Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Sidewall blowout on GP4000SII

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-24-19, 02:07 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,490 Times in 543 Posts

52 miles into a ride, my front tire blew out while doing about 20 mph on a nice wide shoulder with minimal debris. Not sure how many miles are on these tires but guessing in the 1500 range. Still plenty of life left in them according to the wear indicator holes. It was bad enough that I didn't think I'd make it the 25 miles home if I put in a spare tube so called for a ride.

I don't race or do high speed cornering so it doesn't seem like the side walls should have seen much wear. I was running at 85PSI on the front where I used to run a little under 90 but it sure didn't seem like it was underinflated. I'm 160lbs and these were 700X25 tires.

Is there a way to tell if the sidewall is weakening on a tire or is it just a crap shoot as to if/when they fail?
Old 06-24-19, 02:11 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
Most likely something damaged the sidewall, maybe even on a previous ride. Check your tires often in good light.
Old 06-24-19, 02:38 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
This happened to someone in our club a couple months ago, it was a new 4000sII he'd had on the bike for just 10 days. I wonder if they had a bad batch? IIRC he bought it from one of the UK sellers.
Old 06-24-19, 02:43 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Mis-adjusted brakes? Brake pad rubbing the tire?

There should be telltale marks on the tire.

-Tim-
Old 06-24-19, 02:45 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 88 Posts
I've had a couple of blowouts, and only once did I realize I actually hit something. Sometimes you just don't know that you actually hit something to blow it out. These are some of the most popular tires in the market, so I wouldn't immediately jump to the conclusion that it's a manufacturing problem. More of these tires on road means a higher percentage of problems being reported.
Likes For cthenn:
Old 06-24-19, 02:55 PM
phillman5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I had the same thing happen, same tire, it was in the side wall not much above the rim. Its was not the brake rubbing! However I had hit something months ago that caused a flat, so I figure it just took this long to completely cause a large enough hole in the side wall to blow the inner tube.
Old 06-24-19, 09:56 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4268 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,815 Posts
search bf for numerous threads on GP4000s and sidewall issues. And btw, GP5000s probably have the same.
Old 06-25-19, 06:30 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I had a 4000S II sidewall cut recently. That tire had maybe 200 miles on it. I was able to boot it with a Lara bar wrapper, but had to discard the tire once I got home. Frustrating.
Old 06-25-19, 06:46 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Sadly, the issue is widely known and well documented. Whether it's bad quality control or something else, any time you mount up a GP4000, you never really know what's going to happen. It might last 5,000 miles and never give you an issue, or the sidewall might blow out in two days. It's not a bash against Continental-- they make some of the most popular tires out there-- it just is what it is. So umm, caveat emptor.
Old 06-25-19, 06:55 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
"Never happened to me. Your all liars. Continental makes a fine tire!" (a typical response on these threads).

I have blown out a sidewall on these (after countless flats) and the tire is likely trash now. I was riding on gravel at the time, and assume it was a sharp rock but I never found the object.

I think rather than flat out denying the issue exists, people running GP 4000's should at least be aware that the sidewalls on these tires are not designed for anything more challenging than perfect pavement that's swept regularly (which rules out every single road in CA). Riding these on gravel is flat-out asking for trouble.

But other than that, these are some great tires, worth every penny. Just be aware of their fragility over many common surfaces, and stick to good pavement whenever possible.
Old 06-25-19, 07:38 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,766 Times in 1,725 Posts
LOL, I always so enjoy these threads. I've had one sidewall blowout on a new one of these years ago when they were certainly having an issue with a batch of them. But the reality for me is I run these more than any other tire on my many bikes. I probably easily have over 30,000 miles on them over the years with only the one blow out. Maybe 3 or 4 flats over that time too. I really don't give using these a second thought. Oh and I routinely do descents on them in the 45-55 mph range, no worries.

I even flat spotted the rear on one a couple of years ago when I locked up the back for a second avoiding an idiot camper that did a U-turn in front of me on a country road. Got home 20+ miles after the event to find I had worn clear through to the white casing when I locked up the brake. yet the tire held up just fine, no flat or blowout of any kind.

Obviously it does happen sometimes but it's not something I see any value in worrying about.

Oh and I ride really crappy chipseal roads all the time so it's not like I'm babying them on smooth pavement only. I don't even know what it's like to ride on smooth pavement, LOL!

Of course I've never considered them a gravel tire, they are road racing clinchers. If you ride them in gravel and they fail then that's user error to me, not a problem with the tire.
Old 06-25-19, 03:11 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
"Never happened to me. Your all liars. Continental makes a fine tire!" (a typical response on these threads).

I have blown out a sidewall on these (after countless flats) and the tire is likely trash now. I was riding on gravel at the time, and assume it was a sharp rock but I never found the object.

I think rather than flat out denying the issue exists, people running GP 4000's should at least be aware that the sidewalls on these tires are not designed for anything more challenging than perfect pavement that's swept regularly (which rules out every single road in CA). Riding these on gravel is flat-out asking for trouble.

But other than that, these are some great tires, worth every penny. Just be aware of their fragility over many common surfaces, and stick to good pavement whenever possible.
LOL, epic rant bro. First off, it's "you're" all liars. "You're" welcome.

Also, never said "Continental makes a fine tire" nor did I come in to White Knight for them. Facts are hard, I know, but that's all I was doing. There are a lot of these tires out there, could be a manufacturing problem, or maybe they are more prone to sidewall blowouts. But I don't know, so what I suggested was not to jump to any conclusion, either way.

And FYI, I live in the Bay Area, where our roads are hot garbage. I've used Continental tires almost exclusively for probably 10 years or more, and haven't blown a sidewall on one. Again, not White Knighting, just stating facts, which may or may not bother you.
Old 06-26-19, 03:32 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
s And btw, GP5000s probably have the same.
But with the magical GP5000s you'll get to where you're going before they have a chance to blowout.
Old 06-26-19, 05:51 AM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts

This is the kind of post that makes the internet hot garbage. Statistics are a real thing. If you can’t show a statistically viable sample size, your observations have no credibility. And they are that, observations and opinions. You state them as facts.
Likes For MSchott:
Old 06-26-19, 06:10 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
For those concerned about the sidewalls of GP4000/5000, the GP GT might be an option. I've used the 25s and they seem to ride as well as the 4000s. I may not be as discriminating as some but even I can tell they are nicer than Gatorskins. Relatively inexpensive. https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod109859 The 25s measure 28mm on 23mm (external) wheels.
Old 06-26-19, 06:13 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by MSchott
This is the kind of post that makes the internet hot garbage. Statistics are a real thing. If you can’t show a statistically viable sample size, your observations have no credibility. And they are that, observations and opinions. You state them as facts.
Who said anything about statistics? Did you even read the OP?

Sidewall blows out, I report what happens, and yet I have no credibility. Because what happened to me (and other people in this thread) somehow didn't happen. Just because you say it didn't. Explain to me how that works.

"Hot garbage?" Pot, kettle.
Old 06-26-19, 06:17 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Agreed

Originally Posted by MinnMan
search bf for numerous threads on GP4000s and sidewall issues. And btw, GP5000s probably have the same.
I started this season on the GP 5000s. They ride, handle, and roll as good as anything I've ever ridden, but they're even more delicate than the 4000s. They were not a practical choice for me, so I switched to Michelin Power Endurance. So far, no issues after about 450 miles. Not even a cut in the tread anywhere.

The downside? They're slower and stiffer. Oh, well.
Old 06-26-19, 07:15 AM
MSchott

Sidewall blows out, I report what happens, and yet I have no credibility. Because what happened to me (and other people in this thread) somehow didn't happen. Just because you say it didn't. Explain to me how that works.

No one said blowouts don’t happen. I did not say that. You said: “people running GP 4000's should at least be aware that the sidewalls on these tires are not designed for anything more challenging than perfect pavement that's swept regularly”. That’s just not proven in any way. The reason I mentioned statistics is obvious. If it’s not, anecdotal stories don’t prove anything.
Likes For MSchott:
Old 06-26-19, 07:55 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,766 Times in 1,725 Posts

LOL, I think it's funny how everyone is attacking your first post while ignoring the obvious biased one by DRIsotope that makes it sound like the world is going to end if you use these.
Old 06-26-19, 09:30 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Can we clarify what we're talking about here? Are you guys saying the sidewall suddenly rips open because of the pressure from the tube inside the tire, with no external forces acting on it?

Not saying that's impossible, but it just seems so unlikely. Sure, you could hit a sharp piece of debris on the sidewall and have a sudden explosive decompression, but that's just a flat because you hit something. Would be curious to see photos of the failures because if it's a debris-induced gash, I can't see how one could blame a manufacturing issue for any of this.

If people are so worried about these tires, just switch to Gatorskins. Those things are absurdly tough.
Old 06-26-19, 09:40 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I've had sidewall failure on only one tire in recent memory, an inexpensive Michelin World Tour.

I have had sidewall cuts (from debris or stones) on the following two types of tire: Panaracer Pasela and GP4000S II. Pasela seems particularly vulnerable to side gashes. Otherwise, it's a pretty nice riding tire.

The 4000s are a nice tire, too, but they don't hold up to my type of use, which involves riding in the dark during the winter. Dusk and dark are where the bad things happen because I can't see road debris as well.
Old 06-26-19, 10:29 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
I've never seen a sidewall "blow-out" on any tire I've run in the past 65 years. OTOH I've had many sidewall cuts on various tire brands and models. It only takes one sharp rock or bit of debris on perfect pavement which one hadn't noticed. It's not true that only riding on perfect pavement will prevent flats and sidewall cuts. It is true that the faster the tire, the thinner the sidewall and thus the more likely one is to get a sidewall cut. One can run tires with reinforced sidewalls and be fine with the fact that one is slower on them. Personal preference, just not mine.

I've ridden our tandem with GP4000IIs on miles of really awful gravel, some with potato-sized rocks, no problem but not my route designs either. I also had a huge cut on Michelin Endurance PRO4 tires in the first 100 yards of gravel. Neither proves anything. I'm experienced enough to always carry a light spare tire so it's never a great bother and never went down due to a cut. Hit the brake on the good tire and pretend you're running sew-ups and put the spare on.

If someone wants to claim "sidewall blowout with no previous damage," a photograph of same would be a good idea. Otherwise for sure you're going to have posters calling BS on it.
Old 06-26-19, 11:08 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
LOL, I think it's funny how everyone is attacking your first post while ignoring the obvious biased one by DRIsotope that makes it sound like the world is going to end if you use these.
Every single person I know that runs GP4000s or 4 Seasons has had at least one spontaneous failure. It's not world ending, and it's not even a huge sample size, but let's not pretend it's not a known issue. The sidewalls started peeling on my Gator Hardshells within a month. I used to have to trim the little bits of string off the tire every couple of days. Conti simply does not make a great sidewall. Those Hardshells lasted for over 6,000 miles, btw. No logos left at the end, the sidewall rubber had all peeled off.

Do spontaneous failures happen? Of course. Less than 200 miles on a Panaracer Gravelking SK 700x35. Tire was aired to 60psi. Went off like a gunshot. I sent these exact photos to Panaracer, they replaced the tire no questions asked. The replacement tire was on the bike until the knobs wore off. I've gotten sidewall cuts from debris, rock, etc on every manner of tire. This one just up and exploded. It happens.

Old 06-26-19, 11:39 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I think nearly every single one of my riding buddies who has gone through the GP4000Sii hype phase has also gone through the “too many sidewall cuts” phase and ultimately switched to a different tire.

Here in CA, our roads aren’t roads. They’re cracked up concrete covered in glass and gravel. Loose over hard, if you will. We run over 10-30 (rough estimate of course) small rocks on every ride. Most of us have been hit by rocks flying out from underneath tires multiple times. It’s not rough roads that gets GP4000Sii sidewalls. It’s gravel.

One of my friends talked to a conti rep at Sea otter and asked him about the sidewalls on GP4ks and I remember him saying something along the lines of “I wouldn’t train on these tires”.
Old 06-26-19, 11:54 AM
MSchott

I hate to add to the anecdotal, non-scientific stories but I ran GP4000’s for years, two sets to a total of about 6000 miles without issues. Our roads are third world in some areas with massive potholes that sometimes cannot be avoided. Maybe others are harder on tires. I unload over bumps and don’t overinflate. But I’m no lightweight and they’ve been great for me. I’m not riding them on my new bike as it came with good tires but I’d go back in a minute.

edit: I avoid road shoulders and gravel as much as possible and only ride on concrete or asphalt roads.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.