Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Drivers Should Look Left Before Opening Door

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-19, 08:13 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/05/s...tmlInteresting article here about how drivers can more alert to oncoming cyclists.

The Dutch Reach means that drivers should open their doors with their right arm so they are facing backwards, instead of with their left arms facing forwards. This ensures that drivers will open their doors alert to the possibility of oncoming bikers. Thus reducing the possibility of "door-ing" oncoming cyclists.

I've seen more and more related activities ever since reading this article. I've seen several truck drivers open the door with their right arms, and I've seen a warning label on a rental car advising drivers to use the Dutch Reach.
Old 01-05-19, 08:30 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
You should watch for drivers in parked cars as well. And holler you're coming. Slow down and watch out for traffic behind you, then move over and pass when safe to do so.

How somebody opens their car door is beyond your control and they likely don't read BF.

Safety is a two-way street.
Old 01-05-19, 09:09 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by parkbrav
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/05/s...tmlInteresting article here about how drivers can more alert to oncoming cyclists
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/05/smarter-living/the-dutch-reach-save-bicyclists-lives-bicycle-safety-drivers.html

OP please check links once you post. You needed a space between .html and interesting.
Old 01-05-19, 09:10 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by Rollfast
You should watch for drivers in parked cars as well. And holler you're coming. Slow down and watch out for traffic behind you, then move over and pass when safe to do so.

How somebody opens their car door is beyond your control and they likely don't read BF.

Since the link did not work, seems you posted without even looking, let alone reading the article.
Old 01-05-19, 09:36 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
The dutch reach makes sense but unless there is some sort of government law to make all drivers do this, it's not going to be widespread.

But if you do have government law, the regular people will complain about the usual totalitarianism, unconsitutionality, nanny-state, loss of individual rights etc.

Much simpler would be to mandate auto manufactures to relocate all door handles to be right beside the shoulder. That way you can't reach the door handle with the hand closest to the door. You'd be forced by design to use the opposite hand to open the door - passenger door too.
Old 01-05-19, 09:50 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Even better, ride outside the door zone and keep your eyes out.
Old 01-06-19, 12:30 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast

It it is. Except the cyclist isn't the one that crates the danger for the motorist. The problem with what seem like such a simple solution is that dangers don't always come at you one by one and from only one direction at a time. Ride safely.
Originally Posted by Bmach
Even better, ride outside the door zone and keep your eyes out.
And in a perfect world that would make the most sense. BTW, I already thought of that. In any event, what is door zone? Is it legally defined? Is it even in the driver handbook?

I've seen cars suddenly come to a stop in the middle of the road and then drop people off. What is the solution then? Clairvoyance perhaps?
Old 01-06-19, 12:57 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by KraneXL
... I've seen cars suddenly come to a stop in the middle of the road and then drop people off. What is the solution then? Clairvoyance perhaps?
Point your front wheel at the person jumping out of the car. That way you have some padding between you and the door.
That exact situation happened to me once. Did a panic stop and my front wheel stopped between the guys legs and one inch below his crotch.
Old 01-06-19, 01:37 AM
Bmach

And in a perfect world that would make the most sense. BTW, I already thought of that. In any event, what is door zone? Is it legally defined? Is it even in the driver handbook?

I've seen cars suddenly come to a stop in the middle of the road and then drop people off. What is the solution then? Clairvoyance perhaps?
What is a door zone? If you don’t know then maybe you should not be on the road.

As for suddenly stopping cars, drop the attitude, slow down, keep your eyes open and ride safely. It really is not hard to do?
Old 01-06-19, 02:37 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Point your front wheel at the person jumping out of the car. That way you have some padding between you and the door.
That exact situation happened to me once. Did a panic stop and my front wheel stopped between the guys legs and one inch below his crotch.
I like it!
Old 01-06-19, 07:12 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
The Dutch reach impresses me as a ridiculous solution. Maybe I am missing something. If you can remember to use your right arm to open the door, can't you just remember to look before flinging your door open?

Doorings are easy accidents for us cyclists to avoid. We have absolute control over it.
Old 01-06-19, 07:55 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Since the link did not work, seems you posted without even looking, let alone reading the article.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/05/s...y-drivers.html

I apologize, I did not anticipate that my browser would not mind the gap between the link and the rest of my post.

To be frank, I did not appreciate the snark when I was reading this thread this morning. Clearly, I did read this article, that is why I am sharing it with you. I will also point out to you that free click-throughs on the NY Times are very valuable as you only get so many per month.

Why do drivers need to do something accommodates bikers? We do A LOT to accommodate them - we wear high visibility colors, we buy and maintain expensive bike lights, etc. etc. Cars should do something to accommodate bikers, too.

And the other point I was making - ever since I saw this article, I've seen evidence that this is catching on with drivers.
Old 01-06-19, 10:16 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
I saw a commercial just yesterday for an automobile feature that will keep the doors locked if another car is in the door zone. I was wondering if it was sensitive to bicycles and motorcycles. Good idea anyway.
Old 01-06-19, 10:56 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
The dutch reach makes sense but unless there is some sort of government law to make all drivers do this, it's not going to be widespread.

But if you do have government law, the regular people will complain about the usual totalitarianism, unconsitutionality, nanny-state, loss of individual rights etc.

Much simpler would be to mandate auto manufactures to relocate all door handles to be right beside the shoulder. That way you can't reach the door handle with the hand closest to the door. You'd be forced by design to use the opposite hand to open the door - passenger door too.
I agree there should be legislation to support this, but it doesn't have to be a enforced with nanny-policing and tickets. Just mandate that it be taught in all driving courses and part of drivers' license tests, and legislate that door-involved accidents are, by default, the fault of the door operator. If you get doored riding your bike (or car or motorcycle or scooter) you have a slam dunk case, the offenders insurance goes up, and the financial incentives will get people's attention.
Old 01-06-19, 11:20 AM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
It it is. Except the cyclist isn't the one that crates the danger for the motorist. The problem with what seem like such a simple solution is that dangers don't always come at you one by one and from only one direction at a time. Ride safely.
If you don't ride "far right as practical", it kind of is the cyclist putting himself into the dangerous situation that creates the danger. Far right as practical puts me out of the door zone.
Old 01-06-19, 11:20 AM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by tyrion
I agree there should be legislation to support this, but it doesn't have to be a enforced with nanny-policing and tickets. Just mandate that it be taught in all driving courses and part of drivers' license tests, and legislate that door-involved accidents are, by default, the fault of the door operator. If you get doored riding your bike (or car or motorcycle or scooter) you have a slam dunk case, the offenders insurance goes up, and the financial incentives will get people's attention.
Sure, but I wouldn't have a lot of confidence that teaching this in driving school will have a lot of positive effect.

There's a lot of things taught in driving school that are just simply ignored on the road. How many drivers actually come to a full stop at stop signs or red lights before preceeding to turn right? How many drivers observe the speed limit as the maximum instead of as the minimum. And when you remind someone online that pedestrians have the right of way, you get a lot of "disagrees" or thumbs down.

Penalties seem to be stricter when damages occur to other motor vehicles. When damages occur to pedestrians or cyclists, the offending driver is only given a fine, a demerit or minor charge of careless driving.

Last edited by Daniel4; 01-06-19 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-06-19, 04:03 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
We should start a thread entitled: "The Top-100 Things Motorists SHOULD do."

Wish into one hand, spit into the other, and see which one fills up first.
Old 01-06-19, 04:15 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
"Drivers Should Look Left Before Opening Door"

Yes, they should. But we're not going to change them, and even if 90% of them get the message, it only takes one of them to ruin your week.

We cyclists need to ride defensively. Stay left far enough to not get doored (or right if you're in one of those types of separated bike lanes). Watch for "people at the wheel" as you approach from behind. Make eye contact in mirrors. If you cannot, get over.

I got doored once by a guy in a parked panel van. I couldn't see him as I approached, and I was pretty new to road riding at the time so I hadn't considered the possibility. The corner of his door caught my shoe and ripped it open. I was unharmed, luckily. He was almost as stunned as I was. I'm certain that the lesson learned stuck with him for at least 48 hours before he returned to life as usual. I probably should have bargained for a new pair of shoes but there was a language barrier and I still wanted to finish out my ride.
Old 01-06-19, 05:01 PM
Daniel4

That's why I had recommended that auto manufacturers redesign the car door for the door handle to be located at the shoulder. What drivers should do will be eliminated and replaced with what they have to do to open the door- use their opposite hand.
Old 01-06-19, 06:31 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by daoswald
"Drivers Should Look Left Before Opening Door"

Yes, they should. But we're not going to change them, and even if 90% of them get the message, it only takes one of them to ruin your week.

We cyclists need to ride defensively. Stay left far enough to not get doored (or right if you're in one of those types of separated bike lanes). Watch for "people at the wheel" as you approach from behind. Make eye contact in mirrors. If you cannot, get over.

I got doored once by a guy in a parked panel van. I couldn't see him as I approached, and I was pretty new to road riding at the time so I hadn't considered the possibility. The corner of his door caught my shoe and ripped it open. I was unharmed, luckily. He was almost as stunned as I was. I'm certain that the lesson learned stuck with him for at least 48 hours before he returned to life as usual. I probably should have bargained for a new pair of shoes but there was a language barrier and I still wanted to finish out my ride.
Now that's my kind of humor!
Old 01-06-19, 07:00 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I'm freaky clairvoyant.
Old 01-06-19, 10:03 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
I saw a commercial just yesterday for an automobile feature that will keep the doors locked if another car is in the door zone. I was wondering if it was sensitive to bicycles and motorcycles. Good idea anyway.
We need to get the word out. The sensors are already there. We just need to get the auto industry (or insurance industry?) aware of the potential danger and liability of not having this feature installed.
Originally Posted by mrodgers
If you don't ride "far right as practical", it kind of is the cyclist putting himself into the dangerous situation that creates the danger. Far right as practical puts me out of the door zone.
This reminds me of manufactures milage reports. The reason they say "your mileage may vary" is because we live in the real world. Not some hermetically sealed test environment with no obstacles or interference to lower the results. Your statement lacks real-world experience. Or maybe I should say "big city" experience?
Old 01-06-19, 10:17 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
We need to get the word out. The sensors are already there. We just need to get the auto industry (or insurance industry?) aware of the potential danger and liability of not having this feature installed.
I think the reason there's no great rush to install such features is they are well aware that their potential liability is negligible.
Old 01-06-19, 10:44 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by parkbrav
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/05/s...y-drivers.html

I apologize, I did not anticipate that my browser would not mind the gap between the link and the rest of my post.

To be frank, I did not appreciate the snark when I was reading this thread this morning. Clearly, I did read this article, ...
Please reread the order and content of my post. There was no snark in Post #3, I helped you out by including a working link. The reason I asked you to always check the links after the post is up, is because many of us have had the same problem with spaces being removed or other issues making the links not work.

In Post #4 , directed at Rollfast, who clearly did not read the article before his Post #2 .

Last edited by CB HI; 01-06-19 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-06-19, 10:49 PM
Bmach

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
any idea how that would work in a emergency if the driver needed to get out of the car and the door was locked because of this feature?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.