Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Twitchy handlebars

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Twitchy handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-18, 10:39 AM
Raleigh74

Bikes: '74 Raleigh Professional, '73 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Nishiki Medalist, '85 Gazelle Champion Mondial AB, '81 Peugeot Course, '79 Univega Gran Rally, '85 Torpado Super Strada

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Twitchy handlebars

I’m 6’1 34” inseam. My 58 cm bike is set up where I feel comfortable on long rides, but I’m still getting some handlebar back and forth twitch while switching gear (downtube friction) or shifting hand positions.

It’s telling me something isn’t balanced. Would a longer stem and lowering the bars, or the reverse of that help make things rock solid?

Seat is set back almost to max, seat to bar drop is maybe 5-6 cm. I haven’t measured it since I last adjusted

Last edited by Raleigh74; 07-28-18 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-29-18, 03:13 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
What bike? Is this bike new to you? It sounds like bike geometry is the issue, not fit. Some bikes are twitchy by design.
Old 07-30-18, 06:29 AM
Raleigh74

Bikes: '74 Raleigh Professional, '73 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Nishiki Medalist, '85 Gazelle Champion Mondial AB, '81 Peugeot Course, '79 Univega Gran Rally, '85 Torpado Super Strada

philbob57 , 07-29-18 05:13 PM
What bike? Is this bike new to you? It sounds like bike geometry is the issue, not fit. Some bikes are twitchy by design.
The bike is a 1983 Nishiki Olympic 12, and yes it is new to me. I’m new to a more aggressive writing position as well, so maybe I’m still adjusting to that?

Recent saddle height, fore/aft, and bar height adjustments have made a huge improvement so far.
Old 07-30-18, 07:08 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by Raleigh74

The bike is a 1983 Nishiki Olympic 12, and yes it is new to me. I’m new to a more aggressive writing position as well, so maybe I’m still adjusting to that?

Recent saddle height, fore/aft, and bar height adjustments have made a huge improvement so far.
I have a 1984 Nishiki International whose front wheel starts to oscillate if I ride no-handed leaning back on the seat. But not leaning forward. I have been through multiple tires and truings, But your situation sounds a lot more severe as I can shift and change hand positions without twitch.

I would check the wheels, both, for straightness (truing). Also, check to see the wheels are in alignment. Before getting lower gears fitted I would have to ride out of the saddle more on hills, and all that mashing would shift the front of the rear wheel to the non-drive side, which seemed to aggravate the twitching.

Also I had a broken rear axel for a few years before the gear change last spring. You would think I'd notice, but it worked okay. The result was that the wheel would go out of alignment a little more often. Now it stays in alignment better, but even when all it aligned and trued, there is still a little twitch when riding no-handed, but not as bad as when the rear wheel would shift out of alignment under heavy mashing.

One last thing...I am not a bicycle mechanic by a long shot, but is the frame or fork out of alignment or slightly bent? My International has a light, thin steel frame which makes it very flexible, which makes it a fantastically comfortable ride, but I sometimes wonder about it bending from road shocks or worse.
Old 07-30-18, 10:51 AM
Raleigh74

​​​​​
I would check the wheels, both, for straightness (truing). Also, check to see the wheels are in alignment. Before getting lower gears fitted I would have to ride out of the saddle more on hills, and all that mashing would shift the front of the rear wheel to the non-drive side, which seemed to aggravate the twitching.
Good ideas, maybe it is something as simple as the wheel being out of true.

I’m thinking it may be magnified by my stance on the bike. I’m still trying to dial everything in, so maybe it’s operator error.

58cm, although within my range for hieght/inseam is on the low end. So maybe I’m fighting with too small a frame?

Old 07-30-18, 11:36 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Lightbulb

skill not parts ?... grab the bar near the stem,
when you take your other hand off the bars, to reach down to the downtube shift lever ..

and you won't shake the bars as much as you do now ..

consider bar end shifting levers, then you keep both hands on the handlebars,
that is what I did, 30 years ago..