Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Should be the right size, but doesn't seem to be?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-18, 02:30 PM
wrighthere

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I have just bought a secondhand road bike (its actually as new) and looking at the the size guide it should be 100% correct, however it seems a bit big? The main problem is the reach! It just feels like i am stretching a bit.

The seat tube is 51.5 cm and i am 5" 8 with an inside leg of about 31 cm so again all sounds correct.

Do you think i could just shorten the stem?

What do you all think?

Cheers

Last edited by wrighthere; 07-29-18 at 02:31 PM. Reason: wrong spelling
Old 07-29-18, 02:53 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
You didn't mention the effective top tube length, or the stem length.

You could shorten the stem. However, if this is your first road bike, it may take some time to get used to the new riding position. So, I'd probably keep it as-is for a few weeks until you've had a chance to get used to the new bike.
Old 07-30-18, 05:27 AM
wrighthere

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The effective top from is 53/54cm so again, all about the right size for me. The last road bike i had was an old ridge-back with quill stem etc... so the reach would always be shorter on that.

I just feel i am over stretching and doesn't feel like a comfortable position that's all.

Do you think lowering the handlebars may help? There are a few spacers in there at the moment!?