Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Drop Bars: How wide is too wide?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-18, 12:02 PM
jaypeeq

Bikes: '17 Focus Paralane, '88 Schwinn Prelude, '88 Panasonic DX 3000

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My bike fitter recommended I get 44cm on my bikes. Aside from aerodynamics which I'm not too concerned about, Is there any reason not to go for 46cm for more comfort?
Old 05-27-18, 12:16 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
On my loaded touting bike, with 4 panniers I went wider.. leverage for that mass..
Nitto 48.. On Bike tours I spend most time on the tops not brake hoods YMMV

but the classic width test, road bike coaching, matches your shoulder's width,
so it's up to you. do as you see fit.

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-29-18 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-27-18, 12:44 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
How much have you been riding?

How tall/"Big" are you?

I think mountain bikers like wide bars, but I'm not at all sure they're called for on road bikes.
Old 05-27-18, 01:19 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 1,026 Posts
Drop bars and flat MTB bars position your arm and shoulder joint differently. For elbows down (drop bar position), your really don't want to go much wider than your shoulder width because you are pushing the shoulder joint closer to its limits. The classic bar width formula gives you a bar that is good for your shoulders and wide enough to not interfere with breathing, though going narrower is rarely a problem.

If I had 44cm shoulders, I would not get 46cm drop bars to avoid shoulder damage/discomfort.

You aren't going to benefit from the tiny difference in leverage.
Old 05-28-18, 10:01 AM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
When choosing a new bar, be careful with the manufacturer's given measurements. After a fitting, it was recommended I get 42cm or "maybe" 44cm bars. I opted for 42, but the 42cm trek bars I bought are actually measured *center to center,* rather than outside to outside, meaning they actually ended up being pretty much 44cm wide. It's fine, I actually do have broad shoulders, but I think I really preferred the trek "40cm" bars because they were *actually* closer to 42cm in the first place.
Old 05-28-18, 10:14 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheever
When choosing a new bar, be careful with the manufacturer's given measurements. After a fitting, it was recommended I get 42cm or "maybe" 44cm bars. I opted for 42, but the 42cm trek bars I bought are actually measured *center to center,* rather than outside to outside, meaning they actually ended up being pretty much 44cm wide. It's fine, I actually do have broad shoulders, but I think I really preferred the trek "40cm" bars because they were *actually* closer to 42cm in the first place.
This is a notable problem. Also OP pay attention to flare/sweep angle. "Width" is usually defined by the position where the brifters are.

For example I have a 46CM Thomson bar (no flare/sweep)...that is as wide on the hooks as my flared Salsa Cowbell. Both are comfy, then again I have broad shoulders.
Old 05-28-18, 11:47 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheever
Center to center is the normal way to measure bars, so if your fitter recommended 42s, he was talking about 42 center to center. A minority of bar companies measure outside to outside, and if they do you would seek a 45cm size to equal 42cm center to center.

So you're on bars 2cm narrower than recommended.
Old 05-28-18, 08:08 PM
jaypeeq

Bikes: '17 Focus Paralane, '88 Schwinn Prelude, '88 Panasonic DX 3000

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Drop bars and flat MTB bars position your arm and shoulder joint differently. For elbows down (drop bar position), your really don't want to go much wider than your shoulder width because you are pushing the shoulder joint closer to its limits. The classic bar width formula gives you a bar that is good for your shoulders and wide enough to not interfere with breathing, though going narrower is rarely a problem.

If I had 44cm shoulders, I would not get 46cm drop bars to avoid shoulder damage/discomfort.

You aren't going to benefit from the tiny difference in leverage.
Thank You. That's the kind of informed response I needed to hear.
Old 05-29-18, 09:07 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Wider isn't more comfortable. You want your arms to be parallel to the bike centerline, hence bars of shoulder width. You need very little leverage to operate a road bike or road motorcycle. My bars on our tandem are the same width as the bars on my road bike.
Old 05-30-18, 04:17 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
I ride 38cm on the road and 44cm for cross, 42cm for gravel. I was fitted for 42cm bars the last time I was fit, but discussed the tradeoffs with the fitter.
Old 05-31-18, 02:57 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
I'd rather the bars be narrower than wider. But I've only ridden road. Don't know what might be different if it was on a cross bike on fairly rough conditions.

If I were to size based on shoulder width of 17.25 then I'd be on 44 cm bars. But I prefer my 38 cm bars on my Raleigh though I've been riding 42 cm bars on my Paramount the most lately. Not a big difference but I can't see wanting wider. I don't like my hand being that far out when one handed on the brake/shifter and trying to get a drink.

If you haven't already, be sure you discuss why with the fitter. They might know something about you that we don't.