Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Concurrent Training I cant do it

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-19, 11:06 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4422 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 3,028 Posts

When I have tried weight training and bike training at the same time it made me horrible at both. Too burned out. I will be 51 in a few days and decided to train on the bikes with an ocassional hike here and there. I get enough strength type training mowing and weed eating and running a chain saw etc etc .. I just can’t clank weights and ride at the same time. I figure cardiovascular fitness at this stage is more important plus I enjoy bike riding so much more than weight training like conquering climbing over that hill on my bike or riding a century. Plus I can eat with in reason anything I want since the bikes burn tons of calories.
Old 01-29-19, 12:13 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Biking and hiking have saved me.
Yardwork is my full body workout.
Altho the City has a ‘fitness room’ with weights at a nearby Community that I use sparingly.
Old 01-29-19, 01:44 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Leg and core strength as we approach ages where muscle mass is in decline remain as important as cardio health.

Skip upper body if you want but skipping leg, back, and core days is done at your own risk.

At least do walking lunges a few times a week. Or squats once a week. They suck! But not being able to do them as you grow older is worse.

(I'm your age too, and am also trying to balance weight work with riding)
Old 01-29-19, 02:40 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
I am 70 and lift three days a week and ride or use my elliptical. The amount of muscle loss when I do not lift is dramatic and at this age it does not come back very easily. I would strongly suggest that you get into a three day a week lifting program that hits the major muscle groups and core. Your bone density is also at risk and no amount of bike riding will compensate for not doing resistance work. You might want to do higher reps, 12-15 for two sets with lighter weights as you build up your strength. I can not stress enough how difficult it is as you get older to retain much less build mass. Do what you wish but you will be very happy you did some weight training when you get in your 60's. Just my .02.
Frank.
Old 01-29-19, 04:36 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

I hear y’all. I have my weight cage and weights all set up in the garage ready to go. I’m reconsidering and will probably start lifting luckily I’m naturally stocky so gaining mass isn’t an issue. I’m just gun shy because i deadlifted myself into a hernia operation back in 2015 but I realize the importance of resistance training and if I ride everyday I will burn out on biking. I hate aging
Old 01-29-19, 05:52 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
I hear y’all. I have my weight cage and weights all set up in the garage ready to go. I’m reconsidering and will probably start lifting luckily I’m naturally stocky so gaining mass isn’t an issue. I’m just gun shy because i deadlifted myself into a hernia operation back in 2015 but I realize the importance of resistance training and if I ride everyday I will burn out on biking. I hate aging
Give an example of the weight program you've been doing.
Old 01-29-19, 10:54 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

I was doing Wendlers 5-3-1 program before my gut ruptured I gained a ton of strength over 2 years it is a gradual program with many different templates and is simple to follow. Emphasis on the compound movements with accessory exercises to address weaknesses. My hernia wasn’t from a poor program it was going to happen eventually from loaded hay or using a jackhammer or some basic manual farm/ranch chore. 5-3-1 has templates for older lifters I will look them up in the books I have on 5-3-1. Wendler 5-3-1 programs emphasize conditioning as an important part of the program such as sprinting up hills etc etc.
Old 01-30-19, 08:47 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
I was doing Wendlers 5-3-1 program before my gut ruptured I gained a ton of strength over 2 years it is a gradual program with many different templates and is simple to follow. Emphasis on the compound movements with accessory exercises to address weaknesses. My hernia wasn’t from a poor program it was going to happen eventually from loaded hay or using a jackhammer or some basic manual farm/ranch chore. 5-3-1 has templates for older lifters I will look them up in the books I have on 5-3-1. Wendler 5-3-1 programs emphasize conditioning as an important part of the program such as sprinting up hills etc etc.
IME there's nothing really better out there for cyclists than what's in Friel's Cyclist's Training Bible. Simple, quick, no injuries, no excess strain. I know a lot of folks love their deadlift, but it's a huge metabolic strain. Overheads and chins aren't useful for cycling. Really it's just squats or sled, rows, and benches, enough reps so it's not too much weight to exhaustion. Other exercises flesh it out a bit, but that's the basics. You could try the Friel. I always ride for an hour or so before my 1 hour gym session. Works fine. Hill sprints were always my strong point. Long competitive group rides on the weekends. I only lift twice a week, Tuesday and Thursday. So like:

Sunday - long hard ride, preferably group
Monday - off or hike or snowshoe or something non-bike depending on how I feel and the season and weather
Tuesday - 1 hour, usually with a long very high cadence interval, moderate intensity, then gym, 1 hour
Wednesday - usually run, just to keep everything working properly. I'd hate it if I got so weak I couldn't run. But off I I'm going to do intervals on Thursday
Thursday - 1 hour moderate steady-state or maybe with intervals, depending on season and fitness. Then gym, 1 hour
Friday - maybe another hour of steady-state or a run or off, depending on how I feel and how hard the Sunday ride is going to be.
Saturday - usually off, but if I've missed weekday workouts I'll do 1/2 hour of zone 1 with a full-gas 3' interval in it. During base, sometimes I'll ride moderate on both Saturday and Sunday, 60-100 miles total.
Old 01-30-19, 10:43 PM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 160 Posts
I'm 53 and, as I got older, I cut back on the heavy weights and keep my lifting workouts to 45 min or so and only 2-3 days a week. I don't work the quads as much because they tend to gain size during riding season but I do work the hamstrings and calves. For the upper body it's a general workout with some emphasis on shoulders and upper back/traps to help the neck while riding. After reading a study that cyclist tend to lose bone mass as we age I decided keeping weights in my workout program was important. I definitely went lighter with weights (and more repetitions) as I've gotten older as years of heavy weights and their effects on my joints became a little more apparent.

Old 01-30-19, 10:49 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by scozim
IAfter reading a study that cyclist tend to lose bone mass as we age I decided keeping weights in my workout program was important.
It might not be enough: https://bmjopensem.bmj.com/content/b...00449.full.pdf
Old 01-30-19, 11:17 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

After trimming trees all day and using a chainsaw I don’t want to see a weight tomorrow I have a ride planned if it doesn’t rain. Anyways lighter weights and higher reps make sense. Lighting heavy is a recipe for injury and I don’t care how much I can lift at this stage of my days.
Old 01-30-19, 11:23 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Originally Posted by wgscott

interesting study thanks for the link.
Old 01-30-19, 11:57 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
IME there's nothing really better out there for cyclists than what's in Friel's Cyclist's Training Bible. Simple, quick, no injuries, no excess strain. I know a lot of folks love their deadlift, but it's a huge metabolic strain. Overheads and chins aren't useful for cycling. Really it's just squats or sled, rows, and benches, enough reps so it's not too much weight to exhaustion. Other exercises flesh it out a bit, but that's the basics. You could try the Friel. I always ride for an hour or so before my 1 hour gym session. Works fine. Hill sprints were always my strong point. Long competitive group rides on the weekends. I only lift twice a week, Tuesday and Thursday. So like:

Sunday - long hard ride, preferably group
Monday - off or hike or snowshoe or something non-bike depending on how I feel and the season and weather
Tuesday - 1 hour, usually with a long very high cadence interval, moderate intensity, then gym, 1 hour
Wednesday - usually run, just to keep everything working properly. I'd hate it if I got so weak I couldn't run. But off I I'm going to do intervals on Thursday
Thursday - 1 hour moderate steady-state or maybe with intervals, depending on season and fitness. Then gym, 1 hour
Friday - maybe another hour of steady-state or a run or off, depending on how I feel and how hard the Sunday ride is going to be.
Saturday - usually off, but if I've missed weekday workouts I'll do 1/2 hour of zone 1 with a full-gas 3' interval in it. During base, sometimes I'll ride moderate on both Saturday and Sunday, 60-100 miles total.

It does sound like what you are doing is working for you, but have you given consideration to having another day in between weight training sessions?
Old 01-31-19, 05:35 AM
Greenhil

Bikes: 2018 Kona Rove NRB, 2121 Kona Libre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg
I am 70 and lift three days a week and ride or use my elliptical. The amount of muscle loss when I do not lift is dramatic and at this age it does not come back very easily. I would strongly suggest that you get into a three day a week lifting program that hits the major muscle groups and core. Your bone density is also at risk and no amount of bike riding will compensate for not doing resistance work. You might want to do higher reps, 12-15 for two sets with lighter weights as you build up your strength. I can not stress enough how difficult it is as you get older to retain much less build mass. Do what you wish but you will be very happy you did some weight training when you get in your 60's. Just my .02.
Frank.
Echoing this. At 70 I’m thinking that abandoning weight training while I ride and do other things during the warmer months probably isn’t a good idea. I have a suspicion even my riding suffers by season’s end if I haven’t continued to use weights. I mow, cut wood, throw hay bales, etc - but not with the regularity that constitutes a real routine. I’m trying to adjust my training as I age, avoid injury-prone lifting, stretch and take rest days, but I admit I’m not really sure about what I’m doing. I feel like there’s a dearth of good info out there for riders 65+. I’ll check out the Friel book mentione here.

Old 01-31-19, 06:46 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
My normal routine has been to walk 18 holes of golf M-F, ride 30-40 miles two days a week plus a 5-6 hour ride on weekends. It’s tougher riding after walking 5-6 miles playing golf. But it keeps me going.....if I have a hilly epic ride planned it really helps to skip the golf a few days in advance of the ride.
Old 01-31-19, 07:05 AM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
Hate weights. Any core and leg strength I need that is not built on the bike, I can get skiing or hiking. Over the past few years I've been doing a fair bit of construction, which also helps. Once a week or so, I mix in a run or elliptical session to what is usually 7 days a week of some type of cardio. Then again, I'm not at 62 looking to improve, just to slow the decline.
Old 01-31-19, 08:00 AM
bargeon

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
The hardest part of aging is coming to terms with the fact that you can't do some of the things you used to.
Old 01-31-19, 09:14 AM
aclass

Bikes: Specialized Roubiax Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bargeon
The hardest part of aging is coming to terms with the fact that you can't do some of the things you used to.
Hard indeed. A willing mind and uncooperative body is a tough pill to swallow.

53 here and still lifting weights often(4 days/week) but the heavy days are over. I'd like to be faster on the bike but dont want to stop lifting and lose the hard earned gains in a matter of one season. Not to mention what it would do to my endomorphic appearance. I need all the upper body I can get to offset a fat ass and large quads most of which are covered with a nice layer of adipose.

One thing I have noticed since crossing the half century mark is my ability to react to training. It seems my body is resistant to training and improvements through the Summer months are very minimal.

In the words of a dear friend who passed of cancer at the young age of 35, "never quit man, never quit"
Old 01-31-19, 09:25 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
I have a 2nd job at a big box home improvement store in their lumber/building materials dept. lugging bags of sand & concrete, wielding & cutting giant sheets of pressure treated plywood, MDF & Melamine. then there's the lumber I cut at the radial arm saw & up to 24,000 steps. after a full shift, I'm absolutely sore head to toe. at age 59.8 it takes a good 24 hrs to recover. sometimes I need a muscle relaxer for my lower back. none of that holds a candle to precision weight training for muscle development tho. for a time, I was also swimming & running in addition to the cycling & weight training with some occasional racquetball. for a while there, between 49 & 51 I was in the best shape of my life w no injuries. it was a long duration body transformation that started 10 years prior with just walking at lunch. the key for me was timing. timing for the various efforts & nutrition. meaning run today, cycle tomorrow & weight train the day after. occasionally did more than one in a single 24hrs day, like biking 44 miles round trip to do upper body weight training, but that was rare. my mantra was "do no harm". following an emotional trauma Sept/Oct 2010, I lost all motivation but I kept that 2nd job. by August 2011 I was back at the gym & on the bike regularly. it takes a lot of motivation to do it all. I'll likely never have that again but it's no sweat working in some weight training & cycling despite working 6 days a week with about a dozen 7 day work weeks a year (spring & summer). we do what we can, & not what we can't. reminds me realizing some days I was not at my best, like a poor performance or weak run. then out of nowhere, I'd have a run & didn't recognize the legs under my body as I propelled myself around the track at blistering speeds. would love to feel that surge again some day. pardon the wobbling rant. stay true to what's important to you. that's all that matters

recently asked my 91+ yr old Dad what's the point, to anything we do. he smiled & said: "if it makes you happy"
Old 01-31-19, 09:34 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I can sympathise with that. I started keeping track this year and the last time I moved weights was weeks ago. I'm running 3-4 hours per week and biking 7 or 8 hours, but for some reason just balk at the weights.
Old 01-31-19, 12:31 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
It does sound like what you are doing is working for you, but have you given consideration to having another day in between weight training sessions?
I had time to experiment with almost everything. Sure, 2 days between strength workouts would be better for the strength workouts, but worse for cycling. My Big Deal of the week is my Sunday group ride and sufferfest. I need 2 days after a strength workout to hit my numbers on the ride. No point in it if I can't hit my numbers. OTOH, doing strength and working almost to failure, the weight used almost doesn't matter.

Perhaps my best results from strength training came from doing 3 sets of 30, circuit style, using the same weight for all 3 sets, the weight calibrated so that I couldn't quite complete the 3rd set. I used these exercises in this order: leg sled, horizontal rows, hyperextension machine, barbell squats, bench press, one legged calf raises (no weights), knee raises in Roman chair, lat pulldowns. I did this for a few years, but changed it because it took too long and the gym had to be sparsely populated. Really good results, though. I got pretty strong on the bike. Highly recommended if you have the time or use a home gym.
Old 01-31-19, 12:44 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by Greenhil

Echoing this. At 70 I’m thinking that abandoning weight training while I ride and do other things during the warmer months probably isn’t a good idea. I have a suspicion even my riding suffers by season’s end if I haven’t continued to use weights. I mow, cut wood, throw hay bales, etc - but not with the regularity that constitutes a real routine. I’m trying to adjust my training as I age, avoid injury-prone lifting, stretch and take rest days, but I admit I’m not really sure about what I’m doing. I feel like there’s a dearth of good info out there for riders 65+. I’ll check out the Friel book mentione here.
At 73 I can confirm your conjecture. Doing strength training, my thighs and arms are exactly the same size they were at 58. Strength really helps on the long or steep climbs. Actually there's a lot of info out there. Google "sarcopenia," "strength training aging athlete," and have a look here: https://www.bikeforums.net/training-...e-athlete.html
Old 01-31-19, 01:50 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
At 59, with a few good crashes to my name; there are strength training exercises that I HAVE to do 6 days a week if I want to ride my bicycles.