Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Need some bike advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-17, 08:29 PM
chaosdsm

Bikes: Schwinn Solara road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need some bike advice (purchased)

EDIT: Bike has been purchased: Schwinn Solara

Used to ride everywhere '84 through '98, but I broke down & bought a car in early '98 & my last bike, a modified '78 Schwinn road race bike, was stolen a few months later

In the almost 2 decades since, I gained about 75 pounds before dropping 30lbs in the last 5 years to my current weight of 215lbs. Ideally, I would like a road bike that can handle 325lbs....

Why 325 pounds you ask... well I have a few plans for the bike. Primarily, it will be used for fitness rides which may last 4 - 6 hours, which means a spare tire, 2 spare tubes, tools for repairs along the way, snacks, a rain suit, small first aid kit, a 20oz bottle of Vitamin Water for each estimated hour of riding, and at least 2 gallons of water.

To the bike itself, I'll be adding 2 LED headlights (about a pound a piece with the batteries & handlebar mounts) an LED tail light, fenders, a tire pump, a big fat comfy seat, and a rear luggage carrier onto which a bag (with most of the extras listed in the paragraph above) will be strapped.

My winter leather jacket weighs 8 pounds + my other winter gear weighs about another 8 pounds, which puts a theoretical max fairly close to 300 - 310 pounds & add 5% for margin of error. Realistically, there will probably be no more than 275lbs on top of the bike... All the bikes I've looked at so far have a stated load limit of either 225 or 250 pounds But haven't had the chance to hit up the good bike shops yet, hope to do so this weekend.

Budget for the bike itself - not more than $300 & preferably under $200.
Not sure what frame size I used to ride, I think it was 19" but it's been too long since I built my last bike. I'm 5' 10" with a 29 1/4" inseam
Wheel size 26" or 650c not more than 1.75" wide.

Last edited by chaosdsm; 04-23-17 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-14-17, 08:42 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,218 Posts
You looking to ride a road bike or you want something more like a mountain bike. What city would work for you if you used craigslist?
Old 04-15-17, 12:45 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
325lbs on a $300 bike is unlikely to work out well unless you're skilled at buying used.
And on a road bike at that? Even less likely.
A touring bike might give you a drop bar and deal with that weight. But good touring bikes tend to hold on to their value better than road bikes.
If it was me, I'd look for an older rigid 26" MTB, then do a drop bar conversion with a Shimergo shifter/drivetrain.
Old 04-15-17, 06:19 AM
gattm99
Rouleur

Bikes: ROAD MOUNTAIN

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Far be it for me to judge, but I think your plans are a bit nuts, unless you're preparing to ride through a war torn country, zombie apocalypse, frigid wasteland ect...

At your weight you can ride anything out there, don't worry about it.
Old 04-15-17, 08:10 AM
chaosdsm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gattm99
Far be it for me to judge, but I think your plans are a bit nuts, unless you're preparing to ride through a war torn country, zombie apocalypse, frigid wasteland ect...

At your weight you can ride anything out there, don't worry about it.
What does any of my plans have to do with riding through war torn countries, the zombie apocalypse, or a frigid wasteland??? I've cycled thorough a tropical depression, I've cycled through days of rain, I've cycled below freezing... hell, I've ridden my motorcycle down the interstate at 75MPH when it was 28F.

What's wrong with having snacks, hydration, and tools to fix breakdowns on 50+ mile ride??? One of the last times I was inline skating, there was a cyclist on the trail with a blown tire about 12 miles from his car... Plus, this is Florida, we get rain when there is 0% chance of rain... What's wrong with being prepared for rain? Riding 30+ minutes straight line to get back to shelter in a unexpected downpour is so much more comfortable in rain gear What's wrong with not letting cold weather put a halt to riding?

I take it you've never been on a long bicycle ride without a support team. It's not fun getting 10, 20, 25 miles out & getting a blown tire in the middle of nowhere. I've had probably 6 or 8 times that I've had to walk 20, 30, 40 minutes to a phone & call 3 or 4 people to get rescued. Of course that was before cell phones, but still getting in touch with someone who is actually available to come help can be problematic.

At 215 lbs & a minimum of +20 lbs extras on long rides, I'm not riding a bike made for 225 pounds, that's just asking for problems.... I broke a weld on the Diamondback (cheapest one they made in the early 90's) I had before I bought that Schwinn, & I only weighed about 165 - 170 pounds then, but I also regularly carried 20 - 40 pounds of groceries on it 2 or 3 times a week.
Old 04-15-17, 08:25 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Man... I do 4hr rides with what fits in the jersey pockets and 2 water bottles.

I must be crazy.

1 spare tire, one patch kit (overkill imho, but I carry it anyway in case I help someone else), tire levers. Debit card, $20 in cash in slim wallet and the cell phone.

Oh and snacks.

Out of curiosity, you are in central Florida? What the heck is "winter gear" for?

Last edited by rgconner; 04-15-17 at 08:31 AM.
Old 04-15-17, 08:27 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
BTW, the Sekai touring bike in my sig cost me $25 at a garage sale. $175 more than covered getting it into running condition.

Sure, it was old Suntour gear, 7 gears, but that stuff is built like a tank. Get the grime off it and it works like a charm.
Old 04-15-17, 08:44 AM
chaosdsm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rgconner

Out of curiosity, you are in central Florida? What the heck is "winter gear" for?
In the last 10 years, I've skated on inlines dozens of times at temps under 40F & a few times near freezing. I've ridden my motorcycle at temps as low as 26F. Sure we don't get a lot of "cold" days here, but I don't let the few we do see stop my routines as long as there's no ice around.
Old 04-15-17, 09:06 AM
NoGears

Bikes: Kona Big Unit Single Speed, Kona Private Jake Single Speed, Jamis Renegade Elite

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I routinely do 4-6 hour rides and never need to take 50 pounds of gear. That's insane. A couple tubes, some CO2, maybe a pump, patch kit, levers, multi-tool, tire boot....will all fit in a saddle bag and weigh a couple pounds. Two bottles on the bike and if you can't plan refill stops on your route, use a hydration pack for more water. A top tube bag can fit 6 hours worth of nutrition no problem.

And an 8 pound leather jacket on a bike is about the most ridiculous idea I've ever heard on a bike. Get some proper lighter weight cold gear. You should be able to ride in 40 degree weather with not much more than a long sleeve jersey or arm warmers and a very light windproof jackets, gloves, and maybe a beanie under your helmet. All that is light enough and can pack up in your hydration pack.
Old 04-15-17, 09:41 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,218 Posts
https://orlando.craigslist.org/bik/6076033252.html

https://orlando.craigslist.org/bik/6079497737.html

https://orlando.craigslist.org/bik/6081005521.html

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/bik/6072286563.html

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/bik/6068776257.html

Last edited by curbtender; 04-15-17 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-15-17, 09:44 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Find a good hybrid and then carry the least you think you'll need.

Here's my hybrid with racks and all, on a 4 hour ride yesterday. In Texas winter, I usually have a small trunk bag with a jacket in it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20170414_092910.jpg (99.8 KB, 155 views)
Old 04-15-17, 10:05 AM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chaosdsm
Used to ride everywhere '84 through '98, but I broke down & bought a car in early '98 & my last bike, a modified '78 Schwinn road race bike, was stolen a few months later

In the almost 2 decades since, I gained about 75 pounds before dropping 30lbs in the last 5 years to my current weight of 215lbs. Ideally, I would like a road bike that can handle 325lbs....

Why 325 pounds you ask... well I have a few plans for the bike. Primarily, it will be used for fitness rides which may last 4 - 6 hours, which means a spare tire, 2 spare tubes, tools for repairs along the way, snacks, a rain suit, small first aid kit, a 20oz bottle of Vitamin Water for each estimated hour of riding, and at least 2 gallons of water.

To the bike itself, I'll be adding 2 LED headlights (about a pound a piece with the batteries & handlebar mounts) an LED tail light, fenders, a tire pump, a big fat comfy seat, and a rear luggage carrier onto which a bag (with most of the extras listed in the paragraph above) will be strapped.

My winter leather jacket weighs 8 pounds + my other winter gear weighs about another 8 pounds, which puts a theoretical max fairly close to 300 - 310 pounds & add 5% for margin of error. Realistically, there will probably be no more than 275lbs on top of the bike... All the bikes I've looked at so far have a stated load limit of either 225 or 250 pounds But haven't had the chance to hit up the good bike shops yet, hope to do so this weekend.

Budget for the bike itself - not more than $300 & preferably under $200.
Not sure what frame size I used to ride, I think it was 19" but it's been too long since I built my last bike. I'm 5' 10" with a 29 1/4" inseam
Wheel size 26" or 700cc not more than 1.75" wide.
I hate to say this but your post sounds more like a Troll than someone really looking for a bike. Two gallons of water? Eight pound jacket in FLORIDA? Yeah right. You haven't ridden a bike ten feet in the last 20 years but you're going to be doing 6 hour rides? Give us a break.
Old 04-15-17, 11:24 AM
chaosdsm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No I haven't ridden in 19 years, but I've inline skated in several half and full marathons, last marathon in 2014, and I currently walk between 75 & 90 miles a week, about 90% of that as part of my job. Yes the jacket is big & heavy, but it's all I currently have that actually blocks wind.

Sorry if I drink more water than a fish, always have, used to go though about a gallon in those skating marathons.

I'm only looking for used bikes. I've scratch built several bikes & repaired dozens more for myself & friends, so even a bike in relatively poor condition - as long as the frame in still in good shape - is fine.

I'm not looking for "life" advice here, I'm looking for bike advice based on my personal preferences & needs as stated in my original post, please stick to that. Everyone has their own personal preferences & tolerances. What works for you might not work for me, what works for me might not work for you - like being prepared for multiple contingencies in a single ride... In that vein, are there any brands that I should stay away from based on my original post?

I hate Craigslist.... but that 2nd Cannondale looks nearly perfect, and I know stock Cannondale road bikes can handle close to 300 pounds....

If I decide instead to go the scratch built route yet again, who are some good frame manufacturers still making cromoly steel frames???
Old 04-15-17, 11:57 AM
dabac

....are there any brands that I should stay away from based on my original post?
The bicycle industry is very homogenous. Similar money buys you similar quality regardless of brand.
Even department store bike frames and forks will usually do OK structurally.
Aluminium frames seems to be more prone to cracks than steel frames.
Old 04-15-17, 08:54 PM
chaosdsm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by longbeachgary
I hate to say this but your post sounds more like a Troll than someone really looking for a bike.
Well, I was trolling in a sense, just not in the flame bait sense, at least not intentionally. I trolled around town for 6 hours today till I found this Schwinn Solara road bike, at Target of all places. I had hoped to find a better used steel frame bike, but the aluminum frame Solara is rated for up to 300 pounds and was $200. At 26 pounds, it's not the lightest bike I've ever owned, but it's not too bad

Definitely gonna need some changes like 26" or 27"wheels in place of those 28's to lower it down a hair, the larger more comfy seat I've been eyeballing, and top rail mounted shifters, as well as fenders, frame mounted tire pump & rear rack, but all-in-all, seems like a decent bike that should last at least a couple of years!
Attached Images
Zxmw6Rjl.jpg (53.6 KB, 144 views)
Old 04-15-17, 09:50 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, I was trolling in a sense, just not in the flame bait sense, at least not intentionally. I trolled around town for 6 hours today till I found this Schwinn Solara road bike, at Target of all places. I had hoped to find a better used steel frame bike, but the aluminum frame Solara is rated for up to 300 pounds and was $200. At 26 pounds, it's not the lightest bike I've ever owned, but it's not too bad

Definitely gonna need some changes like 26" or 27"wheels in place of those 28's to lower it down a hair, the larger more comfy seat I've been eyeballing, and top rail mounted shifters, as well as fenders, frame mounted tire pump & rear rack, but all-in-all, seems like a decent bike that should last at least a couple of years!
I stand corrected - you are not a Troll. Enjoy your bike.
Old 04-16-17, 01:57 AM
dabac

Definitely gonna need some changes....wheels... seat ...top rail mounted shifters, as well as fenders.... rear rack...
Bike parts are a lot more expensive bought piecemeal than when bought on a bike. Buying a bike with the immediate thought of thorough changes is usually poor economy. Unless you're very skilled at bargain hunting, or have a big stash of parts, you may well be looking at another $200 to get the bike like you want it

....26" or 27"wheels in place of those 28's to lower it down a hair,
27" tires have a bead seat diameter - where rim and tire overlap - of 630 mm, while 28"/700C tires have a BSD of 622 mm. For the same width tire, going to 27" will make the bike ride HIGHER, not lower.
Or are you thinking about the 27.5" size?
Those have a BSD of 584 mm, and will for the same tire width lower the bike with 19 mm, abt 4/5".
The most common 26" have a BSD of 559 mm and would lower the bike by 31 mm, abt 1 1/5".
Since the bike has rim brakes, any big change of wheel diameter will require you to rework the brakes too, as the pads will no longer line up with the brake track on the rims.
Unless you plan to offset some of the lowering by using wide tires - of switching to shorter cranks, I'd be real wary about riding a 28-to-26 conversion. You'd better learn fast not to pedal while turning.

...I found this Schwinn Solara road bike, at Target of all places.
A 14-speed, from a department store, for $200 is quite likely to have a freewheel - as opposed to a cassette - rear hub. Those are well known to bend or break axles under heavy riders/riding. Count the teeth on the smallest sprocket. Freewheels usually start on 14, while cassettes tend to start on 11-12.
The frame might be rated for 300 lbs, but I don't think a 7-speed freewheel would last long under that load.
...top rail mounted shifters...
What's that?
Old 04-16-17, 08:41 AM
chaosdsm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
What's that?
a rail = horizontal bar or tube

Guess you've missed this part of my earlier post: [/quote]I'm only looking for used bikes. I've scratch built several bikes & repaired dozens more for myself & friends, so even a bike in relatively poor condition - as long as the frame in still in good shape - is fine.[/quote] I was already prepared to spend an additional $300 over my $300 bike budget to get it how I want it.

As for the wheels, being brand new, I can easily trade them in at my local shop, possibly even straight across for a decent set of used 26's, though I'd still need new tubes, tires, & possibly new cassette. Looks like a Shimano Hyperglide Freewheel copy on there.
Attached Images
lPVQXsml.jpg (55.7 KB, 123 views)
Old 04-17-17, 12:54 AM
dabac

a rail = horizontal bar or tube
I know what a rail is.
But I've never heard any part of a bike referred to as the "top rail"

For bikes, the most common use of of the word is in "saddle rails".

Which doesn't seem to fit.

Are you talking about the top TUBE? And want top tube shifters?

Never seen one in person since the old banana seat muscle bikes.
Given that I've scraped my knee even on an overhanging cable stop, I wouldn't want one.

To each his own I suppose.
Guess you've missed this part of my earlier post:
I'm only looking for used bikes.
No.
And obviously you aren't, since you bought a brand new bike from Target.

I was already prepared to spend an additional $300 over my $300 bike budget to get it how I want it.
Indeed it is.
I still think spending $600 on a complete bike would have gotten you a better bike.

As for the wheels, being brand new, I can easily trade them in at my local shop, possibly even straight across...
Your shops and your used parts scene must be different than mine.
Basic wheelsets are plentiful at those few shops who deal with used and take-offs. I wouldn't be able to make a straight trade unless I accepted a BIG drop in quality.

.... 26's.
So what are you going to do about the brakes when you swap from 28" to 26"?

Last edited by dabac; 04-17-17 at 01:04 AM.
Old 04-18-17, 04:34 PM
Dennis609

Bikes: '02 Surly Cross Check, '88 Schwinn Tempo

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I find this thread oddly captivating.
Old 04-19-17, 07:31 AM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dennis609
Like a car crash ... wow ...
Old 04-19-17, 07:55 AM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Leather jacket to ride a bike in winter? You haven't lived until you ride in fur. My preference is sable.
Old 04-19-17, 07:58 AM
Dennis609

Bikes: '02 Surly Cross Check, '88 Schwinn Tempo

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ill.clyde
Like a car crash ... wow ...
Car crashes. 16 pounds of H20, plus an additional pound for each hour on the bike. Midget porn. All of these things are impossible to turn away from, try as you might.

OP, I salute you.
Old 04-20-17, 08:43 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by tunavic
Leather jacket to ride a bike in winter? You haven't lived until you ride in fur. My preference is sable.
No love for chinchilla? That would be my choice. Am requesting Sidi make me some Custom shoes made with blue stingray also
Old 04-20-17, 03:25 PM
DjDavo

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dennis609
I actually scrolled down twice to double check I didn't miss a page LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.