Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Old 11-28-16, 11:10 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Another thing we don't think about with the Minuteman - lighting. Note that Alewife Linear Park/Somerville Community Path have lighting. (Solar even.)

It doesn't take much light to make the "invisible" visible. Why pedestrians are urged to carry our own lights in Arlington/Lexington/Bedford is the result of a decision made a couple of decades ago.

The whole of the Minuteman doesn't need stationary lighting. But it does need some lighting:
  • Areas approaching intersections.
  • Areas where there is signifcant foot traffic, such as:
    • Alewife Station to Arlington Center (the infamous "Stroller Slalom" Strava Segment, with it's King of the Mup for the 6 meter climb!)
    • Arlington Center to Brattle
    • Lexington Center
  • Proposed rest parklets off the path

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 11-28-16 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-28-16, 11:53 AM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 884 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Another thing we don't think about with the Minuteman - lighting. Note that Alewife Linear Park/Somerville Community Path have lighting. (Solar even.)

It doesn't take much light to make the "invisible" visible. Why pedestrians are urged to carry our own in Arlington/Lexington/Bedford is the result of a decision made a couple of decades ago.

The whole of the Minuteman doesn't need stationary lighting. But it does need some lighting:
  • Areas approaching intersections.
  • Areas where there is signifcant foot traffic, such as:
    • Alewife Station to Arlington Center (the infamous "Stroller Slalom" Strava Segment, with it's King of the Mup for the 6 meter climb!)
    • Arlington Center to Brattle
    • Lexington Center
  • Proposed rest parklets off the path

-mr. bill
That's actually a tough one. Commitments to a no-lights policy were made as part of the original Minuteman horse trading, for conservation or abutter quality of life or other reasons. Some folks on this list may be more conversant with the details than I am. My impression is that changing that would require some serious organizing.

rod
Old 11-28-16, 12:46 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by rholland1951
That's actually a tough one. Commitments to a no-lights policy were made as part of the original Minuteman horse trading, for conservation or abutter quality of life or other reasons. Some folks on this list may be more conversant with the details than I am. My impression is that changing that would require some serious organizing.

rod
Other decisions of the day have been reversed, so there are precedents - no plowing for example.

The type of lights that were opposed back in the day were awful. And expensive to wire and control too.

Abutters in Somerville are not complaining about the path lighting there, in fact they are more likely to compliment the lighting. You definitely should take another look at how they succeeded there.

On the other hand to get earfuls talk to folks in Somerville about the blinky stop signs far from the bike path! (Or folks in Arlington about the LED street lights.)

Anyhow, the 2013 Draft report on Navigating the Minuteman Bikeway included lighting recommendations too.

Done well, they are an option. Done hamhandedly, they are not.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 11-28-16 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-28-16, 12:49 PM
rholland1951

Other decisions of the day have been reversed, so there are precedents - no plowing for example.

The type of lights that were opposed back in the day were awful. And expensive to wire and control too.

Abutters in Somerville are not complaining about the path lighting there, in fact they are more likely to compliment the lighting. You definitely should take another look at how they succeeded there.

On the other hand to get earfuls talk to folks in Somerville about the blinky stop signs! (Or folks in Arlington about the LED street lights.)

Anyhow, the 2013 Draft report on Navigating the Minuteman Bikeway included lighting recommendations too.

Done well, they are an option. Done hamhandedly, they are not.

-mr. bill
Sounds like it's time for an evening ride on the Somerville path.

rod
Old 11-28-16, 01:19 PM
mr_bill

Sounds like it's time for an evening ride on the Somerville path.

rod
And also Mass Ave from Cedar Street to Arlington Center. Ask yourself why so many people on bicycles are riding the gauntlet from Cedar to Alewife Brook. (I think you'll find the answer illuminating.)

-mr. bill
Old 11-28-16, 01:39 PM
rholland1951

And also Mass Ave from Cedar Street to Arlington Center. Ask yourself why so many people on bicycles are riding the gauntlet from Cedar to Alewife Brook. (I think you'll find the answer illuminating.)

-mr. bill
This suggests that brief Cambridge segment of the trail is unlit... Or am I making the wrong inference? I seldom get East of Arlington Center on Minuteman night rides, so don't have the data.

rod
Old 11-28-16, 02:05 PM
mr_bill

This suggests that brief Cambridge segment of the trail is unlit... Or am I making the wrong inference? I seldom get East of Arlington Center on Minuteman night rides, so don't have the data.

rod
No, Cambridge Linear Park is lit too, just not as well as Community Path. At least that's what I remember, it's been a while since I bail at Cedar at night. It's just the Minuteman is dark, and I'd rather ride Mass Ave bike lane in the dark. (I'd be curious to look at recent datasets from Strava/Garmin/Runkeeper. I suspect that more people are riding Mass Ave in East Arlington since the bike lanes, but *especially* at night.)

-mr. bill
Old 11-28-16, 03:03 PM
rholland1951

No, Cambridge Linear Park is lit too, just not as well as Community Path. At least that's what I remember, it's been a while since I bail at Cedar at night. It's just the Minuteman is dark, and I'd rather ride Mass Ave bike lane in the dark. (I'd be curious to look at recent datasets from Strava/Garmin/Runkeeper. I suspect that more people are riding Mass Ave in East Arlington since the bike lanes, but *especially* at night.)

-mr. bill
Could well be; I like the East Arlington bike lanes, too. I actually do like the darkened Minuteman, in the segments I habitually ride it (W of Arlington Center), provided there isn't too much traffic. For minutes at a time I have the place to myself, and a ride alone in the dark has an oneiric quality that's hard to beat. But a ride in a crowd at night, with an oncoming parade of badly set up lights, is a whole different sort of dream altogether.

rod
Old 11-28-16, 08:07 PM
sherbornpeddler

Bikes: 3 speeds, mountain, road and recumbent

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
The expertise and experience in this trail lighting discussion shines brightly. Decades old agreements about lighting were made without the benefit of your considerable Minuteman expertise. Good points all. Most of my night riding is on unlit small roads when I tip my light down the same way a car uses low beam.

Mass State Legislature is dreaming again about adopting "Dark Skies" lighting legislation that has it's own oneiric ideas about finding a middle ground that provides safety and enables stars to be seen. Lights will shine down on roads and paths and not up to the sky. Our town approved a permit for a building's sidewalk lighting that is only a couple of feet off the ground and only shines down.
Old 11-29-16, 07:04 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

… For minutes at a time I have the place to myself, and a ride alone in the dark has an oneiric quality that's hard to beat…
Originally Posted by sherbornpeddler
…Mass State Legislature is dreaming again about adopting "Dark Skies" lighting legislation that has it's own oneiric ideas about finding a middle ground that provides safety and enables stars to be seen...
Wow…using oneiric in two posts on one page. Such is the
élan of this erudite and illuminating Metro Boston thread.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-29-16 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-29-16, 07:21 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
I guess it doesn't add too much to the discussion but I am kinda looking forward to winter wonderland rides along the Minuteman. I just picked up a set of Schwable 700x50 Marathon Winter studded tires for my 29er. I've been keeping with it and started to dip below 100 miles per week for the past 2 weeks. Sunday mornings mild sunny weather did allow for a rather spirited 34 miles on what is probably the last ride of the year on my R3. It is now firmly entwined with my trainer.

Cheers
Old 11-29-16, 07:59 AM
rholland1951

Originally Posted by Ghazmh
I guess it doesn't add too much to the discussion but I am kinda looking forward to winter wonderland rides along the Minuteman. I just picked up a set of Schwable 700x50 Marathon Winter studded tires for my 29er. I've been keeping with it and started to dip below 100 miles per week for the past 2 weeks. Sunday mornings mild sunny weather did allow for a rather spirited 34 miles on what is probably the last ride of the year on my R3. It is now firmly entwined with my trainer.

Cheers
See you out in the snow and ice!

rod
Old 11-29-16, 09:50 AM
sherbornpeddler

Originally Posted by Ghazmh

Cheers
G, Your post and Rod's follow up sums it all up.
dipping milage, mild weather spirited rides, entwined go fast bike and snow and ice optimism.
Old 11-30-16, 06:11 PM
JohnHuth

Bikes: Madrone hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question is: when to swap into the studded tires? Last year, it was November 10th. Now, it's just about December 1st and I'm still on my Spring/Summer/Fall. I may just wait for a freeze-up and put them on then. The added resistance will be a shock, no doubt, as it always is.
Old 11-30-16, 07:32 PM
rholland1951

Yah, equip for conditions... My mental model says that most often happens around the 3rd week of December, but I remember years when it didn't happen until January, and, as you point out, that stuff came early last year. In any event, my mental model is just something to fill the awful emptiness between the ears... With luck, not this weekend...

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 12-24-16 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-30-16, 08:05 PM
JohnHuth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With luck, not this weekend...

rod
My attitude exactly.
Old 11-30-16, 09:28 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnHuth
My attitude exactly.
Tonight I almost needed ballast to avoid floating away on the Minuteman.....

I will be happy if conditions don't require studded wheels for a few more weeks. When that time comes, I'll be trying out a 4 row studded 45NRTH tire on the front wheel, with 2 row studded on the rear. It's going to be slow going, but should get me to the orifice sure enough.
Old 12-01-16, 09:04 AM
JohnHuth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Archwhorides
Tonight I almost needed ballast to avoid floating away on the Minuteman.....
I went through a couple of huge puddles last night. Tuesday and Wednesday back-to-back wasn't so great, hoping for a drier commute home tonight.
Old 12-02-16, 06:36 PM
sherbornpeddler

I had a nice ride yesterday afternoon. It seemed to cloud up and cool off from the scorching mid day temps. I wonder if this balmy 40F mid day weather will last and we won't get any snow? Translation: I've not changed tires on bike or car but I have figured out how to dress for damp 40F biking. This weekend looks good.
Old 12-02-16, 07:23 PM
rholland1951

Took the LHT up to Lexington Center tonight in the cool and dark, Venus and a crescent moon riding low on the Southern horizon, impersonating the flag of South Carolina (among other places). Plenty of lights sprinkled around in the darkness, lovely evening for a ride.

rod
Old 12-03-16, 03:06 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
We managed 47.5 miles today, just a quick run out to Carlisle for lunch as usual.

Old 12-03-16, 05:31 PM
JohnHuth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like we're going to have a couple of possible rain/snow mix days. Maybe time to swap in the snow tires. Probably get this done tomorrow, so I don't have to futz around on days when I have early AM meetings.

The fall was good while it lasted.
Old 12-04-16, 09:45 PM
rholland1951

Took the Rawland Nordavinden out for what is likely its last ride of the year, 14 miles on the Minuteman with the temperature falling through the 30s to nudge 29 in the cold spots near Arlington's Great Meadow.

I was delighted to discover that the big tree on Taylor Lane was gleaming in the darkness; last year, it stayed dark, for whatever reason; nice to have it back and shining.

I had the trail to myself from Fottler Ave. to Bedford Street, coming and going, contemplative solitude in the cold and dark.

I keep this bike away from road salt. It now heads to the shop for a tune-up, and will reappear in Spring.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 12-04-16 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-06-16, 07:32 AM
JohnHuth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First cold weather of the season - glad for the snow tires. A guy on the Charles River bike path in front of me skidded and sprawled all over the place.
Old 12-06-16, 07:59 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
was just thinking it's time for studs

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.