Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Green Brier Trail WV 2018

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 04-01-18, 02:37 PM
mdadams1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

I did a search of the Green Brier Trail in WV and nothing that seems too current as far as the condition of the trail is as of April 2018. Also opinions on how to bicycle it in 2 days as far as a strategy is concerned. We are coming from Central PA to access the trail. Best places to stay etc. Any opinons?

Mike A.
Old 04-01-18, 05:19 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
The trail might still be closed at the southern end. If you don't get any info here, there is a Warmshowers host along the trail. She might have some updated information on the conditions of the trail. Post back if you don't find her and I will try to look in my messages to see if i can find her. For some reason, I think she goes by the name of Sherry but I might be wrong.

There really is much along the trail of places to stay. Most everything is straight up the hill. There is a state park camping along the way with a restaurant nearby. The park at Marlinton is an excellent place to camp. White Sulphur Springs was camping with restaurants nearby but it is a steep climb up there.

Are you talking 2 days one way? Or RT? 2 days one way is about right. RT a bit much.

Be sure to take time to do a train ride in Cass.
Old 04-02-18, 10:36 AM
Mtroup

Bikes: Jones Plus, Tern Verge Tour

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: camping, I've read that there are campsites about every ten miles. Can't recall where I read that, but you could probably call the hosts at the sites and get some info on conditions.
Old 04-02-18, 11:00 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 15,474 Times in 7,312 Posts
Seems like it became fully open again as of last year:

Trail Reconstruction Updates

I think the site would note if there had been additional damage since the last flooding.

If you purchase ACA's Allegheny Mountains Loop map it includes the trail and shows the location of lodging, camping, restaurants, etc. The map can be purchased electronically (PDF) if desired:

https://www.adventurecycling.org/rou...ountains-loop/
Old 04-02-18, 11:55 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by Mtroup
Re: camping, I've read that there are campsites about every ten miles. Can't recall where I read that, but you could probably call the hosts at the sites and get some info on conditions.

Yes there are campsites along the trail bu they are very rustic. I don't even recall water being available. I do recall at least some having shelters.
Old 04-02-18, 01:13 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 15,474 Times in 7,312 Posts
According to the ACA map, some of the public, trail-side campgrounds have water. Some do not. However, I haven't checked the map addenda.
Old 04-02-18, 02:52 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by mdadams1
I did a...
The first google return yields this Greenbrier Trail map with campsites indicated:

https://1djciw2nayur2c2mvt4dir9d-wpe...ochure_map.pdf

Tent camping reservations are available by mail or phone at $33 per night. Perhaps a cheap room should be considered - not having to carry camp/cook gear, plus bed and shower may be worthwhile to many. You could do this route a number of ways:

1. Ride the entire 80 mi trail unloaded in a day, no overnight necessary. Requires two motor vehicles plus additional ~300 miles/~6 man-hrs driving, or arrange/reserve return transport.

2. Ride one end to the other, stay night, then back, 80+80 mi. Lodging available both NE and SW trail ends within additional 2-6 mi ride on public roads. Only one vehicle required, which saves 300 miles/6hrs driving, or approximately the cost of a motel room. NE->SW is "downhill". Camping also possible within a couple miles of both trail ends.

3. Variation of 1, where you ride half way over two days (40+40 mi), spend night camped in vicinity of trail mile 40 at campsite - no lodging nearby, thus loaded/camping required.

4. Variation of 1, where you ride either 25+55 mi or 55+25 mi over two days, lodging available at Marlinton or Renick, respectively.

5. Variation of 2, where you ride 3 days/2 night trip (55+50+55 mi). Starting from NE trail end, you'd reach Renick, WV in 55 mi, where several motels offer rooms at >$70/night, located 2-3 mi from the Greenbrier Trail over public roads. This would leave 50 mi to SW trail end and back to Renick for Day 2, and 55 mi return to NE trail end for Day 3.

According to map trailside potable water locations (5) are somewhat limited, so you may want to carry extra water or filter/pills for water treatment along the route (definitely needed if camping/cooking). Don't forget insect repellent, often critical when following waterways.
Old 04-02-18, 02:59 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by indyfabz
According to the ACA map, some of the public, trail-side campgrounds have water. Some do not. However, I haven't checked the map addenda.

If they are there, I never saw them, don't remember seeing them or they are far and few between. What I do remember is the lack of water immediately near the trail. Perhaps the pumps were hidden down in the campsite somewhere?
Old 04-05-18, 06:38 AM
mdadams1

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Thank you to everyone for your input.