Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Wrong Side Of the Path

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Wrong Side Of the Path

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-18, 10:52 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Found this sign in Portland.

Old 11-30-18, 11:31 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
If it looks like it will happen again, just stop in the correct lane position. Stop early so he has plenty of time to react. If he gets close, and it is not clear if he will hit you, scream as loud as you can. I like to yell " heads up" if someone still does not get it soon enough, I yell "wake up". Not good, some people may get mad. But I don't care, it's better than a collision.
I yell "please pay attention" and people usually don't get mad at that. The bright lights and bright clothes make it hard to miss me when others are paying the slightest bit of attention.
Old 12-01-18, 09:46 PM
kdmatcek

Bikes: Fuji Sunfire 1.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same thing happens in Wal-Mart every day.
Old 12-02-18, 04:27 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
...I yell "wake up"
Ha! Me too. About 1000 times in the past 10 years.

Originally Posted by kdmatcek
Same thing happens in Wal-Mart every day.
Thanks for the report. Another reason to never go there.
Old 12-05-18, 12:36 PM
italktocats

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I love how these threads always degenerate into some grand inquisition with the goal of blaming the OP for the mishap.

Y'all weren't there, and there isn't a black box to minutely pick apart the details.
Oblivious guy wandering further and further into your lane is not a one-off problem--it's possible to discuss how you handle it without jumping to accuse the OP of doing it wrong.
then he shouldnt post online about he ran into an object in front of him that he was looking at already

how do you feel about car driver that LOOK AT YOU and still RUN INTO YOU, while STILL LOOKING AT YOU, shouldnt laugh or blame them?
Old 12-05-18, 12:40 PM
italktocats

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
Happens here a lot. Eastern Europeans, most of them. Once we're in shouting distance I call ''left!'' As obviously I can't shout ''You're in ****ing England now you thick ****!''
I always manage to avoid a collision, or they do as they get bush-whipped.
your left or mine?
Old 12-05-18, 02:05 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by italktocats
then he shouldnt post online about he ran into an object in front of him that he was looking at already

how do you feel about car driver that LOOK AT YOU and still RUN INTO YOU, while STILL LOOKING AT YOU, shouldnt laugh or blame them?

It was an object in front of him that he had taken the most obvious step to evade--moving as far to the right as he could. Being sane, I wouldn't anticipate that someone would do something as stupid as cutting off the very small amount of the path I had left to complete the pass safely. You don't know what the timing was, whether leaving the path was a viable option or if stopping would have prevented him from getting hit.

If somebody swerves right in front of you in an unpredictable manner, it doesn't really matter than you were seeing them the whole time if the final swerve happens too close to react.

You weren't there, you're talking through your hat when you assign blame.
Old 12-05-18, 07:47 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I was in a precarious position once facing another cyclist in a potential head-on or close pass situation.

I was on the wrong side of the pathway having just passed a pedestrian or a jogger. The on-coming cyclist just did the same thing and we were facing each other trying to get back into our respective positions on our right side of the path. We didn't see each other beforehand because we were both coming around a bend.
I forgot if I swerved quickly enough or if I had decided to stop and let him swerve around me.

Anyways, the collision was averted.

Last edited by Daniel4; 12-05-18 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-06-18, 12:20 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I'll move as far to my side as possible, leaving them enough room for a bus, but sometimes they just panic in their commitment to the side theyve taken and will plant themselves into the bushes before choosing the huge open road on their side. There's just no helping one of those.
Old 12-06-18, 07:43 AM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Arkansas Razorback Greenway, every inch of it is meant to have travelers on the right, walkers, runners, bikes. Keep right, pass on the left. Signs all over the place.

I was headed south and nearly collided with a cyclist headed north. He was pretty much in the middle of the MUP, weaving over the line. I shouted "heads up" to which he moves to his left even more and heads straight for me. I came to a stop and braced myself. He came to a halt too, his front tire to the right of mine nearly one full wheel diameter, nearly off the pavement facing me. We were practically standing next to each other.

I asked what he was doing.. He said the sigh back a ways said that cyclists should keep left. I said NO, EVERYONE keeps to the right. I asked where the sign was and he said it was at the last large street crossing. I went around him, he continued on the left going the opposite way. I got to the crossing and stopped and looked back. Sure enough, there was a sign. CYCLISTS KEEP LEFT. I scratched my head a bit and then realized. The MUP was common here, 12' of concrete for all to use, at this point it split off to a sidewalk on the right (as you head north) and a sharrow lane for bikes in the street on the left. So, what the sign was saying, walkers keep on the sidewalk to the right, bikes use the sharrow on the left. The normal KEEP RIGHT rule was still in place, so the goof I about ran in too was taking it too literally. I emailed the Arkansas Greenway commission advising them of this confusing sign. It's still there to this day.

So, it happens, sometimes the cyclists is at fault, sometimes it's an interpretation of something. Anyway, I'm always careful when riding this section because of that. In the OPs case it was just a goof riding too fast not paying attention. Good luck trying to convince him otherwise. The OP probably did the right thing, just let it slide. I would continue to shout HEADS UP and KEEP RIGHT, just watch this dummy like a hawk. Hard to do in the dark, I know. But I can't picture too many people being on the OPs route at that time.
Old 12-06-18, 12:34 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 917 Posts
Riding home Tuesday, having survived Highway 101 once again, I was cruising on the MUT in the right lane, when I encountered a gentleman riding towards me on a busted up BSO towing all his earthly possessions; he had earbuds in, and his head turned away from me, whistling to a dog across the road (more likely trying for the attention of the young woman with the dog). He was wandering freely side-to-side, so I started yelling. Loudly. More loudly. Nearly screaming and 5 feet apart, he suddenly noticed me and swerved back into his lane, with an alarmed 'Oh!' Stopping wouldn't have helped, though I did slow (and was prepared to dodge), and I couldn't get off the trail, because there was a smelly marsh pond immediately to my right. So, men, please pay attention to the task at hand. Thank you.

Stupid human tricks.
Old 12-06-18, 08:21 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Really...??? pretty well ALL the account's of things going wrong seem to add to ONE thing, people going too fast, in general... JMO...
Old 12-07-18, 08:41 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
^^^

​​​​​​​
Old 12-07-18, 11:22 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Some of the people that I meet up with that are on the wrong side of the bike path seem to be the kind that are belligerent and are challenging me to keep right where I should be. I keep right and even stop on the right side if I have to, so they have to pass me on the left.
Old 12-07-18, 08:05 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Some of the people that I meet up with that are on the wrong side of the bike path seem to be the kind that are belligerent and are challenging me to keep right where I should be. I keep right and even stop on the right side if I have to, so they have to pass me on the left.
There you go, and easy solution to this "problem"... STOP, and they must go around you... How hard IS that...???
Old 12-09-18, 11:57 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Rootman
Arkansas Razorback Greenway, every inch of it is meant to have travelers on the right, walkers, runners, bikes. Keep right, pass on the left. Signs all over the place.

I was headed south and nearly collided with a cyclist headed north. He was pretty much in the middle of the MUP, weaving over the line. I shouted "heads up" to which he moves to his left even more and heads straight for me. I came to a stop and braced myself. He came to a halt too, his front tire to the right of mine nearly one full wheel diameter, nearly off the pavement facing me. We were practically standing next to each other.

I asked what he was doing.. He said the sigh back a ways said that cyclists should keep left. I said NO, EVERYONE keeps to the right. I asked where the sign was and he said it was at the last large street crossing. I went around him, he continued on the left going the opposite way. I got to the crossing and stopped and looked back. Sure enough, there was a sign. CYCLISTS KEEP LEFT. I scratched my head a bit and then realized. The MUP was common here, 12' of concrete for all to use, at this point it split off to a sidewalk on the right (as you head north) and a sharrow lane for bikes in the street on the left. So, what the sign was saying, walkers keep on the sidewalk to the right, bikes use the sharrow on the left. The normal KEEP RIGHT rule was still in place, so the goof I about ran in too was taking it too literally. I emailed the Arkansas Greenway commission advising them of this confusing sign. It's still there to this day.

So, it happens, sometimes the cyclists is at fault, sometimes it's an interpretation of something. Anyway, I'm always careful when riding this section because of that. In the OPs case it was just a goof riding too fast not paying attention. Good luck trying to convince him otherwise. The OP probably did the right thing, just let it slide. I would continue to shout HEADS UP and KEEP RIGHT, just watch this dummy like a hawk. Hard to do in the dark, I know. But I can't picture too many people being on the OPs route at that time.
In the 'British Empire' we drive on the left. Not many seem to know why. It was an old knoght's agreement so they could pass on horseback without clashing swords..

These days we have the same problem with cyclists on MUP's (as you call them). Because pedestrians walk a road on the right - toward on-coming traffic. This so they can see the vehicles approaching near them. But vehicles drive on the left.
Naturally a bicycle should always be on the left, but some have taken to their pedestrian stance, due to pedestrians choosing to walk on the right! Our council have tried painting arrows in some places (left forward), but we have over 100 miles in this little town, and nobody knows who the arrows are for.

Me, i'm using a vehicle, so i keep to the left of on-coming vehicles, but go to the right of on-coming pedestrians. Just as i would on a road.
Old 12-09-18, 01:53 PM
BikingTech

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hah, all these cool near miss stories. I'm honestly laughing. My story is about the time I almost hit a little boy who looked like he just got off training wheels. I was about to pass his parents and called out Left! They called out to him and he stopped after doing a partial u-turn right in front of me. I clipped him with my pedal and ended up doing a face plant on the side of the path.
Old 12-17-18, 09:43 AM
CliffordK

We gave a traffic engineer here in Eugene that could help you out with proper lane positioning.

Old 12-17-18, 09:57 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Found this sign in Portland.

I'm still trying to figure out the extreme tuck above.

Holding on to the fork and impaling yourself with the handlebars and saddle is a total commit.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 12-17-18 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-17-18, 10:17 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
There you go, and easy solution to this "problem"... STOP, and they must go around you... How hard IS that...???
That's what I do, because I'm not going to let them do the target-fixation dance and run into me. Hold my line, slow, and come to a stop if that's what it takes. BUT ... I had one guy come to a stop in front of me at the very edge of the right side of the path, griping and mouthing at me until he realized he forgot to clip out and "tombayed" in slow motion into the grass After which I figured it was safe enough to go around him.

This was exactly here. Maybe he thought it was one-way and he was teaching me a lesson, but I'm not having it right there because a couple of years before, a 65 year old lady - experienced touring cyclist - was killed just past there by some idiot on the wrong side.

Last edited by wphamilton; 12-17-18 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-17-18, 10:53 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by mr_bill
I'm still trying to figure out the extreme tuck above.

Holding on to the fork and impaling yourself with the handlebars and saddle is a total commit.

-mr. bill
Interesting question. That was Portland, after all, known to be a little quirky.

The UCI has rules for everything. Do they even require handlebars? The feet aren't very close to the pedals either.

One might expect that on a major descent, but this path was fairly flat.
Old 12-17-18, 11:19 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
If it's not handlebars, then it is a Jetsons' Jetpack. As worn by Elroy and Astro. (Admit it, you can hear the exhaust sound.)

-mr. bill
Old 01-18-19, 01:11 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Why is the oddly-positioned cyclist appears to be broadcasting some kind of energy rays from the top of his head to the backside of the pedestrian ahead?