Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

More "Proof" That Right-Hook/Left-Hook Will Never Be Solved

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

More "Proof" That Right-Hook/Left-Hook Will Never Be Solved

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-19, 10:08 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
It's my experience that trolleys go where their tracks go. So at an intersection, if the tracks go straight, I can't get left or right hooked by a trolley.

Trackless trolleys have a *little* more flexibility, but they still have to stay with their power lines, or.... So if the power lines go straight, the operator is going straight too, even at an intersection.

People driving cars are SUPPOSED to go where the arrows point. But they don't.

Now, here's the thing that Joey understands that you two don't. EVERYTHING is out of sight out of mind for some drivers. In some cases, even IN SIGHT it's GTFOOMW for some drivers.

From a couple of years ago.

Note the driver of the Jeep (same Jeep as the beginning of the video) checks out of a left hook at 0:44. Fine, after you.... (So many road color vehicles....)

I check out of a left hook at the same time, when the driver of the Subaru looks RIGHT AT ME, and accelerates and turns left, because GTFOOMW. Fine, after you....

Bus/Bike to Sharrows

My Boston area riding is largely confined to weekends, but what I find most challenging there (as opposed to other cities) is the large number of odd angle, multiple road intersections, with turn lanes and signals that are so confusing to drivers that you just have to assume as a bicyclist that one of the drivers is going to do something wrong. Basically, I always try to approach these so I have an out if someone takes an unsignaled improper turn, but I have no idea how stressful it must be dealing with such places in rush hour on a regular basis.
Old 02-07-19, 10:58 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
...just have to assume... that one of the drivers is going to do something wrong.
One of the drivers? Be still my heart!

But yes, the squares of greater Boston are our deep end.

p.s. Biking in Boston is not dangerous. Walking in Boston is not dangerous.

But drivers in Boston are dangerous. Luckily, they often are moving so slowly that they can't get out of their own way.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 02-07-19 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-07-19, 11:12 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
MOD NOTE TO ALL: Political content belongs in the P&R Forum.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html