Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Buy or build?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Buy or build?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-23, 08:02 PM
308jerry

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
Buy or build?

I have a Salsa Timberjack and a Trek DS 8.4 and approximately 1500 disposable funds stashed away... Trying to figure out whether I should buy a Bafang mid drive, Tongsheng mid drive conversion kit, rear wheel hub drive. Or just jump on Amazon and get the whole fat tire rear hub drive ebike..... I'm capable of doing the conversion myself but see alot of them with several different controllers. Just can't seem to put all the pros and cons together of all the above... Is anyone happy after purchasing a 1500 dollar ebike from the online store? Twenty mile round trip would probably be the longest ride...
Old 06-21-23, 09:24 PM
adlai

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
I'd argue buy.

For most bikes I could spec out and assemble something similar. Ebikes you can't really do that. Things like battery packs secured on the bottom tube can't really be done on a conversion job.

The best ebike setup imo use belt drives and generally belt drives are beyond any diy because they require specialty frames.
​​
Old 06-21-23, 09:57 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked 620 Times in 347 Posts
For a little more than $1500 you can buy a quality ebike from a reputable dealer. Depending on your use. It seems your'e looking for a commuter. REI has a good selection.
The advantages of doing this? Warranty on the electronics AND the bike, tech support and a better chance of finding OEM parts
Old 06-21-23, 11:26 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 827 Times in 625 Posts
If you convert either of your donors with a mid-drive you'll have a 50 or so pound bike suitable for commuting or MTB, with a hub motor a commuter or bike suitable for dirt roads. On the other hand, the fat tire complete will get you a 65 - 75 pound behemoth good for commuting or dirt roads. You need to decide the intended purpose, read about various models and test ride a few if possible.
Old 06-22-23, 06:46 AM
308jerry

I'm knocking on 70 years, just looking for something to enjoy riding further than I can now. Asphalt, gravel roads and a few short mid grade hills... Mountain trails are out, I have the two bikes because they're comfortable to ride. A couple teens may hop on it a few times a year. I will take a look at REI, thank you. I'm a few hours away from any dealer for a test ride. Would a 1500-2000 dollar hub drive from Amazon be decent or are they pure junk?
Old 06-22-23, 09:15 AM
2old

If you're only riding on the road, there are many good bikes in the 1000 - 1500 range. Read previous reviews on this site and others like electricbikereport. If you want a lightweight commuter, you can find something in the 35 - 40 pound range.
Old 06-22-23, 01:37 PM
308jerry

Lookin at Juiced ebikes now.... Couple of them catch my eye..... Any opinions on them?
Old 06-22-23, 06:51 PM
2old

I've ridden a few and they're generic, but good values IMO. Their owner is a really bright guy (Harvard or some other Ivy school, I forget). They're great if you live in or near San Diego since that's where their offices are located.
Old 06-22-23, 07:57 PM
308jerry

Originally Posted by 2old
I've ridden a few and they're generic, but good values IMO. Their owner is a really bright guy (Harvard or some other Ivy school, I forget). They're great if you live in or near San Diego since that's where their offices are located.
​​​​​​
Generic is what I'm about..... Ordered the Juiced Ripcurrent, fat tire, 750 watt rear hub, 52 volt 15 amp battery, free shipping.... Kind of a sale going, 1320 to the door.
Old 06-22-23, 09:42 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked 620 Times in 347 Posts
They don't list the weight anywhere. I hope you don't have to bring up flights of stairs
Old 06-23-23, 02:32 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 598 Posts
The bike weighs 70lbs. Pretty solid deal for the price. Especially since it's 52v, 750 watts, w/a cadence AND torque sensor. You'll definitely enjoy it. I love my Juiced RipRacer.
Old 06-23-23, 05:42 AM
308jerry

Originally Posted by MarcusT
They don't list the weight anywhere. I hope you don't have to bring up flights of stairs
No stairs involved, maybe load it up in a pickup once a year... Although I've watched videos of people riding up steps and ramps into pickups..... LOL.... I thought about the S version, but didn't really think I would need the 1000 watt hub motor... I've never test ridden an ebike, I'm excited...
Old 06-24-23, 06:12 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I'm 65, not far behind you. Love my Bafang mid bike conversion. I've had zero issues beyond the initial set up. Use it pretty much like you said, just allows me to go further and quicker. Had a couple of surgeries, the ebike was a lifesaver in those. Could still ride knowing I could get back if I bonked or started having pains.

Fat tire bikes really won't increase your range. Somewhat miserable to ride unpowered.

The nice thing about the Bafang is no proprietary limits on anything. Seems like most factory bikes are putting software limiters to only interface with their own battery packs.

Pretty sure I spent more on my conversion 3 years ago than you are looking to spend though. Something to consider. At least factory bikes now have relatively modest priced options.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 06-24-23, 05:29 PM
308jerry

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
I'm 65, not far behind you. Love my Bafang mid bike conversion. I've had zero issues beyond the initial set up. Use it pretty much like you said, just allows me to go further and quicker. Had a couple of surgeries, the ebike was a lifesaver in those. Could still ride knowing I could get back if I bonked or started having pains.

Fat tire bikes really won't increase your range. Somewhat miserable to ride unpowered.

The nice thing about the Bafang is no proprietary limits on anything. Seems like most factory bikes are putting software limiters to only interface with their own battery packs.

Pretty sure I spent more on my conversion 3 years ago than you are looking to spend though. Something to consider. At least factory bikes now have relatively modest priced options.
That's good to know, did you use a steel frame for the conversion? I may at some point do one of the above mentioned bikes yet. I'll see how I feel about this Ripcurrent and then make a decision. I'll know alot more Monday when it's delivered..... Ordered Thursday and FedEx is saying it'll be here Monday morning.....
Old 06-25-23, 08:44 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
No, put a BBSHD mid drive on an aluminum frame Mid 80's Cannondale MTB. I added a torque arm to the mid drive because that is the type of person I am. Close to 3 years now and not a lick of trouble.

There are so many E bike makers now. Impossible to keep up with them all. I have people ask for advice about brands and I have no idea what to tell them.
Old 06-25-23, 06:28 PM
m@Robertson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
It all depends on how familiar you are with being a bicycle mechanic, and how mechanically inclined you are in general. Think of how many people are not suited or able to work on a bicycle, vs. those who are. The task only seems daunting if you are unfamiliar with it. Once you build your first bike frame-up, its not a big deal, right? Many details to get right, but its no longer a mystery project you are afraid of.

An ebike conversion is similar. To add in the 'e' to the 'bike' is a detail-oriented task not to be taken lightly, but the benefits once you take the time to do the job right (and not slipshod) are enormous. Just for starters your own ebike is I hope made from a donor that uses quality cycling components. An el-cheapo $1500 Amazon bike will not be. So we aren't even talking about the 'e' part yet and quality for an actual cyclist who knows what they are about is nowhere near acceptable. You need a quality bicycle and that costs more than an entire ebike on the internet often as not.

But going past that, you need to learn a bit to be able to know how to add that fifth letter of the alphabet. Fortunately the internet is full of tutorials on that score. This one goes pretty deep into details, starting with advance planning, then frame choice. Eventually assembly and follow-up:

How to Build an Ebike From Scratch
Old 06-25-23, 08:14 PM
308jerry

Originally Posted by m@Robertson
It all depends on how familiar you are with being a bicycle mechanic, and how mechanically inclined you are in general. Think of how many people are not suited or able to work on a bicycle, vs. those who are. The task only seems daunting if you are unfamiliar with it. Once you build your first bike frame-up, its not a big deal, right? Many details to get right, but its no longer a mystery project you are afraid of.

An ebike conversion is similar. To add in the 'e' to the 'bike' is a detail-oriented task not to be taken lightly, but the benefits once you take the time to do the job right (and not slipshod) are enormous. Just for starters your own ebike is I hope made from a donor that uses quality cycling components. An el-cheapo $1500 Amazon bike will not be. So we aren't even talking about the 'e' part yet and quality for an actual cyclist who knows what they are about is nowhere near acceptable. You need a quality bicycle and that costs more than an entire ebike on the internet often as not.

But going past that, you need to learn a bit to be able to know how to add that fifth letter of the alphabet. Fortunately the internet is full of tutorials on that score. This one goes pretty deep into details, starting with advance planning, then frame choice. Eventually assembly and follow-up:

How to Build an Ebike From Scratch

Haven't built a bike from the ground up. I have swapped out the rear derailleur on a cheap bike, rebuilt the headset on my Raleigh road bike, swap chains fix flats, brakes and that sort of mechanics work.
Pulled and overhauled several motors from our John Deere tractors and John Deere 544G payloader. So yeah not to intimidated from the ebike conversion.... Just wanted to get a few opinions on the bikes I own for a conversion... The Salsa has some sort of odd rear dropout (don't know the term). I ordered the Juiced ebike but still see a mid drive conversion kit in the near future.... Thanks for the link, I'll delve into that here soon also..
Old 06-26-23, 09:09 PM
308jerry

Juiced Ripcurrent showed up today, had it put together in short order... It's heavy for sure, someone earlier said it's to heavy to carry up a flight of stairs. That was a true statement Put 5-6 miles on it. I think it's a decent ride. Had fun what little I got to ride it.
Old 06-27-23, 09:47 AM
2old

You won't have any difficulty converting one of your bikes into a mid-drive. The only thing you might need are tools for the bottom bracket. Salsa has a "swinging" vertical dropout on some bikes that allows them to be single speeds without needing a tension device. I don't think that will impair the conversion.
Old 07-01-23, 11:18 AM
308jerry

Originally Posted by 2old
You won't have any difficulty converting one of your bikes into a mid-drive. The only thing you might need are tools for the bottom bracket. Salsa has a "swinging" vertical dropout on some bikes that allows them to be single speeds without needing a tension device. I don't think that will impair the conversion.
​​​​​

That's good information on the Salsa. My wife took the Ripcurrent for a ride, she actually did have some fun on her short trip. About seven people total have went on short trips and loved it also.... Now she is concidering one too... Might just try a mid drive on her Diamondback
Likes For 308jerry: