Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Getting started on my first SS build. Have some questions.

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-17, 04:02 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Hey everyone, I'm about to take possession of an (I think) '07 Kona Paddy Wagon frame, which I intend to build into a single speed. A little backround on me, I ride (older) road and mtbs - all of which I've built myself, and ride around 40 miles daily. I'm a fairly strong rider and not particularily worried about hills, and since I already have a geared road bike thought it would be fun to also own a SS to try something different. I'll be buying all my parts used on CL and eBay. Anyway here are my questions:

* How wide is the rear hub spacing generally on SS bikes? 120mm is what I've read, is that correct? And what
about the front?

* Also, is the bottom bracket width the same as on geared road bikes?

So yeah I'm pretty stoked about this build, and any additional advice is appreciated - thanks.
Old 04-13-17, 04:25 PM
j_e_r_e_m_y

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
Sounds like a fun project! I used to have Paddywagon, and I thought it was a great bike.

As for spacing, the rear is 120mm, and the front 100mm. I don't know if it's the same a s geared road bike, but the BB width on the Paddywagon is 68mm, and it's English threaded. Hope that helps!
Old 04-13-17, 04:36 PM
exmechanic89

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by j_e_r_e_m_y
Sounds like a fun project! I used to have Paddywagon, and I thought it was a great bike.

As for spacing, the rear is 120mm, and the front 100mm. I don't know if it's the same a s geared road bike, but the BB width on the Paddywagon is 68mm, and it's English threaded. Hope that helps!
That helps a lot - thanks.
Old 04-15-17, 12:54 PM
NoGears

Bikes: Kona Big Unit Single Speed, Kona Private Jake Single Speed, Jamis Renegade Elite

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can use a standard hub with spacers as well. Give you the option to run a cassette if you ever decide to or if you swap the wheels onto another bike. Also helps maintain resale value and really, single speed specific hubs really don't offer anything more than a geared hub does except maybe some additional POE but not enough IMO to warrant using one.

Front is no different nor is the bottom bracket.
Old 04-15-17, 05:48 PM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
Go fixed.
Old 04-17-17, 06:36 PM
exmechanic89

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by NoGears
You can use a standard hub with spacers as well. Give you the option to run a cassette if you ever decide to or if you swap the wheels onto another bike. Also helps maintain resale value and really, single speed specific hubs really don't offer anything more than a geared hub does except maybe some additional POE but not enough IMO to warrant using one.

Thanks for that info.
Old 04-18-17, 09:24 AM
SirSoyrizo
gimm* gr***s

Bikes: 2017 Soma Rush

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by exmechanic89
Hey everyone, I'm about to take possession of an (I think) '07 Kona Paddy Wagon frame, which I intend to build into a single speed. A little backround on me, I ride (older) road and mtbs - all of which I've built myself, and ride around 40 miles daily. I'm a fairly strong rider and not particularily worried about hills, and since I already have a geared road bike thought it would be fun to also own a SS to try something different. I'll be buying all my parts used on CL and eBay. Anyway here are my questions:

* How wide is the rear hub spacing generally on SS bikes? 120mm is what I've read, is that correct? And what
about the front?

* Also, is the bottom bracket width the same as on geared road bikes?

So yeah I'm pretty stoked about this build, and any additional advice is appreciated - thanks.
Usually front 100 and back 120, sometimes 130. Most BB on SS's are 68mm english threaded. It may take a pretty long time to build a decent setup if you're only going to be buying from CL or ebay you may want to look at investing in some new quality (or at least decent) parts for the long run.
Old 04-18-17, 09:30 AM
exmechanic89

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SirSoyrizo
Usually front 100 and back 120, sometimes 130. Most BB on SS's are 68mm english threaded. It may take a pretty long time to build a decent setup if you're only going to be buying from CL or ebay you may want to look at investing in some new quality (or at least decent) parts for the long run.
So I did pick up the frame last Friday as planned. It looks really good, seems pretty light and should make a nice ride. On the parts I'm may look for a whole bike and then swap the parts over, which I've done before on other builds. Should be cheaper than buying the parts piecemeal. I can always upgrade the parts to better stuff down the line if I like the bike - which I think is likely.
Old 04-18-17, 09:41 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by NoGears

Originally Posted by exmechanic89
Thanks for that info.
Good luck with your new bike but FYI that was terrible advice for a frame with 120mm rear spacing like yours
Old 04-18-17, 11:49 AM
NoGears

Bikes: Kona Big Unit Single Speed, Kona Private Jake Single Speed, Jamis Renegade Elite

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IAmSam
Good luck with your new bike but FYI that was terrible advice for a frame with 120mm rear spacing like yours
The question asked and answered was

"* How wide is the rear hub spacing generally on SS bikes? 120mm is what I've read, is that correct? And what
about the front?"

I've built 5 single speed bikes to date and all use a standard rear mountain bike hub, 135 QR or 142x12.

Last edited by NoGears; 04-18-17 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-18-17, 06:25 PM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Apparently you need better reading comprehension my friend...

The 1st sentence of OP's post stated that he was about to get a Kona Paddy Wagon frame, to which his questions pertained. There was no good reason for you to answer as though he was asking about a MTB, or even a roadie