Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bikepacking/touring with Giant Defy

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-18, 05:39 PM
jedibeau

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a 2017 Giant Defy running Easton EA90 wheelset with 28mm tires and I am looking to do some touring on roads for a few days to a week at a time. I will be camping and have ultralight camping gear. I would prefer to not purchase a new bike dedicated to touring if I can feasibly do it with my current ride which fits me really well. My concern is that it is carbon and don't want to overload it. I know the geo for the bike is not ideal for touring but I can deal with that.

I weigh 170 pounds. My set up will include an Arkel Seatpacker 15, Apidura medium frame bag and Apidura handlebar bag with accessory pouch. My main gear weighs about 10 pounds (including full sleep system and cooking gear). Add another 10 pounds max for extra bits such as clothes, electronics and snacks. I will not be carrying all my food with me as I am going to be touring in locations with lots of towns (Vancouver Island and PNW USA).

Over the past year I have lost about 25 pounds so the way I look at it the added weight of the gear spread over the bike would equal that. I think the max rider weight for the Giant bikes is 275 pounds.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions regarding why I should or shouldn't do it?
Old 01-16-18, 11:02 PM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Given your location ...

Your setup isn't ideal for touring. STIs are hard to fix on the road, 28mm tires are just ok, limited racks mean your compromising i.e. not carrying food, repair equipment etc

But you say you'll be where there are lots of towns?

If there is an LBS there you'll be fine. If there isn't you'll be fine but may have to cut your tour short.

But do carry some food. I once broke down 10 miles from a town. Walked in at 10pm as all the restaurants were closing. Bring hungry and tired was horrible.

A giant defy is an endurance bike no?

Originally Posted by jedibeau
I have a 2017 Giant Defy running Easton EA90 wheelset with 28mm tires and I am looking to do some touring on roads for a few days to a week at a time. I will be camping and have ultralight camping gear. I would prefer to not purchase a new bike dedicated to touring if I can feasibly do it with my current ride which fits me really well. My concern is that it is carbon and don't want to overload it. I know the geo for the bike is not ideal for touring but I can deal with that.

I weigh 170 pounds. My set up will include an Arkel Seatpacker 15, Apidura medium frame bag and Apidura handlebar bag with accessory pouch. My main gear weighs about 10 pounds (including full sleep system and cooking gear). Add another 10 pounds max for extra bits such as clothes, electronics and snacks. I will not be carrying all my food with me as I am going to be touring in locations with lots of towns (Vancouver Island and PNW USA).

Over the past year I have lost about 25 pounds so the way I look at it the added weight of the gear spread over the bike would equal that. I think the max rider weight for the Giant bikes is 275 pounds.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions regarding why I should or shouldn't do it?
Old 01-17-18, 12:56 AM
TallTourist

Bikes: Vivente Deccan XXXL Slightly modified

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen people tour on racing bikes and all sorts of crazy crap. You'll probably be fine. If u break down it's probably not a far walk/hitchike/cab ride to a safe place.

Even on a proper touring bike one can break down and need help so don't sweat it and just go

Hope you have fun
Old 01-17-18, 01:05 AM
azza_333

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You will be fine with a Defy, they are more of an endurance bike, so it will be a lot more comfortable that a race bike. Don't worry about people that stay STIs are hard to fix, although this is true, I have been riding STIs for 10 years now and have never had one fail on me, on top of that you're touring state side not in the third world so bike shop will be able to help you out. I have tourer on both steel touring bikes with trekking groupsets, and carbon bikes with Ultegra road groupsets, and I much prefer touring on my carbon bike.
Old 01-17-18, 03:22 AM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by azza_333
You will be fine with a Defy, they are more of an endurance bike, so it will be a lot more comfortable that a race bike. Don't worry about people that stay STIs are hard to fix, although this is true, I have been riding STIs for 10 years now and have never had one fail on me, on top of that you're touring state side not in the third world so bike shop will be able to help you out. I have tourer on both steel touring bikes with trekking groupsets, and carbon bikes with Ultegra road groupsets, and I much prefer touring on my carbon bike.
Let me clarify my comment. The later generations of STIs are very hard to fix on the road. The 5800 shifters are very tough to even disassemble in your workshop!

But the earlier versions of STI are easier. My 4500 STIs (9 speed Tiagra) I have 'fixed' on the road.

But the chance of something going wrong with the STIs is very small. And even if it does you have a RD on each side of your body (hands). Just manually move the chain to the cog you want. You can even call it neuro-electronic shifting if you want!
Old 01-17-18, 08:41 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
jedibeau, Many folks that bicycle tour have started on non touring bicycles. If you wish to continue touring you will have some experience to judge equipment for your style of touring.

Brad
Old 01-17-18, 11:02 AM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
Try it and see how it goes. From the bike being up to the job to your comfort in the saddle.
I started touring on a hybrid, which was very uncomfortable, then I converted my MTB to touring and I feel great on it, all day.
Trial and error, many times is the best way to find the perfect ride.
Old 01-17-18, 11:46 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Out here we see people touring on Road bikes riding the coast route, (all sorts of bikes , not just 'touring bikes' )

June the transamerica self supported race-tour is almost exclusively using bike backing bags..
Old 01-17-18, 07:03 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
Trial and error, many times is the best way to find the perfect ride.
+1
Old 01-21-18, 09:54 PM
jedibeau

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions! The Defy is not ideal for sure but it is very much touring around civilization so fixing any issues are no more than a cab ride away. While I think the carbon frame could likely handle it I actually decided to invest in a steel frame. I came across my dream frame for sale online and pulled the trigger. It will be here on Wednesday and I will strip the Defy and swap parts over. It will allow me to run a bit wider tire while still retaining the relaxed geometry. It is the 2016 Kona Roadhouse which makes me drool every time I see it. I am a huge Kona fan!

I will be running my set up with bike packing bags. I don't like riding with panniers although if things change the new frame can take them.

I wish I could describe how stoked I am for the nicer weather to arrive so I can go explore. I have booked off the whole summer July-Sept to ride around including a cross-BC ride from Hope to Nelson with my wife.
Old 01-22-18, 11:18 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
Best of luck. Keep us in the loop
Old 01-23-18, 12:58 PM
chineezguy

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2, Easy Racer recumbent, Raleigh Sojourn, Yuba Mundo, Kuota K-Factor

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tri Bike

I met a lady doing the Selkirk Loop on a triathlon bike with minimal gear - so minimal that I had to help her with a flat! Her spare tube had a jacked up valve, she had no patch kit and no pump, just a couple CO2 cartridges. So I patched the tube and she used my pump.