Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

new cycling shoe/cleats ?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

new cycling shoe/cleats ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-20, 06:05 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Ok.
I cant imagine touring i your shoes either, i guess. There is just no upside.
To each their own. Some find pride in the struggle, even when its self inflicted.
I think it may depend on the nature of the tour. If you spend the day pretty much on the bike other than walking 100 yards or less a few times during the day walking on Look cleats may not be too big of a deal for some. It also may be manageable if you are willing to swap shoes frequently during the day. Personally I wouldn't want to be bothered with swapping shoes too frequently but I wouldn't mind walking into a diner or store for a few minutes in Look cleats.

That said I have not opted to tour in my Look cleats. I have considered it, but have always chosen to go with SPDs. If Looks were what I had, for my style of touring, it wouldn't break my heart though. If I went that route I'd definitely carry a pair of off road shoes too, something I don't always do with my SPDs. The thing is that I tend to stay on the bike long hours with infrequent breaks until I am ready for a long break. Those long breaks might be for a hike of something, but they are infrequent enough that swapping shoes wouldn't be tiresome. Some days there might be none other than a mid day siesta. For someone else who had a style where they stop more often and walk around more during shorter more frequent breaks it might be a real nuisance to constantly swap shoes.
Old 11-20-20, 07:44 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
None of my dedicated road bicycling shoes have any tread either. That includes my circa 1985 Adidas Eddy Merckx road shoes.

Cheers
What struggle? I don't struggle with any of my pedals/cleats setups. I did struggle to get my foot to engage into or sometimes release from MTB style pedals and cleats which is why I went back to toe-clips and straps or Look type pedals and cleats. When I ride with toe-clips and straps and cleated shoes or with Look type clipless pedals and shoes with cleats, I don't have any struggles riding. If I'm touring I'll pack a pair of lightweight shoes to walk around in.

Cheers
I have the cleat release tension on my SPD pedals set really loose, very easy to get out of.

Some of my Keens have a tread not unlike you would expect for the tread on a shoe for urban use. Wide variation in different shoes. Some of my SPD shoes are clearly designed for walking through very poor footing, perhaps designed for a competitive cyclocross race course? One pair of my shoes has some removable plugs that can be used to insert some really nasty looking cyclocross toe cleats.

But nothing wrong with toe clips. I use toe clips on my folding bike. And I noted in a post above that a friend of mine tours with toe clips.

This stuff really is personal preference. The variation is huge.
Old 11-20-20, 08:09 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10956 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
What struggle? I don't struggle with any of my pedals/cleats setups. I did struggle to get my foot to engage into or sometimes release from MTB style pedals and cleats which is why I went back to toe-clips and straps or Look type pedals and cleats. When I ride with toe-clips and straps and cleated shoes or with Look type clipless pedals and shoes with cleats, I don't have any struggles riding. If I'm touring I'll pack a pair of lightweight shoes to walk around in.

Cheers
You mention not having any struggle to ride, and I wouldnt think you would struggle to ride with clipless pedals. I was referring to the walking around as being less than ideal.
Also, your last sentence confirms my reason for not being interested in SPDSL or Look cleat shoes and you seem to agree with me- you have to change shoes to walk around.

The OP is clearly new, so I thought it would be valuable to mention the possible inconvenience of road/look shoes. You mention you have had to adjust for the very inconvenience I mention, so its a valid reason to you.
Really now, what are we even going back and forth about here? If you and the OP want to tour in road shoes, have at it. The OP doesnt seem to know any better, so Ive posted why that style shoe may not be ideal...and you agree with the reason.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 11-20-20 at 08:15 AM.
Old 11-20-20, 08:14 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10956 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I think it may depend on the nature of the tour. If you spend the day pretty much on the bike other than walking 100 yards or less a few times during the day walking on Look cleats may not be too big of a deal for some. It also may be manageable if you are willing to swap shoes frequently during the day. Personally I wouldn't want to be bothered with swapping shoes too frequently but I wouldn't mind walking into a diner or store for a few minutes in Look cleats.

That said I have not opted to tour in my Look cleats. I have considered it, but have always chosen to go with SPDs. If Looks were what I had, for my style of touring, it wouldn't break my heart though. If I went that route I'd definitely carry a pair of off road shoes too, something I don't always do with my SPDs. The thing is that I tend to stay on the bike long hours with infrequent breaks until I am ready for a long break. Those long breaks might be for a hike of something, but they are infrequent enough that swapping shoes wouldn't be tiresome. Some days there might be none other than a mid day siesta. For someone else who had a style where they stop more often and walk around more during shorter more frequent breaks it might be a real nuisance to constantly swap shoes.
Totally agree with all of this. You are an experienced cyclist and tourer, so you know the benefits and drawbacks of all your equipment and a lot of equipment you dont use.
The OP seems quite new and so I thought it beneficial to point out the potential inconvenience of the shoes he picked up. And your explanations both make sense and support what I was saying- switching shoes would be something to consider if touring with look/SPDSL.
Old 11-20-20, 08:32 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Totally agree with all of this. You are an experienced cyclist and tourer, so you know the benefits and drawbacks of all your equipment and a lot of equipment you dont use.
The OP seems quite new and so I thought it beneficial to point out the potential inconvenience of the shoes he picked up. And your explanations both make sense and support what I was saying- switching shoes would be something to consider if touring with look/SPDSL.
I would add that not many folks would be willing to deal with Looks and swapping shoes or walking in them, just that some might on some types of tours, including maybe me. Just to be clear, I am not recommending them or anything, just saying that they might work for some folks.
Old 11-21-20, 12:55 AM
mark d

Bikes: panasonic 1987 dx-5000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
yes the op is new and inexperienced at touring. raced a long time ago and was the third best bike mechanic in a 3 man shop.

1 trip total. the c & o last july. loved it. hope to get at least one trip per year.

really appreciate the education i am getting from the responses....thks
Old 11-21-20, 04:08 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by mark d
... and was the third best bike mechanic in a 3 man shop.
That means that the OP is a better mechanic than 90 percent of the people on this forum.

One more quick note of education on cleats, cleat bolts do occasionally fall out. Good idea to occasionally check them for tightness, especially when new. And even though I know that, I still lost a cleat bolt a couple years ago. Now I use a thread locker (blue/removable) on my cleat bolts, besides using that on my fender bolts and rack bolts. Most of my bikes have a couple spare bolts threaded into a fitting somewhere, one of which is a cleat bolt.
Old 11-22-20, 12:29 AM
mark d

Bikes: panasonic 1987 dx-5000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN

Most of my bikes have a couple spare bolts threaded into a fitting somewhere, one of which is a cleat bolt.

thats a damn good idea

Last edited by mark d; 11-22-20 at 12:37 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 11-22-20, 06:39 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
One more quick note of education on cleats, cleat bolts do occasionally fall out. Good idea to occasionally check them for tightness, especially when new. And even though I know that, I still lost a cleat bolt a couple years ago. Now I use a thread locker (blue/removable) on my cleat bolts, besides using that on my fender bolts and rack bolts. Most of my bikes have a couple spare bolts threaded into a fitting somewhere, one of which is a cleat bolt.
Yeah, I have done that too. it doesn't hurt to have a spare, but I have never ever had a cleat bolt loosen let alone come out in 30 years of using clipless pedals exclusively so I figure that spare bolt is way more likely to be used for something else with the same thread. I was a very high mileage rider for a lot of those years and barely rode some of them, but overall have racked up a lot of miles so me not having lost s cleat bolt in that time seems to me to indicate it isn't a problem if they are properly tightened. I have had most of the other possible problems