Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

How do you feel about stop signs? [video]

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

How do you feel about stop signs? [video]

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-19, 09:27 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
I live in a rural area and cops don't care about a little rolling as long as right of way is observed. In the city, one might get ticketed around the university campus where there is more bad bicycle behavior and thus more enforcement. Otherwise, cops don't care as long as you're not doing anything that isn't safe. And I don't get the sense drivers care either. Drivers would care if I went through a sign when they had the row, but as long as row is obeyed everyone gets through the intersection faster if I keep rolling at least a bit. I would only be a few seconds slower if I come to an absolute stop, but those seconds have a psychological impact. In my experience, the vast majority of drivers have nothing against cyclists and only get annoyed if needlessly delayed.
Old 01-06-19, 12:29 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Do you use that as a defense when you're pulled over for a rolling stop? How well does it work out? Really Claude, you'll have to do better than that.
I'll let you know if/when it occurs; haven't had a stop sign pull over yet despite rolling them for over 65 years of cycling.

Claude?? Is that some sort of code or just the same old, same old snarky gibberish?
Old 01-06-19, 01:55 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Adults should Think, and not try to live according to random signs on the road side...I won't go if I have a green light and will die because I go...
I have posted similar forever here. The pretty lights aren't what kills people, unless the light pole falls on us. For every red light runner in a car causing an accident, there was a green light runner who didn't LOOK for the actual source of the danger. Good post.

The part of living in New Orleans and using the roads here is that locals all do the same "unsafe" things, so we all KNOW the deal. Every cyclist runs stop signs, so every motorist ASSUMES this and grant "right of way". It makes sense at a 4-way stop because the bike proceeds without stop, and the car does not have to wait for the bike to stop before they roll the stop sign. Everybody wins. At traffic signals, it is well know among locals that 1 to 3 cars are going through after the light turns red. Launching your car or bike into the cross street like a AA Fuel dragster the instant your light turns green will get you killed Day-1.

I know ^^this behavior would drive most people crazy. We don't care, the cops don't care. It's a beautiful thing.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 01-06-19 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-06-19, 02:29 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
In my view, talking about speeding is a better way of getting through to car drivers. Most car drivers probably think that they obey stop signs, so they won't believe it if they're told otherwise, or they'll write it off as a rare occurrence. On the other hand, speeding is undeniable, practically everybody does it, and they believe it's perfectly safe.

Now talk about enforcement. The threshold for enforcing the speed limit is higher than the speed limit itself. People don't regularly get tickets for speeding. Why should stop signs be any different for cyclists?

Both are matters of convenience. Drivers speed because they can. Cyclists roll stop signs because they can. They would break the speed limit if they could.
Old 01-06-19, 03:28 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Gresp15C
...Cyclists ... would break the speed limit if they could.
Old 01-06-19, 09:51 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I'll let you know if/when it occurs; haven't had a stop sign pull over yet despite rolling them for over 65 years of cycling.

Claude?? Is that some sort of code or just the same old, same old snarky gibberish?

Originally Posted by Gresp15C
In my view, talking about speeding is a better way of getting through to car drivers. Most car drivers probably think that they obey stop signs, so they won't believe it if they're told otherwise, or they'll write it off as a rare occurrence. On the other hand, speeding is undeniable, practically everybody does it, and they believe it's perfectly safe.

Now talk about enforcement. The threshold for enforcing the speed limit is higher than the speed limit itself. People don't regularly get tickets for speeding. Why should stop signs be any different for cyclists?

Both are matters of convenience. Drivers speed because they can. Cyclists roll stop signs because they can. They would break the speed limit if they could.
Not a good parallel. Cyclist don't come to a complete stop because its unnecessary in 9 out of 10 cases. For one, a cyclist doesn't occupy the space or have the size, and mass of an automobile. And unlike motorist cocooned inside a sound deadened shell, cyclist are "out in the open" and therefore, have an unobstructed view of his environment.

As for speed, unlike motorist protected by modern safety feature and a 2000 pound metal cage, cyclist have a vested interest in maintaining caution far beyond those of any legal constraints.
Old 01-09-19, 03:22 PM
reishi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Pretty much every driver I've ever approached at a 4 way stop seems to assume I'm going to ride right through without even slowing down or stopping for other drivers. Here Is where I like to proudly display my vehicular cycling skills and unclip. Stop. And give them the stare.. I understand they're usually just trying to be polite but their politeness could cause delays.. Misunderstandings and even my death. Sometimes I get annoyed by drivers who like to wave cyclists through anytime.. anywhere.. Just treat me like I'm in a car please that's all I ask. Keeps it safe and predictable.

Another good technique to avoid the 4 way stop standoffs is to slow way way down before I approach the stop - this let's all drivers approaching the stop sign to stop and go before I'm even close to rolling up to the stop. Keeps me back and out of their preoccupied overstimulated mind. I just want to make things as simple and straightforward as possible for drivers. They have enough to contend with on the road than adding on the stress of trying to guess what a crazy road cycling is going to do.
Old 01-09-19, 08:51 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by reishi
Pretty much every driver I've ever approached at a 4 way stop seems to assume I'm going to ride right through without even slowing down or stopping for other drivers. Here Is where I like to proudly display my vehicular cycling skills and unclip. Stop. And give them the stare.. I understand they're usually just trying to be polite but their politeness could cause delays.. Misunderstandings and even my death. Sometimes I get annoyed by drivers who like to wave cyclists through anytime.. anywhere.. Just treat me like I'm in a car please that's all I ask. Keeps it safe and predictable.
They think they're being polite but all is really does is create confusion. Always follow the law. No assumptions necessary.

Another good technique to avoid the 4 way stop standoffs is to slow way way down before I approach the stop - this let's all drivers approaching the stop sign to stop and go before I'm even close to rolling up to the stop. Keeps me back and out of their preoccupied overstimulated mind. I just want to make things as simple and straightforward as possible for drivers. They have enough to contend with on the road than adding on the stress of trying to guess what a crazy road cycling is going to do.
I dismount. That's a pretty reliable symbol that I intend to come to a complete stop.
Old 01-10-19, 03:17 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
I have posted similar forever here. The pretty lights aren't what kills people, unless the light pole falls on us.
I have used that exact line. That has me worried.
Originally Posted by reishi
Originally Posted by KraneXL
I dismount. That's a pretty reliable symbol that I intend to come to a complete stop.
If there is Any question about who should go, I dismount. Butt off the seat, both feet flat—of course, I realize that none of the drivers might actually be paying attention but if they are it is pretty unmistakable as to meaning.
Normally I slow in advance to let the car get o the stop line first—I’d rather have a car in front of me than behind me or turning into me. If that doesn’t work, I’d rather dismount, wait, and clip back in than get hit halfway through an intersection.
Old 01-10-19, 03:49 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Maelochs
If there is Any question about who should go, I dismount...
I use this technique, always with the default is ME stopping. Either: 1. I STOP PEDALING, and wave the car through. or 1. I STAND UP on the pedals, and go of i have the right of way, they are obviously stopping, or waving me through.

Stop pedaling/wave them through means I am stopping. Standing up on the pedals is a clear indication to ANYONE on Earth that I am going. It has worked for 50+ years without a hitch.