Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Quick release connections for dynamo hub

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Quick release connections for dynamo hub

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-19, 07:05 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,375 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by freckles
Hi Steve in Peoria,

I like your quick release connections! how are the Amphenol pins and sockets connected to the dynamo wiring? is it soldered or crimped?
I solder mine, but there is a crimp tool made for them. The tool is rather pricey.... I'm guessing about $100 or more?... which really only makes sense if you are using these pins quite a lot.
I also use the soldering iron to shrink the heat-shrink tubing over the wire and connector junction.

looking at-
supernova gold banana adapters- kind of expensive, some sites says need to solder connections other says crimp????
edelux coaxial adaptor- also expensive and need to solder- trying to avoid soldering as i have no experience
2.8 mm spade connectors- inexpensive, need crimper

the amphenol pins and sockets look like a more affordable supernova adaptors. I looked for images and some show an end to be crimped and others show a round cylinder?

how are your's connected?

thank you
there are pro's and con's to both crimping and soldering. If I have access to the proper crimp tool, I usually prefer it. It's faster and produces a more consistent connection.
However... soldering is useful in so many areas of electrical work that it's not a bad idea to buy a cheap soldering iron and some rosin core solder and give it a try. It's best if someone can teach you how to do it, but perhaps youtube videos are good enough?? There is a minor learning curve before you figure out how much heat is enough, how and when to apply the solder, when the flux has properly cleaned the surfaces about to be soldered, etc.

Steve in Peoria
Old 12-18-19, 08:53 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
freckles I'm curious to know why you want your lights detachable. I don't have a folding bike, and I lock my bike outside in a high bike theft city. I thought having bolted on lights would be a problem, but I haven't had any trouble.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-18-19, 09:39 PM
freckles

Bikes: BF NWT, Tern Short Haul

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
I solder mine, but there is a crimp tool made for them. The tool is rather pricey.... I'm guessing about $100 or more?... which really only makes sense if you are using these pins quite a lot.
I also use the soldering iron to shrink the heat-shrink tubing over the wire and connector junction.

there are pro's and con's to both crimping and soldering. If I have access to the proper crimp tool, I usually prefer it. It's faster and produces a more consistent connection.
However... soldering is useful in so many areas of electrical work that it's not a bad idea to buy a cheap soldering iron and some rosin core solder and give it a try. It's best if someone can teach you how to do it, but perhaps youtube videos are good enough?? There is a minor learning curve before you figure out how much heat is enough, how and when to apply the solder, when the flux has properly cleaned the surfaces about to be soldered, etc.

Steve in Peoria
for soldering- would this one from harbor freight work? https://www.harborfreight.com/30-wat...ron-69060.html
along with the helping hand to hold while soldering? https://www.harborfreight.com/helping-hands-60501.html
Old 12-18-19, 09:50 PM
freckles

hi noglider,

its for a folding bicycle that is taken apart to fit into a suitcase. i want to make the lights detachable while keeping the dynamo wiring intact when in the suitcase.

plus, i was going to buy a new head light for my Oma but realize if i add the banana or amphenol pins/sockets to her wiring too, i can use the edeluxII for both bikes!

i live in a high theft area too but don't leave my bike outside for very long
Likes For freckles:
Old 12-18-19, 11:07 PM
freckles

2.0 mm bullets

would these work for making quick connects? they are 2 mm, the supernova ones do not say what size it is.

would be for making connections to Son coaxial wiring and regular 2 wire ( on oma)

SoloGood Amass 2.0MM Gold Plated Male and Female Bullet Banana Connectors for DIY RC Battery ESC Motor (20 Pairs)

or these are 2.8mm crimping spade connectors https://www.amazon.com/Swpeet-Connec...1617011&sr=8-4
are these utter crap?
Old 12-19-19, 08:16 AM
steelbikeguy

for soldering- would this one from harbor freight work? https://www.harborfreight.com/30-wat...ron-69060.html
along with the helping hand to hold while soldering? https://www.harborfreight.com/helping-hands-60501.html
A basic soldering iron like that should be adequate. It is very similar to a 15W iron that I bought from Radio Shack and used for decades.

I've never used the "helping hands" type device, but it could be useful for holding the connector pins. I use a pair of forceps, but you can also wrap a rubber band around the grips of a pair of needle-nose pliers to get a similar function.

Steve in Peoria
Old 12-19-19, 08:25 AM
steelbikeguy

would these work for making quick connects? they are 2 mm, the supernova ones do not say what size it is.

would be for making connections to Son coaxial wiring and regular 2 wire ( on oma)

SoloGood Amass 2.0MM Gold Plated Male and Female Bullet Banana Connectors for DIY RC Battery ESC Motor (20 Pairs)

or these are 2.8mm crimping spade connectors https://www.amazon.com/Swpeet-Connec...1617011&sr=8-4
are these utter crap?
The banana style connectors could be fine. ... or might not be?
Personally, I like to stick with manufacturers that I know and who have demonstrated good quality. That's one reason why I use the Amphenol pins and sockets.
One option might be to visit a hobby shop that deals with RC cars and see if they sell one like the SoloGood ones. The shop presumably wouldn't be selling stuff that wasn't reasonably decent quality.

The spade connectors aren't designed to be connected and disconnected more than a few times. I wouldn't use them for an application where you expected to make numerous connection cycles.

Steve in Peoria
Old 12-19-19, 12:28 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I bought some RC connectors from HobbyKing that seem pretty nice. The ones I see in hobby shops look to be pretty good. If you can find a hobby shop. I imagine there are some that aren't quite as good, but probably will work okay. I had a supernova setup for 4 years and when I finally disconnected it, it was quite difficult.

I need to replenish my stock. Velo Lumino is a bit expensive, but they are nice pins.
Old 12-20-19, 10:21 AM
freckles

Originally Posted by unterhausen
I had a supernova setup for 4 years and when I finally disconnected it, it was quite difficult.need to replenish my stock.
Velo Lumino is a bit expensive, but they are nice pins.
did Velo Lumino change stock? their gold plated banana connectors are $2.00 per pair- a great deal if the same quality as the supernova ones ($15-19).
Old 12-20-19, 11:17 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I'm comparing the cost of the Velo Lumino to rc connectors, not supernova. I got the supernova connectors with my light. They are pretty elaborate and quite large for what they are.
Old 12-20-19, 11:41 AM
freckles

Originally Posted by unterhausen
I'm comparing the cost of the Velo Lumino to rc connectors, not supernova. I got the supernova connectors with my light. They are pretty elaborate and quite large for what they are.
would you recommend the Velo Lumino banana connectors over the Supernova? the VL are smaller which is a plus.
Old 12-20-19, 11:51 AM
freckles

for what it's worth, this is what I've been using with my first generation Schmidt dynamo for a very long time (18 years??)
I use some Amphenol pins and sockets. Nice reliable parts, available at Digi-key with p/n's #889-1233-ND and #889-1232-ND. No reason that any other quality pins and sockets wouldn't work too.

Steve in Peoria
the amphenol pins/sockets you referenced can be soldered in place?- they are listed as needing to be crimped? i like your set up alot and will try soldering them too unless i can borrow a crimper for it
Old 12-20-19, 04:09 PM
steelbikeguy

the amphenol pins/sockets you referenced can be soldered in place?- they are listed as needing to be crimped? i like your set up alot and will try soldering them too unless i can borrow a crimper for it
I do solder mine. It's not a problem.

As far as crimping, it's unlikely that you'll the crimper any place that doesn't use these specific pins a lot. Using any other crimper will result in either over-crimping or under-crimping.

Steve in Peoria
Old 12-20-19, 11:43 PM
freckles

I do solder mine. It's not a problem.

As far as crimping, it's unlikely that you'll the crimper any place that doesn't use these specific pins a lot. Using any other crimper will result in either over-crimping or under-crimping.

Steve in Peoria
ok, ordered the amphenol pin/sockets! i thought the price was per item! ... thinking thats kinda expensive but saw they are a 10 pack- yay! so now got extra to practice soldering
Old 12-21-19, 07:58 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

would you recommend the Velo Lumino banana connectors over the Supernova? the VL are smaller which is a plus.
Definitely. The supernova pins are too big, it's almost ridiculous. I thought I would answer your question even though you are getting something else