Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2013!! How Was your Commute Today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2013!! How Was your Commute Today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-13, 08:50 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jrickards
What's a Woodford? I looked it up but only found motorcycles (although that does explain why you had to kill yourself to keep up with him).
sorry, Waterford... brain lapse. And he was riding a sleek race bike while I was riding my trusty mule packed with gear - that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Lovely morning although wet from last night's thunderstorms, 63F and NO WIND, finally. I was feeling a bit puny but just took it easy. I was planning to ride out to the speedway today (Indy 500) but think I'll either punt or take the bus
Old 05-16-13, 09:03 AM
Boudicca
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Warm, sunny, gentle breeze. So nice to be back on the bike after three days of not commuting. (Long story. Won't bore you with it.)
Old 05-16-13, 09:37 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boudicca
Warm, sunny, gentle breeze. So nice to be back on the bike after three days of not commuting. (Long story. Won't bore you with it.)
Please do tell...
Old 05-16-13, 10:01 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Was going to commute home today and back in tomorrow, but rain is forecasted for today and I'm not ready for that I may commute both in and home again tomorrow if weather cooperates. Brought clothes and stuff with me today, for tomorrow, just in case.
Old 05-16-13, 01:14 PM
jloco

Bikes: Commuter, triathlon bike, full suspension bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Great weather in Northern Utah. Just started back in on commuting to work with a Specialized Hardrock - added barends and road tires to the stock rims, works great. Getting exercise while saving gas money and spending some time outdoors...gotta love it.
Old 05-16-13, 03:10 PM
arsprod 

Originally Posted by jloco
Great weather in Northern Utah. Just started back in on commuting to work with a Specialized Hardrock - added barends and road tires to the stock rims, works great. Getting exercise while saving gas money and spending some time outdoors...gotta love it.
welcome!
Old 05-16-13, 08:45 PM
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader

Bikes: shiny red tricycle

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 97 Posts
Oh yeah, my energy is back... I've been feeling a bit lethargic on my last few rides, but today was good.
Old 05-17-13, 05:18 AM
dcb23

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Happy Bike to Work Day for those in the U.S.! (Or is it international??)

A few more bikes out than usual. But I come early, we dio expect great turnout here in DC. My Agency will do a fun ride at nnoon...debating whether to join in or not.

very nice warm ride in.
Old 05-17-13, 06:40 AM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No more bikes than normal today in my area. I did get my first left hook though. No collision but I had to slam on the brakes.
Old 05-17-13, 06:40 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dcb23
Happy Bike to Work Day for those in the U.S.! (Or is it international??)
I don't think it is which is unfortunate.

For any who are interested, today, on Bike-to-Work day, there is a 40% discount for MVP membership at MapMyRide.com.

This morning was cool, 3C (37F) and somewhat damp but my (unzipped) windshell kept the cold off my skin.

I rode a different route with more hills, steeper hills and 3.5km longer route: I can feel it in my legs. Hopefully, I will recover enough to do a longer route home tonight.

I went to watch the local cycling club train last night. A friend suggested that I join simply to include more challenging training, learn proper techniques and ensure that my bike is fit properly. The requirement to join (besides the $130 annual fee) is a road bike but the fellow I was speaking with also recommended a heart monitor and cadence monitor. The Garmin he had on his bike was probably more expensive than my old road bike, I'm not sure I can convince myself, let alone my wife, that shelling out that kind of money for that device is worth it. I might join anyway and just accept that, without those monitors, my training might not be as good as it could be.

This afternoon is forecast to be 20C (78F) and sunny so it will be a nice ride in.
Old 05-17-13, 06:48 AM
Biking Bunny

Bikes: Trek Lexa road bike and Reebok mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I lived in Sudbury for five years and never rode my bike there. I was always too scared of the crazy drivers and traffic. Good for you for getting out there.

The ride into work this morning was ok. It was a little cool. I rode in my work jeans, my work shirt and a light jacket. It was fine. The ride home should be warmer.

What's really annoying me is that the city still hasn't swept the main roads, so I've had to adjust my route when using my road bike. Oh well. They're working on it now.
Old 05-17-13, 06:48 AM
Allycat24

Bikes: All-City Space Horse, Trek 5000 WSD

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nice morning ride in. I got an earlier start than usual to avoid the masses of cyclists expected in the DC area today - last I checked, over 12,000 cyclists signed up for Bike to Work day (today). I stopped in Georgetown (first time pit stop) and though it was small compared to my old stop in Rosslyn - it was great. I mean Dean and Deluca and Sprinkles cupcakes (among others) were giving out food. Plus I got a really cool metal water bottle from the Georgetown merchants. Then I stopped at my employers pit stop. Not sure yet if I'll do the employer ride at noon - I'm not comfortable in crowds. Anyway, what a great day today, after such cool wet weather recently.
Old 05-17-13, 07:06 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Almost talked myself out of riding today due to threat of thunderstorms this afternoon, but decided to chance it since today is Bike to Work Day. I was 5-for-5 for Bike to Work Week and the weather has been great every day but today. The weather here is almost always bad here on Bike to Work Day. Whoever set the date for BTWD must have consulted the National Weather Service for the day with the highest probably of rain and severe weather because it has rained here on every BTWD that I can recall except once.
Old 05-17-13, 07:22 AM
jrickards

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Biking Bunny
I lived in Sudbury for five years and never rode my bike there. I was always too scared of the crazy drivers and traffic. Good for you for getting out there.
Where are you living now? I see you've indicated Northern Ontario. PM me if you prefer.

Yes, the potholes, drivers and traffic all have to be dealt with but (1) I ride in to work between 6-7am so traffic is light (and the crazy drivers are still having their coffee), (2) I avoid the main streets as much as possible, going through residential areas instead and (3) I've just learned to adapt.

Originally Posted by Biking Bunny
What's really annoying me is that the city still hasn't swept the main roads, so I've had to adjust my route when using my road bike. Oh well. They're working on it now.
Same here, I've had to adjust my path, not so much overall route, to avoid patches of grit on the roads. The sweepers are getting to them though.
Old 05-17-13, 07:27 AM
CJ Str3tch

Bikes: GIANT Defy Advance Pro 1, Giant ToughRoad SL1,

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This morning, woke up to light rain. Thought about not riding in to work. Saw the radar and decided to go for it. Started out cold (50-ish degrees) and light rain. Rain was done half way through the commute and everything was dry by the time I got to work. Now, an hour later, looking outside and seeing the massive down-pour of rain. ------ Smiling!
Old 05-17-13, 07:35 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,633 Times in 944 Posts
Chilly 67°F this morning
Old 05-17-13, 07:43 AM
arsprod 

Happy bike-to-work day! It was cool to see so many folks on the mup giving it a try. I made a point of saying good morning to everyone I saw (I'm normally not that sociable!!). 64F, no wind, really nice ride. Unless something unexpected happens this evening today will complete my first 5 for 5 week this year - pretty weird considering it's mid May and most weeks I've ridden 4 of 5, but life is always interrupting my fun.
Old 05-17-13, 07:49 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Pouring rain this morning, so no commute. Hey I just started this week! I need to get the details of commuting worked out before I try it in the rain. Plus I'd rather not do it on my still relatively new road bike, at least not regularly.

At least I did commute some on Bike to Work Week!
Old 05-17-13, 08:02 AM
JPinWI

Bikes: Schwinn DBX, Trek 820

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Almost talked myself out of it due to light rain...but it is bike to work day...the most holiest day of all for us adherents to the teachings of the Church of the Spoken Wheel. Timing is everything and I only rode in the rain for the first couple of miles. Got to work, showered and at my desk before it really cut loose with a regulation downpour. Happy Friday and Syttende Mai!
Old 05-17-13, 08:19 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
Almost talked myself out of riding today due to threat of thunderstorms this afternoon, but decided to chance it since today is Bike to Work Day. I was 5-for-5 for Bike to Work Week and the weather has been great every day but today. The weather here is almost always bad here on Bike to Work Day. Whoever set the date for BTWD must have consulted the National Weather Service for the day with the highest probably of rain and severe weather because it has rained here on every BTWD that I can recall except once.
i hear you. i did not ride today We are trying to get out of town for a camping trip so I drove. (cuts down on stress at home) I sure hope the weather people are wrong about this weekend. I really wanted to ride today. I have ridden 2 days a weeks since April 25,26. I was hoping for more next week since I am off thursday and friday but my wife informed me we have places to be in the evenings. <- that sure does make it hard to ride and enjoy it when I am racing home to make it somewhere every night.
Old 05-17-13, 08:44 AM
PatrickGSR94

ah yes, I cannot commute on Monday or Wednesday evenings because my wife teaches a Zumba class, so I have to be at home at 5 PM on the dot. I would have to leave the office at like 3:40 or so to make that, which isn't really feasible.

I will have to commute either on Tuesdays/Thursdays, or split it up and ride home T/Th evenings and back in on W/Fr mornings.
Old 05-17-13, 08:56 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
I can almost make it home in the same amount of time as driving. it is just the putting away of the bike, showering to get back out the door that complicates things.
Old 05-17-13, 09:02 AM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
After some balmy mornings recently, I was a bit daunted by the 6C shown on the thermometer this morning, but the sun was shining and there was no wind, so it ended up being a gorgeous morning commute.

I jumped on a trail to find another commuter hot on my heels. It looked like he was trying to pass, so I sped up a bit and he hung back. Then he found a little off-road shortcut and jumped ahead of me, so I pedaled hard to catch up. Judging by his quads, he looked like he should have been able to kick my butt quite easily. Reminded me of a scene from the Princess Bride:

Man in Black: Look, are you just fiddling around with me or what?
Fezzik: I just want you to feel you're doing well.

Anyway, I chased him for a mile or so and then he turned right and I turned left, and that was that.

Did a little experiment today. I wanted to see what kind of gear inches would be good for a single speed for me, so I put my IGH in 6th gear (my normal flat-land cruising gear) and left it there the whole commute. It's a bit tall for some of the climbs, but I made it. I'll try again on the trip home.
Old 05-17-13, 10:26 AM
jrickards

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by groovestew
Did a little experiment today. I wanted to see what kind of gear inches would be good for a single speed for me, so I put my IGH in 6th gear (my normal flat-land cruising gear) and left it there the whole commute. It's a bit tall for some of the climbs, but I made it. I'll try again on the trip home.
Cool idea! Probably got a good workout from it.
Old 05-17-13, 10:43 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
couldn't bike in today - had to drive wife to work. if i had dropped her off before i rode, she'd end up at work around 5:30am - which she gave me the evil eye about...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.