Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Did Anybody Catch "Reveal The Path?"

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-13, 07:52 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts

Huntington's Cinema Arts Centre was packed with cyclists for this show - advertised as a documentary of an epic mountain bike tour - on Wednesday night. My guess is that many were as disappointed as I was.

For 73 minutes, just about all we saw was a bunch of guys sitting around talking about their day on the bikes, with a few short, obligatory clips of them actually riding. And when they weren't getting wasted or forcing us to watch a Napal farmer torturing a chicken while trying to slice its throat open for 90 gruesome seconds, these barely thirty-somethings were lecturing us about how we should live our lives and view the world. Revelations like "Wow, man...these people have to walk all the way down this hill just to wash their clothes, and we just spend our days working to have more stuff" were absolute life-changers for me (eyes rolling in my head at this moment).

Anyway, the scenery was OK, but nothing you wouldn't see in Upstate New York or Western Pennsylvania. If I weren't an avid supporter of the Cinema Arts Centre and a big fan of their natural cafe, I'd have felt pretty ripped off.

Anybody else have any comments, negative or positive?
Old 04-13-13, 02:46 PM
Jay H
One less car

Bikes: '08 Soma Groove (commuter/long distance tourer), '97 Lemond Zurich (road commuter/tourer),'01 Seven Axiom Ti, '03 Look KG381i, '01 Santa Cruz Superlite X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It certainly wasn't "Ride the Divide", that's for sure. I really liked RtD which I caught on Netflix.

Jay
Old 04-13-13, 07:51 PM
Papa Tom

Never saw Ride The Divide. Now I will look for it!
Old 04-14-13, 07:38 AM
Jay H
One less car

Bikes: '08 Soma Groove (commuter/long distance tourer), '97 Lemond Zurich (road commuter/tourer),'01 Seven Axiom Ti, '03 Look KG381i, '01 Santa Cruz Superlite X

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I think you will find RtD enjoyable given that I kind of share your feeling about the second movie by the same folks. I mean, I still liked RtP but not in the same fashion as the first movie. RtD is on Netflix Streaming so if you have that, you can see it there...

RtD has a good soundtrack too!

Jay
Old 04-14-13, 10:39 AM
Papa Tom

I didn't mean to come off so snotty and sarcastic about it. It just seemed like a big tease. I had just watched that YouTube video of some crazy kids scaling a huge mountain on a path as wide as my foot and I kind of expected that level of awe from Reveal The Path. I'm really not sure why there was so little cycling in the movie and why none of the grown-ups associated with this film had the guts to tell the guys in it that their revelations about life were so unspectacular.
Old 04-16-13, 10:14 AM
Cyclerock

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw this movie at Times Up!'s, (times-up.org), movie night, for free, the week before it played on Long Island. I wouldn't call it a 'must see', but it was cool. It came off as a video journal of a few guys riding in remote areas of the world, and what they experienced.

Check out Times Up! for their monthly free movies & rides.