Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Diverge 2018

Old 08-29-17, 08:45 PM
wheelhot

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix, 2007 Giant Anthem, Polygon Quatro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess people should remember that the Diverge is still a road bike so you need to expect road bike handling and not MTB handling (eg: pedalling at corners), the only difference would be the Diverge would be able to handle rougher grounds better than a road bike but it'll be slower at technical sections than a MTB.

Just look at this video and you'll see how easy MTB terrain becomes a little bit challenging for gravel bikes (or in other words, you'll need to work on your skills)

Honestly if you ask me, if you need more slacker geo than the Diverge, I feel a MTB would be a better suit, heck an Epic Hardtail is around 10kg if I recall which is either lighter or equivalent to gravel bikes weight and with more front suspension travel and room for super large tires. I totally don't like the "trend" like Fox AX and Lefty Oliver as it's essentially turning road bike into MTB hardtails, might as well put drop bars on your MTB and you get a way more versatile bike than a gravel bike.

Last edited by wheelhot; 08-29-17 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-30-17, 08:09 AM
Rennvelo

Bikes: Specialiced Roubaix Comp 2017; Giant Anthem X1 2008 (MTB)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelhot
I guess people should remember that the Diverge is still a road bike so you need to expect road bike handling and not MTB handling (eg: pedalling at corners), the only difference would be the Diverge would be able to handle rougher grounds better than a road bike but it'll be slower at technical sections than a MTB.

Just look at this video and you'll see how easy MTB terrain becomes a little bit challenging for gravel bikes (or in other words, you'll need to work on your skills)

Honestly if you ask me, if you need more slacker geo than the Diverge, I feel a MTB would be a better suit, heck an Epic Hardtail is around 10kg if I recall which is either lighter or equivalent to gravel bikes weight and with more front suspension travel and room for super large tires. I totally don't like the "trend" like Fox AX and Lefty Oliver as it's essentially turning road bike into MTB hardtails, might as well put drop bars on your MTB and you get a way more versatile bike than a gravel bike.
+1 I totally agree. A gravel bike is much closer
to a road bike than an MTB. Some trails are just not suited for gravel bikes, especially when the ground has roots or big stones. I once rode a MTB trail with a road bike and it was not fun. With a gravel bike, I do not want to be able to do sharp curvs for example. Some non technical oriented MTB rider that ride only on dirt roads or so might be better of with a gravel bike. I think that there exist quite a lot of "soft" (non technical) MTB riders out there. In the last couple of years I did only a handfull rides with my MTB that could not have been done with a gravel bike. But for those, I need a MTB, if I really want to do these rides.
Old 08-30-17, 01:22 PM
Ryder1

Bikes: Evil Following MB, D'back Haanjo, Kona Unit SS

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelhot
I guess people should remember that the Diverge is still a road bike so you need to expect road bike handling

I agree. The buyer is responsible for remembering that fact, because the folks in advertising are telling us how Specialized has "slacked out the head tube angle" (yet the 56 and 58 have the same steep 72.5* HTA as 2017) and the bike is ready for "endless dirt skids and mid corner drifts." This bike (56) has the same HTA and fork offset as my 2010 Roubaix.
Old 08-31-17, 12:44 PM
Gmas

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone had an opportunity to ride both alloy and carbon models of the new Diverge? Ideally the E5 Comp with futureshock, as well as a carbon model with futureshock. I've been searching for a road bike the past couple months, and was initially looking at Roubaixs, but I'm leaning more and more to the Diverge now since it's little more relaxed, more comfy, and offers more versatility.

My LBS has the new models, but doesn't have the E5 Comp in stock in my size (56). I was able to take the carbon Comp out though....and wow. Loved this bike, and I probably made a mistake trying it out since it's a little out of my price range, but I wanted to check out the futureshock. I tested out an '16 Roubaix Comp SL4 Udi2 (on sale for $2799 CDN) and '16 Diverge Comp DSW ($2559) before the '18 Diverge, and the new Diverge with futureshock just took so much more of the edge off....to the point where it's pretty much a 'must' in my head now.

They offered to do 10% off the carbon Comp, which is really generous on a brand new model, but it still puts it more than what I was looking to spend ($3599). The E5 Comp hit more at a price I was hoping for ($2449 CDN). I LOVED the Comp though, and in my head I'm half thinking if I should try and find a way to stretch and get it.

So now I'm just wondering how dramatic of a difference there is in terms of feel/ride between the E5 Comp and carbon Comp. I know the latter has a carbon frame vs alloy, hydraulic vs mechanical disc brakes and CG-R seatpost. Not sure if I could get the 10% off the E5 Comp - the guy might have just been trying to help me out since the Comp was the model they had my size in. So the 10% off the Comp would make it $3599 (CDN prices) vs $2449 which is the reg price for the E5 Comp.

Any thoughts or advice?
Old 08-31-17, 04:51 PM
sgtrobo

Bikes: Cutthroat, Scalpel, Roubaix, Sequoia, SuperX, Diverge

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
a lot of discussion about what this bike is intended to do.

It's not a do-it-all bike. That is something like a Salsa Cutthroat (which I have). This bike, to me, is an endurance road bike that can handle some off-road areas and gravel. Or, to put it another way, it's a Roubaix with fatter tires (I know, not literally, but for the purposes of deciding how to ride it)

If you want to ride singletrack on a drop bar bike, I'll push you to grab a Salsa Cutthroat (because it is TRULY awesome).
If you want to ride long roads with the ability to go offroad and not obliterate yourself, grab a Diverge

Just my $0.02

speaking of which....some pics

LBS took delivery yesterday. Weight is with SWAT, no pedals, and tubes

I'll probably end up doing something wih the stem, possibly a Thompson Elite X4, S-Works hover bars, and almost definitely going to either go for a 44t or perhaps a 50-34 Force22 (haven't decided yet). Already took delivery of the Quarq power meter, so that'll be going on shortly.

Still deciding on tires. I want a fast-rolling gravel tire that has some bite on the sides, something notably bigger than the 38c Trigger Pro, which I like, but is only 38c. I'd prefer a 42c tire, or if possible a 44 or 45c such as a 1.8 Renegade or WTB Riddler. Will have to test clearance. They said a 1.8" Storm Control on a Roval Control wheel fit, but i gotta see it myself to believe it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
diverge-box.jpg (41.1 KB, 462 views)
diverge-padding.jpg (100.5 KB, 467 views)
diverge-frame.jpg (100.4 KB, 473 views)
diverge-weight.jpg (46.1 KB, 468 views)
diverge-full.jpg (97.6 KB, 478 views)
Old 08-31-17, 06:04 PM
Donsell

Bikes: Jamis Renegade Exploit, Scott Sportster 55

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great looking bike. Congrats!
Old 08-31-17, 08:17 PM
speshelite
Banned

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sgtrobo
a lot of discussion about what this bike is intended to do.

It's not a do-it-all bike. That is something like a Salsa Cutthroat (which I have). This bike, to me, is an endurance road bike that can handle some off-road areas and gravel. Or, to put it another way, it's a Roubaix with fatter tires (I know, not literally, but for the purposes of deciding how to ride it)
It took 18 pages, but FINALLY someone else willing to state what is common sensical.

The diverge is an evolution of the secteur (adding a CGR, FS and discs), and the secteur was an aluminum version of the roubaix with identical geometry.

No one with an ounce of common sense would ever believe the Diverge is either a cyclocross much less an mtb.

Now that the top secret NSA files with Diverge geometry have been released, perhaps people can ride this bike the way it was intended: as a road bike with occasional ventures on dirt roads.
Old 08-31-17, 08:56 PM
Richard8655

Bikes: 2007 & 2008 Specialized Tricross Comp

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I would have gone with the Diverge, but I think the competition has caught up. My LBS offers the 2017 Giant Anyroad Comax with composite frame and 105 configuration for $1850. The 2018 should be out soon.
Old 09-02-17, 09:05 PM
syncro87

Bikes: Raleigh Willard 2, Spec Sequoia Elite, State 4130 AllRoad, Catrike Expedition, Mercier Nano mini velo

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard8655
I would have gone with the Diverge, but I think the competition has caught up. My LBS offers the 2017 Giant Anyroad Comax with composite frame and 105 configuration for $1850. The 2018 should be out soon.
The 2018 looks to be a big upgrade over '17 as far as the Anyroad goes. At least in the carbon model. Better carbon, thru axle, tubeless tires to name three big improvements. Unless they were giving away the '17 comax bike, I think you'd be a bit nuts to not wait for the '18 at this point.

I have done a brief test ride of the new Diverge and of a Comax frame Anyroad. The Diverge was the lowest trim level that offers the future shock. The Diverge felt like the nicer, more premium bike to me, and that is totally subjective. I didn't ride either for long enough to gain a more nuanced or thorough impression of either.

I was surprised at how good the future shock felt, and my impression going into the test ride was that it was gimmicky.

At the same price point, the Diverge was more impressive than the Anyroad to me, and this being an alu Diverge vs. the carbon Anyroad. Not a dramatic difference, though, and I'd be happy to own either.

Two things will probably keep me from buying a Diverge. First is the overly (IMO) low bottom bracket. Second is the small worry about the proprietary future shock. Will it be a fly by night thing that is gone in 5 years, or not? Probably not, but I'm slightly leery of any gizmo tech like this until it becomes more widely adopted over some time.

Last edited by syncro87; 09-02-17 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-02-17, 09:42 PM
Richard8655

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by syncro87
The 2018 looks to be a big upgrade over '17 as far as the Anyroad goes. At least in the carbon model. Better carbon, thru axle, tubeless tires to name three big improvements. Unless they were giving away the '17 comax bike, I think you'd be a bit nuts to not wait for the '18 at this point.

I have done a brief test ride of the new Diverge and of a Comax frame Anyroad. The Diverge was the lowest trim level that offers the future shock. The Diverge felt like the nicer, more premium bike to me, and that is totally subjective. I didn't ride either for long enough to gain a more nuanced or thorough impression of either.

I was surprised at how good the future shock felt, and my impression going into the test ride was that it was gimmicky.

At the same price point, the Diverge was more impressive than the Anyroad to me, and this being an alu Diverge vs. the carbon Anyroad. Not a dramatic difference, though, and I'd be happy to own either.

Two things will probably keep me from buying a Diverge. First is the overly (IMO) low bottom bracket. Second is the small worry about the proprietary future shock. Will it be a fly by night thing that is gone in 5 years, or not? Probably not, but I'm slightly leery of any gizmo tech like this until it becomes more widely adopted over some time.
Interesting analysis and comparison. I almost went with a 2017 Comax where my LBS offered $200 off the list of $1850 today. Seemed a little measly with the 2018 coming out soon. I test rode it there and thought it was ok, but nothing spectacular. It might be because I'm coming from 2007 and 2008 Tricross Comps that still feel pretty darn good.

But good info. on the 2018 Comax improvements of the carbon frame and other components I wasn't aware of. My LBS (Giant dealer) makes a point, though, that you can't get near a carbon frame and 105 groupset with an equivalent Specialized (i.e., Diverge) at the Comax price point. Probably true, I think.

Future shock sounds a bit gimmicky to me, but interesting to hear your positive report and experience with it. My Tricrosses with Zertz inserts were probably just as gimmicky 10 years ago, but I've found it dampens shock really well.

But anyway, I'm reaching the conclusion that the Diverge is probably the better bike (as you also thought). But we definitely pay for that.

Last edited by Richard8655; 09-02-17 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-02-17, 09:49 PM
syncro87

Bikes: Raleigh Willard 2, Spec Sequoia Elite, State 4130 AllRoad, Catrike Expedition, Mercier Nano mini velo

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Interesting analysis and comparison. I almost went with a 2017 Comax where my LBS offered $200 off the list of $1850 today. Seemed a little measly with the 2018 coming out soon. I test rode it there and thought it was ok, but nothing spectacular. It might be because I'm coming from 2007 and 2008 Tricross Comps that still feel pretty darn good.

But good info. on the 2018 Comax improvements of the carbon frame and other components I wasn't aware of. My LBS (Giant dealer) makes a point, though, that you can't get near a carbon frame and 105 groupset with an equivalent Specialized (i.e., Diverge) at the Comax price point. Probably true, I think.

Future shock sounds a bit gimmicky to me, but interesting to hear your positive report and experience with it. My Tricrosses with Zertz inserts were probably just as gimmicky 10 years ago, but I've found it dampens shock really well.

But anyway, I'm reaching the conclusion that the Diverge is probably the better bike (as you also thought). But we definitely pay for that.

I don't think they even call the 2018 Anyroad comax any more. Something like advanced grade carbon. I seem to recall reading something a couple of years back to the effect that comax was a fairly low grade of carbon, or to some folks not "real" carbon, etc. I'm not going down that road, just trying to recall what I read back then. At any rate, the new carbon is supposedly a superior grade of material.

One concern I had with the future shock is that it seems to come with the stiffest of three spring options installed from the factory. Personally, I felt like I might want one more level of stiffness, maybe one more spring included with more resistance. I am not sure I like the spring that I rode being the max possible resistance.

You should seek out a future shock bike and give it a spin.

Anyway, yeah, I agree with you. If you were in the Anyroad market, I'd have to be able to buy one well back of $2k considering what you get for $2k-ish in a 2018. Seems to be a lot nicer bike in the 18, at least on paper.
Old 09-02-17, 10:54 PM
Richard8655

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't think they even call the 2018 Anyroad comax any more. Something like advanced grade carbon. I seem to recall reading something a couple of years back to the effect that comax was a fairly low grade of carbon, or to some folks not "real" carbon, etc. I'm not going down that road, just trying to recall what I read back then. At any rate, the new carbon is supposedly a superior grade of material.

One concern I had with the future shock is that it seems to come with the stiffest of three spring options installed from the factory. Personally, I felt like I might want one more level of stiffness, maybe one more spring included with more resistance. I am not sure I like the spring that I rode being the max possible resistance.

You should seek out a future shock bike and give it a spin.

Anyway, yeah, I agree with you. If you were in the Anyroad market, I'd have to be able to buy one well back of $2k considering what you get for $2k-ish in a 2018. Seems to be a lot nicer bike in the 18, at least on paper.
Yeah, you're right. Looks like Giant dropped the Comax name and is using Advanced 1 for their 2018 carbon Anyroad. Advanced now also apparently means advanced composite frame vs the 2017 model.

Will definitely give the Diverge with future shock a spin. Sounds like it might actually be a nice feature.
Old 09-03-17, 02:48 AM
Rennvelo

Bikes: Specialiced Roubaix Comp 2017; Giant Anthem X1 2008 (MTB)

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will definitely give the Diverge with future shock a spin. Sounds like it might actually be a nice feature.
Trust your feelings. Take the bike you feel better when riding it. Would not think too much about components or frame material, unless you are a very ambitous rider.
Old 09-03-17, 10:36 AM
Richard8655

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rennvelo
Trust your feelings. Take the bike you feel better when riding it. Would not think too much about components or frame material, unless you are a very ambitous rider.
Yep, good advice. Thanks.
Old 09-05-17, 07:13 PM
rgr555

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

where do i source the "Diverge" sticker? has anyone had experience putting on the other stripes in the rear and top tube? what does the R on the fork represent? I have seen it on other models.

Last edited by rgr555; 09-08-17 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-06-17, 10:08 AM
Gmas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really leaning towards a carbon Comp now, but torn between the new 2018 or trying to find a previous 16/17 on a good deal. My LBS offered me 10% off a 2018 Comp, and I'm not finding much better deals on 16/17's that are still floating around....in Canada at least. I've found one '16 and one '17 in my size, both for $3499 (CDN prices - MSRP was $4299). The '18 would be $3599 after 10% discount. I know the previous years are spec'd slightly better and have a 10r vs 9r frame, but wondering how much that matters. I also REALLY liked the futureshock, and I think if I got a previous year, I'd likely install a Redshift Shockstop stem ($200). I also found a '17 Expert relatively close to me for $3499.

I feel like it makes sense to buy the '18 if the prices aren't too different. If I could find a previous year Comp at $3000-ish then buying a previous year might make more sense. I've found a couple remaining Comps in my size in the US for much cheaper, but then have to factor in shipping, duties, etc.

Ugh....decisions, decisions.....

Any additional thoughts or advice?
Old 09-06-17, 06:00 PM
sgtrobo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
agreed 100%. I'm a bigger dude (250lbs/115kg) and I expected the future shock to do one of 2 things:
1. Be obnoxiously springy, like a shock with no rebound dampening
2. Do nothing

It was definitely not one of those 2. It did a surprisingly good job of maintaining a smooth ride as I zipped down a old cobblestone road, yet when I stood up and hammered up the hill, I felt no bob or bounce.
Old 09-06-17, 08:28 PM
Gmas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sgtrobo
agreed 100%. I'm a bigger dude (250lbs/115kg) and I expected the future shock to do one of 2 things:
1. Be obnoxiously springy, like a shock with no rebound dampening
2. Do nothing

It was definitely not one of those 2. It did a surprisingly good job of maintaining a smooth ride as I zipped down a old cobblestone road, yet when I stood up and hammered up the hill, I felt no bob or bounce.
I'm about the same size, and felt the exact same way. It smoothed out bumps and roughness immensely, but wasn't 'noticeable' when riding. Loved it.
Old 09-07-17, 01:06 PM
sgtrobo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gmas
Really leaning towards a carbon Comp now, but torn between the new 2018 or trying to find a previous 16/17 on a good deal. My LBS offered me 10% off a 2018 Comp, and I'm not finding much better deals on 16/17's that are still floating around....in Canada at least. I've found one '16 and one '17 in my size, both for $3499 (CDN prices - MSRP was $4299). The '18 would be $3599 after 10% discount. I know the previous years are spec'd slightly better and have a 10r vs 9r frame, but wondering how much that matters. I also REALLY liked the futureshock, and I think if I got a previous year, I'd likely install a Redshift Shockstop stem ($200). I also found a '17 Expert relatively close to me for $3499.

I feel like it makes sense to buy the '18 if the prices aren't too different. If I could find a previous year Comp at $3000-ish then buying a previous year might make more sense. I've found a couple remaining Comps in my size in the US for much cheaper, but then have to factor in shipping, duties, etc.

one of the biggest reasons to go for the 2018 Diverge is that it can fit substantially larger tires. The 2017 and previous Diverges were pure road bikes with enough clearance to BARELY fit slightly larger tires. The new Diverge is a lot more versatile with the larger tire clearance
Old 09-07-17, 06:48 PM
scotch
purity of essence

Bikes: 2018 Giant Trance 2, 2019 Trek Farley 7, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts
I rode a 2015 Carbon Comp for a few months. It's an amazing bike, and super super stiff. But I wanted fork and rear mounts for various attachments and the carbon didn't have any. Awesome bike, tho.
Old 09-07-17, 09:53 PM
Jofu

Bikes: 2015 Spec Roubaix Expert, 2016 Spec Diverge Expert X1, 2018 Allez Sprint eTap

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rgr555
what does the R on the fork represent? I have seen it on other models.
Looks like the rim has "RAZO" so when the wheel is aligned properly it spells out "RAZOR"

Geoff
Old 09-07-17, 11:19 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Gmas

The 16/17 Carbon have SCS geometry for wheels which is Specialized proprietary. I have a 2016 Expert X1 and love it, but the lack of wheel options on the 16-17 and the availability future shock and larger tire accommodation on the 18 would be a no brainer decision for me at this point in time. But I have a 16 and instead will be getting an 18 Roubaix di2 whenever they start rolling out.
Old 09-21-17, 10:52 AM
ETOPSFLIGHT

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guys

Joined the forum for this thread. Time for a new bike and the 2018 Diverge fits the bill.

I like the future shock and the capability of the bike to take racks and fenders. However this bike is classified under the adventure category which means it is meant to go anywhere, ie steep climbs.

I have narrowed my choice down to the Comp E5 model as I think the alloy frame will suit me the best. Not a real fan of carbon and wish the fork steerer was alloy too. Want to upgrade the mechaincal brakes to Shimano hydros.

The gearing is the biggest problem for me. Stock may be adequate for some places but I want to be able to load this bike up with racks/bags and tackle all climbs with relative ease. While I can live with the stock gearing it would be great to stick minimum 40 cassette on the back and add a Shimano Deore 38/22 crank on the front. Some people are doing this already to their road bikes with the Wolftooth Roadlink.

My concern is the seat tube of the Comp E5, is it circular in cross section and is there sufficient space below the 'braze-on' bracket to fit a MTB clamp style derailleur? Has anybody tried the above and can confirm it can be done?

All my LBS will not stock the Diverge so I am unable to view a bike first hand. Can somebody post detailed photos of the seat tube in the area of the braze-on and BB. Thanks in advance!

Cheers
Etops
Old 09-21-17, 11:52 AM
curttard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Emailing ridercare@specialized.com usually gets me a response in a couple days, you should try that.
Old 09-27-17, 05:22 PM
scotjonscot

Bikes: some

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryder1
I agree. The buyer is responsible for remembering that fact, because the folks in advertising are telling us how Specialized has "slacked out the head tube angle" (yet the 56 and 58 have the same steep 72.5* HTA as 2017) and the bike is ready for "endless dirt skids and mid corner drifts." This bike (56) has the same HTA and fork offset as my 2010 Roubaix.
With a ht angle of 72.5° combined with a rake of 50 mm, it's significantly more slack than my road bike (AllezSprint) with a 73°/44mm combo

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.