-16, 10:45 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by 12strings
Hi all, Can I drill holes in a 35-40 year old steel frame that doesn't have any bottle mounts, or should I just use some kind of clamp-on mount?
What kind of 35-40 year old steel frame?
Old 07-13-16, 10:54 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Bottle mounts are not just holes in the frame; they're threaded fittings. What you're thinking of doing won't work.
Old 07-13-16, 10:56 AM
kevindsingleton 
Don't make me sing!

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 1986 Centurion Elite RS, Diamondback hardtail MTB, '70s Fuji Special Road Racer, 2012 Raleigh Revenio 2.0, 1992 Trek 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some steel frames are made with butted tubing, which means the tubing is thicker, in some places, than others. The typical locations for bottle cages are usually where the tubing is very thin, so it won't hold threads very well. Drilling will also reduce the overall strength of the tube, and introduce a location for corrosion to set in. Not much good comes from drilling bicycle frames.

Clamp on might be a better choice, especially if the frame has any value.

Last edited by kevindsingleton; 07-13-16 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 07-13-16, 10:57 AM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
You wouldn't want to simply drill holes and tap/screw into them, but you could drill holes and install rivnuts to receive screws. Whether you should depends, in part, on what kind of bike we're talking about.

And of course, classic clamp-on bottle cages look right at home on older bikes.
Old 07-13-16, 10:59 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
You could drill the frame and insert RivNuts (threaded Pop Rivets, essentially), but I wouldn't do it myself, there are a lot of different non-invasive ways to mount cages:
https://recklesscognition.wordpress....ws-and-bosses/
Adding Water Bottle Cages to Bicycles without Braze
Old 07-13-16, 11:09 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyDog75
You wouldn't want to simply drill holes and tap/screw into them, but you could drill holes and install rivnuts to receive screws. Whether you should depends, in part, on what kind of bike we're talking about.

And of course, classic clamp-on bottle cages look right at home on older bikes.
Rivnuts require that quite a large hole be drilled in the frame. Old steel frames were not designed with rivnuts in mind since steel tubing is much smaller in diameter than aluminum or carbon frames where hey are used these days. If you cannot afford to have e frame builder install threaded water bottle bosses which would be brazed in place to reinforce the area where the hole would be drilled, use a clamp on cage
Old 07-13-16, 11:18 AM
12strings

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks all, just wondering...it's an old Brittany Free Spirit that I brought back to life. Cost me $15. Sounds like a bad idea...
Old 07-13-16, 11:39 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
buy a Two Fish Velcro strap on bottle cage https://www.twofish.biz/pdf/StainlessCages.pdf

Then you can change Bikes Under the Bottle cage.

Cheap frame Thick wall Mild steel tubing ?

I could probably make threaded holes.. A center Punch can deform a dent in the Tube wall,

and in making that dent, when the hole is drilled and threaded, will have more threads in it,

than if you just drilled a clean hole and then threaded It.

Making an alignment Jig using a Piece of angle Iron on a drill press is useful in getting the holes On Center.

Service charge will me More than the $15 you paid for the bike at a Yard sale.

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-13-16 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-13-16, 11:43 AM
2lo8

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cheap low end bikes don't use thin butted tubes. It still might be tricky to get the holes aligned properly.

Some bottle cages have tabs where they mount with screws, most vintage ones or vintage styles ones have it. You can use hose clamps or vintage style bottle cage clamps to attach these cages to a frame. Common in the 60's when braze-ons were not standard.

Last edited by 2lo8; 07-13-16 at 12:45 PM.
Old 07-13-16, 12:42 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26388 Post(s)
Liked 10,365 Times in 7,197 Posts
...probably less trouble would be a Nashbar handlebar cage mount. They work pretty well, and it's where bottles rode for many years back in ancient times.

Old 07-13-16, 12:42 PM
mrchaotica

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On a $15 bike, I'd just strap the cage on with hose clamps and call it a day.
Old 07-13-16, 12:46 PM
kevindsingleton 
Don't make me sing!

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 1986 Centurion Elite RS, Diamondback hardtail MTB, '70s Fuji Special Road Racer, 2012 Raleigh Revenio 2.0, 1992 Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrchaotica
Why does the cost of the bike matter?

If someone gave you a bike, for free, would you glob the cages on with J-B Weld?

Strange.
Old 07-13-16, 12:55 PM
2lo8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exactly what is wrong with hose clamps?
Old 07-13-16, 01:05 PM
12strings

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've been able to make it look and function nicely now...it hangs on my office wall as a vintage decoration/ emergency transportation when I need it...or don't want to drive somewhere close. I don't consider it junk at all, and would put it against a Wal-Mart cruiser any day. It has a nice lugged frame and the paint is not bad either...Mayne I'll get a pic of it on here soon ( can't do that on the phone)

Last edited by 12strings; 07-13-16 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-13-16, 01:10 PM
mrchaotica

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kevindsingleton
Why does the cost of the bike matter?

If someone gave you a bike, for free, would you glob the cages on with J-B Weld?
Why wouldn't the cost matter? If you're riding a cheap bike, it's because you either can't afford or don't feel that it's necessary to have an expensive one. Why, then, would you suddenly change your mind and go for the expensive solution for accessories? If you wanted to spend extra money, it would have been better to get a bike fancy enough to have braze-ons to start off with.

Besides, what a bike is "worth" means fair market value, not what the owner actually spent on it. If somebody gave me a bike worth $15 for free, I'd use hose clamps. If somebody gave me a bike worth $500 for free, I'd use a "proper" vintage cage mount or maybe even have braze-ons added (but realistically speaking, I'd expect a bike worth that much to either have braze-ons already or be a "collector's item" that I should resell instead of ride).

(By the way: it goes without saying that hose clamps on a bike frame should have something tucked under them to protect the paint, such as a bit of disposable latex glove or a piece of old inner tube. Using hose clamps doesn't mean you don't care.)
Old 07-13-16, 01:19 PM
12strings

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here we go... Got some pics, unfortunately no "Before" pics.

I bought it for 15 in unusable condition: rusted stiff chain and derrailers, couldn't pedal, lots of rust on components.

I stripped it down to bare frame, repacked bearings in BB, headseat, and wheels, cleaned everything, removed SOME of the rust, not all.
New items are: Tubes, tires, cables, housing, chain. Everything else stayed. I'm actually surprised the derrailers still worked fine once they were cleaned up. It rides and shifts well now. No collectors item, but fun for me.

I just thought it would be more useful with a bottle cage...and though plastic clamp mounts wouldn't fit the vintage look. But metal ones might.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0607.jpg (101.2 KB, 367 views)
File Type: jpg
IMAG0609.jpg (98.4 KB, 365 views)
Old 07-13-16, 01:25 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Get one that lets you put a can of soft drink on your handlebars
Old 07-13-16, 01:26 PM
mrchaotica

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah, given that this bike is primarily wall art, vintage metal clamps make more sense than hose clamps.
Old 07-13-16, 01:39 PM
2lo8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bottle cage clamps would be period correct. That was the solution they actually used back then.
Old 07-13-16, 01:54 PM
kevindsingleton 
Don't make me sing!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why wouldn't the cost matter? If you're riding a cheap bike, it's because you either can't afford or don't feel that it's necessary to have an expensive one. Why, then, would you suddenly change your mind and go for the expensive solution for accessories? If you wanted to spend extra money, it would have been better to get a bike fancy enough to have braze-ons to start off with.

Besides, what a bike is "worth" means fair market value, not what the owner actually spent on it. If somebody gave me a bike worth $15 for free, I'd use hose clamps. If somebody gave me a bike worth $500 for free, I'd use a "proper" vintage cage mount or maybe even have braze-ons added (but realistically speaking, I'd expect a bike worth that much to either have braze-ons already or be a "collector's item" that I should resell instead of ride).

(By the way: it goes without saying that hose clamps on a bike frame should have something tucked under them to protect the paint, such as a bit of disposable latex glove or a piece of old inner tube. Using hose clamps doesn't mean you don't care.)
Too many contradictions to bother addressing. Party on.
Old 07-13-16, 01:55 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26388 Post(s)
Liked 10,365 Times in 7,197 Posts

If somebody gave me a bike worth $500 for free, I'd use a "proper" vintage cage mount or maybe even have braze-ons added (but realistically speaking, I'd expect a bike worth that much to either have braze-ons already or be a "collector's item" that I should resell instead of ride).
...I have a number of very fine bicycles that have no bottle braze-ons. I ride them all the time. Prior to a certain time, braze-ons on a butted frame were considered (rightly or wrongly) something to avoid in order to not have the extra heating cycle along the thinner, central portion of the tubes. Thus, I am very familiar with the Nashbar clamp I linked, which costs all of six bucks.
Old 07-13-16, 08:50 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by 2lo8
Exactly what is wrong with hose clamps?
Indeed. BITD, exotic, weight-weenie Hi-E bottle cages used a hose clamp to mount the cage:

Old 07-15-16, 08:59 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I'd just throw the bottle in a jersey pocked and forget about it.
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 07-15-16, 10:20 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
I have drilled and tapped an aluminum frame for a bottle mount. The downtube was thick enough to tap. Just an example of owning too many tools. Later, I feared I had potentially weakened the frame, so I posted a query here and was told not to worry. I probably have weakened the frame, but not gonna worry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.