Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

So I built a Black Mountain Cycles Road Bike...

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-16, 03:27 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

So, I've been riding for 3 years now. I really enjoy riding, but I've also found that I really enjoy wrenching on bikes. Over the last 3 years, I've slowly learned how to work on each of the various parts of a bicycle. That being the case, I got it in my mind that I'd one day want to build a bike from the frame up. I figured I could use stuff that I had laying around the garage and buy what I didn't have and throw it all together.

So, I started keeping my eye out for steel frames that I wanted to build. Initially, I was just thinking of buying something and selling it, but as I got into it, I figured I might as well build towards something I would like so I could keep it and ride it. After looking around for a while, I started this thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...tml?highlight=

I finally settled on the Black Mountain Cycles road frame after heading good feedback from @dr_lha on his build with them as well as speaking with Mike Varley. I liked his one man approach to producing affordable, steel bikes. Not to mention, I dug the color of his current road frame. So, I reached out and talked to him about what I was planning. He made me a good package deal on the frameset + the parts I was missing, so I ended up ordering everything through him. Paid via Paypal, he got it all shipped out fast and it showed up, well packed at my door last Tuesday.

My goal was to take my time with it, but it was too much fun and I got it 98% knocked out by Friday afternoon. I was missing a couple of parts, so I stopped there. I did a 150 bike tour over Memorial Day weekend, then had some stuff to catch up on when I got back. Today, I finished the build.

It was a fun process. Not really any gotcha's at all. I'm sure buying the stuff from Mike certainly helped with that. I have to admit, I was a little disappointed how easy it was. I thought there would be some tougher part in there, but all in all, it just worked and went by fast. I did goof up one brake cable, but picked up another one over the weekend and fixed that.

I didn't use any books, just stuff I've picked up along the way, GCN videos and a couple of calls to Mike. He was very cool about answering some questions over the phone and getting everything squared away.

I'll post some pics up in the following posts. With no carbon fiber parts (that I can think of) no-name Taiwanese steel frame and fork, lower end SRAM Rival, run of the mill wheels, the bike came in weighing 20.0 lbs with every thing but the pedals. I tried hard to get it to say 19.9, but 20.0 was the best I could get the scale to read. So with Ultegra, Force, DuraAce, Red, it would be well under 20. For a no-name, nothing special, non branded tubeset and cheap steel fork.

Hoping this rain will let up so I can put some miles on it. Thinking about taking it on vacation with me next week if all the long test rides go well.

Here's a pic at the final build point with pedals:
Old 06-02-16, 03:31 PM
Jarrett2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
More pics from the build:

Old 06-02-16, 03:33 PM
Jarrett2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Old 06-02-16, 03:35 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
20lbs is great with the steel fork. Looks great as well. Yep, building bikes is easy, I rebuilt my DB over the weekend and it took no time at all.

I love my monster cross, took it out for a 20 mile gravel ride on Friday and it was so much fun. Sadly my riding is curtailed right now while I wait for my wife to go into labor!
Old 06-02-16, 03:35 PM
Jarrett2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
More pics from the build:

I should mention this is for a 56cm with the headset already pressed in and the front DR installed. Not sure how much less that would have made it.
Old 06-02-16, 04:45 PM
Turzy

Bikes: Kona Lana'i, Cannondale CAADX Disk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
great looking bike !
Old 06-03-16, 01:08 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
I should mention this is for a 56cm with the headset already pressed in and the front DR installed. Not sure how much less that would have made it.
Why does the scale read "411.0"?
Old 06-03-16, 05:03 AM
Jarrett2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Why does the scale read "411.0"?
Hehe, its 4 lbs 11 ounces or 4.6875 lbs which includes the frame, the Chris King headset, the front DR clamp, shim, front DR and chain catcher.

The uncut fork weighed 2lbs 2 ounces or 2.125 lbs. I'm not sure how much it weighed after I cut the steerer tube down.
Old 06-03-16, 07:01 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Hehe, its 4 lbs 11 ounces or 4.6875 lbs which includes the frame, the Chris King headset, the front DR clamp, shim, front DR and chain catcher.
Thanks.

The uncut fork weighed 2lbs 2 ounces or 2.125 lbs. I'm not sure how much it weighed after I cut the steerer tube down.
Did you keep the bit of the steerer tube you cut off?

If you weigh that you can then subtract from the uncut fork weight.
Old 06-03-16, 07:20 AM
Jarrett2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Did you keep the bit of the steerer tube you cut off? If you weigh that you can then subtract from the uncut fork weight.
Looks like it was a little over an ounce. So around 2 lbs for the cut fork.

Looks like I'd save 1.2+ lbs if I went to an Enve 2.0 fork, putting it in the 18 lb range similar to my Gunnar. But that would also increase the price $387. Might as well get a Ritchey Road Logic or Fairdale Goodship frameset for that amount.
Old 06-03-16, 08:03 AM
Duck0872

Bikes: 2014 Motobecane Mirage SLX, 2017 Cannondale Quick 5 Disc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice build, that's a good looking ride. I must admit that for myself, riding the bike is really only half the fun. Wrenching on it is the other half!
Old 06-03-16, 08:18 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Looks like it was a little over an ounce. So around 2 lbs for the cut fork.

Looks like I'd save 1.2+ lbs if I went to an Enve 2.0 fork, putting it in the 18 lb range similar to my Gunnar. But that would also increase the price $387. Might as well get a Ritchey Road Logic or Fairdale Goodship frameset for that amount.
Sometimes it's not about weight. The lugged fork looks really nice IMHO. Not as nice as the one on the Monster Cross... but there you go.
Old 06-03-16, 12:31 PM
Jarrett2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
Not as nice as the one on the Monster Cross...
Say wha?
Old 06-03-16, 02:09 PM
Jarrett2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just punching some numbers in, this $595 no-name tubeset Asian frame (with free fork) weighs essentially the same (.2 lbs more) as my $950 Gunnar Roadie True Temper OX Platinum frame. Something to keep in mind when considering a new steel frame.

I'm sure the Ritchey Road Logic frame is lighter than both, but I wonder how much the Fairdale Goodship frame weighs by comparison.

It seems paying for a named tubeset these days doesn't necessarily mean significantly lighter pr perhaps even better.
Old 06-03-16, 06:07 PM
corwin1968

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Nice bike! I enjoy following Black Mountain's blog. The guy knows his stuff.

I also dig the "Grok" mixer bottle in the background!
Old 06-03-16, 06:19 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Just punching some numbers in, this $595 no-name tubeset Asian frame (with free fork) weighs essentially the same (.2 lbs more) as my $950 Gunnar Roadie True Temper OX Platinum frame. Something to keep in mind when considering a new steel frame.

I'm sure the Ritchey Road Logic frame is lighter than both, but I wonder how much the Fairdale Goodship frame weighs by comparison.

It seems paying for a named tubeset these days doesn't necessarily mean significantly lighter pr perhaps even better.
Yes --- I have "nicer" framesets in inventory, -- but I am very pleased with the Columbus Aelle framesets I used in my youth - so much so that I am restoring my Aelle tubed race wagon from 1995, and while I am busy compiling parts/ getting it re-sprayed, etc. - I purchased an identical Aellle frame from the same maker, only different color to ride in the meantime with a triple chainring groupset on it

Difference, --- about 1 to 1.5 pounds over the super thin Pegaso tubeset w/ carbon rear seat stays on my recently built Pinarello with Dura Ace

-- basically not enough to quibble over for my tastes
Old 06-04-16, 07:04 AM
americanrecluse

Bikes: 2015 Trek FX 7.3

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ooh that brand new unmolested paint job on the frame is so pretty! Great job. You got a handsome bike!
Old 06-04-16, 09:28 AM
hammond9705

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 105 Posts
Nice bike. It's fun building up frames, and allows you to get it just the way you want

2 small notes
-I think that you have too much cable housing going into the rear der
-I would rotate the bars some. Typical is to have the ends parallel to the ground
Old 06-04-16, 10:52 AM
Jarrett2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah, newbie mistake. I added too much housing at the rear. Shifts great, but I'll fix that when I change cables at some point. And I rotated the bars down this morning as part a fit adjustment.

I just got back from taking the new bike out for a 40 mile shakedown, group ride and I came back really impressed. That frameset is nice! Rides really smooth. No flex detected even when I stood on a 10% hill and got after it. Got it up to 34.4 mph on a descent and it was nice and controlled. The SRAM Rival 22 shifted great. I think I can tweak it once the cables break in and get it even smoother.

Overall, I came back way more impressed with this bike than I expected to. Mike Varley is making some cool bikes out there. Everyone that saw it really dug the orange. At first, I didn't like the color as much as I'd hoped, but once I got all the parts on there, I think it looks pretty dang good.
Old 06-04-16, 02:28 PM
dbikingman

Bikes: mountain bike, road bike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice looking bike. Thanks for the detailed report and information I found it useful.
Old 06-06-16, 10:08 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 179 Posts
Mike Varley does make it easy to put his bikes together. Almost everything about what you need to know is on his website.

I do like like new orange of his road bikes better than my V3 cross bike. It's a bit more subdued.

Steel is such a comfortable material to ride. Last week I rode 72 miles into Philly and it felt great.

Old 04-14-17, 06:49 AM
Rdbkdave68

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweet Ride

That's my dream bike! I'm hopefully picking one of them soon.
Old 04-14-17, 07:50 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Oh hey, they are out in Point Reyes Station, one of my favorite towns!

Gonna have to hop on the BMW and ride out there to check them out... safer than the car, I don't think I could strap a bicycle to it!
Old 04-17-17, 12:26 PM
Jarrett2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdbkdave68
That's my dream bike! I'm hopefully picking one of them soon.
I don't think you'll regret it. Working with Mike Varley on my two bike builds was one of the best cycling purchases I've made.
Old 04-17-17, 01:27 PM
NoGears

Bikes: Kona Big Unit Single Speed, Kona Private Jake Single Speed, Jamis Renegade Elite

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try getting warranty service on a no-name asian frame. If it happens at all...you'll be out months of time and a lot of money for shipping the frame back to the factory. So sure...if you aren't concerned about warranty...sometimes the cheap frames are a good option. But if paying more gets you a good warranty from someone reputable...that's worth some of the cost IMO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.