Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-17, 12:12 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2632 Post(s)
Liked 3,148 Times in 1,657 Posts
Ours are on order too. Pactimo.

Also I hope things start to get better soon Wylde.
Old 12-16-17, 06:54 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
We are submitting payment for our kits this week. We stuck with Hincapie again, which is what we've used for about the past 10 years. Every year someone pushes to change it, but no one wants to be the person to actually investigate new kit options.

And Wylde, good luck.
Old 12-16-17, 08:47 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2632 Post(s)
Liked 3,148 Times in 1,657 Posts
I've done Pactimo, Champ Sys, Voler and Canari for generic/bulk orders. They're all equally mediocre IMO.
Old 12-16-17, 09:15 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Wylde06
Something needs to happen here soon.
I hope things move along for you.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 12-16-17, 09:18 AM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by revchuck
Nice! Now you'll just groan every time you pull up to the pump.
Heh. I already do. My current vehicle gets under 20 mpg also. This one will take 32 gal, I think my current one takes 28 gal. Fuel cost for a year of commuting is about $660, give or take, minus gas points discounts. Might be closer to $400 with points - every other tank I generally get a $1.50 break per gallon. I pretty much won't drive it otherwise, maybe a tank or two to pull the trailer over the course of a year.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 12-16-17, 09:35 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
We are submitting payment for our kits this week. We stuck with Hincapie again, which is what we've used for about the past 10 years. Every year someone pushes to change it, but no one wants to be the person to actually investigate new kit options.

And Wylde, good luck.
I'd change teams if they used hincapie
Old 12-16-17, 09:57 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
My prevous team has changed kit providers every year since they started. Champ sys > Castelli > Vie 13 this year. My new team that I joined down here in Utah is with HyperThreads who is local. It's pretty sweet I will just be able to go to their office to pick it up when it gets here.

Going to be talking with the owner of the company when I go in about getting a skin suit for tt's because the team didn't offer anything aggressive enough in their livery for what I'm looking for. If he can't help me, I'll probably plop down the money for a noPinz suit and just have it shipped.
Old 12-16-17, 05:07 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
We've used Pactimo and Voler (meh) Canari (okay) and for the past few years Castelli (good not great though). I really like the 1 piece kits (San Remo) although they don't last as long.
Old 12-16-17, 05:46 PM
ntnyln

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
I just picked up my kit for my new team. It's from Cutaway USA. I've never heard of them but it seems to fit well. I haven't ridden in it yet though.
Old 12-16-17, 05:50 PM
carpediemracing 

Our team started on a terrible company, moved to Verge, moved to Hincapie, and then to Craft. The team's Verge contact moved to Craft, prompting that move (my contact at Verge is still there, and if I wanted more kits, I'd consider placing my own order through him - I can do incredibly small orders if I want).

The team moved off Hincapie after the doping thing. There were a couple ex-pro MTB racers that really felt strongly about not supporting Hincapie. I have to admit that the kits have held up well and they print "true black" tone (not sure of the terminology). Sizing was bizarre (I swim in a size S short, and they go down to my knees, whereas a size S Verge/Craft fits me fine).

I haven't ordered any kit in a while because I haven't really been racing much in a few years.

I'm a huge fan of the nicer Verge stuff for when I'm in shape. For riders not in shape (me right now) they're incredibly unflattering, but when a bit leaner they fit like a second skin. I'd pretty much order kit from Verge if I get lean again just to reward myself.
Old 12-16-17, 05:52 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Team has been in Castelli for 6 years now (3 for me). Aside from one year that we got the Inferno bibs, we've been really happy with the kit.
Old 12-16-17, 10:35 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Cool picture of team director, new USA cycling Hall of Fame inductee from yesterday at the Thomas Fire - the one just S of Santa Barbara.
From Shelley Verses
Attachment 591974
Roy Knickman, right?
Old 12-16-17, 10:39 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
My prevous team has changed kit providers every year since they started. Champ sys > Castelli > Vie 13 this year. My new team that I joined down here in Utah is with HyperThreads who is local. It's pretty sweet I will just be able to go to their office to pick it up when it gets here.

Going to be talking with the owner of the company when I go in about getting a skin suit for tt's because the team didn't offer anything aggressive enough in their livery for what I'm looking for. If he can't help me, I'll probably plop down the money for a noPinz suit and just have it shipped.
We go thru Hyperthreads too, I like it.

Castelli was great but expensive and slow.

Anyway you don’t like the Hyperthreads skinsuit? Not the “san remo” style one but the TT one, I use it for crits anyway and it makes me feel faster so it must be aero.
Old 12-16-17, 11:20 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
We go thru Hyperthreads too, I like it.

Castelli was great but expensive and slow.

Anyway you don’t like the Hyperthreads skinsuit? Not the “san remo” style one but the TT one, I use it for crits anyway and it makes me feel faster so it must be aero.
I bought two short sleeve race suits for the majority of my racing for next season. The team I'm on wasn't doing custom long sleeve skin suits. Just the long sleeve race suits with the pockets. Tried one on and it was nice, but a dedicated time trial skin suit doesn't need pockets and the fit wasn't quite right for a tt bike Imo.

I actually rode with someone who works for hyperthreads today and he is going to help me get a proper skin suit for tts. Don't really care about it being in team colors. Race day only kinda thing that I'll just be gluing numbers to make it last a long time.
Old 12-17-17, 07:22 AM
topflightpro

Regarding Hincapie, yeah, I kind of hate the guy, and yeah, the stuff runs large, very large. I wear XS in their basic line.

But, the company has been pretty good to us. They give us a discount because we are a nonprofit, and they've given the women on the team teh 10+ item pricing, even though we never hit that. Our rep said she didn't think it was fair for the women to be punished and how could we expect to grow women in the sport if they had to pay so much more for stuff. So, you have to weight the good against the bad. Also, at this point, we've been working with Hincapie so long, it's just easy to continue.

Putting together a kit design and order is an absolute PIA. Some companies have huge minimums. Some have none. Some have huge design fees. Some require you to supply a design...

One other really nice thing about Hincapie is the ordering process. Everyone submits their order individually, pays with their credit card, and the kits are shipped directly to others. Many others require one order with one payment, meaning someone has to divvy all the stuff up. Hincapie used to do it that way. We still have kits from three or four years ago from folks who have not bothered to come collect them.
Old 12-17-17, 09:08 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Roy Knickman, right?
Yes. Effort looks the same.
Capture.JPG
Old 12-17-17, 10:52 AM
topflightpro

Someone posted to our Nextdoor page that she needs to get rid of her super gentle two-year-old German Shepherd because her 7 month old is afraid of her.

As a non parent and dog owner, I was tempted to suggest she keep the dog and get rid of the kid.

Last edited by topflightpro; 12-17-17 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-17-17, 10:57 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Someone posted to our Nextdoor page that she needs to get rid of her super gentle two-year-old German Shepherd because her 7 month old is afraid of her.

As a non parent and dog owner, I was tempted to suggest she kid the dog and get rid of the kid.
I'm a parent and a dog owner, and I'd tell the kid to suck it up. Maybe keep them separated if the baby is on the floor, but other than that, they'll learn to deal.
Old 12-17-17, 11:00 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

As a non parent and dog owner, I was tempted to suggest she kid the dog and get rid of the kid.
don't follow the story. is it "you need to get rid of your dog because my kid is afraid of it?"
Old 12-17-17, 01:26 PM
topflightpro

Sorry, she has a dog and a kid and is getting rid of her dog. I almost suggested she get rid of the kid and keep the dog.
Old 12-17-17, 03:08 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

gotcha.

going to ship books to to you this week. Noah is bringing them home from the other house for me.
Old 12-17-17, 05:05 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Sat, March Air Force Base, So Cal - They play Retreat during Puppy's cross race.
When the National Anthem is done he continues the race.
Made my day.
Old 12-17-17, 05:43 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Kudos to Puppy. He's doing it right.

Demain, on roule!
Old 12-18-17, 07:17 AM
topflightpro

My wife has apparently bought me two shirts from Banana Republic for Christmas.

How do I know this, you may be wondering? Well, Banana Republic has sent me emails asking me to write reviews of the shirts. I'm not sure how they have my email address - I suppose it has to do with us having the same credit card and my email on file with it. But come on guys? Really, you can't wait a couple weeks to ask for these reviews?
Old 12-18-17, 08:18 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
That's a shame. It's so hard these days to keep things secret with as much tracking as goes on. If you share a computer you have to browse in incognito or something to prevent targeted ads ruining it. If you share an amazon account you have to be super careful with the e-mails and notifications and recommendations.

My wife and I have prime, so this year we finally did the household thing and split it out so I have my "own" account, that still has the prime from the main account, but I get my own e-mails and recommendations and stuff.

Even with that, I know I'm getting something from the NFL shop, and I know I'm getting some socks. The first one I picked up her phone and the notification bar had an e-mail up. The second, my not quite 2 year old tattled on her because she took her shopping and said they were getting socks for daddy. So as soon as I got home "daddy socks, daddy socks, shopping".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.