Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

New York City Cycling -- CRAZY!!!

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

New York City Cycling -- CRAZY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-19, 08:11 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked 1,042 Times in 789 Posts
I just saw this in my email box. I'm not sure how accurate Whoopi's claims are; however, I did find it interesting when she seemed to think that the fact that traffic fatalities were down wasn't worth any amount of congestion/inconvenience issues (~6:55 time).

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a2593...paign=15747037
Old 01-20-19, 08:24 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts

Rode a Citi Bike this past Monday, took photos of the 6th Ave Bike Lane.
Old 01-20-19, 08:26 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

6th Ave.
Old 01-21-19, 08:59 AM
flyjimmy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Speaking of rude, I learned when I was a kid that it's rude to insult someone's home. Then I learned that some people make an exception to that rule when talking about New York. It doesn't make any sense to me. It's just something I've observed.

I would tell you about how truly rude behavior here isn't that common, but might not believe me.
As an ex New Yorker I totally agree as this was very often my experience. Now as a family guy in New Jersey I find that NJ is also an exception to that rule oddly enough usually broken by New Yorkers.
Old 01-21-19, 09:59 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,433 Posts
@flyjimmy, quite right! My father made New Jersey jokes even when I lived there. I lived there for 26 years and learned the good and the bad of it, which non-New Jerseyans don't really know. It was a good place for me for all that time.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-21-19, 01:55 PM
flyjimmy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
@flyjimmy, quite right! My father made New Jersey jokes even when I lived there. I lived there for 26 years and learned the good and the bad of it, which non-New Jerseyans don't really know. It was a good place for me for all that time.
I gotta say after moving to NJ I find it’s much nicer then the turnpike I was always familiar with. I still miss NYC but Jersey has lots of great towns for kids.

A coworker of mine always said “Jersey has “everything. Not the best of anything but still everything”

Last edited by flyjimmy; 01-21-19 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-21-19, 10:22 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Yup!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 01-27-19, 08:26 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
But shirley there must be some really nice hiker biker trails in and around NYC.
Old 01-27-19, 09:24 AM
hotbike

​​​​​​​Or , you could take a ride out on the Island:
https://www.tpl.org/our-work/long-island-extension-empire-state-trail?fbclid=IwAR2kPnOdoYp-cUbzim4uoXy0Q_CSrYN9GJn9K1v0zIKC1p7pDHVGHLN-Eoo#sm.0001s2u4cw7ljdosqv115h1n67kg8
Old 01-27-19, 09:25 AM
hotbike

Old 01-27-19, 11:47 AM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
But shirley there must be some really nice hiker biker trails in and around NYC.
Starting at Van Cortland park in the Bronx;
South County trail to the North County trail:

Van Cortland Park, da Bronx by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Old 01-27-19, 12:06 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by flyjimmy

I gotta say after moving to NJ I find it’s much nicer then the turnpike I was always familiar with. I still miss NYC but Jersey has lots of great towns for kids.

A coworker of mine always said “Jersey has “everything. Not the best of anything but still everything”
I loved NJ when I bike toured through there. Except the corridor of course, but I biked North to South and just had to endure crossing through that area. I really enjoyed the Pine Barrens. I like quiet and solitude. I also enjoyed the other extreme - beaches! I was in NJ just over a week and do not have one bad memory, no incidents, decent road surfaces and/or shoulders, plenty of support (food, drink, lodging) and really easy cycling. I exited via the Cape May ferry. The Garden State is OK by me!
Old 01-27-19, 01:02 PM
Ald1 

Bikes: Domane SLR 9 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.3 1978 Mercian

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
I loved NJ when I bike toured through there. Except the corridor of course, but I biked North to South and just had to endure crossing through that area. I really enjoyed the Pine Barrens. I like quiet and solitude. I also enjoyed the other extreme - beaches! I was in NJ just over a week and do not have one bad memory, no incidents, decent road surfaces and/or shoulders, plenty of support (food, drink, lodging) and really easy cycling. I exited via the Cape May ferry. The Garden State is OK by me!
Check out the 5 day Tour de Pines always in late summer. Heres a link to last years info. Tour de Pines Bicycle Tour, Pine Barrens Bike Trips - Pinelands Preservation Alliance / Believe this year is first week in October too. Fun, economical, beautiful riding and lots of options on rides. Ride as many days as you like. Supports a good cause too!
Old 01-27-19, 02:19 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Ald1
Check out the 5 day Tour de Pines always in late summer. Heres a link to last years info. Tour de Pines Bicycle Tour, Pine Barrens Bike Trips - Pinelands Preservation Alliance / Believe this year is first week in October too. Fun, economical, beautiful riding and lots of options on rides. Ride as many days as you like. Supports a good cause too!
Very cool! Thanks.
Old 01-28-19, 02:37 AM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I stay out of the bike lanes. I would rather be a PIT@#! 'taking the lane'. Than being dead meat. Courtesy of being treated like an afterthought.
Old 03-19-19, 05:40 PM
wilfried

Bikes: Brompton M3L, Tern Verge P20, Citi Bike

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
It's funny how some people like riding here in NYC. I grew up here, and I generally don't find it to be the nicest place to ride. Yet I know some people who make a trip into the city just to ride here. I also know people who live here (such as @ascherer and @wilfried) who are great at making adventurous routes within the city limits. I've gone with them sometimes, and I did have some great times, but all things being equal, I'd rather be on a country road, at least for a fun ride. Maybe I wouldn't like commuting on a country road. I don't know.

Suburban riding can be bad, depending on road design. Traffic can be dense, and people are impatient. I lived in New Jersey suburbs for 26 years.
Maybe I just don't know any better. Close to all of my riding has been in the city. I can't be bothered to take a train to go somewhere just to ride. 9W does nothing for me, and it's 10 miles just to get to the bridge. Pretty close to 100% of my transportation in town is by bike, and I also take 60+ mile joy rides. Lots of places to go, things to see. I've seen a whole lot more of the city now that I'm now on a bike, and on the street, rather than going into one hole in the ground, and emerging from a different one.

To an extent, it's what you know. When I go elsewhere, I sometimes feel a little nervous. Traffic may be lighter, but it moves a lot faster. People behave differently, and I'm not entirely clear on the rules. For instance, I'm happy to take the lane most places in the city, but then I can generally go pretty close to the speed of traffic (and very often go faster). If the streets are crowded, I can likely go faster than the cars. If traffic is light, I'm slower (but still in the ball park), but they have plenty of room to get around me. I don't know that I'd be comfortable taking the lane on a suburban arterial.

Riding in Ulster County is lovely. On the back roads, there's virtually no traffic, and the drivers are as polite as polite can be. But it can be a bit dull. You're mostly in the woods, which is pretty enough, but after a while, trees are trees. You do get a grand vista once in a while, though. But then, on a bike you get glorious views of the city that few other people see.

As far as bike lanes go, I don't need them, and sometimes avoid them, but I also ride them. I am however glad they're there; I want more people on bikes on the streets. I want space for people who aren't happy to mix it up with cars. Ridership goes up when they go in, and crash rates go down. I'm very happy to ride in them when it's raining, or there's a bit of snow on the ground. If I skid out, at least won't hit the ground right in front of a moving taxi.

As far as the ride in lane law goes, you must stay in the lane unless conditions are "unsafe" or you have a reason not to, like you're preparing to turn. So the law is actually really ambiguous. Do the cops actually know or understand the law, or care? Of course not. Yeah, the cops do completely moronic, pointless, and arbitrary ticket stings, but unless you get caught in one, they roundly ignore you. Unless you're unlucky, you can ride in the traffic lane, blow lights, etc. right in front of them, and they'll act like you you don't exist. Police bike enforcement is capricious, arbitrary, and utterly infuriating, but has little real impact on riding in the city, except to scapegoat people on bikes, while they are utterly unwilling to adequately enforce laws against the people who actually kill on the streets and make them unsafe, drivers.

Anyway, I figured I'd respond to a few things in this thread.
Old 03-20-19, 09:24 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Those are really good points, @wilfried. Maybe I will appreciate riding in NYC more now. We will see. Today I got a Citi Bike e-bike, and I thought to myself I could extend the ride just for fun. The bike is genuinely fun. But I didn't. I manage to deal with traffic handily, but I don't seek it out. There really are many adventures to be had in NYC. I should seek some out.

It's funny that I know a guy who lives in a Westchester suburb, and he comes in on weekends to ride in the streets. The only place I really like riding is the Hudson River Greenway when it isn't too crowded.

Old 03-20-19, 09:43 AM
wilfried

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Those are really good points, @wilfried. Maybe I will appreciate riding in NYC more now. We will see. Today I got a Citi Bike e-bike, and I thought to myself I could extend the ride just for fun. The bike is genuinely fun. But I didn't. I manage to deal with traffic handily, but I don't seek it out. There really are many adventures to be had in NYC. I should seek some out.

It's funny that I know a guy who lives in a Westchester suburb, and he comes in on weekends to ride in the streets. The only place I really like riding is the Hudson River Greenway when it isn't too crowded.
The bike share ebikes are cool, but I've also had less than fun rides. They take getting used to. There was especially stop and go commute, on which pedestrians were particularly clueless and drivers were exceptionally homicidal, and I was constantly afraid I was going to plow through a crosswalk full of pedestrians, or rear end an SUV that decided to cut me off.

It's not like I seek out traffic, but in the city it's not like you have much of a choice. So, I made the best of it, and learned to deal with it. It helps that for some reason I'm irrationally fearless. It would probably be sensible to be more afraid of traffic than I am.

Westchester has some great riding, but it also some nasty arterials that are almost impossible to avoid, and like I said, since I'm not used to them, I'm not sure how to handle them. So it's a mixed bag.
Old 03-20-19, 09:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

Can't speak to Manhattan, but I'd much rather ride in Boston than drive. From my experience, biking is generally faster within the city than cars, but slower than rural/suburban. There's also more social interaction in urban riding than in rural/suburban, and that has its good and bad points. Totally different experience, but if you're used to it, and not Strava-addicted, urban riding can be a blast.
Old 03-20-19, 10:54 AM
wilfried

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I agree, bike is very often the fastest, and pretty much always the most predictable way to get around town. The difference between a slow and fast commute is +-1 minute. I ride 10 miles up to Inwood more or less once a week, and 13 miles back down. The difference between a slow and an fast ride each way is probably about five minutes.

Back earlier on when I started riding in the city, after I got over the hump of learning to handle the streets, I would go out for joy rides if I got bored. On a good night (it was usually well after dark), I would have this transcendent feeling, like I was one with the road, and the city, even with traffic. I would dodge potholes and cars with complete calm and ease, like some kind of flow state. Now that riding a bike is old hat, I don't get that feeling so much anymore. Sounds sappy, but I miss that feeling.
Old 03-20-19, 11:27 AM
wilfried

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
The only place I really like riding is the Hudson River Greenway when it isn't too crowded.
I spend most of the year avoiding the Greenway, cause it's such a frigging madhouse. And all those barricades "protecting" us only made it worse. Heading up to Inwood, I have a nice route through the park, to St. Nicholas, and onto the path next to the Harlem River. It does require going up Madison, where only madness lies, to get to the park, but after that it's quite nice (well, you're in the land of double parked cars, yes, worse than elsewhere, but it's manageable). But then I'd have to go through Midtown to get to the Greenway, where drivers are equally sociopathic.
Old 03-20-19, 03:06 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by wilfried
On a good night (it was usually well after dark), I would have this transcendent feeling, like I was one with the road, and the city, even with traffic. I would dodge potholes and cars with complete calm and ease, like some kind of flow state. Now that riding a bike is old hat, I don't get that feeling so much anymore. Sounds sappy, but I miss that feeling.
Sounds like it's time for a new bike.

Seriously, good points, @livedarklions and @wilfried. City traffic has its pluses. And as you point out, predictability is best on a bike. I have been delayed by traffic, but it's unusual and never extreme as it is in a car. And yes, suburban arterial roads can be hell. And some suburbs don't even have alternatives, depending on how things are laid out. The older towns in NJ are better than the newer ones. The newer ones were designed with the idea that small residential streets should not lead anywhere, so there is no choice but to take an artery. This turns out not to be good even for motorists!

And yes, Madison Avenue is awful. I found out a couple of weeks ago. Next time I had to go up the east side, I took 1st Ave.

I should look at your rides and routes for inspiration.