Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Help deciding on a hybrid bike (first bike purchase!)

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 08-07-12, 03:50 PM
kyle6286

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum. As others have posted before, I'm looking for some recommendations for a hybrid bike. My budget is anywhere from $300-$500. I know I'm not going to get a top of the line bike, but I'm hoping I can get a decent bike in this range. I plan on riding mostly on roads with the occasional dirt road/path. I've heard it's a good idea to try Craigslist for a used bike, but I don't know anything about bikes so I don't want to get screwed buying one that has a major flaw. Not sure where there are any bike shops near me, but I'll Google it. Any recommendations or preferences for a good value hybrid bike that will be used primarily for exercise/enjoying the outdoors?

Thanks!

Last edited by kyle6286; 08-07-12 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-07-12, 04:06 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
It seems a lot of the hybrids kinda start at $600 but we bought my wife a "KHS Vitamin A, fitness bike, (hybrid) for $420.00 to use a "commuter" back and forth to work and as a "back up" bike incase her main bike was down for maint. It's been a very good machine so far, the only change we did was have the LBS put on a step up Shimano Alivio crankset, (chain rings and crank arms), as the Shimano M-131 is a "pinned" triple, meaning you can't replace seprate "chain rings" https://khsbicycles.com/ Still as it comes it will "do the job requried" and be better than a "comfort bike" doing "road riding". Yes, it will handle hardpack dirt roads and rail trails quite well in stock set up. JMHO, YMMV. ENJOY!

Last edited by bjjoondo; 08-07-12 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-07-12, 04:09 PM
kyle6286

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was told by someone to post my Craigslist area on here in hopes that someone might help me find a good deal. Not sure if that's going too far, but it's worth a try.

https://providence.craigslist.org/bia/

If not, any recommendations for new bikes are appreciated.

Thank you
Old 08-07-12, 04:40 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome To Bike Forums, Kyle!

If could increase your budget by about an extra $100, you'd be in a totally different class of bikes, altogether.
Old 08-07-12, 05:04 PM
kyle6286

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimRider
Welcome To Bike Forums, Kyle!

If could increase your budget by about an extra $100, you'd be in a totally different class of bikes, altogether.
Ok, so like $600. What are we talking about now?
Old 08-07-12, 05:21 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kyle6286
Ok, so like $600. What are we talking about now?
I would recommend the following bikes for you:

The Jamis Coda Sport ~ $560
www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/street/coda/12_codasport_bk.html

The Giant Escape 1 ~ $530
www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/escape.1/8910/48613/

The Giant Via 2 ~ $520
www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/via.2/9017/48862/

The KHS Urban Xpress ~ $530
www.khsbicycles.com/bikes/2012-khs-models/urban-xpress/

The Cannondale Quick 4 ~ $630
www.rei.com/product/827791/cannondale-quick-4-bike-2012/

The Trek 7.2FX ~ $550
www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/fitness/fx/7_2_fx_2012

* Something's wrong with the KHS link...

Last edited by SlimRider; 08-07-12 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-07-12, 08:29 PM
kyle6286

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome, thanks a lot! I'll take a look at all of these.
Old 08-07-12, 08:35 PM
kyle6286

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just based on the looks, I really like the Trek and the Coda Sport. Since you can't base a book on its cover, I'll need more to base my decision on.
Old 08-07-12, 08:41 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just based on the looks, I really like the Trek and the Coda Sport. Since you can't base a book on its cover, I'll need more to base my decision on.

The Coda Sport won Bicycling Magazine's Editor's Choice Award for 2011!

In my book, it's the best way to go with hybrids near the $600 price point. IMHO, the absolute best hybrid without disc brakes is this one:

Jamis Coda Comp ~ $775
www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/street/coda/12_codacomp_bk.html

The Jamis Coda was Editor's Choice!
www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/bikes-and-gear-features/2011-flat-bar-road-bikes-679-725

Last edited by SlimRider; 08-07-12 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-07-12, 09:21 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Base it on your test rides. Every manufacturer markets bikes at every price point. So establish a budget and visit the bike shops in your area- ride any and all within that budget. While you're doing this, make note of which shops treat you better. You're shopping as much for LBS as you are a bike. Ideally, you'll like one of the bikes that your fav LBS offers.
Old 08-07-12, 09:40 PM
kyle6286

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks a lot for taking the time to help me. I appreciate it.
Old 08-08-12, 02:26 AM
downtuber
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my first hybrid was a 700c schwinn trailway bought a month ago at Target for $250. had pretty good luck with this bike so far. I could swear it looks and rides like a bike that costs two to three times as much. I did some research before buying and reviews for it seem to be universal praise. I don't think they were wrong so far. It came with 21-speed SRAM shifters and SRAM ESP derailleur, kenda tires, alloy frame and wheels, promax brakes, suntour alloy crank, suntour suspension fork, etc. seems to have lots of brand name parts. still can't believe this is a $250 department bike lol. (Note: the gearing system may vary bike to bike. both Target and Schwinn websites lists Shimano as the gearing and shifting system for the Trailway, but mine actually came with the SRAM shifters and derailleur which I didn't realize until two days after I brought it home from Target. It was a nice surprise to me because I prefer SRAM anyway).

Last edited by downtuber; 08-08-12 at 02:29 AM.
Old 08-08-12, 07:03 AM
kyle6286

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Coda Sport won Bicycling Magazine's Editor's Choice Award for 2011!

In my book, it's the best way to go with hybrids near the $600 price point. IMHO, the absolute best hybrid without disc brakes is this one:

Jamis Coda Comp ~ $775
www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/street/coda/12_codacomp_bk.html

The Jamis Coda was Editor's Choice!
www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/bikes-and-gear-features/2011-flat-bar-road-bikes-679-725
Based on reviews, I think the Coda Sport is a good choice. Obviously, I will need to go my LBS to test drive this baby, but I'm satisfied with what I've read. What can I expect for a price at my LBS? Do they all vary? The link you sent me has it priced at $560.

Thanks again for the help!
Old 08-08-12, 07:19 AM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Based on reviews, I think the Coda Sport is a good choice. Obviously, I will need to go my LBS to test drive this baby, but I'm satisfied with what I've read. What can I expect for a price at my LBS? Do they all vary? The link you sent me has it priced at $560.

Thanks again for the help!
You're welcome, Kyle!

Just remember, there's the Coda Sport, the Coda Comp, and the Coda Elite.

The Coda Sport is just a notch below the Comp. The Coda Comp is just a notch below the Elite.

The Sport, is an 8 speed and has a chromoly steel fork. The Elite is a 9 speed, it has a carbon fork and disc brakes. Neither the Comp nor the Sport have disc brakes. Though the Comp is also a 9 speed with a carbon fork.

Good Luck!

Last edited by SlimRider; 08-08-12 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-08-12, 08:46 AM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
I bought a 2012 Coda Sport in Sept. 2011, I've got 1600 miles on now and I've been VERY pleased with it's ride and function. I like to think of it as a BMW 7 Series Coupe, sweet ride, nice looking and you can do anything for "commute to tour" on it and be happy, jmho, ymmv. In 2011, the bikes had different names, my Coda Sport would have been just "Coda" and for me that name fit's the bike much better. My Coda Sport is my everyday/utility machine, as I'm CAR FREE, it get's used a LOT, it even pulls my homemade utility trailer with ease. The Comp with it's carbon fork and up graded componets is nice but I'm very happy with the "all cro-mo steel" of the Sport. Hope you get to test ride one and several others, one of them will, TALK to you, Enjoy!

Old 08-08-12, 02:28 PM
agoodman

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Crosstrail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a 2012 Specialized Crosstrial base model and I love it!!! Prior to this I had only ridden Walmart bikes and they broke on me quite frequently. I'm a Clydesdale around 230lbs and 6'-1" so I knew I needed a heavy duty bike and the Specialized was just the ticket for me. I have mainly ridden it on road, but have done some minor trails with it. I'm able to keep up with the road bikes with the nice gearing on the bike. I'll be riding this bike for 65 miles in the bike to beat cancer event in Louisville, Ky this September and I simply love riding this thing. I was leaning towards a Trek 7.2 as well, but my local bike shop gave me such a great deal on the Crosstrail that it was the deciding factor for me. I got it 15% below MSRP, plus a Cateye Wireless computer for free, a free professional bike fitting and 1 year of unlimited adjustments!!! Needless to say, I'm their customer for life. Here is the link for my bike, enjoy! https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bik...ail/crosstrail
Old 08-09-12, 11:18 AM
kyle6286

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just went to my first LBS during lunch. I was looking around and one of the guys there helped point me in the right direction in terms of bikes that fit my budget ($500, $600 absolute max if necessary). They had a ton of bikes, but only a limited amount in my price range. He showed me a specialized sirrus ($499), a specialized crosstrail ($549), and a Quick 5 ($499). I asked about any Treks or Coda bikes in this price range but they don't carry them. I figured I'd come back here and do some research on these three. I also have another LBS about 25 miles away that carries the Coda line. I've heard great things about the Coda Sport which I think is something like $560. Is it worth it to drive down there and take a look at them, or will any of these three bikes suffice?

Thanks for your input
Old 08-09-12, 11:20 AM
kyle6286

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by agoodman
I bought a 2012 Specialized Crosstrial base model and I love it!!! Prior to this I had only ridden Walmart bikes and they broke on me quite frequently. I'm a Clydesdale around 230lbs and 6'-1" so I knew I needed a heavy duty bike and the Specialized was just the ticket for me. I have mainly ridden it on road, but have done some minor trails with it. I'm able to keep up with the road bikes with the nice gearing on the bike. I'll be riding this bike for 65 miles in the bike to beat cancer event in Louisville, Ky this September and I simply love riding this thing. I was leaning towards a Trek 7.2 as well, but my local bike shop gave me such a great deal on the Crosstrail that it was the deciding factor for me. I got it 15% below MSRP, plus a Cateye Wireless computer for free, a free professional bike fitting and 1 year of unlimited adjustments!!! Needless to say, I'm their customer for life. Here is the link for my bike, enjoy! https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bik...ail/crosstrail
That's awesome. How did you get that deal? I've never bought a quality bike before, so I don't know if it's like buying a car and there's some wiggle room with the price. Like I said in my above post, the LBS had it for $549 with nothing included. I definitely liked the look of it. I'm going to have to revisit the store and do some test rides.
Old 08-09-12, 12:27 PM
kyle6286

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure if I can name retailers here, but I just saw online that one store has the Coda sport on sale for $100 off the sticker price . They also include a 1 year warranty and a free tune up. Any reason I shouldn't purchase from a bigger retailer? This looks like a good deal on a good bike.
Old 08-09-12, 02:00 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure if I can name retailers here, but I just saw online that one store has the Coda sport on sale for $100 off the sticker price . They also include a 1 year warranty and a free tune up. Any reason I shouldn't purchase from a bigger retailer? This looks like a good deal on a good bike.
Always try to buy from a LBS, if you can. In doing so, you'll be able to personally test ride the bicycle for comfort level assessment and you'll most likely get a period of time for free mechanical adjustments. You'll also most likely get a lifetime bicycle frame warranty. It will at the very least, be longer than just one year.

And yes. A 25 mile drive is definitely worth a test ride for a Coda!

Most likely you won't regret it!

Last edited by SlimRider; 08-09-12 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-09-12, 03:10 PM
kyle6286

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Always try to buy from a LBS, if you can. In doing so, you'll be able to personally test ride the bicycle for comfort level assessment and you'll most likely get a period of time for free mechanical adjustments. You'll also most likely get a lifetime bicycle frame warranty. It will at the very least, be longer than just one year.

And yes. A 25 mile drive is definitely worth a test ride with a Coda!

Most likely you won't regret it!
Hmm, well this retailer is offering the Coda Sport for $476 and they're throwing in a free tune up and one year warranty. I didn't know that bigger stores don't offer test rides. I'd love to shop at a local shop and help them out, but saving close to $100 also sounds good Maybe I'll check out both and see what I like best.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 08-09-12, 03:21 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm, well this retailer is offering the Coda Sport for $476 and they're throwing in a free tune up and one year warranty. I didn't know that bigger stores don't offer test rides. I'd love to shop at a local shop and help them out, but saving close to $100 also sounds good Maybe I'll check out both and see what I like best.

Thanks again for your help!
You get a lifetime warranty on the frameset with Jamis + the bike shop guarantees the entire bicycle for one year. Jamis also guarantees its components for a period of one year.

www.jamisbikes.com/usa/tech/warranty.html

Most bicycle companies offer something similar to this warranty.

Also, in addition to a lifetime warranty, Cannondale has a frame exchange program where you bring in your original frame and you get like 25% knocked of the purchase of the next frame. If you know how to wrench a bike, then you can save. If not, you'll have to pay the LBS to assemble the bike for you.

* I've never heard of a LBS that didn't allow for test rides. If you have a credit card, they'd be more than happy to accommodate you.

Last edited by SlimRider; 08-09-12 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-09-12, 04:51 PM
kyle6286

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[/QUOTE] I've never heard of a LBS that didn't allow for test rides. If you have a credit card, they'd be more than happy to accommodate you.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I was referring to a bigger name retailer, not a LBS. Thanks again for the info!
Old 08-09-12, 04:58 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I've never heard of a LBS that didn't allow for test rides. If you have a credit card, they'd be more than happy to accommodate you.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I was referring to a bigger name retailer, not a LBS. Thanks again for the info![/QUOTE]

Name the source- something doesn't quite add up for me.
Old 08-09-12, 05:28 PM
Bunnicula

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just went to my first LBS during lunch. I was looking around and one of the guys there helped point me in the right direction in terms of bikes that fit my budget ($500, $600 absolute max if necessary). They had a ton of bikes, but only a limited amount in my price range. He showed me a specialized sirrus ($499), a specialized crosstrail ($549), and a Quick 5 ($499). I asked about any Treks or Coda bikes in this price range but they don't carry them. I figured I'd come back here and do some research on these three. I also have another LBS about 25 miles away that carries the Coda line. I've heard great things about the Coda Sport which I think is something like $560. Is it worth it to drive down there and take a look at them, or will any of these three bikes suffice?

Thanks for your input
Try the Cannondale Quick 4. It was Bicycling Magazine's Editors Choice for best flat bar/hybrid for 2012. Will be around $600, maybe less if it's a 2012 and the 2013s have come out. It has a carbon fork and will absorb a lot more road vibration. Also, the Sirrus is a nice bike. Cannondale and Specialized make very nice frames, better than Trek, imo.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.