Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Tern Frame Recall

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Tern Frame Recall

Old 06-28-15, 02:00 AM
Agar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To reply to a PM I was sent (which I can't reply to as I've got less than 50 posts) Believe me, that's what I've been trying to do (regarding posting this on the Tern forum). I do want people to know and be safe. I posted to the Tern forum right after my accident but I am still waiting for my post to be approved. I'm not hopeful it will be though. More searching the Internet around this problem seems to be coming up with other posts removed from the forum regarding frame failures.
Old 06-28-15, 12:03 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
dealer you bought it from would have been my 1st contact..
Old 06-28-15, 03:09 PM
Agar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I emailed the dealer (Evans Cycles) and Tern the same day as (attempting to) post on their forum. So far only Evans have responded. Evans should warranty replace the frame*, but Tern also should be warned about the failure and investigate if this is another bad batch that needs a recall.

*I'd hope to get a refund, as I will never ride a Tern again, but I won't hold my breath. I couldn't in all good conscience sell a replaced frame either, if I don't trust it structurally why should anyone else? This is about getting any other dangerous bikes off the roads before more people get hurt, hence contacting Tern directly.

Last edited by Agar; 06-28-15 at 03:54 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-28-15, 04:12 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
Should I be worried about my TernJoeP24? Now I'm afraid to ride it.
Old 06-29-15, 06:09 AM
firewave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well my distributor told me my Link P9 frame not affected last round of recall, but my confidence dived too much and I actually hardly ride it anymore since then...

But it could have been just my excuse for N+1
Old 06-29-15, 06:12 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
N+1 seems to be everyone's final excuse.
Old 06-30-15, 09:22 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
I've hit the wall with this mess. I once objected to the Downtube owner being so hard on Tern, but I was wrong, he was right. Tern had a serious problem with their frames at inception, and clearly still doesn't know exactly how bad it is. Based on this I have no reason to believe they actually know why the frames failed, or if they've fixed the problem on 2015 bikes. No Terns for me.
Old 08-12-15, 06:18 AM
thaipantsman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tern verge x10

given all the negative experiences on verge does this mean we would be unwise to purchase a second hand verge x10 2013 model??

Originally Posted by HGR3inOK
FWIW, certain Verge and Eclipse models were recalled in the U.S.A. last year. See:
Stile Products Recalls Tern Folding Bicycles Due to Fall Hazard | CPSC.gov

I believe certain Verge and Eclipse models were also recalled in Europe last year. The recent (05/16/14) report of a Verge X10 frame failure in England appears to be an instance where the dealer failed to replace the frame of a Verge that was subject to the 2013 recall before selling the Verge X10 to a customer.

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA
Old 08-12-15, 09:25 AM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
I've hit the wall with this mess. I once objected to the Downtube owner being so hard on Tern, but I was wrong, he was right. Tern had a serious problem with their frames at inception, and clearly still doesn't know exactly how bad it is. Based on this I have no reason to believe they actually know why the frames failed, or if they've fixed the problem on 2015 bikes. No Terns for me.
Joe,

Thanks for the positive mention. My apologies for not responding sooner. I find this never ending issue upsetting, and I want to stay away from it.

Thanks,
Yan
Semi-active chess player ( two time Bahamas National Champion )
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 08-12-15, 09:28 AM
downtube

Originally Posted by thaipantsman
given all the negative experiences on verge does this mean we would be unwise to purchase a second hand verge x10 2013 model??
The problem is not the recall....recalls normally fix problems which is a positive thing. The problem is the information documented at Tern Link D8 frame shearing in two | Tern Folding Bike and Folding Bicycle Accessories | United States it is disheartening to read. It will take you many hours to read and it will be an eye opening experience.

Thanks,
Yan
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 08-12-15, 09:32 AM
HGR3inOK

Bikes: Brompton H6L-X, Dahon Curve D3

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
IMHO, it would be unwise to purchase any product that has been the subject of a "recall" without first determining the status of the specific unit being considered. That said, in 2008, I purchased a Dahon Speed P8 whose handle post was the subject of a recall. Dahon replaced the handle post, and that bike served me well for over five years. When I sold the bike, I disclosed the "recall" and showed the purchaser the proof that the handle post had been replaced.

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA
Old 08-12-15, 04:34 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1646 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
IMHO, it would be unwise to purchase any product that has been the subject of a "recall" without first determining the status of the specific unit being considered.
In the USA, it is in fact illegal for either a retailer or an individual to sell a product that is under active recall - obviously (or not on this list) once the item has been modified/repaired/inspected/replaced as per the manufacturer's 'fix', a product is no longer under recall.
Old 08-13-15, 12:00 AM
thaipantsman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes Yan but worrying if one is a Tern owner.
Old 08-13-15, 12:01 AM
thaipantsman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agreed Hank!

IMHO, it would be unwise to purchase any product that has been the subject of a "recall" without first determining the status of the specific unit being considered. That said, in 2008, I purchased a Dahon Speed P8 whose handle post was the subject of a recall. Dahon replaced the handle post, and that bike served me well for over five years. When I sold the bike, I disclosed the "recall" and showed the purchaser the proof that the handle post had been replaced.

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA
Old 08-13-15, 05:00 AM
downtube

yes Yan but worrying if one is a Tern owner.
Can you clarify? I don't understand.

Thanks,
Yan
Old 08-14-15, 12:24 PM
hopperja

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 22 Posts
Posted this on Tern forums:

I have a Tern Link P9 I purchased direct from Tern. It's an early model, with SN starting with A111132. Of course, the recall starts with A111133. This makes me concerned, because if it breaks I could lose my career (my job requires me to be fully able). I have confirmed with Tern (Dale) that my frame is not under recall. At least one other has reportedly had a frame break that was outside of the scope of the recall.

Last night, I took a close look at the weld/joint. I noticed a couple white lines about 3/8" long that perfectly contour the weld. They are along the right side of the frame. I'm not sure if that's an early sign of problems to come or something else.

Combined, this makes me hesitant to ride it, even though it rides well and fits me perfectly. It probably only has 300 miles on it, so it's got low miles given it's age.

On a side note, I did not register my Tern and did not receive notice of any recall. I bought it directly from Tern, so I didn't think it was necessary.

Here's a picture of one of the white lines that contour the weld:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (99.2 KB, 101 views)
Old 08-14-15, 03:26 PM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hopperja
Here's a picture of one of the white lines that contour the weld:
FWIW, I can hardly see anything in the photo. Maybe there is a real photographer here, but the flash is overwhelming so you might get a better shot during the day.
Old 08-14-15, 04:19 PM
hopperja

Yes I know he picture isn't the greatest. And yes, the white line is difficult to see. It's also difficult to see with the naked eye. I had to use the light (it's actually not a flash) to get exactly the lighting that allows the camera to see the line.
Old 08-14-15, 05:14 PM
smallwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Yes I know he picture isn't the greatest. And yes, the white line is difficult to see. It's also difficult to see with the naked eye. I had to use the light (it's actually not a flash) to get exactly the lighting that allows the camera to see the line.
this looks like a crack to me. i would suggest sanding the paint off of that weld so you can get a good look at it. don't ride this bike anymore until you know for certain.

Old 08-17-15, 11:11 PM
hopperja

I contacted Tern. They graciously offered to exchange my frame. I'm very pleased with this, as this bike fits me so well and is such a joy to ride.

Kudos to Tern, their customer service, and standing behind their product!
Old 08-18-15, 08:50 PM
kurtp13

Bikes: Trek 820, Cannondale F500 with Trekking bars and road tires, Bianchi Alfana, Panasonic PCI "Les Maillots", Cannondale M1000 Tandem, Schwinn Johnny, Trek Lime, 1964 Armstrong, 1962 Raleigh Gazelle, 1964 AMF Hercules, Brooklyn Cruiser Driggs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this looks like a crack to me. i would suggest sanding the paint off of that weld so you can get a good look at it. don't ride this bike anymore until you know for certain.

I would suggest not touching the area at all. Good intentions could eliminate some evidence of the fracture surface. Tern may want to look at the surfaces to find the Root Cause. It may be a bad weld but it could be due to another cause. Don't even push the surfaces back together, that can damage the fracture surfaces. The best thing you could do is cover them and avoid any other damage. This is for the benefit of other users.
Old 08-19-15, 06:31 AM
mulleady
The Metropolis, UK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yan, with the greatest respect, if you want 'to stay out of it' as a bike company owner, why keep commenting? Surely you would simply hold your own counsel? I know you may feel some concerns but isn't it best kept private in your position?
Old 08-19-15, 08:05 AM
downtube

Originally Posted by mulleady
Yan, with the greatest respect, if you want 'to stay out of it' as a bike company owner, why keep commenting? Surely you would simply hold your own counsel? I know you may feel some concerns but isn't it best kept private in your position?
Francis,

I responded to two other comments that were directed at me.....add this one and that makes three. I normally respond to comments.

I would respectfully disagree that I would be best keeping my thoughts private. I share my thoughts on a daily basis, I'm an acedemic.

Thanks,
Yan
Old 08-19-15, 10:36 AM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not getting into this at all, its ridiculous at best.

However, here a tidbit which probably means more than some snide comments from a disgruntled Josh Hon ( Tern) acquaintance

I have a wonderful Lady at my side, I love her to pieces.
She rides a Tern
( me anyhow, but that doesn't count )
If I had any smitten of a doubt about Terns quality , she would ride a Dahon.

thor
Old 08-19-15, 12:06 PM
mulleady
The Metropolis, UK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Respectfully Yan, you are speaking as 'Downtube' (A folding bike brand) not as an 'academic'. Do you think that's fair?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.