Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Has A&S Changed Your Behavior?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Has A&S Changed Your Behavior?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-19, 05:23 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
...let them see you obeying the law and not taking unnecessary risks..
What if.....obeying the law CREATES unnecessary risk? Is it OK to lead by example then, or do I lead by stubbornness and by denying the facts on the ground?

Just sayin'.
Old 02-02-19, 06:33 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
What if.....obeying the law CREATES unnecessary risk? Is it OK to lead by example then, or do I lead by stubbornness and by denying the facts on the ground?

Just sayin'.
Obeying the Law does not create extra/un-necessary risk... What does, Is that one, or both persons fail to follow the rules of the road... JMO... Maybe what you mean is evasive maneuver's that contravene the laws, may make things "safer"...???

Last edited by 350htrr; 02-02-19 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-02-19, 07:41 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
Obeying the Law does not create extra/un-necessary risk...
It certainly can. Take a look at the attached map at the intersection of Pasadena and West Metairie. I ride south on Pasadena and stop at W. Metairie. I need to get over to Houma. W. Metairie traffic moves at about 45 MPH, the lanes are narrow, and motorists are not conditioned to seeing cyclists. If I go west on W Metairie, u-turn near Krispy Kreme then go all the way back to Houma, I will have to deal with pulses of traffic on each of those stretches. Or I can hit the first u-turn, then wait for a break in the traffic and go about 200 feet the wrong way and be on Houma. By breaking the law I will not encounter any traffic at all. By obeying the law I will encounter 2-3 pulses of 45 MPH traffic on a narrow road where motorists aren't accustomed to cyclists. Which sounds safest to you and why?
Old 02-02-19, 08:51 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
It may not be safe, but I'm going for the doughnuts...
Old 02-02-19, 10:04 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
It certainly can. Take a look at the attached map at the intersection of Pasadena and West Metairie. I ride south on Pasadena and stop at W. Metairie. I need to get over to Houma. W. Metairie traffic moves at about 45 MPH, the lanes are narrow, and motorists are not conditioned to seeing cyclists. If I go west on W Metairie, u-turn near Krispy Kreme then go all the way back to Houma, I will have to deal with pulses of traffic on each of those stretches. Or I can hit the first u-turn, then wait for a break in the traffic and go about 200 feet the wrong way and be on Houma. By breaking the law I will not encounter any traffic at all. By obeying the law I will encounter 2-3 pulses of 45 MPH traffic on a narrow road where motorists aren't accustomed to cyclists. Which sounds safest to you and why? https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pa...!4d-90.1748153
Thanks. I could list a dozen more in five minutes but you pretty much covered it. In a similar scenario there are many traffic signals around NOLA city grid that by strategically running red lights I can operate in the GAPS created by the red light and have to encounter 1/10 or less the traffic than if I obeyed the law. That's just ONE example that applies to 50 intersections.

W. Metairie Ave, which should be W. Metairie BLVD, or HIGHWAY, is HATEFUL. Anything you can do to avoid it during rush hours, including just taking to the sidewalk, sounds like a good idea to me.

Cheers.
Old 02-03-19, 02:50 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
It may not be safe, but I'm going for the doughnuts...
Where's the like button on this thing?
Old 02-05-19, 03:12 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Where's the like button on this thing?
Looks like you found it ...
Old 03-04-19, 01:35 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by SHBR
Isn't amber used for turn signals?

That could confuse some road users.

There seems to be an uptick in confusion on the roads thanks to all of the electronic gadgets that are in use by almost everyone on or near the roadway.

That I learned from real world experience, and its also been confirmed by many users on this board.

Confirmation bias eh?
A flashing AMBER light is used universally to indicate hazards. Notice that the barrier signs/pillars they put out near big potholes et cetera are FLASHING AMBER LIGHTS? That's because everyone driving should recognize them as hazard warning lights and thus avoid running into them. I LOVED my old Belt Beaco and would get another one if I could find one at a reasonable price.

Cheers
Old 03-06-19, 11:45 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
That's why you use red blinkies.