Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

New York City Cycling -- CRAZY!!!

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 11-29-18, 01:54 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3770 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts

These videos on Youtube of cyclists and cycling in NYC do not put cyclists in a good light; it's also a little damning on NYC.

I'm a very good roadie and consider myself very adept at cycling on the roadways (with over 30-years of commuting via bike) and I even opt to cycle on roads in lieu of MUPs -- I actually like it; however, not sure how I'd like cycling in NYC

P.S. The title of the video should be: What NOT to do while Commuting on a Bike.

Old 11-29-18, 04:53 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
That green bike lane is a disaster. New Orleans just started experimenting with that curbside lane. I tried it once, people were walking in it even though the sidewalk was deserted. You can't make things foolproof because the fools are so clever!

The cop "about face" in the bike lane is exactly how I hit a drunk pedestrian about 10 years ago. "OH! I forgot my teeth back at the bar!" sudden, complete 180* turn with his back to me. And near the end of the video when that cycling woman cycled next to the tractor trailer turning left! Just watching the video I was screaming "NO NO NO!"

And don't get me started about cars stopping across the "crosswalk" for cyclists. That is just tradition around here.

I would ride in the street with the taxis. That green lane is just dumb.
Old 11-29-18, 08:42 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
You do understand that NYC has a mandatory bike lane law, right. And NYPD seems more than happy to write tickets to cyclist for not being in the bike lane or not having a bell.
Old 11-29-18, 09:56 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,450 Times in 1,429 Posts
Yeah, it's crazy here. I would like to make a video, but I don't have the equipment.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-29-18, 10:23 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Been bike commuting here in NYC for 10 years now; it's not too bad.
Not as nice as Holland; a bit better than Manila.
Old 11-29-18, 10:28 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Life in the big city. An entirely different 'normal' than applies to most places,
Old 11-30-18, 10:49 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by jon c.
Life in the big city. An entirely different 'normal' than applies to most places,
And yet, because motor vehicle speeds are lower, you might be safer here from injury and death than in the suburbs or rural areas.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 11-30-18, 08:11 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Yeah, it's crazy here. I would like to make a video, but I don't have the equipment.
I'd be happy to lend you a Shimano sport cam/mount. Just post it back when you're done using it--I'm not using it at the moment.
Old 11-30-18, 08:21 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
When you have that many people walking around and that many cars in such a small space what do you expect? Having to dodge that many pedestrians would be such a nuisance.
Old 11-30-18, 09:57 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
And yet, because motor vehicle speeds are lower, you might be safer here from injury and death than in the suburbs or rural areas.
That was the impression I got while watching. It was like everything was happening in slow motion. Of course I have no idea what it's really like, and I'd probably have to improve my skills, but I'd ride.
Old 11-30-18, 10:22 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

It’s slow motion in the sense that speeds are low but since we’re all squooshed together, that doesn’t help the reaction times you need. If you’re rolling at 12 mph and someone steps in front of you five feet away, it’s a problem.
@wschruba, I’ll email you!

Old 11-30-18, 10:38 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by CB HI
You do understand that NYC has a mandatory bike lane law, right. And NYPD seems more than happy to write tickets to cyclist for not being in the bike lane or not having a bell.
Did not know that. We had what they called a "sidepath law" in Louisiana for a decade. Thankfully they ditched it, for obvious reasons in that OP video. Any cyclist with sense, and the ability to keep up with auto traffic, would avoid that green pavement at all costs.
Old 11-30-18, 10:43 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
When you have that many people walking around and that many cars in such a small space what do you expect? Having to dodge that many pedestrians would be such a nuisance.
I previously posted:
Originally Posted by C.Jester
...I’ve always felt safer riding in heavy traffic in town than out on the back roads. At least if I get hit in town, there are witnesses and someone to call 911
The weird thing is that traffic in NYC is aggressive, but I find it easier to survive than other places.

I'm not sure I'm ready to say NYC drivers are better than in other places, because it may simply be that I understand the dance and know how to do it .
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
As a social ballroom dancer with years of lessons, as well as urban commuter, may I say, "Well said."

There was thread once about rural vs urban cycling, and a concensus was that urban cycling was safer, because of the congestion and slower speeds. Even with heavy traffic, I know the patterns of traffic, the "dance steps," and can anticipate the car's movements.

Earlier on this thread, I wrote: An important aphorism I learned on BF is, "To know where a car is going, watch the front wheels, not the body or hood," though we don't watch our feet when we dance.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-30-18 at 10:48 PM. Reason: added quote by mcours2006
Old 12-01-18, 06:13 AM
work4bike

I would love to go up to NYC and just ride around to see what it's really like; maybe I'll do this on one of my cyclo-trips...I know I would go out into the road quite a bit in lieu of staying in the "green". According to the NYC bike laws that's an option -- I'd use that to the max... NYC DOT - Bike Smart

I know that's what I would have done in this situation (taken the middle lane) and not just because it's a Sharrow, I would have done it even in a "green lane".

Old 12-01-18, 07:23 AM
SprocketPeck

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I lived in New York for 5 years and I hated cycling there. I also had three bikes stolen. Once they unfastened the scaffolding I had locked up to.
Old 12-01-18, 07:52 AM
Tamiya

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
No need too, IMHO Casey Neisait does a better job that I ever would

​​​​​​​
Old 12-01-18, 08:56 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Casey Neistat lives in my neighborhood (or I live in his), but I haven't run into him yet. Very cool guy.

There is an increase in ridership going on. I've observed it increase over the years. I moved back into the city in 2013, and it was underway then, and I see it continue. I read that the fastest increasing demographic group is people 55 and over, and that's true. I see people in their 70s getting around on bikes, and I have to believe that not all of them have been doing it for a long time. They don't ride as brazenly as the people taking these videos, and they have somehow come to the conclusion that the hassle and danger are acceptable, so if they can do it, most everyone should consider it.

@work4bike, if you come, I'll make you brunch and give you a bike tour of the city. @SprocketPeck, what years were you here? It has gotten better in some ways, though the increased congestion makes it worse in at least one way, depending on the routes you take. Nearly every street has a bike lane or sharrows. Some of the bike lanes are good, and some are bad. It's best to do what's safe, not follow the law. NY State law requires using a bike lane or other facility where it exists, which is a very bad law, as Casey Neistat demonstrates. I hope it changes, and I think there is movement afoot to change it. Not all states have that requirement.

Old 12-01-18, 09:05 AM
SprocketPeck

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Casey Neistat lives in my neighborhood (or I live in his), but I haven't run into him yet. Very cool guy.

There is an increase in ridership going on. I've observed it increase over the years. I moved back into the city in 2013, and it was underway then, and I see it continue. I read that the fastest increasing demographic group is people 55 and over, and that's true. I see people in their 70s getting around on bikes, and I have to believe that not all of them have been doing it for a long time. They don't ride as brazenly as the people taking these videos, and they have somehow come to the conclusion that the hassle and danger are acceptable, so if they can do it, most everyone should consider it.

@work4bike, if you come, I'll make you brunch and give you a bike tour of the city. @SprocketPeck, what years were you here? It has gotten better in some ways, though the increased congestion makes it worse in at least one way, depending on the routes you take. Nearly every street has a bike lane or sharrows. Some of the bike lanes are good, and some are bad. It's best to do what's safe, not follow the law. NY State law requires using a bike lane or other facility where it exists, which is a very bad law, as Casey Neistat demonstrates. I hope it changes, and I think there is movement afoot to change it. Not all states have that requirement.
I just left the city a year ago. My blood was just too jumpy to commute everyday. I would see people get hit (and of course berate the driver with gusto) very often, and i would think whens my number gonna be up.that being said cycling anywhere presents a certain degree of risk.
Old 12-01-18, 09:36 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by SprocketPeck
I just left the city a year ago. My blood was just too jumpy to commute everyday. I would see people get hit (and of course berate the driver with gusto) very often, and i would think whens my number gonna be up.that being said cycling anywhere presents a certain degree of risk.
How do you commute now? It's driving that gets on my nerves. The city is worse than the suburbs, but I didn't like it in the suburbs, either, when I lived there. And it's arguably dangerouser than cycling.

Old 12-01-18, 10:53 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by SprocketPeck
Sorry you had to leave. I know that seems like the best option at times - trust me I get it. I hope you found some place you like better!
Old 12-01-18, 08:43 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Did not know that. We had what they called a "sidepath law" in Louisiana for a decade. Thankfully they ditched it, for obvious reasons in that OP video. Any cyclist with sense, and the ability to keep up with auto traffic, would avoid that green pavement at all costs.
As examples:
One video I cannot find now, of NYPD parked blocking bike lane and giving bike lane tickets to cyclist who ride around his car.
Old 12-02-18, 06:21 AM
work4bike

Wow, so much hatred and discontent in NYC. Doesn't NYC have a cycling support group? Seems they need to challenge these unlawful tickets, since NYC ordinance give clear right to leave bike lane when unsafe.

NYC DOT - Bike Smart

Excerpt:
  • Use marked bike lanes or paths when available, except when making turns or when it is unsafe to do so. If the road is too narrow for a bicycle and a car to travel safely side by side, you have the right to ride in the middle of the travel lane. Bicycling is permitted on all main and local streets throughout the City, even when no designated route exists.
Old 12-02-18, 09:51 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Wow. NYC needs more murders. Cops in NOLA already have their hands full with real work. Bike lane traps would not occur to them, nor would they have the time.
Old 12-02-18, 01:54 PM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
The bike lanes are not that bad! They are bad if you intend to ride above 10 mph! I use them for kick scooting with my Xootr and very rarely have issues because I'm slow. The person in the YouTube video makes it look far worse because that's his intention! He purposely rode fast in the bike lane with people all around the sidewalk to create controversy and get more hits to his video. More views means more money. It's actually very safe if you are slow and you're not making a YouTube video for profit.
Old 12-02-18, 03:12 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
The bike lanes are not that bad! They are bad if you intend to ride above 10 mph! I use them for kick scooting with my Xootr and very rarely have issues because I'm slow. The person in the YouTube video makes it look far worse because that's his intention! He purposely rode fast in the bike lane with people all around the sidewalk to create controversy and get more hits to his video. More views means more money. It's actually very safe if you are slow and you're not making a YouTube video for profit.
Yeah, that's a good point. But how much better would those lanes be without pedestrians using them a sidewalk extensions?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.