Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Do you ever confront bad drivers?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Do you ever confront bad drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-18, 12:49 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
It works extremely well. Motorist think they are anonymous to us, once they learn they are not, they quickly learn to behave.
I'd love to see how far your attitude gets you in China!

Please post a video.

Here is an example of what could happen here.
Old 05-28-18, 02:38 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
I never try to lecture anyone on the roadway. I either point at the cycling sign or simply say "read the handbook!"
Originally Posted by FBOATSB
"Coaching" drivers at stop lights is usually taken as "road rage" by many.
Even if I use my mellifluous announcer's voice?
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
I despise motorists using their horns like that! In our rural area right now there are plenty of farm equipment that rolls about as fast as a cyclist, yet no one would dare blast the horn like that.

The other day I had some older fat guy on a Harley bagger scream out "Use the sidewalk!" at me on a four lane divided road (kind of a boulevard) where the speed limit is 35. I was doing 28. The lane I was in ended in a 1/16th of a mile, where then my lane was required to merge left at an intersection with stoplights. There was no road to the right at the intersection. I was in the far right position, and the sucker passed by in the left tire track close to the line between lanes.

I was hoping to catch him at the light and squirt him with my water bottle but thankfully he was always a few blocks ahead.
What good would that have done?
Old 05-28-18, 07:27 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by jack k
I never said I did any of that bud, that was you (second time I've quoted this):

Since you mentioned reading up on the law (this is for HI):

HRS § 711-1106.5 Harassment by stalking. (2009)
(1) A person commits the offense of harassment by stalking if, with intent to harass, annoy, or alarm another person, or in reckless disregard of the risk thereof, that person engages in a course of conduct involving pursuit, surveillance, or non-consensual contact upon the other person on more than one occasion without legitimate purpose.

Can you connect the dots? You're the one who does this; not sure how you are conflating your posts with mine. I'm sure you're generally a good person as most are, but even good people do dumb things. Do yourself a favor and just let the small stuff go.
What he described doesn't remotely rise to the level of stalking as defined by law. Drop it and move on.
Old 05-28-18, 12:46 PM
salcedo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Trek CrossRip

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Yes, I do sometimes. I've learned that people don't like to be told they've done something wrong. So to convey my point, I try to remove anger from my voice. I phrase my criticism as a request. For example, I might say, "Could you please wait behind me before making your turn rather than cutting me off?" It's only possible to do this kind of thing when we are both stopped, so if the driver is moving, I don't bother trying.

Then again, I did yell at a taxi driver recently, because the problem was urgent. He was passing me closely and getting closer. He was right beside me with his window open, so I yelled, "Not so close, please, not so close!" and he did veer away. Again, this was phrased as a request.
That sounds like a very smart thing to do
Old 05-28-18, 12:57 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Squirting a water bottle
What good would that have done?
Pretty sure nothing good!! Glad I didn't do it.
Old 05-28-18, 09:01 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by SHBR
I'd love to see how far your attitude gets you in China!

Please post a video.

Here is an example of what could happen here.
You really want to compare my response to someone throwing a rock. What a ridiculous comparison.
Old 05-29-18, 04:02 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Originally Posted by CB HI
You really want to compare my response to someone throwing a rock. What a ridiculous comparison.
Be careful what you wish for.

You just might get it.
Old 05-29-18, 05:15 AM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Just an oberservation-
I like others on here don’t believe engaging a car or truck driver is worth it. They are driving a minimum of a 2000 lb “weapon” which in the heat of road rage is not to my advantage riding a 20lb bicycle. My former career taught me you never know who you are encountering and what is going on in that persons mind.
So I let it roll off my shoulders, not engage a driver and focus on enjoying the rest of the ride.
Attempting to be the “bike police” is just not my interest as much as enjoying the ride.
Old 05-29-18, 06:15 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
An large woman wanted to lecture me yesterday when I rolled through a stop sign. My rolling through was of no consequence to her but she felt compelled to let me know. Funny, because I saw her come out of a parking lot exit without stopping, cutting off the car behind. I was so taken aback at the moment that I was at a loss for words. I decided to not engage her and just rolled up to the light beyond earshot. For the rest of the ride home I was berating myself for not engaging, but having had some time to think about it I I am glad I did not. I am sure, knowing how I am when provoked, I would have said some very hurtful things to her, and probably have brought her weight into it. And then afterwards would have felt crap about it.
Old 05-29-18, 01:10 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
in my mind yes
Old 05-29-18, 02:01 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
in my mind yes
Yes, sometimes I curse people out in a muttering tone of voice. Sometimes it's sufficient to calm myself down.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-29-18, 06:46 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Be careful what you wish for.

You just might get it.
Be careful of your lack of reading comprehension.
Old 05-29-18, 06:54 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by Patriot1
Just an oberservation-
I like others on here don’t believe engaging a car or truck driver is worth it. They are driving a minimum of a 2000 lb “weapon” which in the heat of road rage is not to my advantage riding a 20lb bicycle. My former career taught me you never know who you are encountering and what is going on in that persons mind.
So I let it roll off my shoulders, not engage a driver and focus on enjoying the rest of the ride.
Attempting to be the “bike police” is just not my interest as much as enjoying the ride.
One of the great things about cycling, for most of us, even when we confront dangerous motorist, two minutes after continuing our ride, we have forgotten about it. The motorist on the other hand, is annoyed the entire rest of the day.
Old 06-13-18, 01:56 PM
nayr497

Bikes: How'd I get this many?

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
YES! While I've tried to calm down and be mindful in most areas of my life as I've gotten older, when a reckless driver threatens my life, I'll let them know very clearly and very loudly that I am not happy with their behavior. I'm not talking about accidental encroachment or something, I'm talking about either a) driving lawlessly and putting me at risk b) purposefully endangering me.

This morning on my commute to work was an Option B. Minding my own business pedaling along on what SHOULD be a quiet side street in a neighborhood. However, instead of staying straight for two more blocks, which would mean two more lights, motorists have chosen to use this 'hood as a cut through to get to the freeway. Since they think they're getting ahead and cutting corners, they DO cut the turn corner and then drive excessively fast down a narrow street with cars parked on each side, children, families, etc.

This morning a car was coming the other way. A home owner on the other/the driver's side of the road opened their door. Motorist saw this and moved over, coming completely into my half of the road. I have no interest in getting doored, so was riding far enough left to not be. Motorist got angry I was in the road period and really angry that I would not yielding to him as he a) exceeded the speed limit b) drove on my side of the road. He even veered towards me for a few seconds, as if threatening my life was going to encourage me to not safely use the road I'm allowed to use. I could see him through the windshield waving his arms and screaming at me. He then started honking.

I very clearly let him know what he could do with himself. He proceeded to start backing his car up. I turned, saw this, looped around and stopped. He then got out of his car and stood screaming and yelling in the middle of the road. I emphatically let him know what I thought of his lawless driving and what he could do with himself. It felt awesome, I love giving the vocal cords some exercise early in the morning.

I don't try to find confrontation, but if someone is going to drive towards me, I'm going to vehemently let them know I don't appreciate that S*. I have ZERO tolerance for someone behind the wheel who feels their privilege to the road outranks that of other users. And I really have no tolerance for a motorist steering their deadly machine at me, to make some point or just to scare me. That guy can go F himself.

So yeah, if someone actually goes out of their way to try and threaten me with their vehicle, I'll confront them every single time. I rode the rest of the way with a big darn smile. Since I'm normally a courteous, polite person, it feels really, really good to let it fly with a total jerk. Probably not gonna change his behavior, but I doubt asking him nicely to not drive his car at me on purpose would do anything either.

*I've had people go bonkers before, so I'm careful when and where I engage drivers, including making sure I'm not cornered or isolated. Would never do this if I was out in the middle of nowhere on a weekend ride. Too many hillbillies with guns around here. Sure, I could get shot in the downtown area, but I think it's much less likely to happen in a neighborhood with people moving about.
Old 06-13-18, 08:43 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by nayr497
This morning a car was coming the other way. A home owner on the other/the driver's side of the road opened their door. Motorist saw this and moved over, coming completely into my half of the road. I have no interest in getting doored, so was riding far enough left to not be. Motorist got angry I was in the road period and really angry that I would not yielding to him as he a) exceeded the speed limit b) drove on my side of the road. He even veered towards me for a few seconds, as if threatening my life was going to encourage me to not safely use the road I'm allowed to use.
^^^ My favorite part. Good for you for standing your ground and not yielding to him. I would have done the same.
Old 06-13-18, 11:03 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

These are the motorists we share the roads with.

Old 06-14-18, 08:09 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10151 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Amazing video. I would have wanted to be ahead of that CF.

This a.m. a coworker eased into the lane I was trying to hold 50' before the right turn into the campus gate and cut me off. He then stopped dutifully at a stop-signed crosswalk, restarted like an frikkin' automaton, and nearly killed the elderly lady crossing a foot in front of his car. I let him have it with both tiny barrels and did my outraged weenie dance. Made me feel... I dunno how I feel.
Old 06-14-18, 10:00 AM
KraneXL

These are the motorists we share the roads with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7s84cxADY0
I've always wondered what goes through these people's minds? The reality that they're driving around on the road is frightening.
Old 06-14-18, 01:30 PM
Agent Cooper

Bikes: '04 Cannondale T800, '00 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
It's hard to refrain from reacting when some idiot almost kills you, especially while that adrenaline is flowing. We're all human.

I've found that it helps me to take a second before I go off on a ride and mentally accept the fact that somebody may cut me off or pass me too closely today. I try to visualize it happening before hand so I don't react stupidly to it when it happens (which fortunately has been pretty rare.) and remind myself not to take it personally, just maneuver around the danger and ride on.

Experience riding in traffic helps greatly with this. As with any other endeavor, the more you do it the better you get at it.
Old 06-14-18, 06:00 PM
KraneXL

I apply a similar exercise I recall from driving school -- drive defensively. While cycling that would be "ride defensively" of course, but that's generally to say always give yourself a way out.

In many cases I can detect a poor driver just by their approach (i.e., someone that sits behind your even when there is sufficient room and opportunity to pass). In those cases, I'm primed to take whatever actions I feel necessary to stay safe.
Old 06-15-18, 01:38 PM
nayr497

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^^Defensively aggressive! Yep, me too.

Right on, I always expect drivers to do the wrong/unlawful thing so that I'm ready in advance.
Old 06-15-18, 01:43 PM
nayr497

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
^^^ My favorite part. Good for you for standing your ground and not yielding to him. I would have done the same.
Like I wrote, at this point in my life, I've had plenty of confrontations while cycling (and in contact sports, etc.), so I generally try to avoid them. But yep, if you're going to drive your car at me and then get out and try to give me advice...I'm gonna let you have it big time and I ain't gonna be nice about it.
Old 06-15-18, 06:48 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
I did the other day and I don't think it was worth it. I felt a little bit better after yelling at him but he could have done a lot of damage with his SUV. But yeah, I think a lot of drivers don't think bikes should be on the road or are somehow second class users compared to vehicles. I'd support efforts for more driver education but me yelling at them after they've nearly run me over isn't something I can pull off. ymmv of course.
Old 06-18-18, 12:06 PM
vinfix
Steel80's

Bikes: Breezer Venturi, Breezer Lightning Pro, Schwinn Peloton

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
It's very tempting, impulsive, to confront drivers, flip them off, yell, etc. But I have to remind myself it's not worth it- and who wants to be Dead Right? All too often on Facebook feeds I see how much the general public despises road cyclists. I've had close calls, even intentionally brushed with a pickups mirror. But a cyclist can't win an argument with 2 tons of steel.
And it can be worse than that. A friend's longtime friend was the just the victim of a road rage incident (driving, not cycling). The psycho followed her, shot her and 2 of her 3 children, killing one of them. Horrifying.
Old 06-18-18, 04:31 PM
KraneXL

Just first make sure you're not in a position of vulnerability, should the temptation to respond becomes to great.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.