Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Speedplay and Shoes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Speedplay and Shoes

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-11, 08:49 PM
rkelley23

Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speedplay and Shoes

I've been seeing a lot of ads for 2012 model shoes that add a speedplay edition or model. What is the difference from the speedplay to their normal road shoe?
Old 10-03-11, 09:00 PM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I not sure if I understand the question correctly so tell me if I missed the point. Speedplay cleats have a four bolt pattern. Look style pedals have a three bolt pattern so Speedplay users need to use an adapter plate with the majority of road shoes.
Old 10-03-11, 09:28 PM
ilovecycling

Bikes: LOOK 595 & Cannondale CAAD9

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There really is no point in going with a Speedplay specific bolt pattern. The shoe manufacturer has to add more material on the carbon sole to create the flat mounting surface for the Speedplay cleat. The 3-hole shoes with an adapter just use the adapter itself to elevate and flatten the surface where it would normally be curved. Stack height ends up being virtually the same. Also, if using a Speedplay specific shoe, you are supposed to use a very thin steel Speedplay shim between the cleat and the carbon mounting surface to avoid damage to the carbon fiber. Why not just kill two birds with one stone by using a 3-hole Look/SPD-SL shoe and an adapter? Then you have the option of running Look or SPD-SLs as well.

I bought Speedplay Zero Stainless pedals and used them for several hundred miles before deciding I didn't like them. Had I gone with an expensive 4-hole shoe over my S-works 3-hole shoes I would have had to sell the shoes at a loss and buy another pair. It's just not worth going that route.
Old 10-04-11, 08:03 AM
Jay Olson

Bikes: Sarto Asola, Colnago EPS, Specialized Crux Sport E5

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SIDI will be coming out with a Speedplay-specific sole for 2012. The advantage is that you don't have to deal with the 4-hole to 3-hole adapter. According to their web site, you get 62 grams lighter installed weight, 6 mm increased aft adjustment, and 4 mm lower stack height. There are many people who like Speedplay and like SIDI, so I am sure these shoes will be very popular.
Old 10-04-11, 08:16 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by ilovecycling
There really is no point in going with a Speedplay specific bolt pattern. The shoe manufacturer has to add more material on the carbon sole to create the flat mounting surface for the Speedplay cleat. The 3-hole shoes with an adapter just use the adapter itself to elevate and flatten the surface where it would normally be curved. Stack height ends up being virtually the same. Also, if using a Speedplay specific shoe, you are supposed to use a very thin steel Speedplay shim between the cleat and the carbon mounting surface to avoid damage to the carbon fiber. Why not just kill two birds with one stone by using a 3-hole Look/SPD-SL shoe and an adapter? Then you have the option of running Look or SPD-SLs as well.

I bought Speedplay Zero Stainless pedals and used them for several hundred miles before deciding I didn't like them. Had I gone with an expensive 4-hole shoe over my S-works 3-hole shoes I would have had to sell the shoes at a loss and buy another pair. It's just not worth going that route.
Not my experience at all. It doesn't take extra material to shape that section of the shoe flat, the manufacturer just needs to shape it flat.

My Rocket 7's ( which unfortunately aren't made anymore) weigh a total of 360 grams for the pair in a speedplay pattern, and I can tell you the thickness of the cleat area is very thin.

My Lake's with a speedplay pattern are also very light. While not as light as the Rocket 7's, they're lighter than a lot of expensive shoes, including shoes like Sidi Genius'

As for the stainless steel plate, not all Speedplay drilled shoes require it. Moreover, the plate weighs about 3 grams, and s about 1 mm thick. It's really a non issue.

I've ridden with Look pedals, and 3 bolt shoes, Speedplay pedals with 3 bolt shoes, and Speedplay pedals with 4 bolt shoes.

There is a noticeable difference in stack height with the 4 bolt shoes, and a measurable weight savings.

Admittedly, if you're just trying Speedplay's out, it makes sense not to buy dedicated shoes, but if you're already comitted to Speedplay pedals, why not get shoes designed specifically to work with them?
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 10-04-11, 08:29 AM
ilovecycling

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Not my experience at all. It doesn't take extra material to shape that section of the shoe flat, the manufacturer just needs to shape it flat.

My Rocket 7's ( which unfortunately aren't made anymore) weigh a total of 360 grams for the pair in a speedplay pattern, and I can tell you the thickness of the cleat area is very thin.

My Lake's with a speedplay pattern are also very light. While not as light as the Rocket 7's, they're lighter than a lot of expensive shoes, including shoes like Sidi Genius'

As for the stainless steel plate, not all Speedplay drilled shoes require it. Moreover, the plate weighs about 3 grams, and s about 1 mm thick. It's really a non issue.

I've ridden with Look pedals, and 3 bolt shoes, Speedplay pedals with 3 bolt shoes, and Speedplay pedals with 4 bolt shoes.

There is a noticeable difference in stack height with the 4 bolt shoes, and a measurable weight savings.

Admittedly, if you're just trying Speedplay's out, it makes sense not to buy dedicated shoes, but if you're already comitted to Speedplay pedals, why not get shoes designed specifically to work with them?
I once sent an email to a Bont rep to see what their 4-hole soles looked like because I was thinking about buying a pair of their shoes when I first went with the Speedplay Zeros (thankfully I didn't though). Here are the pics they emailed me back with:

Sure looks like more material to me. Since they can't take away carbon at the rear part of where a normal 3-hole cleat attaches (the flatter part), and the Speedplay cleats require a flat surface, the only way to do this is to fill out the forward portion with more carbon.
Old 10-04-11, 08:33 AM
ilovecycling

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The BONT shoes seem to have a little more material than what would be necessary, but the other shoe companies still need to do what I mentioned about to achieve a flat surface.

I'm just saying I don't think it's worth it to run a 4-hole shoe even if you are committed to Speedplay pedals. That's just my opinion though.
Old 10-04-11, 08:42 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay Olson
SIDI will be coming out with a Speedplay-specific sole for 2012
It's already out. Sidi Ergo 3 SP. Five hundred bucks. No thanks.
Old 10-04-11, 08:54 AM
bobbycorno

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
It's already out. Sidi Ergo 3 SP. Five hundred bucks. No thanks.
Yeah, well you're probably one of those tightwads who thinks ten grand is too much for a bike, too. ;-)

SP
Bend, OR
Old 10-04-11, 09:54 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Sure looks like more material to me. Since they can't take away carbon at the rear part of where a normal 3-hole cleat attaches (the flatter part), and the Speedplay cleats require a flat surface, the only way to do this is to fill out the forward portion with more carbon.
there's no comparison pic, or data, for a 3 bolt Bont.

And there shouldn't be any inherent reason that you would have to add significant material for 4 bolts; you just shape the material a bit differently.

For the Sidi's we do have an actual comparison: 61 grams saved and 6 mm.

whether that's worth it, is another issue.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...ODUCT.ID=10350
Old 10-04-11, 10:03 AM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The BONT shoes seem to have a little more material than what would be necessary, but the other shoe companies still need to do what I mentioned about to achieve a flat surface.

I'm just saying I don't think it's worth it to run a 4-hole shoe even if you are committed to Speedplay pedals. That's just my opinion though.
I'm committed to Speedplays on Spec shoes, being able to get rid of that adapter plate would be a real benefit. It's one less thing to have to adjust when installing new cleats, to loosen up in use, and that it weighs less/has lower stack height is a bonus.

Drive on.
Old 10-04-11, 10:05 AM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbycorno
Yeah, well you're probably one of those tightwads who thinks ten grand is too much for a bike, too. ;-)
Incorrect. I wear S-Works shoes. Isn't $360 enough for a pair of shoes?
Old 10-04-11, 12:18 PM
ilovecycling

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
there's no comparison pic, or data, for a 3 bolt Bont.

And there shouldn't be any inherent reason that you would have to add significant material for 4 bolts; you just shape the material a bit differently.

For the Sidi's we do have an actual comparison: 61 grams saved and 6 mm.

whether that's worth it, is another issue.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...ODUCT.ID=10350
https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...or-2011/144839

There's a comparison pic. There is clearly less material there. It's not just shaping it differently. The sole is going to have a minimum thickness at the rear of the cleat area. The sole usually curves up towards the toes. 4-hole specific soles fill in this curved area to make it flat from the rear of the cleat to the front of it. Dunno if that makes sense..kind of hard to describe.
Old 10-04-11, 12:30 PM
zigmeister

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Speedplay is a 3 bolt pattern just like Look/Shimano etc...
Old 10-04-11, 12:37 PM
rpeterson

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zigmeister
You're kidding right?
Old 10-04-11, 12:39 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The adapter plate has a 3 bolt pattern.
Old 10-04-11, 12:59 PM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Kinda like with a tranny, an adapter is required...

Old 10-04-11, 01:05 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DScott
Kinda like with a tranny, an adapter is required...

I wouldn't know anything about that kind of thing.
Old 10-04-11, 01:09 PM
ddimick

Bikes: 2011 Look 566 Ultegra, 2010 Specialized Sirrus Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Uh, no. No it is not.
Old 10-04-11, 01:39 PM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shovelhd
I wouldn't know anything about that kind of thing.

That's what s/he said!

[rimshot]
Old 10-04-11, 02:04 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...or-2011/144839

There's a comparison pic. There is clearly less material there. It's not just shaping it differently. The sole is going to have a minimum thickness at the rear of the cleat area. The sole usually curves up towards the toes. 4-hole specific soles fill in this curved area to make it flat from the rear of the cleat to the front of it. Dunno if that makes sense..kind of hard to describe.
I see and here what you're saying. But it basically tells me that Bont patched on an answer to get a Speedplay shoe, rather than building one from the ground up.

Rocket 7's at 180 grams a shoe clearly show you can build a 4 bolt shoe without a lot of excess material.

Based on those pic's I'd be skeptical about getting a 4 bolt Bont shoe, without seeing and feeling it side by side with a 3 bolt, but it wouldn't steer me away from all Speed play specific shoes.
Old 10-04-11, 03:30 PM
rkelley23

Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah after looking at my shoes with speedplay cleats and the new shoes I feel like an idiot. Pretty self explanatory
Old 10-04-11, 05:57 PM
zigmeister

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rpeterson
You're kidding right?

No, you should really read their website and have some on your shoes like I do. It is a 3 and 4 bolt system.

THE LOWEST STACK HEIGHT: The Zero cleat positions your foot closer to the top of the spindle for improved power transfer.
  • 11.5 mm stack height for 3-hole mounting
  • 8.5 mm stack height for 4-hole mounting

FITS MORE SHOES: The Zero cleat fits any shoe with a 3-hole or 4-hole mount.

It comes with the plate for 3 mounting right in the box!
Old 10-04-11, 07:05 PM
Nerull

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
No, you should really read their website and have some on your shoes like I do. It is a 3 and 4 bolt system.

THE LOWEST STACK HEIGHT: The Zero cleat positions your foot closer to the top of the spindle for improved power transfer.
  • 11.5 mm stack height for 3-hole mounting
  • 8.5 mm stack height for 4-hole mounting

FITS MORE SHOES: The Zero cleat fits any shoe with a 3-hole or 4-hole mount.

It comes with the plate for 3 mounting right in the box!
If the cleat requires an adapter to go on a 3 hole shoe, than it isn't 3 hole, any more than SPD 2 hole cleats are really 3 hole because you can get adapters for them.