Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Ultra light bike packing where to store fuel canister

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Ultra light bike packing where to store fuel canister

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-18, 01:28 PM
trail_monkey

Bikes: Soma B Side, Soma Wolverine, Salsa Fargo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Erick L
Toaks pots are lighter, cheaper and better designed than SnowPeak. The 650ml will fit a small 110g canister and BRS3000 stove. The 700ml fits a 220g canister but not the stove. I carry the canister wherever there's room.
Yeah but their handle design gets pretty hot doesn’t it? I was watching a YouTube video on the stove comparison and they were using a pot similar to those and the guy had to grab the handles with gloves because they were too hot to touch when is water was boiling.
Old 03-31-18, 02:16 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Follow Erick L's advice ; ). That is what I use.
Old 03-31-18, 03:25 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by trail_monkey
That’s an interesting perspective lol. 👍
I'm serious. I used to be an AT hiker. I carried loads of stuff that just weighed me down, and for what - the opportunity to make my own trail food? Highly under-rated. Lots of people are going stoveless now, and its a lot easier that you think, especially when you are on a bike. I hated the cleanup after. I hated the fact that cooking smells attracted wildlife... and lowlifes... drooling hikers intent of persuading you to share, or ask you to boil some water for them. I'm okay with that. I'm not a dick... well not a complete dick, but it does get old. Now its just eat, hang my food, and crawl into my bag. Simple. Peaceful. Good night!
Old 03-31-18, 03:28 PM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by NoControl
I'm serious. I used to be an AT hiker. I carried loads of stuff that just weighed me down, and for what - the opportunity to make my own trail food? Highly under-rated. Lots of people are going stoveless now, and its a lot easier that you think, especially when you are on a bike. I hated the cleanup after. I hated the fact that cooking smells attracted wildlife... and lowlifes... drooling hikers intent of persuading you to share, or ask you to boil some water for them. I'm okay with that. I'm not a dick... well not a complete dick, but it does get old. Now its just eat, hang my food, and crawl into my bag. Simple. Peaceful. Good night!
Doesn’t trail mix and granola bars and jerky get old after a while (ok maybe not the jerky)? I love a good trail mix but trying to imagine eating nothing but
Old 03-31-18, 03:37 PM
antokelly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
no point in that ultralight even for overnighters .take what you need to be comfy warm dry and fed.you'll be dead a long time.enjoy.
Old 03-31-18, 03:40 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Doesn’t trail mix and granola bars and jerky get old after a while (ok maybe not the jerky)? I love a good trail mix but trying to inshibe eating nothing but
It can get pretty dull, and it did at first, but now I almost look forward to it as a diet regimen. I make my own trail mix. Grains, fruits, nuts, seeds, dark chocolate pieces - all good stuff. You can make it as organic and healthy as you want it. I eat my mix and drink plenty of water.

I try to eat the truly aromatic stuff for lunch, such as sardines, and cured meats so that I can properly dispose of it along the way, and don't attract critters at camp. Sandwich shops and pizza houses are oasis stops for me. I always eat in a cafe if I can. Nothing like hot coffee, but I'm a big fan of Starbucks instant in a water bottle and hit the road.
Old 03-31-18, 03:44 PM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by NoControl
Nothing like hot coffee, but I'm a big fan of Starbucks instant in a water bottle and hit the road.
Amen to that. Most, if not all, of my bike packing friends are coffee snobs and carry one of those fancy presses with them. While I agree cheap camp coffee isn’t as good as stuff you brew at home, a good hot cup of water with a Folgers instant packet or two satisfies me just fine at camp. Those little foil packs of instant coffee take up no space at all. They get the job done.
Old 03-31-18, 04:07 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I'd stop for breakfast and do a little hygiene in the Cafe WC, in the morning..
Old 03-31-18, 08:01 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Amen to that. Most, if not all, of my bike packing friends are coffee snobs and carry one of those fancy presses with them. While I agree cheap camp coffee isn’t as good as stuff you brew at home, a good hot cup of water with a Folgers instant packet or two satisfies me just fine at camp. Those little foil packs of instant coffee take up no space at all. They get the job done.
Amen indeed, brother. For some reason even the most vile brew is welcome when you are outside. Any decent instant is acceptable when you are on the road.
Old 04-01-18, 06:30 AM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Thanks for posting the Olicamp pot! I’m thinking that paired with the “capilary hoop stove - universal” by tetkoba on youtube could be a really sweet setup. You should be able to easily fit another pot, stove, windscreen, and fuel all inside the Olicamp. It should be a light weight cook setup with fuel available most anywhere. That mounted in a blackburn cargo under the downtube might just be my new touring/bikepacking setup if it works out as well as my imagination has it going!
Old 04-01-18, 09:11 AM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Yeah but their handle design gets pretty hot doesn’t it? I was watching a YouTube video on the stove comparison and they were using a pot similar to those and the guy had to grab the handles with gloves because they were too hot to touch when is water was boiling.
They can get scorching using an alcohol stove with the handles within the windscreen - it's the longer alky flames lapping up the sizes of the pot. I lowered my windscreen a height just to below the handles, and also tip the screen to touch the pot under the handles to prevent flames lapping - they stay perfectly cool now.

Originally Posted by 3speed
Thanks for posting the Olicamp pot! I’m thinking that paired with the “capilary hoop stove - universal” by tetkoba on youtube could be a really sweet setup. You should be able to easily fit another pot, stove, windscreen, and fuel all inside the Olicamp. It should be a light weight cook setup with fuel available most anywhere. That mounted in a blackburn cargo under the downtube might just be my new touring/bikepacking setup if it works out as well as my imagination has it going!
I like the idea of the heat exhanger of that Olicamp for better efficiency but THIS review thought the plastic handles and lid might have a problem with the lapping alky flames. Anyways, a full liter is too big for me, I only boil a pint at time. BTW, I use commercial (Toaks) capillary stove and adore it - fastest to bloom/boil/fill/empty/snuff, and it simmers, stuffs (being hollow), not to mention about smallest/lightest... it blows away my Trangia.

I use a Toaks 750 and nest it with a 1L standard Nalgene, which minimizes its space impact. The rest of my kitchen is not much more than a golf ball, and 2-3 decks of cards so is easy to stuff anywhere.