Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Monkey Light

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-19, 03:28 AM
Bluesfrog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Monkey Light

Wife gave me two Monkeylectric 232R's for Christmas. I like all the lights as I have been in several close calls with distracted motorists on my night time commute. Once even with the helmet mounted light right in the girl's eyes. She still tried to turn into me, with me having the right of way. I have to conclude with over twelve years commuting at night, year round that some people appear alive but can drive while brain dead! The only drawback is they really don't balance at all. Can they plug together if you mount two per wheel exactly opposite each other on the wheel to synchronize??? I am hoping someone has met this problem ahead of me and can advise. Thanks for your time, Be Well, Bluesfrog.

Last edited by Bluesfrog; 12-30-19 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-30-19, 06:44 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
the instructions suggest that the battery should balance the light, do you have the battery in the right place? I think I would try to move the battery further outboard until the wheel is balanced
Old 12-30-19, 08:31 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluesfrog
to to Wife gave me two Monkeylectric 232R's for Christmas. I like all the lights as I have been in several close calls with distracted motorists on my night time commute. Once even with the helmet mounted light right in the girl's eyes. She still tried to turn into me, with me having the right of way. I have conclude with over twelve years commuting at night, year round that some people appear alive but can drive while brain dead! The only drawback is they really don't balance at all. Can they plug together if you mount two per wheel exactly opposite each other on the wheel to synchronize??? I am hoping someone has met this problem ahead of me and can advise. Thanks for your time, Be Well, Bluesfrog.
Perhaps she couldn't see properly, since she had a headlight shining right into her eyes?
Old 12-30-19, 08:36 AM
Bluesfrog

And yes unter I put the battery opposite the light. If you had a light, and it was a flashing one, shining in your eyes wouldn't you want to stop and not drive right into it? Most people would. Be Well, Bluesfroggie.
Old 12-30-19, 11:31 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluesfrog
And yes unter I put the battery opposite the light. If you had a light, and it was a flashing one, shining in your eyes wouldn't you want to stop and not drive right into it? Most people would. Be Well, Bluesfroggie.
I think the problem is that, with the light flashing right in my eyes, I would have difficulty discerning exactly where it was coming from. And even if I could determine it's source, I would still be pissed off.

Flashing lights are good, but not when they are too bright and/or directed right into someone's eyes. It's probably best to have a flasher on the bike, set to an appropriate brightness mode (brighter in daylight to overpower sunlight). And if using a helmet-mounted light, take care to not direct it into motorists' eyes.

Just my $.04. (That's $.02, adjusted for inflation.)
Old 12-30-19, 05:55 PM
Bluesfrog

The headlight was aimed at her because she was not paying any attention and turning into me. I didn't start out to shine a light in her eyes. You can read whatever you want into things so you can be negative. But I retired from a place where lots of negative Nancys live. It is a corrections center. Be Well, Bluesfrog.
Likes For Bluesfrog:
Old 12-31-19, 12:06 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I routinely use my helmet-mounted Cygolite Metro Pro 1100 directly shining at people's eyes IF they are about to hit me or are running a light/stop sign and might possibly strike me. I don't feel one bit guilty about it. It has prevented a couple of accidents, without question, and I haven't been flipped off yet.
Old 12-31-19, 05:57 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
When I commuted a lot, I used my helmet light to get people to stop for stop signs. I'm sure I would have been hit otherwise. Nobody seemed to get too upset. I thought about getting monkeylectrics for that, but never got around to it.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 01-18-20, 12:23 PM
AstroEng
Roadkill

Bikes: Novara Verita, Novara Buzz, Radpower Radwagon

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The one's I have are not linkable (which I think is what you are asking). Since they rely on Persistence Of Vision to work, it seems like it would be very hard to get a pair both synchronized and aligned to the same radius. They are designed to give the POV effect at >10 mph with a single unit - is there a reason other than balance that you want two?

Also, note that the POV doesn't work well unless the observer is tracking your motion. Otherwise they make a cycloid and lose a lot of the POV effect.
Old 01-18-20, 12:50 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
when i commuted a lot, i used my helmet light to get people to stop for stop signs. I'm sure i would have been hit otherwise. Nobody seemed to get too upset. I thought about getting monkeylectrics for that, but never got around to it.
+1
Old 01-18-20, 01:03 PM
Bluesfrog

I wanted to connect two and synchronize them as I have two and it should BALANCE them. Yep. Be Well, Bluesfrog.
Old 01-19-20, 09:58 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 943 Posts
Is yours above a wheel light? I received a M204R for Christmas I haven't used or charged yet. Anyone have one of these ? How easy is it to go from bike to bike as I like to alternate my night ride bikes?

Last edited by Deal4Fuji; 01-19-20 at 09:11 PM.