Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

ELI5 - sealed shifter cables?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-19, 09:21 PM
lukedunk

Bikes: 2017 Yeti SB5, 2017 Ridley X-Night

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'm giving sealed cables a try, picked up a "SRAM slickwire pro shift cable system." The problem is that it comes with no instructions whatsoever and I can't seem to find anything online. There are two white/translucent cable sheaths, I assume for protecting the exposed cable run between stops. There are two different (?!) sizes of housing. One length is labeled "4.2mm Housing, Front" and is about 4 feet, with ferrules pre-installed on both ends (and seemingly pretty difficult to pop off). The other length is labeled "5mm Housing, Rear" and is about 3 feet long with no ferrules on either end. Am I supposed to run the white cable liner inside of the 5mm housing at some point? Thanks in advance!