Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Vaya owners - any recommendations for accessories?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-14, 10:13 AM
MissDaisy

Bikes: Salsa Vaya 2; Giant Anthem X4; Trek FX 7.2; Giant Escape 3; Giant Simple Single cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm picking up my Vaya later this week :-). Now, thinking about bags, racks, and other accessories for an all day or few hour ride, rather than a multi-day tour. I think I need a mirror, a rack, and some handlebar/seat/frame bags to hold tools, snacks, light jacket. I also need an easy-to-access place for my iPhone. And a bell, of course. What do you like to use and what accessories have you found that fit well on a Vaya? Thanks.
Old 08-17-14, 10:43 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Congratulations on a great bike. I have my Casseroll set up with a small front rack (came with the bike) and small bag mounted on the front. I keep keys, money, id, lock, and food there. In cool weather, I also keep a windbreaker and leg warmers in there. I have a Topeak seat bag where I put my spare tube, tire levers, multitool and patch kit. I have a Topeak Road Morph G frame pump mounted to the frame. I usually carry my phone in my jersey pocket.
Old 08-17-14, 01:43 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Handlebar bags are supremely useful to the touring rider.. phone can go in it .. turn it off and enjoy the nature ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-17-14 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-17-14, 02:12 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Xtracycle for those multiday tours. Beats a rack/panniers.
Old 08-18-14, 02:54 AM
tourer78

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My pick for the bell

Lion Bellworks - Web Shop

I have them on my bike fridays and love em'
Old 08-23-14, 09:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 4,002 Times in 2,671 Posts
Here are some of my accessories that pretty much live on my touring bike for all rides (they sometimes get shared with my others but when I am touring I always have 'em):

Topeak Road Morph pump

PDW Bird Cage (my favorite bottle cages, they hold things securely including fuel bottles)

Topeak Wedge DryBag (I have the large size and can fit tools, tire lever, two tubes, patch kit, fruit leather, wallet, gloves and probably a little more)

Park Tool IB-2 (simple multi tool but it has a T25 torx if you don't have anything with T25 you can go with the IB-1)

Crank Bros Speedier Lever (only need one)

Light and Motion Vis 180 rear light (or at least go with the micro all the other rear lights I have seen or used are either crap or pale in comparison to this one)

Niterider Lumina 650 (it is probably getting switched for a L and M Urban 800 and this will be my back up, good light though)

Daija Cycleworks Accessory Mount

I am planning on getting a PDW Alexander Graham Bell which mounts as a headset spacer so like that accessory mount no extra bar space is taken because it is limited with my new bars.
Old 08-27-14, 05:27 PM
ClemY

Bikes: Hollands Touring Bike, Schwinn mountain bike, folding bike, tandem and triple

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nitto M15 front rack in combination with a Tubus Tara. That allow the use of an Acorn Boxy Rando bag on the Nitto rack and your preferred panniers on the low rider rack. On the rear the Tubus Cargo seems very good; nice and light and terrific load carrying capacity.
Old 08-28-14, 09:29 AM
Jay H
One less car

Bikes: '08 Soma Groove (commuter/long distance tourer), '97 Lemond Zurich (road commuter/tourer),'01 Seven Axiom Ti, '03 Look KG381i, '01 Santa Cruz Superlite X

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Make sure the front rack works with the straight blade forks on the vaya...
Old 08-28-14, 02:08 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by tourer78
My pick for the bell

Lion Bellworks - Web Shop

I have them on my bike fridays and love em'
Louder with longer sustain but not as sweet a tone as yours, so I got both!

Universal Cycles -- Crane Bell Company Suzu Bell - Brass
Old 08-30-14, 05:28 AM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay H
Make sure the front rack works with the straight blade forks on the vaya...
Tubus Duo might be an option...they are with the Fargo...
Old 08-30-14, 08:24 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
I like to have a separate bag for all that stuff that I hope I do not have to use during a ride. There are a few different cylindrical bags out there that fit perfectly in a water bottle cage to hold a spare tube, couple tire levers, small multitool, some disposable gloves (I ask my dental hygienist for some gloves when I see her) for messy road side repairs, couple plastic bags to put over the seat on rainy days, etc. Some plastic peanut butter jars have also been made with the perfect diameter to fit in a cage, I have spray painted the lids and the inside of a few such jars with black paint to hide what was in them. Put this in the lower cage under the downtube.

The photo is not the model bike you have, but it is the best photo I have of a bag that holds all this stuff.

I am very happy with the Third Eye mirror that clamps onto my helmet visor on the left side. They say it clamps onto a hard shell helmet, but I find it works great for my helmet visor. It is removable for when I travel I can take the mirror off and pack my helmet in a backpack or other luggage.
Third Eye® Hard Shell Helmet Mirror
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20IMGP0424.jpg (97.5 KB, 67 views)
Old 07-24-15, 11:41 AM
judes21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stuff for your new Vaya!

Originally Posted by MissDaisy
I'm picking up my Vaya later this week :-). Now, thinking about bags, racks, and other accessories for an all day or few hour ride, rather than a multi-day tour. I think I need a mirror, a rack, and some handlebar/seat/frame bags to hold tools, snacks, light jacket. I also need an easy-to-access place for my iPhone. And a bell, of course. What do you like to use and what accessories have you found that fit well on a Vaya? Thanks.
Congratulations! You'll just love that bike as I do mine.
Ortlieb panniers front and rear.
Ortlieb Classic 5 handlebar bag
Tubus Duo front rack.
Old 07-24-15, 12:25 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I highly recommend the Tubus Cargo rack, classic version rather than the EVO. It has a larger platform than many racks, making it great for carrying racktop bags. A racktop bag is a great way to carry gear with minimal effects on handling. I personally do not like large front handlebar bags because they obscure my view of the front wheel and the road, and they also affect handling. There are many styles of racktop bags, but many of them seem to flop to one side or the other, particularly if the rack is narrow. The Topeak rack bags have rigid sides, preventing them from flopping. You also might want to consider a small top tube bag for carrying your iPhone, snacks and other small gear.
Old 07-24-15, 12:55 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
All of my bikes get their own accessories shortly after they arrive:
Saddle bag
Blinky
Tire levers
Spare tube
Patch kit
Topeak Road Morph pump
Bottle cages
Speedometer (Cateye Astrale with cadence is a favorite)
Brooks saddle (Pro or B-17)
I have some small front lights that can go on if I'm planning to be on the road near dusk.

Some get fenders, and the really lucky bikes get a dyno wheel and lights after they've proven worthy.

Smaller cell phones used to fit in the saddle bag. Some of the new phones appear to need their own pannier.
Old 07-24-15, 01:24 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
The OP asked this question 11 months ago.