Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Wrong Side Of the Path

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Wrong Side Of the Path

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-18, 05:19 PM
Fargo Wolf
Resident smartass.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wrong Side Of the Path

So, I was out for a ride this afternoon because it was actually a decent day out. Just before crossing one of the major bridges in town where I live, I was on an MUP. I saw the guy coming the other way on the wrong side of the path, so I started moving closer to the right side of the path. He matched me move for move. We ended up colliding more or less head on. He was like :" WTF? What the Hell's wrong with you." I never said anything, because what could I have said? He got back on his bike with a few "F-Bomb you" uttered as he rode away. I continued on my way, after fixing my mirror, while debating whether or not to make a report to police, but decided not to, given that it wouldn't be a priority. I've posted a Google Streetveiw of the path below. The pathway is bi-directional, with a standard center line. There's no reason he should have been on the side of the path that he was.

This is the second time this year that this has happened to me. The first time was on the bridge and only a near miss.

Aprox location :https://goo.gl/maps/PX7xPriHSGu
Old 11-27-18, 06:17 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Misplaced Britisher who forgot which country he was in, perhaps?
Old 11-27-18, 08:35 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
You saw him made some moves and yet you still collided? WTF, how can that happen? All you had to do was put the I’m in the right ego aside, stop pull off and let him go by. I would say you are just as wrong as him.
As for him on the wrong side, maybe he was taught to ride on the wrong side of the road as some do?
Old 11-27-18, 09:45 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach
You saw him made some moves and yet you still collided? WTF, how can that happen? All you had to do was put the I’m in the right ego aside, stop pull off and let him go by. I would say you are just as wrong as him.
As for him on the wrong side, maybe he was taught to ride on the wrong side of the road as some do?
Yeah, probably one of those that I encounter almost daily riding in the bike path on the left side of the road. Sometimes I'll hear a "Sorry"... indicating they know people generally ride to the right.

I haven't encountered a wrongway cyclist on a MUP. But, on the road, I'll generally glance back a few times, then pull left onto the road, or watch what the wrong-way cyclist does, and go in the opposite direction they move.

Most of our local MUPS have no center line, or only have a center line around corners. People work it out.
Old 11-27-18, 10:20 PM
detroitjim

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 48 Posts
As you two closed the gap between each other you should of yelled out a forceful "Heads up". Then given him a proper throttling had you collided.

I needed to do this a few times this year with morons on their cell phones. Fortunately avoided any collisions.
Old 11-28-18, 04:47 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
When you're walking and might end up doing the pedestrian dance, just make a full stop and let the other decide how to go around you.

Same for cycling if it doesn't look as if one is making a definite move to avoid you.
Old 11-28-18, 05:40 AM
jasnooks

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While walking, riding a bike, driving a car, etc, I try to avoid collisions.
Old 11-28-18, 06:29 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7650 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
LOL. The OP was so much more evolved that he ... caused an avoidable collision?

Bravo. You know, if verbal alerts are unsuccessful, one could merely turn perpendicular to the path of travel and block both lanes, forcing the other rider to stop, so that you could explain the situation. I usually fade left, then make room by moving back right ... unless i think the oncoming rider doesn't look to o stable , in which case i will go into the traffic lane or onto the grass, because I know I can handle a bike, and wouldn't want to push a person off the road who might be less able.

That, coupled with a loud but friendly "You are riding wrong side of the road" seems sufficient.

In this case ... the OP seemed to say, "I will see your bet of ignorance and move all-in with total stupid."

The OP deliberately rode into another cyclist ... and seems aggrieved that the cyclist cursed him? BF is smiling upon me today .... this kind of humor is rare in real life.
Old 11-28-18, 06:58 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf
So, I was out for a ride this afternoon because it was actually a decent day out. Just before crossing one of the major bridges in town where I live, I was on an MUP. I saw the guy coming the other way on the wrong side of the path, so I started moving closer to the right side of the path. He matched me move for move. We ended up colliding more or less head on.
Similar happened to me one time when I was a kid. Collided with an older kid on the sidewalk. We matched each other move for move. Weird how that can sometimes happen. Technically I stopped in time, but his rim brakes weren't up to the task and we had a low-speed collision.
Old 11-28-18, 07:13 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf
So, I was out for a ride this afternoon because it was actually a decent day out. Just before crossing one of the major bridges in town where I live, I was on an MUP. I saw the guy coming the other way on the wrong side of the path, so I started moving closer to the right side of the path. He matched me move for move. We ended up colliding more or less head on. He was like :" WTF? What the Hell's wrong with you." I never said anything, because what could I have said? He got back on his bike with a few "F-Bomb you" uttered as he rode away. I continued on my way, after fixing my mirror, while debating whether or not to make a report to police, but decided not to, given that it wouldn't be a priority. I've posted a Google Streetveiw of the path below. The pathway is bi-directional, with a standard center line. There's no reason he should have been on the side of the path that he was.

This is the second time this year that this has happened to me. The first time was on the bridge and only a near miss.

Aprox location :https://goo.gl/maps/PX7xPriHSGu
If it looks like it will happen again, just stop in the correct lane position. Stop early so he has plenty of time to react. If he gets close, and it is not clear if he will hit you, scream as loud as you can. I like to yell " heads up" if someone still does not get it soon enough, I yell "wake up". Not good, some people may get mad. But I don't care, it's better than a collision.
Old 11-28-18, 07:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
LOL. The OP was so much more evolved that he ... caused an avoidable collision?

Bravo. You know, if verbal alerts are unsuccessful, one could merely turn perpendicular to the path of travel and block both lanes, forcing the other rider to stop, so that you could explain the situation. I usually fade left, then make room by moving back right ... unless i think the oncoming rider doesn't look to o stable , in which case i will go into the traffic lane or onto the grass, because I know I can handle a bike, and wouldn't want to push a person off the road who might be less able.

That, coupled with a loud but friendly "You are riding wrong side of the road" seems sufficient.

In this case ... the OP seemed to say, "I will see your bet of ignorance and move all-in with total stupid."

The OP deliberately rode into another cyclist ... and seems aggrieved that the cyclist cursed him? BF is smiling upon me today .... this kind of humor is rare in real life.

Well, the nice part about second-guessing someone is you can never be proved wrong. You weren't there, you have no way of knowing that the alternatives you propose would have had a better outcome. I don't know whether this guy would have insisted on plowing into OP if he stopped on the path, for example, or if going off onto the grass was a viable option where the OP was (looks like an inward slope directly next to the path in the photo that might make that maneuver tricky). If I were in the OP's situation, I would hope that I'd have the ability to tell the guy to go to his right (I have done so in similar situations), but sometimes these things happen a bit faster than you have to express words.
Old 11-28-18, 08:19 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Ah, a salmon.

I've been hit by one too.
His explanation: "I take corners so fast I have to cut across to the other side."
At the moment of impact, I had pulled over and had a foot down. I guess it helped some.

When in doubt, slow down.
When in considerable doubt, stop.
Hitting someone stationary tends to be difficult to blame entirely on someone else.
Sure, accidents do happen, but if you had time for that mutual jockeying for position, it does sound like it would have been avoidable.
Old 11-28-18, 09:44 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
How far in advance did you initiate your avoidance maneuver? I can't imagine that he reacted your your move in order to target you. More than likely, you both maneuvered at the same time.
Old 11-28-18, 11:55 AM
italktocats

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
heheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheh

two idiots meet
Old 11-28-18, 11:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I love how these threads always degenerate into some grand inquisition with the goal of blaming the OP for the mishap.

Y'all weren't there, and there isn't a black box to minutely pick apart the details.
Oblivious guy wandering further and further into your lane is not a one-off problem--it's possible to discuss how you handle it without jumping to accuse the OP of doing it wrong.
Old 11-28-18, 12:36 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Twice this week I had a guy on an electric bike flying down the wooded MUP that i ride on the way home from work. We must get off work at the same time so we meet somewhere on this 3-mile long path. He has almost hit me head on twice now. We both have lights. I see him a long way off, but have no way to know it's him. He uses both lanes because there are lots of gentle curves and he is going too fast to stay on his side. Makes me want to run my light on flash, but it's too aggravating for me and every other trail user.

The point is: He could have taken me out TWICE now head-on. Sheet happens fast sometimes. It's pretty dark other than our lights, hard to judge his speed until too late.
Old 11-28-18, 01:32 PM
reishi

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Some people just love playing chicken. Perhaps an entitled assertive showing of their dominate ego. In cars. On bike. On foot. I get drivers doing it in cars all the time in my neighborhood. To the point I have to pull over almost completely into the shoulder/ravine/gutter and stop my car to avoid them heading on into me.

On my hybrid bicycle (giant escape) some years ago I Had a great encounter with a jogger on a dirt fire road . I'm cruising along on right hand side at 3 or 4 Mph in the Sandy rocky gravel path of about 16 feet wide. He's trotting along at 2 or 3 Mph. We see each other about 20 seconds before meeting. At this point the trail turn to heavier Sandy and craggy gravel with a small 1 foot shoulder that remains firm packed. I move over to my right and slow to 2mph. Inching along on what I judged to be the safest place for positioning myself for us to pass each other. He has 12feet wide of good pedestrian jogging road but as we get closer he also chooses this small shoulder (he's salmoning hard) aligning himself for a slow motion head on collision at 0.5mph. At this point we're making strong eye contact. I'm idling down my speed to an almost stand still. I think to myself surely with how slow I am going and far far over to the right I am surely he will side step around me being on foot - he has better traction and maneuverability than I do on a bike. He's super shredded wearing split shorts no shirt ..im thinking to myself he looks like he could handle a few steps on uneven road to keep us both cruising along on our merry ways. . But this did not happen and we collided into one another. He grabbed my handlebars and I put my feet down as we met. He's says whoa are you having a bad day? I keep my mouth shut and hop back on my bike and continue in my direction. . A learning lesson for me. Pedestrian privilege is rampant in some places. Probably some ego on my part but I reasoned in my head I was doing a safe and logical thing.. I quickly let it go and try to be more humble and accommodating in the future. My life may depend on it.

Don't ask me about the beach cruiser salmon ninjas. These people play chicken every day so they've become quite good at it. I could write a book on the so many encounters I've had with the oh so common fully-blacked-out-head-to- toe ninja black clothing and black bicycle commuters. In dark in daylight they're always there and you never know when they're going to strike. Stay aware. Your life may depend on it.

Last edited by reishi; 11-28-18 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-28-18, 03:05 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Hell, I've had this happen out in the open ocean, while swimming a 1/2 mile off shore... No lanes, no markers, no "path" to speak of, yet two, heads down swimmers making their way in and out of a cove... and blammo! You lock arms in a most painful way... crash heads and wonder... "where the hell did you come from... "

Now things are a bit different out there in open water... you generally are not looking ahead but occasionally, you tend to navigate by watching fixed points on land when you turn your head to breath... and even if you did look ahead, there is a good chance anyone else ahead, and low in the water, is obscured by the rise and fall of the ocean waves.

But still, in all that water... you really do not expect to encounter someone... yet... blammo! Oh if only there were a line or something...
Old 11-28-18, 06:19 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
I would have stopped, put my hand onto my bear spray canister and...
Old 11-28-18, 08:22 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts

was thinking about this post while running circles on the track this evening. I didn’t run into anyone. Too dang cold for anyone else to be out.
Old 11-29-18, 10:44 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Happens here a lot. Eastern Europeans, most of them. Once we're in shouting distance I call ''left!'' As obviously I can't shout ''You're in ****ing England now you thick ****!''
I always manage to avoid a collision, or they do as they get bush-whipped.
Old 11-30-18, 09:45 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
a salmon, great term

also love the "You're in England"!

get a super heavy steel bike, load it up and prepare for round 2
Old 11-30-18, 10:01 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Yeah, probably one of those that I encounter almost daily riding in the bike path on the left side of the road. Sometimes I'll hear a "Sorry"... indicating they know people generally ride to the right.

I haven't encountered a wrongway cyclist on a MUP. But, on the road, I'll generally glance back a few times, then pull left onto the road, or watch what the wrong-way cyclist does, and go in the opposite direction they move.
This ^^^^

I see a good number of people walking against traffic on MUPs, very few people biking on the wrong side of the MUP. Basically, the issue is that we teach people to walk against traffic on roads, but they think it applies to walking on MUPs or biking roads... and for the OP, biking against traffic on MUPs.

To the people throwing hate at the OP for the collision, really?!?! I've darted off trails to avoid these type of people, and with minor changes in conditions, I'd likely collided with the person riding the wrong way. It's like hating on a person getting into a collision with a wrong way driver on the road.
Old 11-30-18, 10:11 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I see a good number of people walking against traffic on MUPs, very few people biking on the wrong side of the MUP. Basically, the issue is that we teach people to walk against traffic on roads, but they think it applies to walking on MUPs or biking roads... and for the OP, biking against traffic on MUPs.
As far as pedestrians, I ride wherever they are not.

The argument for pedestrians on the right is it allows bicycles to match their pace until conditions allow safe passing.

The argument for pedestrians on the left is that they're facing whatever comes at them (except the wrong-way cyclists).

At night, pedestrians are often hard to spot.
Old 11-30-18, 10:36 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
As far as pedestrians, I ride wherever they are not.

The argument for pedestrians on the right is it allows bicycles to match their pace until conditions allow safe passing.

The argument for pedestrians on the left is that they're facing whatever comes at them (except the wrong-way cyclists).

At night, pedestrians are often hard to spot.
Minneapolis has posted signs on trails to reinforce all trail users should stay to the right... but some people can't read. Likewise, we have signed that faster trail-users should announce passes, that rarely happens.

While on my bike, the person on foot always has the right-of-way. Once in a while, they make it very difficult to yield the right of way, but I do it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.