Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Need Trainer Advice

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Need Trainer Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-06, 02:10 PM
was7g

Bikes: LeMond Croix de Fer, 2011 Trek Madone 5.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need Trainer Advice

All,

With winter (finally) here I'm going to be inside on the bike. As it stands now, I ride LeMond spinning bikes at the gym four or five days a week, and that's enough to keep me in shape, but obviously isn't ideal for next season. So I want to buy a trainer.

I've heard people rave about Kinetic trainers, but I've also seen a centrifugal trainer by Blackburn (I think it's called the TrakStand Ultra) that claims to have more realistic movement than fluid or mag trainers. Also, would I do better to get a trainer or a set of rollers? Rollers are cheaper, but I was curious about the benefits in form (with rollers) over resistance training, etc.

Thanks everybody.
Old 12-03-06, 03:26 PM
conundrumx
Smoke me a Kipper

Bikes: Merckx SLX, Guerciotti SLX, Pinarello SL, Specialized Stumpjumper, Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have both a trainer and rollers. If I could only have one it would be rollers, although a trainer does have some advantages (better at sprint and high intensity workouts, pedaling while standing). I prefer rollers because I can get more than enough resistance while maintaining my form. I ride them more too. My fitness level has been maintained more this year compared to others where I have just used the trainer.

Many good choices, but you'll likely have to spend at least $200 for a trainer and $125 or so for rollers (if buying new) to get a quality unit that will last for more than one season. I have the 1 up trainer and the cycleops rollers with resistance, and recommend them both highly.

Last edited by conundrumx; 12-03-06 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-03-06, 03:43 PM
aicabsolut

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like my trainer, and I've thought that rollers can eat tires more quickly (at least my dad's ancient rollers did). I like being able to tune out and not having to worry about balancing. Plus, I like that trainers are easier for high intensity workouts, because when you're inside, you're less inclined to want to stay on the thing for a really long time. I've got a CycleOps fluid trainer, and it works fine for me. I haven't tried the Blackburn one. There's some resistance added by the trainer versus rollers, but that's adjustible and helps when you are doing those high power things menioned by conundrumx.

What do you think of the LeMond spinners? I just changed gyms to one that uses those. I'm not a big fan of them, particularly the geometry and the fact that it seems too easy to 'outspin' the flywheel unless you REALLY crank up the resistance to the point where it's probably not good for your joints. (And I'm not *that* strong.). I don't think we're using the newest model.
Old 12-03-06, 08:57 PM
ekimyel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the tacx flow ergotrainer and bought the I-magic upgrade kit. I 100% recommend this type of system. I know there are others out there like the axiom by performance or nashbar. It keeps your interest soooo much more than just getting on a trainer and riding to music. You can race against computer oponents or previous rides that you did. I actually look forward to getting on the trainer these days. I've been riding it 60 to 90 minutes everyday. Last winter after 30 minutes I couldn't wait to get off. It's definately more money that just a regular trainer, but feel that it's worth every penny!
Old 12-03-06, 09:17 PM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12197 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,109 Posts
Do a search of the old posts, there are a bunch of trainers
out there, you just need to find one that suits you.
Old 12-03-06, 09:58 PM
cuffydog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a Cycle-Ops fluid trainer and it's fine. (Very dull.) My question is this: I'm using it with an old road bike, and find that the drop handlebars are not ideal (for me) for sitting on the bike and looking at the DVD player. I'd much rather be more upright. Any suggestions, more than raising the handlebars--which I've done. Is there any kind of attachment to put on the bars to get me more vertical?
Old 12-03-06, 10:19 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cuffydog
I use a Cycle-Ops fluid trainer and it's fine. (Very dull.) My question is this: I'm using it with an old road bike, and find that the drop handlebars are not ideal (for me) for sitting on the bike and looking at the DVD player. I'd much rather be more upright. Any suggestions, more than raising the handlebars--which I've done. Is there any kind of attachment to put on the bars to get me more vertical?
Remember that your rear wheel is elevated, so you have to elevate the front wheel to get your bike level. Not sure if you're doing this already based on your post...

Pick up the climbing riser blocks--You can stack them, and go anywhere from flat to, well, as high as you want.

Old 12-03-06, 11:26 PM
oilman_15106

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete
Remember that your rear wheel is elevated, so you have to elevate the front wheel to get your bike level. Not sure if you're doing this already based on your post...

Pick up the climbing riser blocks--You can stack them, and go anywhere from flat to, well, as high as you want.

This may sound like a dumb question but does raising the front wheel higher change the load/effort to spin on a trainer?
Old 12-03-06, 11:50 PM
nobrainer440
I play in the street.

Bikes: 2005 Allez Triple, 1971 Schwinn Varsity Fixed Gear Conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rollers. I got some a month or so ago, and I love them. I think I would shoot myself within an hour of riding on a trainer. You can always add a resistance unit to your rollers. If you want to do high-intensity intervals, though, a trainer might be neccesary.
Old 12-03-06, 11:54 PM
3MTA3
★ ★ ★

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
???
use one of these:

(when i was in college i used text books.)
Old 12-04-06, 07:54 AM
cuffydog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm using a front wheel rest already that seems to raise the wheel a bit and also stabilizes it, but I'll try putting a phone book under that! Thanks
Old 12-04-06, 07:56 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by oilman_15106
This may sound like a dumb question but does raising the front wheel higher change the load/effort to spin on a trainer?
No, not at all, but you can shift to a higher gear and simulate a climb fairly well.
Old 12-05-06, 11:15 AM
ggusta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3MTA3
???
use one of these:

Sounds like a better use of those $100 paperweights. Sure beats painting each page with a fluorescent neon marker.
Old 12-14-06, 01:23 PM
mdelpup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently purchased a Blackburn Ultra. I love it, absolutely silent, excellent simulation of road riding!
Old 12-14-06, 04:45 PM
air king

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3MTA3
???
use one of these:

A holdover from my undergraduate days. Can definitely say that I enjoy that book now more than ever.

Old 12-14-06, 06:36 PM
Pb_Okole
Who is Austin Dunbar?

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Lynskey Sportive, Lynskey GR 270,

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I agree. I just started using the Ultra and it has the most realistic road feel of any trainer I have tried. I also have a Cyclops Fluid2 trainer but I think the Blackburn is my preferred choice. I also use rollers so I have about anything I want for winter riding.

Pb