Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Triathlon shoes for long distance cycling?

Old 03-21-19, 08:03 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Triathlon shoes for long distance cycling?

I was browsing shoes at the shop the other day. Shimano TR5 piqued my interest, so I looked up some reviews online and the first thing that shows up on Google:

The Shimano TR5 Triathlon shoes offer high-performance features at an entry-level price. The reversed strap closure and heel strap allow fast transitions and the quick dry interior is comfortable even without socks. The lightweight glass fiber reinforced-polyamide sole ensures efficient pedaling.
Note the 3 points I underlined... aren't those points also great features for the purpose of long distance cycling? Easy to take off and put back on at stops, will dry fast after a heavy downpour, I can ditch my socks too if they're too wet after the rain?

I looked up other similar shoes like the S-Works Trivent and it also prominently features all the same characteristics (quick to wear, breathability/drying, and sock-less comfort).

What am I missing?

Last edited by atwl77; 03-21-19 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-22-19, 06:24 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by atwl77
What am I missing?
Walkability?
For LD riding being able to cross a convenience store floor without doing an impression of being on ice skates while replenishing drinks/snacks would matter to me more than being sockless.

-Bandera
Old 03-22-19, 06:28 AM
phile

Bikes: van moof dropdown, btwin triban 100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 10 Posts
depending on how you slip/fall you can entertain everyone around you though
Old 03-22-19, 08:00 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
Maybe for Malaysia. In northern Europe and the U.S., taking your shoes off is not allowed at most stores. Do they make mountain biking triathlete shoes? There is a lot of walking at PBP, so people with mountain shoes are probably happiest.

Now I'm going to be looking for shoeless riders at PBP controls.
Old 03-22-19, 07:04 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Originally Posted by unterhausen
Maybe for Malaysia. In northern Europe and the U.S., taking your shoes off is not allowed at most stores. Do they make mountain biking triathlete shoes? There is a lot of walking at PBP, so people with mountain shoes are probably happiest.

Now I'm going to be looking for shoeless riders at PBP controls.
That's interesting to know... though I was thinking more about when resting, or sitting at a table, rather than walking around barefoot. It would be much less of a hassle to put the shoes back on when one needs to go to the toilet, or to walk over to the counter to order/pay. Unless that's also not allowed?

Not sure if there are any tri shoes supporting 2-bolt cleats though.
Old 03-23-19, 11:13 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
I take "water shoes" that roll up on tour with me so I have outdoors slippers for when I don't want to put my cycling shoes back on in the evenings after a shower, they might be worth wearing at controls instead of road shoes since the water shoes have a rubber sole that should count as a shoe and still give the feet some respite.
Old 03-24-19, 07:12 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Have had my Shimano Tri shoes since 2013 - 2 Ironman FL plus others, wore yesterday for a short 69 miles, 307 miles in 2017 Bike Sebring 12/24 Hour ride, Six Gap, great for riding, great for climbing, walk with no issues, can $pend lot$ more but they're fine for me.
Old 03-24-19, 09:38 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Originally Posted by clasher
I take "water shoes" that roll up on tour with me so I have outdoors slippers for when I don't want to put my cycling shoes back on in the evenings after a shower, they might be worth wearing at controls instead of road shoes since the water shoes have a rubber sole that should count as a shoe and still give the feet some respite.
Do you have a link or picture of your shoes?

I haven't heard of the term before and when I looked it up on Google, I found a wide variety of water shoes in all shapes and sizes (e.g. looking like sneakers, sandals, and more).
Old 03-25-19, 06:44 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
water shoes are slippers with a thin rubber sole.

If you do follow through with your triathlete shoe idea, you might want to take light shoe covers to PBP, it's late summer, so overnight temperatures can be down in the single digit Celsius temperature range.
Old 03-25-19, 10:34 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 838 Times in 406 Posts
I have Shimano Tri- shoes (not those, but similar, don't recall model right now) and I have some Giro Factors.
The Tri shoes do live up to those selling points, no question, but they are not even close to being as comfortable as the Factors. Long time in the saddle? I'd rather not wear the Tri shoes that day.
Old 03-25-19, 07:12 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by atwl77
Do you have a link or picture of your shoes?

I haven't heard of the term before and when I looked it up on Google, I found a wide variety of water shoes in all shapes and sizes (e.g. looking like sneakers, sandals, and more).
These are the ones I have and they are pretty cheap but they are like unterhausen says, floppy rubber slippers.
Old 03-26-19, 07:25 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Thanks. I've really not seen these kind of shoes here (locally), guess I'll keep my eye out more attentively the next time I go shoe shopping.

Anyways, just received my TR5 in the mail and I'll see how well it performs on my rides for the next couple of weeks. Not committed on any decision yet, just experimenting. If it doesn't pan out well I'll just go back to my reliable (but fairly beaten up) Specialized Audax shoes.

On another note, while fitting my cleats I also noticed the TR5 does supports both 2-bolt SPD and 3-bolt SPD-SL cleats.
Old 03-26-19, 11:43 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I don't normally take my shoes off on anything 400k or shorter.
I'd say the triathlon-specific features are pretty meaningless for long-distance, but that doesn't mean they can't be used. If they're comfortable and either warm enough/ cool enough, that's all that really matters.