Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Ask the Community

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Ask the Community

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-18, 07:32 AM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
I have some chain cleaning questions. Been using mineral spirits with a Park Tool chain cleaner, and it does a wonderful job. Do I need to apply something to the chain after using the paint thinner to neutralize it?

As far as filtering out the old crud, I will probably use a coffee filter. Should the filtered mineral spirits go back into the original bottle, or should I start a new bottle for used paint thinner?

Dave

Last edited by bonsai171; 07-14-18 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-16-18, 08:08 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
I would make sure it has a chance to dry completely and then use a good lube or wax your chain (with actual wax).

As far as used spirits I would probably put them in a new bottle and mark it well. I wouldn't mix dirty and clean stuff even with filtering.
Old 07-17-18, 09:09 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes

As far as used spirits I would probably put them in a new bottle and mark it well. I wouldn't mix dirty and clean stuff even with filtering.
Yup. Great way to repurpose pasta sauce jars.
Old 07-18-18, 08:15 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
Been using mineral spirits with a Park Tool chain cleaner, and it does a wonderful job. Do I need to apply something to the chain after using the paint thinner to neutralize it?

No, there's no need to neutralize mineral spirits. Just let them evaporate or blow them off with compressed air, then lubricate the chain in the usual fashion.

As far as filtering out the old crud, I will probably use a coffee filter. Should the filtered mineral spirits go back into the original bottle, or should I start a new bottle for used paint thinner?
No need to filter, either. Store the used spirits in a separate container and allow the particulate matter to settle out. Decant off the clean spirits the next time you need to clean the chain. Replenish with new spirits as needed from the original container.
Old 07-19-18, 08:32 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
It's new bar tape day on my hooded lever set-up...

Should I do the extra bits of tape wrapped around the lever-clamps routine to make sure no handlebar shows through?
Or do the racy wrap the tape around in one quick take that leaves a little bit of the bar visible behind the hoods thing to show that I'm chill and am not worried about it?
Old 07-19-18, 09:15 AM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by IAmSam
It's new bar tape day on my hooded lever set-up...

Should I do the extra bits of tape wrapped around the lever-clamps routine to make sure no handlebar shows through?
Or do the racy wrap the tape around in one quick take that leaves a little bit of the bar visible behind the hoods thing to show that I'm chill and am not worried about it?
You can wrap in a way that doesn't use the little extra pieces and doesn't have any gap behind the hood. It's a bit difficult for me to explain by text but I'll say it's a bit like wrapping a figure eight and keeping it tight the whole way around.
Old 07-19-18, 10:54 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by hairnet
You can wrap in a way that doesn't use the little extra pieces and an'tdoesn't have any gap behind the hood. It's a bit difficult for me to explain by text but I'll say it's a bit like wrapping a figure eight and keeping it tight the whole way around.
Thanks for the suggestion - I did something like that once before but of course I can't be sure it is exactly the same as your way. I haven't done it again because it felt kind of bulky in the "figure eight" area to me...
Old 07-19-18, 03:12 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
I like how the guy does it in the Park Tool tutorial video on YouTube. It's a good compromise between leaving some bare metal showing and stacking up lots of bulky tape around the brake clamp area.
Old 07-25-18, 06:47 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by hairnet
Yup. Great way to repurpose pasta sauce jars.
Uhh my pasta sauce comes from a pot that has been on the stove for a long ass time. I don't have these extra pasta sauce jars. What do I do???

Pretty easy pasta sauce:
Chop an onion or two. Sauté in good extra virgin olive oil on medium heat till they get translucent. Add a lot garlic and dried basil and some salt and optional crushed red pepper, cook for another minute. Then add red wine (get stuff you would drink not stuff for cooking) and a few cans whole peeled tomatoes. Cover and let that cook on low heat stirring every so often and crushing the tomatoes on the side of the pan until you get the desired consistency. I recommend cooking it all day but if you are doing that you may want to just cook the onions and garlic in a pan and then transferring that to a crock pot and just letting it go with occasional stirring. Make sure you check it for seasoning at the end and add salt or pepper as needed.

Super tasty and pretty easy to make. It tastes good on anything.
Old 07-27-18, 11:00 AM
WesleeC

Bikes: State 4130 Matte Black 6, Artic White Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking to get my first clip-less pedals for my Wabi. If I'm used to coming out of straps at stops and what not, will clipping out come naturally?
Old 07-27-18, 12:12 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by WesleeC
Looking to get my first clip-less pedals for my Wabi. If I'm used to coming out of straps at stops and what not, will clipping out come naturally?
It's a different technique, obviously, but I adapted pretty quickly. After you fall a couple times your brain gets programmed in a hurry.
Old 07-27-18, 12:12 PM
labcoat

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its different, you will fall a few times but you will likely pick it up quickly.

I started on SPD's with the tension set low to get use to clip less got it in about a week this was like 2 decades ago.

Even when I was off the bike for a while I picked it up again well just like riding a bike.
Old 07-27-18, 12:14 PM
WesleeC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
It's a different technique, obviously, but I adapted pretty quickly. After you fall a couple times your brain gets programmed in a hurry.
Originally Posted by labcoat
Its different, you will fall a few times but you will likely pick it up quickly.

I started on SPD's with the tension set low to get use to clip less got it in about a week this was like 2 decades ago.

Even when I was off the bike for a while I picked it up again well just like riding a bike.
Great thank you guys! Today's payday so I'm taking the plunge.
Old 07-27-18, 12:17 PM
labcoat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WesleeC
Great thank you guys! Today's payday so I'm taking the plunge.
go out first on some grass so the tumble doesn't hurt so bad.

best of luck

R
Old 07-27-18, 01:57 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
^^ +1

A grass field at the local school is perfect for the first time.
Old 07-27-18, 03:47 PM
WesleeC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
go out first on some grass so the tumble doesn't hurt so bad.

best of luck

R
Ya that's a great idea. Thanks.
Old 07-29-18, 02:19 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
I have an older Miche Primato Advanced ISO crankset that came with an FBM sword frameset I bought. The crank is fine but the bottom bracket is on it's last legs. Looking to replace it but want to avoid the original Miche 107mm ISO adjustable bottom bracket.

Was thinking of using this instead: https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...bottom-bracket or this https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...bottom-bracket

Reason being is I don't want to mess with the adjustable cups anymore. Also, the crank barely clears the chainstay (Backs of the spider have been filed down some already) so I figure the 109mm spindle length can't hurt. I don't really care if it gives me a 43mm chainline.

Is there any reason not to give this a go? Hopefully Scrod can chime in since I'm sure he has lot of experience with this . Figure if it doesn't work out I can always purchase Sugino 75 arms but those aren't cheap and it's my around town bike so less bling the better.

Last edited by REDMASTA; 07-29-18 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-30-18, 01:07 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
What ever happened to the BFSSFG Strava club?

Does someone still maintain it? Last I saw it there were only 3 or four people on it.

I think it would be cool to see everyone's rides.

-Tim-
Old 07-31-18, 09:09 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by REDMASTA
I have an older Miche Primato Advanced ISO crankset that came with an FBM sword frameset I bought. The crank is fine but the bottom bracket is on it's last legs. Looking to replace it but want to avoid the original Miche 107mm ISO adjustable bottom bracket.

Was thinking of using this instead: https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...bottom-bracket or this https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...bottom-bracket

Reason being is I don't want to mess with the adjustable cups anymore. Also, the crank barely clears the chainstay (Backs of the spider have been filed down some already) so I figure the 109mm spindle length can't hurt. I don't really care if it gives me a 43mm chainline.

Is there any reason not to give this a go? Hopefully Scrod can chime in since I'm sure he has lot of experience with this . Figure if it doesn't work out I can always purchase Sugino 75 arms but those aren't cheap and it's my around town bike so less bling the better.
You'll be fine using a Sugino 75 or Tange 109mm ISO BB. A chainline being "off" by 1mm isn't anything to lose a wink of sleep over.
Old 07-31-18, 10:05 AM
phobus

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
What ever happened to the BFSSFG Strava club?

Does someone still maintain it? Last I saw it there were only 3 or four people on it.

I think it would be cool to see everyone's rides.

-Tim-
I'm interested too. Most of the people in my Strava feed are local, but it's nice to see where everyone else is riding.
Old 07-31-18, 05:41 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
You'll be fine using a Sugino 75 or Tange 109mm ISO BB. A chainline being "off" by 1mm isn't anything to lose a wink of sleep over.
Great thanks!
Old 08-13-18, 08:27 AM
labcoat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I am looking for a 26.6mm Seat post for my not single speed, So who makes them?

I am hoping to keep it to less then $50 preferred a 2 bold zero set back in black but you know what they say about beggars and choosers.

I only found one by Origin8 on e-bay but its 400 mm long and silver. I was hoping you guys might have an idea were I can find one.

Thanks in advance.

R
Old 08-13-18, 10:42 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
So I am looking for a 26.6mm Seat post for my not single speed, So who makes them?

I am hoping to keep it to less then $50 preferred a 2 bold zero set back in black but you know what they say about beggars and choosers.

I only found one by Origin8 on e-bay but its 400 mm long and silver. I was hoping you guys might have an idea were I can find one.
Maybe this ? >>> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Origin8-Sea...53.m1438.l2649

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 08-13-18, 10:55 AM
labcoat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TT thanks that fits the bill
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Old 08-13-18, 04:18 PM
Philasteve

Bikes: Surly CreamRoller. 98 Giant Rincon. SE UVT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Does anyone know anything about the quality of Zeus track frames from the 70s, a older company from Spain? Saw one on craigslist for $500 with Sugino 75 Cranks, Campagnolo Record BB, and Surly hubs laced to Mavic Open Pros I'm thinking about picking up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.