Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My darkest vintage bike moment...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-18, 07:44 PM
styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked 1,081 Times in 303 Posts

... that in the end turned bright – with a lot of twists and turns. And I must say – it is a crazy story!

Background:
When I started to get into bicycling I had no money. That was a problem. I wanted the new and cool stuff. I was starting out - bicycling as much as I could. Since I could not afford the new parts I soon sort of had to get into the older stuff. This was in the early to mid 80ies. I have told this story before here. When the new stuff (C-record, C d A and Chorus) were in the catalogues I sat there and drooled but could not buy anything.

I thought to myself – “Nuovo and Super Record has been around for a long time at top level – it can’t be that bad” – and I started to buy what I could afford of the old stuff. I bought it to use it. The parts were not considered vintage. They were just obsolete. Not vintage, not collectors stuff – the parts were just on their way out in the cold.

I went to bike shops and asked what parts they had and if they wanted to get rid of them. Some shops kept their old prices (expensive) but other shops almost gave the parts away.

In Sweden there was (and is) a tradition of thinking that Crescent and Monark are high quality stuff. I was of course affected by this and got an old Crescent Pepita Special. Reynolds 531 and Nervex. People around me thought I was crazy restoring a bike that was just over ten years old. I knew no one that was interested in racing bikes – modern or not modern.

Parallel to this I got hold of some Swedish magazines from the beginning of the 70ies and a bit later I got hold of late 60ies early 70ies French Miroir du Cyclisme and bike starved as I was I consumed them totally. I read them over and over again. Reading the text as much I could (understand) and studying pictures in detail.

Somewhere at that point I started to dream about early 70ies Colnago, De Rosa, Masi and Pogliaghi. There were hints about these brands between the lines in the magazines. Remember – the magazines were not new but not very old either. I did not consider them “vintage” at that time. Almost nothing was told straight forward but I soon understood that these brands were something else – even if none of their names were on the frames. Molteni, Faema, etc. it said but I understood there was something else in it.

I saw the different marks, hearts, clovers/clubs, slots and somewhere there I started to dream of owning them. Thru the early 70ies Swedish magazines I knew there had been a couple of shops importing Colnago at that time. Small ads telling me there was hope. I talked to the Petterson brothers about their Masi: s. What had become of them?

Finding any early 70ies bike of any of these makers here was trying to find a needle in a haystack. But the hunt never seized. I have told the story of how I found my first early Colnago Super here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...uld-speak.html

And how I many years later found my 1971 Ferretti/Masi/Monark here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...bike-long.html

That Masi and I live happily together. My wife is sometimes jealous...

The Colnago Super has been a totally different story. A sad story and it went on for a long time.

I got it for free but it had some small - but never the less - front end damage at the headtube and fork. Again remember – this was before you could browse ebay and find a couple of early 70ies Colnago Super for sale any day of the week. I just had to repair it. It was first sent to Eddy Merckx in Belgium for repair but they never got around to fixing it. Then it was sent to Italy and time went by. Things happened (and not) and in the end it was lost there. Never to be found again. There were a lot of reasons and explanations but it was lost. I mourned.

Damned are the reasons and explanations...

Meandering story (bear with me...):
Time passed and the internet was up and running since long. These early Colnagos were now vintage, collectors material and expensive. One day a Colnago frame surfaced and it was in my size - and it was cheap. The seller was not into vintage bike and just sold it as is. Thru details I put it at 1973 (you know – circa as always). There was a reason for the low price (not far from for free). It had the wrong fork. Finding a correct early 70ies Colnago fork for sale on itself would be almost impossible – hence the price.

The frame was a Colnago Super with all of the known clover/trifoglio attributes but the fork had a spade instead of a clover on the fork crown. As we are now in sort of modern time’s googling told me that Ernesto sponsored multiple teams with bikes in the early 70ies and in some parts of Europe there was a rule that said you could not sponsor more than one team at the time. To get around it Colnago had a brand called Colner (COLNago ERnesto it is said to derive from). Instead of clover/clubs it had spades as a logo.

The brand soon became a cheaper version Colnago made by subcontractors (which Colnagos also was when production rose in the mid 70ies) but its origin was rule originated and the frames in the beginning were the same as Colnago except for the clovers/spades.

I bought it. I wanted an early 70ies Colnago. The fork did not belong there but the frame was cheap.

This all happened some years ago (I do not remember but I believe it was around 2011-13). I got the frame home and then it has lingered in the back of my hobby work shop. I almost forgot it.

But all this time, now and then, I have searched for a Colnago Super fork. The frame as I said has all the signs of a circa 1973 Colnago. So has the fork, apart from the spade of course, as it has fork reinforcement tangs with two holes. One larger and one smaller hole. Later the fork reinforcement tangs had a small clover cut out. Colnago was not calendar bound but the shift to clover cut out tangs was around 1974.

A couple of weeks ago there was a Colnago Super frame and fork up for auction in the UK. The frame was modernized with braze ons for everything and it had been powder coated in the worst imaginable way. It looked as it had been covered with putty. You could hardly see the lugs (I mean it!). If the seller reads this I apologize - but it was horrible. Yet – and I really mean it – I am forever in this guys debt. The fork was pristine. And fully chromed. It had the right fork crown, fork tangs and it had the right steerer tube length.

I wrote him and asked if he would split the frame and fork and gave him an offer for the fork not far from what he wanted for the whole package. He could keep the frame. He wrote me back saying that normally he would not split them but my offer was fair – and he accepted. I am forever thankful.

Waiting for the fork to get home. After work one day I went out to my hobby work shop and dug out the Colnago. There was only a half head set on (races and upper threaded cup) and I removed the fork. Expecting nothing – just tinkering and checking the frame – waiting for the fork. I have had luck finding information on steerer tubes before but this tops it all!

“Ijsboerke” and “AD” written on the steerer tube. This got me googling and:
The Belgian Ijsboerke team was sponsored and “had/got” to use Colner: s in the beginning of the team’s history. That history started in 1973-4. It seems the team was named Ijsboerke-Bertin in 1973 and Ijsboerke-Colner in 1974. I bought the bike from Belgium or Holland – I do not remember which. It is dark blue. The colour of the Ijsboerke team. Decals are later but most of the paint seem original to the frame and fork.

Now I start to investigate the frame and fork closer. Looking at the rear right drop out there is a “24” stamped on it. The fork has “24” also. OK – I admit I am a nerd – this is the good stuff! They actually belong together. And here I have been searching for a Colnago fork all this time! The frame has been there in the corner these years and I have not even bothered to check it properly. I felt like an amateur at that moment.

But it gets even more fun and intriguing. Studying the fork I find yet another number. It is on the other side of the steerer tube. “29”. Thinking I have it wrong I look at the rear drop out again. And behold – underneath the “24” there is a “29” stamped. What the h-ll!! What were they doing at Colnago that day? Was it after lunch? Some wine and grappa? Some mistake was done and the frame was re-stamped. Which makes the frame and fork connection even stronger. They are identification stamped not only once but twice together.

One can dwell on the thought behind/reasons/course of events leading up to a Colnago Super frame getting Colner branded fork. We will never know exactly what happened or was the intention. But of course it has something to do with Ijsboerke.

The net is the nerds best friend.

I started to investigate the Ijsboerke team. And low and behold – going thru the team members there is an André Delcroix in 1974. “AD” on the fork.

Palamares:
André Delcroix

Here in a picture where it says Ijsboerke-Colnago on the jersey:

OK – here I am – with a Colnago branded frame and a Colner branded fork. They belong together. And to a high level of certainty it is a team frame for a named rider. AND I have a Colnago fork that I have been searching for, for years on end, on its way to me from the UK.

Does the peculiarities end there?

No.

Today I got the fork.

It is perfect.

What does it say on the steerer tube?

What can I say?!

What are the odds?!

There is something strange about early 70ies Colnago Super: s and me.

It is never going to be easy.

I could have shut my mouth – built a Colnago Super with matching “24” frame and fork, clubs/clovers all over - and that would have been it. But the story is too good not to be told.

What shall I do from this point forward…

This one is far in the future on my build list which means I have plenty of time to decide. What happens during that time… Maybe my lost forever in Italy turns up after 20 years! And has “24” stamped all over it.

Last edited by styggno1; 08-16-18 at 07:52 AM.
Old 08-15-18, 07:46 PM
styggno1
Steel is real

Old 08-15-18, 08:06 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts

Old 08-15-18, 08:15 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 211 Posts
That's a very interesting story. Thanks for sharing it and enjoy your rare find!
Old 08-16-18, 03:00 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,463 Times in 1,130 Posts
Fabulous story!
Thanks.
Brent
Old 08-16-18, 03:06 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
Very well narrated! I can certainly sense the excitement on your part. Looking forward to that clear perfect weather day when you roll out on it after the build.

Keep the the story going...
Old 08-16-18, 04:22 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Great story. You know what is going to happen.

He is going to be crossing the street and you are going to hit him at 30kmh.

You both will break the same arm.

The bike will be put on the back of a car and you'll share a liter or two of Elephant or Tuborg.

Then he can say he was run over by his own bike.

Then you can say you finally met the guy, but wouldn't do it twice...
Old 08-16-18, 04:43 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
This calls for a minor abomination - sealed bearing headset that allows you to swap forks fast. That way this gorgeous bike can sport the fork that fits the occasion.

Ben
Old 01-02-19, 02:49 PM
styggno1
Steel is real

Bought a scale yesterday. This is what a 59 c/c Colnago Super from 1973 weighs. 1,970 + fork = 2,690 kg or 2,700 kg depending on fork...

Old 01-02-19, 11:32 PM
corn on the cog 

Bikes: 1971 Raleigh Int'l, ~1973 Motobecane Grand Record, ~1980 Fuji S-12-S, 1991 Bridgestone RB-1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Brilliant story. I was enthralled. And can somewhat relate: for years now a Raleigh Gran Sport frameset has hung in my basement, from a bike previously owned by Sheldon Brown. Problem is, the steerer tube is compromised from some kludging Sheldon appears to have inflicted upon it. So I’ve been looking for the right-sized fork ... as yet to no avail.