Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Peugeot PSN10 Fork ID Help

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-17, 10:18 PM
mzr

Bikes: Who cares?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'm looking at a what I think its a '85 Peugeot PSN10, but something caught my eye looking at the pictures. The catalog scan at bikeboompeugeot.com is too low res to make out, but did the PSN10 ever come with a track-style fork? All the pictures I can find have a sloping crown, and also have the Peugeot logo engraved on the fork. The bike I'm looking at also doesn't have the 'Vitus' stickers (or residue) on the fork legs. I know it could possibly be changed when built, but it is odd. My skeeze meter is going off on this one, it also kind of looks like poor chroming on the fork.

These are the pictures of the fork:

Old 01-24-17, 12:08 AM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
Fork does not look like the full sloping chromed fork with the Peugeot lion pantographs that the PSN's and PSV's from that time. It is most likely a replacement fork. That is why you do not see any evidence of the SV980 fork decals on them.
Hopefully it was not a replacement made necessary by crash damage ( it would be good to ceck the TT and DT near the headstock for any signs of deformation). Only other reason I can think of why the PO might have changed the fork is to change the rake for quicker handling, as the front geometry on the Mid 80's Peugeots with SV980 frame and forks was quite relaxed, with a very noticeable bend at the tips that were more common on older bikes......
Old 01-24-17, 07:32 AM
SvenMN 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Agreed, looks like a replacement.

Of my 3 past/present PSN-10s all have had the pantographed chrome fork with the small SV980 decal. Here is a PSN-10T example:
Old 01-24-17, 07:55 AM
mzr

Bikes: Who cares?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That is what I was afraid of. The price on this bike was fair, not great but not bad. It has a replacement rear wheel, which I believe the original was a Helicomatic so no big loss there. It also has a ding in the top tube, and combined with the replacement fork and the seller not wanting to budge on the price I think I'll keep looking.

On the off chance the seller moves on the price, how difficult would it be to find a original fork? I'm thinking they're not very common.

Last edited by mzr; 01-24-17 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-24-17, 08:24 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 656 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,044 Times in 1,880 Posts
I concur, it is almost certainly non-OEM. A replacement fork is generally indicative of a crash. That Vitus decal may be obscuring a stressed down tube. Check the top of the top tube for signs of paint cracking immediately behind the head lug. Also there may be wrinkling/deformation of the metal immediately behind the head lugs on the underside of the top and down tubes. Sometimes, it's easier to feel this than see it.