Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

NJ Tip to Tip 3 day Brewery Tour

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-18, 12:59 PM
RobotGuy
Semi-Pro Bowler

Bikes: ‘02 LeMond Tete De Course Titanium (road), ‘98 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo (mtb), ‘88 GT Mach One (BMX)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Planning a three day brewery tour from Port Jervis, NY to Cape May, NJ. Preliminary idea is 85/85/45, which would have us in Princeton the first night (Triumph Brewery), Egg Harbor area 2nd night (still flexing this as there are several breweries in surrounding towns) and end at Cape May Brewery for lunch and a dip in the ocean on day three.

Anyone have some experience on this route? Love to hear some tips, route ideas, brewery feedback, hotel suggestions, etc. Plan is to hotel it, walking distance to brewery, needs a pool and hot tub.

Cheers
Old 03-21-18, 03:34 PM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
Oh, man, that sounds like a lot of fun. I grew up in Westmont and if I still lived out there I would love to tag along. Please post a ride report and some pictures along the way!
Old 03-22-18, 07:45 AM
hfbill

Bikes: Trek 520, Haro Flightline 29er MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Sounds like a great trip! Not sure if you noticed, but you will have to go a couple of miles inland at Egg Harbor to get over the Mullica River. Unfortunately, RT9 merges with the GSP there, so you can't use that bridge.

Last edited by hfbill; 03-22-18 at 07:49 AM.
Old 03-22-18, 09:33 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
You can also no longer cross the Great Egg Harbor south of SR 52 for Ocean City. The Beelsey Point Bridge (former U.S. 9) is permanently closed (they removed the draw span and part of the bridge). U.S. 9 merges with the GSP these, too and is not open to bikes. The workaround is inland to Mays Landing or heading into Ocean City and riding south down the cost. Personally, I would head into Ocean City via the north entrance. SR 152 east from Somers Point then hang a right at the first traffic light for the bridge into Ocean City.
Old 03-22-18, 12:16 PM
RobotGuy
Semi-Pro Bowler

Bikes: ‘02 LeMond Tete De Course Titanium (road), ‘98 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo (mtb), ‘88 GT Mach One (BMX)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by reverborama
Oh, man, that sounds like a lot of fun. I grew up in Westmont and if I still lived out there I would love to tag along. Please post a ride report and some pictures along the way!
Yeah, this was the brainchild of a friend of mine, just the 3 day tour. The addition of the beer component took it to the next level. I’ll be sure to post pics and chronicle our journey without a doubt.

Originally Posted by hfbill
Sounds like a great trip! Not sure if you noticed, but you will have to go a couple of miles inland at Egg Harbor to get over the Mullica River. Unfortunately, RT9 merges with the GSP there, so you can't use that bridge.
Thanks for confirming that, Bill. I saw that looking at google maps, but was wondering about (hoping for) some other option. That and one of the breweries is out of business. Dang!

Originally Posted by indyfabz
You can also no longer cross the Great Egg Harbor south of SR 52 for Ocean City. The Beelsey Point Bridge (former U.S. 9) is permanently closed (they removed the draw span and part of the bridge). U.S. 9 merges with the GSP these, too and is not open to bikes. The workaround is inland to Mays Landing or heading into Ocean City and riding south down the cost. Personally, I would head into Ocean City via the north entrance. SR 152 east from Somers Point then hang a right at the first traffic light for the bridge into Ocean City.
Great input, Indy; just what I was hoping for. The common route is through mays landing, but I was thinking along your lines - the ocean will be more scenic than the Pinelands. That’s the route I’ll be looking into first.
Old 03-22-18, 12:17 PM
RobotGuy
Semi-Pro Bowler

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Now the big question - anyone recommend a craft brewery along that route? Coming down into Ocean City NJ from the north?
Old 03-22-18, 12:47 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by RobotGuy
Great input, Indy; just what I was hoping for. The common route is through mays landing, but I was thinking along your lines - the ocean will be more scenic than the Pinelands. That’s the route I’ll be looking into first.
Just be advised that the wind typically blows up the coast. Whenever staying "down the shore" the common wisdom is to ride inland in the morning then head south then back to the coast to catch the tailwind heading back north.

One thing that can change that is had weather. Easter a few years back I left Lewes, DE for the last leg of a four-day bike tour. Took the ferry to Cape May and rode all the way to Atlantic City to catch the train back to Philly. Cold headwind and spritz off and on the entire way. Even without the panniers it would have been tough going. I nearly gave up and got a motel room in Ocean City, but I found an open restaurant and re-fueled. Never underestimate the recuperative power of fried food and tarter sauce.

In any event, you should take a look at this:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/1983588

It was a one-day ride a club used to run. Can't vouch for the route, but do know that much of U.S. 206 has a good deal of traffic.
Old 03-22-18, 12:53 PM
RobotGuy
Semi-Pro Bowler

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just be advised that the wind typically blows up the coast. Whenever staying "down the shore" the common wisdom is to ride inland in the morning then head south then back to the coast to catch the tailwind heading back north.

One thing that can change that is had weather. Easter a few years back I left Lewes, DE for the last leg of a four-day bike tour. Took the ferry to Cape May and rode all the way to Atlantic City to catch the train back to Philly. Cold headwind and spritz off and on the entire way. Even without the panniers it would have been tough going. I nearly gave up and got a motel room in Ocean City, but I found an open restaurant and re-fueled. Never underestimate the recuperative power of fried food and tarter sauce.

In any event, you should take a look at this:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/1983588

It was a one-day ride a club used to run. Can't vouch for the route, but do know that much of U.S. 206 has a good deal of traffic.
Food for thought on those prevailing winds (and the fried food). Thanks. I often ride LBI's 18 miles tip to tip (or 36 out and back) and planning for the winds is key.

I found that route as well. I plan to drive some of it just to check it out.
Old 03-22-18, 12:54 PM
RobotGuy
Semi-Pro Bowler

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Tuckahoe Brewing Company! It's all coming together.
Old 03-23-18, 07:42 AM
Wharf Rat

Bikes: Miyata 610, Miyata 710, Cannondale SM500

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Tuckahoe brewing is in Egg Harbor Twp, maybe 10 miles inland. Ocean City is a dry town, no breweries there. Cape May County, however has maybe 10 breweries, and is a beautiful part of the state. It's a step back in time.
Old 03-23-18, 09:07 AM
indyfabz

Heh. Forgot about O.C. being dry. A few years ago the town put to a vote whether restaurants should be allowed to let people bring their own when seated indoors only. The measure was defeated. Not coincidentally, there isn't any fine dining in O.C.
Old 03-29-18, 12:47 PM
davlafont
No newbie

Bikes: 2001 Specialized Expedition Sport | 1972 Raleigh Sprite 27 | 1973 Raleigh Super Course | 1984 Trek 720 | 2019 Cannondale SuperX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not sure if you're familiar with the NJ DOT cycling tour site (Biking in New Jersey Overview, Commuter Information). One of their sanctioned routes is High Point to Cape May and they produced a PDF map/guidebook. I've transposed it to RWGPS:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26685836

I'm curious to see how it compares to Indyfabz posted, because the DOT route is about 40 miles longer. I've annotated a few potential camping spots (but no breweries, alas) because I would tackle the 240 miles as four legs. YMMV (literally).
Old 03-30-18, 07:26 PM
roadwing

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back in the late 90s we would ride with the Bucks County Bicycle Club --Wild Bucks!-- and we'd do the MS150 down to Ocean City. First year, we got to our hotel, and we were ready for a beer. No beer in OC. Who's stupid idea was this? Moments later, a minivan pulls up out front. There's the beer. Crisis averted.
Old 03-31-18, 07:53 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by roadwing
Back in the late 90s we would ride with the Bucks County Bicycle Club --Wild Bucks!-- and we'd do the MS150 down to Ocean City. First year, we got to our hotel, and we were ready for a beer. No beer in OC. Who's stupid idea was this? Moments later, a minivan pulls up out front. There's the beer. Crisis averted.
Blame it on the Methodists:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_...Jersey#History

Now, residents don't want the town ending up a party place like Sea Isle City and Wildwood. Can't say I blame them.

I did the City-to-Shore 23 consecutive years starting in '92. When the route used to enter town via the 34th Street bridge people would stop at the giant liquor store just before the bridge and fill empty backpacks they had been riding with. You could always count on seeing a bike or two outside the store as you rode by.
Old 04-01-18, 06:24 AM
RobotGuy
Semi-Pro Bowler

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by davlafont
Not sure if you're familiar with the NJ DOT cycling tour site (Biking in New Jersey Overview, Commuter Information). One of their sanctioned routes is High Point to Cape May and they produced a PDF map/guidebook. I've transposed it to RWGPS:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26685836

I'm curious to see how it compares to Indyfabz posted, because the DOT route is about 40 miles longer. I've annotated a few potential camping spots (but no breweries, alas) because I would tackle the 240 miles as four legs. YMMV (literally).
Thanks for posting. I’ve been a little concerned with the route I’ve found online (posted above). A bit too much state highway for me. I’ll review this route vs the other - might be some nice roads I can incorporate.

Blame it on the Methodists:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_...Jersey#History

Now, residents don't want the town ending up a party place like Sea Isle City and Wildwood. Can't say I blame them.

I did the City-to-Shore 23 consecutive years starting in '92. When the route used to enter town via the 34th Street bridge people would stop at the giant liquor store just before the bridge and fill empty backpacks they had been riding with. You could always count on seeing a bike or two outside the store as you rode by.
Yeah, residents will never allow it to change now. It’s like Beach Haven building boardwalk. Never gonna happen - they like it just the way it is.
Old 04-01-18, 06:25 AM
RobotGuy
Semi-Pro Bowler

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by roadwing
No better use of a support vehicle.